Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

But the Browns also have a very good OL and two outstanding RBs. Sometimes the other guys just beat you.

That's the part that sucks.  We spent too many resources on the DL to just get overmatched but, except in that one sequence where Sweat individually took the game over, their OL and backfield were better than our front.

Not fun seeing a DL I had so much faith in have problems matching up.  We're a lot worse without Chase Young.

In terms of the line, they certainly got worn down as the game went on, but we were pretty strong up front through at least the first half. Its not like they were getting beat the whole game.

Especially after seeing the browns the week before and getting a good feel for what they can do, I think our line performed very well, especially considering the injuries. Even in the second half there were large holes created where guys were given the opportunity to make plays. Those plays just did not materialize from the backend.

I don't hold a lot of those run directly against the D-line as they provided their end of the bargain.

On 9/30/2020 at 6:17 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's the part that sucks.  We spent too many resources on the DL to just get overmatched but, except in that one sequence where Sweat individually took the game over, their OL and backfield were better than our front.

Not fun seeing a DL I had so much faith in have problems matching up.  We're a lot worse without Chase Young.

Young is the only real elite difference maker on the DL. The rest of the guys all cap out around pretty good. Sweat might reach very good(which would be like Ryan Kerrigan territory) but that's it.

On 9/30/2020 at 3:17 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I did not see the DL get overmatched in the least bit versus the Browns. I do not have the stats in front of me, but my guess is 40% of the rushing yards came in the 4th quarter. I thought the DL dominated the line of scrimmage for much of the 3 quarters, then wore down. If you want to downgrade for the 4th quarter, I can somewhat hear that. 

Disclaimer, this is all off recollection as I do not watch all 22 or rewatch games. 

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Young is the only real elite difference maker on the DL. The rest of the guys all cap out around pretty good. Sweat might reach very good(which would be like Ryan Kerrigan territory) but that's it.

Maybe just a semantics thing, but I think Settle, Payne and Allen are all pretty good to good right now, Io is good to very good, and Kerrigan’s safely in ‘good’ territory.  Agree about Young and Sweat.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wit33 said:

I did not see the DL get overmatched in the least bit versus the Browns. I do not have the stats in front of me, but my guess is 40% of the rushing yards came in the 4th quarter. I thought the DL dominated the line of scrimmage for much of the 3 quarters, then wore down. If you want to downgrade for the 4th quarter, I can somewhat hear that. 

Disclaimer, this is all off recollection as I do not watch all 22 or rewatch games. 

I thought Bitonio and Wyatt Teller in particular were dominant against us, but maybe they weren't as good as I remembered.  Still, the way they pounded us on the ground is evidence that they were dominant, and it looked like we had major trouble fitting.  Looked like the Browns were good in pass pro too outside of that one series where Montez kept lighting up Wills.

Makes me wish we had gotten Conklin.  He's been a part of great run blocking units every year of his career.  We didn't even sniff around with him as far as I can tell.

Anyway, things aren't going to get better this week.  That Ravens OL is awesome.  Even more talent and athleticism in that group than Cleveland has.  Plus you have to factor in Lamar Jackson as a sixth blocker on any play because of the way he runs.  I'll feel a lot better about our DL if we can match up and stop the run this week.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Anyway, things aren't going to get better this week.  That Ravens OL is awesome.  Even more talent and athleticism in that group than Cleveland has.  Plus you have to factor in Lamar Jackson as a sixth blocker on any play because of the way he runs.  I'll feel a lot better about our DL if we can match up and stop the run this week.

It feels like between Arizona, Cleveland, and Baltimore we've already faced what could wind up being 3 of the top 5 rushing attacks (QBs factored in of course) in the league. Seems like it gets a bit easier after this finally. 

Payne is graded poorly almost every week by PFF but when I hear people who are supposed to be in the know talk about him its always positive feedback.

Meanwhile, Vita Vea grades out much better than Payne each week, I know the Bucs don't expect the ridiculous amount of reps out of Vea that Payne gets but is Payne underperforming?

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Payne is graded poorly almost every week by PFF but when I hear people who are supposed to be in the know talk about him its always positive feedback.

Meanwhile, Vita Vea grades out much better than Payne each week, I know the Bucs don't expect the ridiculous amount of reps out of Vea that Payne gets but is Payne underperforming?

I don't know if he's underperforming. I just don't think he's a great player. He ranges somewhere between pretty good to good, which is fine I guess for a mid 1st rounder.

There really isn't much difference between Payne, Allen, and Settle, which is alarming since the former two are 1st rounders.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

All of these comments change if Chase Young is in the game... and Ioannidis to some extent. Game 1 is a prime example. Payne is taking the double teams right now. If Young's in the game, they can't double team everyone and Kerrigan/Sweat, etc, all get to eat. 

Our issue is with the MLB's still not covering tight ends and getting off the field on 3rd downs. Of course, this has a lot to do with so many 3-and-outs from our O.

Payne is not the problem.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

He's a great run defender and has been close to a few sacks. He nearly got one against RG3 and caused that interception for Fuller. We probably shouldn't expect Payne to be a huge sack guy for a DT, it's never been his game.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

All of these comments change if Chase Young is in the game... and Ioannidis to some extent. Game 1 is a prime example. Payne is taking the double teams right now. If Young's in the game, they can't double team everyone and Kerrigan/Sweat, etc, all get to eat. 

Our issue is with the MLB's still not covering tight ends and getting off the field on 3rd downs. Of course, this has a lot to do with so many 3-and-outs from our O.

Payne is not the problem.

Yep that was my point though. Young is a game changer. The rest are all pretty good to good but will play better next to someone as dynamic as Young.

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

At some point when I have time I’m going to go snap by snap with Payne.

Did that for the 1st half.  Payne generally had good push and disruption in both run and pass.  Didn't show on the stat sheet or highlight reel but was impressive in my opinion. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

At some point when I have time I’m going to go snap by snap with Payne.

4 hours ago, Snagletooth said:

Did that for the 1st half.  Payne generally had good push and disruption in both run and pass.  Didn't show on the stat sheet or highlight reel but was impressive in my opinion. 

I would love to see this. He is who I generally try and watch when we're on defense and he makes some absurdly great plays that would never show up on sportcenter.

I know that stats aren't there, but Allen, Payne and Sweat are all having a very good year.

• Like 1

the D-line noticeably got winded way faster without that deep rotation, which is completely expected.

Does not help when Anderson makes one of the worse read option takes I have seen in my life when he chooses not to take on the QB or RB and go inside on both of them. Lamar literally made the incorrect read and there is zero consequence b/c Anderson just blows by everybody. I was pulling the few hairs I have left on my scalp off on that one.

As bad as our safeties have been, I am most disappointed with Anderson on this defense. This guy is in position to succeed, even moreso last week due to injury, and I am seeing next to nothing from him.