Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’d bet he takes a bit of a discount to stay here. Not a crazy one, he needs to acquire around what he would on the open market. But I doubt at this point in his life that he’d want to uproot his family unless his only goal is winning immediately. 

I’d love to have him in the rotation. 

I agree.  I’m not sure what his value is on the open market, but I think he’s got a good spot here and probably just a year or two more of career.  I doubt he’s going to draw a huge deal on the open market.  

In fact, I might try and extend him now, give him 2 more years at a reasonable salary and reduce the cap number across the board.  

And I wouldn’t do it for ceremonial  reasons.  He’s still very productive in a limited role and he provides a great spot relief to Young and Sweat.  And he’s great in the locker room.  

I doubt you get better than a 5th and I think he’s more valuable here than a 5th.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I can't help but think of our heavy history of drafting duds in the 4th round, and become convinced we will get nothing out of it essentially, so I REALLY don't want to trade for a 4th.

Cousins, Breeland, Crowder...

There are always good options in the 4th. Sometimes the just miss. That even occurs in the 1st

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Just don't trade him for a 2nd, we always screw those up.   

As for the culture of losing again Cleveland, Arizona and Cincy had that culture, then they drafted a QB and look at them now.  

Do you really want to take a walk down memory lane and revere the name of every quarterback those teams annointed to take them to the promised land of winning culture, in just the last 20 years?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Sweat was 1000% worth the trade. Cooley has given him A grades in the last 4 games I think. He’s been an animal there, statistically, and passes the eye test.

I’ve now convinced myself we took him and Terry in round 1, and Dwayne in round 3. The pain hurts far less this way 😅

Dare I say, I think maybe we've found a rich man's Jadaveon Clowney? Sweat has been very good. The speed translates on the field, but his power is also excellent. And it's so hard to deal with both the speed and the power when combined with the length. How did he fall so far? He had great measurables, very good production in leading the SEC both in sacks and TFL, and was great in the Senior Bowl practices. You're right. The trade for Montez Sweat was a steal. 

Sweat and Chase Young are going to be so ridiculous. We may have two All Pro DE's, eventually. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Do you really want to take a walk down memory lane and revere the name of every quarterback those teams annointed to take them to the promised land of winning culture, in just the last 20 years

No thanks, I'm well aware of the odds.  Just pointing out how a quarterback can really change a team's fortune and how a Super Bowl appearance is not necessary to show that.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

16 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Do you really want to take a walk down memory lane and revere the name of every quarterback those teams annointed to take them to the promised land of winning culture, in just the last 20 years?

The point is to keep trying until you find a guy or you're gonna just be stuck in the wilderness anyway.

And its even easier more so now with the rookie salary changes.

Edited by Warhead36

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Schefter reports that Kerrigan has officially requested a trade but as of now Rivera is not willing to accommodate him.

If Kerrigan is requesting a trade, I hope they'd try to make it happen for his sake.  Give him a shot at a ring while he can be a contributor.  He has been a model Redskin, it's the least we can do for him.  At least explore it.

• Like 2

Just now, KillBill26 said:

If Kerrigan is requesting a trade, I hope they'd try to make it happen for his sake.  Give him a shot at a ring while he can be a contributor.  He has been a model Redskin, it's the least we can do for him.  At least explore it.

Set him free. Get what we can for him.

• Like 1

Just now, KillBill26 said:

I’m hoping that Rivera’s “we’re not trading him” stance is more along the lines of “unless the price is so high we can’t say no” than a firm unbreakable position. 

I suspect that if a team with a win it all now approach like Seattle offers a second or a 3rd and change we will graciously acquiesce to Ryan’s request.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

My guess it’s about playing time, if he goes to any contender you’d have to imagine his role would be similar. But, only contenders would be interested. 

He’s must be extremely frustrated to not just wait until the off season and make noise during the season. 

Did he just want the Washington sack record lol? I imagine his role was somewhat defined for him coming into the season. 

Edited by wit33

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Coincides with Rivera really talking Kerrigan up, sure he’ll like him to stay but if the request is on the table let’s talk his value up.

I really hope you are right...Also, I would explore trading Jonathan Allen as well.  I would be Extremely happy with a 2021 starting defensive line consisting of Sweat, Ionnadis, Payne and Young.  

Should've traded him last year; now he'll be an UFA in 2021.

Keep all D-Line IMO.  (unless we can get good value) 

Resign all D-Line. (we'll lose some in FA)

Draft more D-Line. 

Should've kept Preston *Smith

Edited by Mooka

Don't let this be another Trent Williams situation where we let a HOFer walk with no compensation. Either convince him to continue in this rotational role(where he has actually been productive) or get some value for him. I am still annoyed when I see Williams tossing around defenders for SF but we got nothing. Personnel management is another weakness we need to improve.

• Like 1

I find it odd that Kerrigan would request a trade, at this point in time.

He's going to be a FA this offseason, and get to have a better choice of where he ends up, than if he were traded.

In that situation, the only way I can see a player wanting a trade, is if the current environment is unbearable for him.

And I don't believe that's the case at all. Kerrigan's been through some really bad environments on this team over the years, and was always a good soldier, and never made waves, or requested a trade. Why now ?

Does he not like being rotated ? That doesn't seem plausible either, as he seems like a total Team guy

• Like 2

Kerrigan likely wants to start. He likely also wants to win. There’s also a good chance he considers himself capable of starting for another 2-3 years, and therefore he needs to maximise his next, and what may be his last, contract. Finding a trade now, and doing that extension now may be better than fighting for a new team/contract in the offseason when a lower cap might squeeze some of the life out of mid tier free agency.

Maybe he wants to get ahead of the race. Seems a sensible move. If he wants away, we should be looking for an amicable solution.