Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

Ioannidis is definitely your best pass rusher of the four and 4-3 seems to fit him and Settle better than Payne and Allen. I think you shop all four guys and see what you potentially get. I'd be most willing to part with one of Payne and Allen - given their pedigrees as former first round picks who have produced (albeit not as Pro Bowlers), you will get the most back for those two.

• Like 1

It's said an offense needs a year to adapt to a 'new system', you don't hear that said about defense as much. I bet it's true, imagine what this team will be like next year after understanding the philosophy!!!?!

Honestly, we are the 'best pass D' (yea right)... that line is nasty. I honestly hope we resign the entire front seven and keep building around them. 

How bout dam Football Team

5 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

It's said an offense needs a year to adapt to a 'new system', you don't hear that said about defense as much. I bet it's true, imagine what this team will be like next year after understanding the philosophy!!!?!

Honestly, we are the 'best pass D' (yea right)... that line is nasty. I honestly hope we resign the entire front seven and keep building around them. 

How bout dam Football Team

I’m sorry... did you say you hope we resign or re-sign? Because when it comes to the LBs I really feel you meant resign.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I’m sorry... did you say you hope we resign or re-sign? Because when it comes to the LBs I really feel you meant resign.

HA- You're right, I should have limited the 're-sign' talk to the D-line. Just hyped after the game.

But the LB positioning the NFL has almost been relegated to punter status, so hell, re-sign the LB's to. Is Rueben returning next week ;)

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Montez sweat is straight beasting now. As he gets even more productive pass rush moves, good lord... 

He did everything right on that turnover.

1) He was tall to begin with. Very impressive.

2) He positioned himself perfectly for the play call that was pending

3) He leaped so high, I don't think any QB could have thrown it over him

4) He batted, then juggled then secured the ball.

5) He slickly maneuvered and broke tackles for the TD

• Like 1

SWEAT

IS

NOT

HUMAN

We just saw former DVP JJ Watt make that same play, but it does not look the same as when Sweat does it. Look at the height he gets with that frame. Look at the explosion once he gets the ball in his hands. Look at the stride once he gets up to speed. The man is a specimen and you can not teach that. He defies Physics.

I will say it again. He is making all Zombies proud. The man is Frankenstein

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

when both sweat and Young are playing the way they can - can you imagine being a tackle having one of either one lining up on you? usually when they move an edge rusher around the line a tackle gets a break for a play or two. Not today, not today. It was having your ass handed to you every play

6 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

How the hell do we pay all these guys????

depends how well you draft, sweat and young are locks to be resigned for a decade

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea how they can retain all of these players, you can't sink that much into one position group without it having major effects on the rest of the roster that is still full of holes. And I too am in the camp that believes Matt I is the best interior DL and Settles will get a monster deal if he hits the market.  If he had played 10 years ago he would have been our best DL, now he is a backup.  

IMO Allen is the first guy I would shop.  But coaches don't want to trade productive players, and he's a leader, so I don't see that happening.  But they have to figure it out soon. 

53 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think you can manage that in 2021, the money is already built into our cap position. Need to draft at LB, maybe even DB, to get a couple more rookie contacts on the books in those positions. Be interesting to see what they do in the offseason.

It’s about asset management. It’d be a hard pill to swallow to lose Allen or Settle for nothing

Just now, method man said:

It’s about asset management. It’d be a hard pill to swallow to lose Allen or Settle for nothing

Agree. But we also need to look at the make up of the remaining roster, contract commitments etc, I mean a rookie QB contract would help. There is nothing to say we can’t retain these players. 

I personally would keep Allen. He’s an interesting one though, dropped in the draft due to medical concerns on his shoulders I think I recall. Something that was implied at the time would remain during his career. Can’t image that will have improved 4 or 5 years into his NFL career. But as fans, we don’t really know the accuracy of that kind of thing.

I know sacks are the end all be all, but on Sweats pick/TD they had 3 guys on Payne in the middle and one pulled off too late to stop Sweat.

We have a beast of a line and playing together another year or two, with better backers and safety play, is championship level defense.

• Like 3