Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know sacks are the end all be all, but on Sweats pick/TD they had 3 guys on Payne in the middle and one pulled off too late to stop Sweat.

We have a beast of a line and playing together another year or two, with better backers and safety play, is championship level defense.

And actually they had three on Payne because Chase dropped into coverage and the oline had no idea what to do, by the time they realized it was way way too late. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dyst said:

If possible, keep them all. Obviously be reasonable in the money department. Some folks knock Jon Allen but, he seems like a leader and that’s valuable.

I agree. He’s a warrior. I’m a big supporter of his. Think he’s somewhat undervalued and underrated. 

Keep Jon Allen :headbang:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Florgon79 said:

Did Payne cause that fumble? It looked like he casually punched it out that Troll Doll's gentle hands.

I'd love to see the clip. That would be 2 fumbles in 2 weeks that he didn't get any credit for.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree. He’s a warrior. I’m a big supporter of his. Think he’s somewhat undervalued and underrated. 

Keep Jon Allen :headbang:

He is so good, doing all the little things and gets no credit from the fans.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love to see the clip. That would be 2 fumbles in 2 weeks that he didn't get any credit for.

He is so good, doing all the little things and gets no credit from the fans.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-s-best-defensive-plays-from-thanksgiving-win-week-12

watch his right hand. 40 second mark.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

SWEAT

IS

NOT

HUMAN

We just saw former DVP JJ Watt make that same play, but it does not look the same as when Sweat does it. Look at the height he gets with that frame. Look at the explosion once he gets the ball in his hands. Look at the stride once he gets up to speed. The man is a specimen and you can not teach that. He defies Physics.

I will say it again. He is making all Zombies proud. The man is Frankenstein

Don't forget what team doctor Donald Penn said. Sweat can scratch his knees standing up! 🤣🤣🤣

I love this D-line. Hope we can keep that young core together. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Settle has 4 sacks in the last 5 games, the light switch has officially come on for him. 

This DL could be utterly dominant next year. A second year Chase Young and 3rd year Montez Sweat. The return of Matt Ioannidis. Settle’s improvement. Are there enough snaps for Payne, Allen, Settle, and Ioannidis? Settle clearly needs more snaps than he was getting. 

• Like 5

We'll have to make some tough decisions at DL for sure. Ion is under contract through 2022, but is coming off an injury and is the oldest of the bunch(though he's still not that old). Payne and Settle will both be eligible for extensions. And we'll need to set aside money to extend Sweat the year after that. And the year after that is Young who could end up getting one of those record breaking(for a DE) type contracts.

17 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Settle has 4 sacks in the last 5 games, the light switch has officially come on for him. 

Pretty strong against the run too.  He's got that combo of bend and lie pads plus long arms that can be impossible to consistently block one on one.  Got a little Akiem Hicks in him.  Plays like a little bit smaller version of him.  Once he sees everything and develops hand work for it, he's going to be so good.  We need to keep both him and Payne.

My one concern with our front was that we're a little on the small side in the interior part of our D without Io, and that we might get bullied by the really huge OLs.  But these guys are so explosive and aggressive that they're generally beating their match ups to their fits with raw speed and desire, and also getting good pressure through the A and B gaps.  The new style really suits the DL.  Hard on the LBers though, and I think it's not a coincidence that the only LBer who seems to be thriving is the really fast one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ioannidis is the most impactful pass rusher of any of our interior DL and has been less injury prone than Allen. I’d trade Allen before I left Ioannidis go anywhere. Honestly, against the pass, Ioannidis, Settle, Sweat and Young are an embarrassment of riches by themselves. 

I would keep Allen over Io if I had to choose, assuming the money was similar.  Allen plays a winning style and his football instincts are so good that he always seems to be in the middle of the really positive plays.  Plus he flexes really easily to DE which is really helpful.

His lack of stats is actually making me happy because I think it could artificially deflate his contract market a bunch.  Maybe middling DT money instead of edge money.  I see him as a Cam Heyward like interior presence who is a big part of playing dominant defense but maybe doesn't really blow up as a pass rusher until late in his career.  The potential for that kind of stars-align double digit sack season is there though, because of how gifted he is.  Rare combo of power and speed that lets him beat bigger linemen to the fits and rush lanes.

• Like 1

Couple of things.

Payne and Allen tell me that a really good MLB would absolutely take off in our defense. Those two are opening up runways right to the QB for a LB to run through.

2nd. Tim Settle really need an appreciation thready.

3rd I will miss Kerrigan next season and hope he lands somewhere that is good for him, I think he is going to end up anywhere from 15-25 in the all time sacks list by the time he retires.

Unless Kerrigan loses his mind and thinks his value here is worth 10 Mil (He could prob get that in FA as a full time starter) I don't see any reason to let him walk.

Give him 5 Mil to be the third piece in the DE rotation. None of our other young players have even come close to even being considered for that third wheel position.

We get Io back next year, that will more than replace Settle. I think we get Brantley back? He Opt'd out. Even tho it will give you a massive glut, I would still love to bring back Settle but I don't see it happening as someone will pay him to start. Plus he has to feel buried by our depth chart.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We get Io back next year, that will more than replace Settle. I think we get Brantley back? He Opt'd out. Even tho it will give you a massive glut, I would still love to bring back Settle but I don't see it happening as someone will pay him to start. Plus he has to feel buried by our depth chart.

I'm pretty sure settle is still under contract next year and won't be a free agent until the year after next.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jon Allen needs to be retained for several years to come. Get him locked in on a long term contract this offseason. 

Its his home town. I don't think he could possibly imagine playing with better talent to the left and right of him on the line, and one on ones is where he can really shine. 

I have a feeling Allen is the kins of guy who sees the big picture and knows this group could be special. He deserves to get paid a good salary, but I definitely wouldn't blame him if he decided to join another circus for a bloated salary. 

• Like 2

Guys like Kerrigan, in the last few seasons of their career can thrive if they land in the right spot.  Usually guys like that try to be a bonus piece of a championship team.  Somewhere that he isn't relied on to be an every down impact player, but every time they are put in the game for specific situations they are a terror.  He has been nothing but a class act here, so assuming he doesn't end up anywhere else in the NFC East I wish him luck if he moves on.

• Like 1

Allen hits like a truck.  The Alabama guys are so physical.  Having them on the interior sets the tone for the whole game and makes it a grueling street fight those linemen and qbs and running backs.

I was shocked by what I saw from the Dallas and Bengals defenses when we played them.  Dallas has great linebackers too, which goes to show how big a difference your interior DLs make on the culture and toughness of your D, and how little difference the stack linebackers actually do.  Seeing the way those fronts just gave up on the fight with our fairly mediocre offensive line was ghastly.  Then I remembered we were super soft like that before we drafted Allen.  I never want to go back to being like that again.  I want to keep all of our IDLs, but definitely Allen and Payne in particular.  They are the foundation for the entire D.

• Like 7