Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

RZ D is definitely the one thing I am most impressed with. In years past we always gave up TDs but this year we've been pretty lockdown.

Now just gotta do better at getting off the field on 3rd downs. I feel like we're still really bad in that area.

We might be bad but we aren't historically bad! lol

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

RZ D is definitely the one thing I am most impressed with. In years past we always gave up TDs but this year we've been pretty lockdown.

Now just gotta do better at getting off the field on 3rd downs. I feel like we're still really bad in that area.

We are 10th in third down defense with a 37.9% conversion rate. This is basically on par with the Steelers (37.5%) who are widely considered to be the best D in football right now.

We are also the 4th best defense on 4th down with only 6 of 16 attempts converted (37.5%), again pretty much on par with the Steelers (5 out of 16). In RZ D we are leading the NFL.

Considering our D is still pretty young I think that those are great numbers. Sure we played a weak schedule but it's still been nice to not be dominated on defense every week.

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

We are 10th in third down defense with a 37.9% conversion rate. This is basically on par with the Steelers (37.5%) who are widely considered to be the best D in football right now.

We are also the 4th best defense on 4th down with only 6 of 16 attempts converted (37.5%), again pretty much on par with the Steelers (5 out of 16). In RZ D we are leading the NFL.

Considering our D is still pretty young I think that those are great numbers. Sure we played a weak schedule but it's still been nice to not be dominated on defense every week.

I still don’t get how we can look so statistically strong while looking so bad. Mind you, the Redskins first half D is very different from its second half d. 

I think today was the best our DL has played all year when you factor in the competition. Frustrating we weren't able to get any sacks but the consistent pressure was there. Big Ben is just impossible to sack, guy had like a 200 snap streak or some crazy crap without getting sacked this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I think today was the best our DL has played all year when you factor in the competition. Frustrating we weren't able to get any sacks but the consistent pressure was there. Big Ben is just impossible to sack, guy had like a 200 snap streak or some crazy crap without getting sacked this year.

We stuffed the **** out of their RBs. It was beautiful, Pittsburgh had a 14 point lead and just refused to run the ball against us. Them not being able to run out the clock was a huge factor in our comeback. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

On 12/5/2020 at 8:41 AM, Burgold said:

I still don’t get how we can look so statistically strong while looking so bad. Mind you, the Redskins first half D is very different from its second half d. 

What people think you are also includes several weeks ago.

Fans remember and weight critical fails over solid to great play at less critical junctures.

Until tonight, people would have a point when they asked who we dominated.

It is hard to forgive defensive fails when they were really the products of offensive fails.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Montez Sweat had 3 Pass Deflections today, it's awesome seeing him be effective even when he doesn't get the sack. Those arms nearly reach the stars when he jumps. 

I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion, but I can't say I've seen a better strong side DEnd this year. fwiw Im no expert but he is so dominant lately. Can't run at him, can't screen to him. He's so fast closing on the QB, and whether he is blocked or not he touches footballs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion, but I can't say I've seen a better strong side DEnd this year. fwiw Im no expert but he is so dominant lately. Can't run at him, can't screen to him. He's so fast closing on the QB, and whether he is blocked or not he touches footballs. 

A more athletic version of Phil Daniels?

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

No sacks but also the Steelers normally take way more shots down field than we saw today. Our DL kept them in their basic quick passing game for the majority of the game. Our secondary did not play great today but Ben was not able to exploit that like he has done throughout the season. If he held the ball more than 2 seconds he was going to get lit up.

I don't think I have seen a D-line dominate like that w/o racking up a crazy number of sacks. They were having none of what Pitt was offering in the run game. made a crazy goaline stand and did this while only rushing 4 guys the vast majority of times, allowing us to drop more guys into coverage.

That was a crazy good game from our D-line, and it was across the board. Payne, Allen, Young and Sweat were all monsters today. The gang tackling was so strong that several times they didn't only take down the opposing RB, but a couple Olinemen with him. That one where Allen was basically crowd-surfing was pretty funny.

I think this was their best game. By gameplan design we hung our D-line out to dry, and they still impacted the game.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RedskinsFanInSanAntonio said:

I wonder where those people who were mad that we didn’t have a second round pick this year are at now? Montez is a stud.

I think most of the folks who are mad we didn't have a second rounder weren't upset because of Sweat. A lot of us preferred we take Sweat at our original draft slot and not trade up into the first.

But Sweat is and always has been worth the first rounder. For sure. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Montez Sweat had 3 Pass Deflections today, it's awesome seeing him be effective even when he doesn't get the sack. Those arms nearly reach the stars when he jumps. 

"And he took the stars, in his hands and as he scattered them he'd shout:  I'm the joker of the Universe; I'm what it's all about!" - Blue Oyster Cult, "The Great Sun Jester"

Montez Sweat is the only guy in the league who can bat down a ball with one hand while scratching knee with the other.

• Haha 2