Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

18 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Payne doubled on every one of those plays. We can keep this entire unit together for at least 2 years and if we can add a LBer right behind them, this defense with be JDRs best and that will be something special to see.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Allen has more tackles than any DT in the league. He is elite against the run and seemingly in on every tackle. Kyle and Ron have some difficult decisions to make with this DL. I'd love to keep them as long as possible. 

More importantly though, look at the mindset the entire DL has. They love doing the dirty work that's required of the position and they've all adopted the attitude that they will not be outworked or denied. 

This type of mindset can run deep in an organization for years. Late rounders like Tim Settle and now JSW have come into our DL culture and have this mindset as well. This isn't by accident, partly its innate for them, but its also now expected when you play here. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

Do you pay Settle (something similar to what Matt got) and Allen and let Matty Ice walk when deal is done?

That might be the smartest play. Ion is under contract until after the 2022 season but he'll be older and will have had some injuries.

I'm really impressed with Allen; I think he's more of a leader than the media realizes, mainly because of his personal style of quiet leadership.

I think Washington should try to re-sign him.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

I'm really impressed with Allen; I think he's more of a leader than the media realizes, mainly because of his personal style of quiet leadership.

I think Washington should try to re-sign him.

Allen isn't quiet.  In fact, he's very vocal.   The media views him as a leader, they surround him in the lockerroom.

• Like 2

Keep the big boys together and wait to make decisions until Young and Sweat are due for extensions. 

Wonder how much influence Rivera had with the overall philosophy being to pay the big boys and let corners walk when in Carolina? I’m okay with getting the elite athlete veteran corner on a cheap deal (Darby), then letting them get paid elsewhere. This coupled with investing In young dudes in the draft. 

Let this be a place where corners want to come to resurrect their value and get paid elsewhere the following year. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Keep the big boys together and wait to make decisions until Young and Sweat are due for extensions. 

Wonder how much influence Rivera had with the overall philosophy being to pay the big boys and let corners walk when in Carolina? I’m okay with getting the elite athlete veteran corner on a cheap deal (Darby), then letting them get paid elsewhere. This coupled with investing In young dudes in the draft. 

Let this be a place where corners want to come to resurrect their value and get paid elsewhere the following year. 

Nothing better for a struggling CB than a one year deal behind a Dline like ours.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nothing better for a struggling CB than a one year deal behind a Dline like ours.

Exaclty. Especially one with great pedigree and elite size and athleticism. These bargains exist every year. 

No way I pay Darby. I think he’s been great this year. 

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Exaclty. Especially one with great pedigree and elite size and athleticism. These bargains exist every year. 

He's a perfect example. It depends how much he wants, but he has been very good for us. 

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

I know it’s not, but the bold part comes across as sarcasm - a corner with (great) pedigree, (elite) size, and athleticism at a bargain rate doesn’t seem... usual.  

Don’t mind the premise though - we can likely pick up a decent corner to replace Darby and save that money for re-signing our fat boys.  

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 7:38 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Payne doubled on every one of those plays. We can keep this entire unit together for at least 2 years and if we can add a LBer right behind them, this defense with be JDRs best and that will be something special to see.

Alternatively, Payne uses the same move every time.  Center knows that's an easy avenue to help as Payne will be coming towards him.

I know this is a tiny sample size that isn't indicative of who Payne is as a pass rusher...but where's the bull rush?

29 minutes ago, madden lot said:

Yes. Right after the whistle two of our players held him horizontal in their amrs. It was supa funny.

yeah, I thought that would be everywhere, but even on the NFL highlights it's the one play from that drive they cut.

• Sad 1

This DB talk has me thinking, and don't get me wrong, I 100% am happy we made the move to get out of the Josh Norman project, but THIS defense is the type of defense that he thrived in with Carolina... Zone coverage, eyes in the backfield with a good pass rush.  He was never meant to be put on an island... he doesn't have the speed for it.

Not saying I want him back, we overpaid, but we also didn't use him correctly.  Had he been in THIS defense for 4 years, I think the opinions of him are different. 

5 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

RZ D is definitely the one thing I am most impressed with. In years past we always gave up TDs but this year we've been pretty lockdown.

Now just gotta do better at getting off the field on 3rd downs. I feel like we're still really bad in that area.

• Like 1