Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Just imagine for a minute the free agent defenders who are gonna want to be a part of this defense? What a difference a year, a new coach and a solid draft/free agent class makes. Can't wait to see who we add to this defense....

We have so many young talented defensive lineman that are going to get paid.  I think we should be focused more on keeping this line intact instead of already looking towards free agency.  Chemistry is HUGE.

• Like 3

Keep Allen, Payne, Ion and Settle as well as the ends.  Keep drafting aggressive athletes like Curl to play behind that group.  Cycle those players like the Panthers did.  I wonder how much Peterson or Sherman would be this offseason?  Would either be good with a 1 year deal?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Just imagine for a minute the free agent defenders who are gonna want to be a part of this defense? What a difference a year, a new coach and a solid draft/free agent class makes. Can't wait to see who we add to this defense....

Yes. This. Linebackers and cornerbacks and safeties will be lining up to play behind this DL. 

Montez had a great game against San Francisco. He still is better at generating consistent pressure than Chase. The holding call he forced to negate the big play by Kendrick Bourne was huge. And on the 4th down to end the game, he walked McGlinchey right back into the QB. 

Sweat and Chase are going to be sooooo expensive to resign. We need to make some noise while they are on their rookie contracts. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Yes. This. Linebackers and cornerbacks and safeties will be lining up to play behind this DL. 

Montez had a great game against San Francisco. He still is better at generating consistent pressure than Chase. The holding call he forced to negate the big play by Kendrick Bourne was huge. And on the 4th down to end the game, he walked McGlinchey right back into the QB. 

Sweat and Chase are going to be sooooo expensive to resign. We need to make some noise while they are on their rookie contracts. 

Good point, amazing how the window could be now when you look at the salaries these guys will want. It could be the reason why WFT may need to go for a veteran QB over developing a rookie. Someone who has been around the block and can already read defenses and doesn't have to carry the load, just manage the offense and get the ball where it needs to go. 

Matt Ryan? Cam Newton? Alex Smith? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Phillip Rivers? Carson Wentz? Nick Foles? Sam Darnold? Dak Prescott? Marcus Mariotta? Derek Carr? Matthew Stafford? 

All names for another thread but those are some vet names that we COULD be looking at if RR doesn't want to wait around and develop a rookie. 

I'm on record as predicting that, if we go for a vet, RR goes and signs Cam Newton to a 3 year deal that isn't gonna break the budget....3 years, 50 mil. Cam won't have better offers and would likely jump at this kind of offer. Sign Kyle as the backup....No, I don't know how Alex's contract would affect signing a free agent QB, there are smarter guys than me on this site that can answer that. I think RR really likes Cam and would take him back in a heartbeat if he thought he fit the culture. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Good point, amazing how the window could be now when you look at the salaries these guys will want. It could be the reason why WFT may need to go for a veteran QB over developing a rookie. Someone who has been around the block and can already read defenses and doesn't have to carry the load, just manage the offense and get the ball where it needs to go. 

Matt Ryan? Cam Newton? Alex Smith? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Phillip Rivers? Carson Wentz? Nick Foles? Sam Darnold? Dak Prescott? Marcus Mariotta? Derek Carr? Matthew Stafford? 

All names for another thread but those are some vet names that we COULD be looking at if RR doesn't want to wait around and develop a rookie. 

I'm on record as predicting that, if we go for a vet, RR goes and signs Cam Newton to a 3 year deal that isn't gonna break the budget....3 years, 50 mil. Cam won't have better offers and would likely jump at this kind of offer. Sign Kyle as the backup....No, I don't know how Alex's contract would affect signing a free agent QB, there are smarter guys than me on this site that can answer that. I think RR really likes Cam and would take him back in a heartbeat if he thought he fit the culture. 

I know Rivera & Cam have history but just say no to Cam Newton.  He’s washed.  Not even much of an upgrade over Alex Smith at this point.  Great thing about having a potentially dominant defense is that you don’t have to shoot for the moon for a QB.  A good solid stable veteran can help you not lose games and that defense can carry you to a championship.  So many options but I agree with you, now is not the time to develop a rookie QB as the only option.  Not to say don’t draft a guy.  Just bring in a good veteran to win now while a young guy develops.  Haskins is clearly a bust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dckey said:

How serious is the Allen injury?  I know groins can keep you out a couple of weeks.  He didn't return in the game and is limited in practice.

I thought he did return? Regardless, Young had the groin earlier and it kept him out one game I believe but he was clearly not 100% until maybe a couple weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I thought he did return? Regardless, Young had the groin earlier and it kept him out one game I believe but he was clearly not 100% until maybe a couple weeks ago.

He didn't return, and that would be a big blow if he is not able to play this week against Seatttle.

23 hours ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Keep Allen, Payne, Ion and Settle as well as the ends.  Keep drafting aggressive athletes like Curl to play behind that group.  Cycle those players like the Panthers did.  I wonder how much Peterson or Sherman would be this offseason?  Would either be good with a 1 year deal?

If everyone continues their trajectory there’s no way we can keep all three of Payne, Allen and Sweat. Chase Young’s second contract will be close to if not over 20 million a year, and the rest of them will be somewhere in the mid teens. I don’t see the salary cap increasing enough to fit all 4 in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

If everyone continues their trajectory there’s no way we can keep all three of Payne, Allen and Sweat. Chase Young’s second contract will be close to if not over 20 million a year, and the rest of them will be somewhere in the mid teens. I don’t see the salary cap increasing enough to fit all 4 in. 

I think we can re-sign all three....initially. There cap hits will stagger slightly at first. Might end up tagging one. We may not have them all in 2024 but there is a lot of football between now and then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Myles Garrett just signed an extension for 25 million per year. I Could easily see Chase making 30 million a year if he's a DPOY type player. And Montez may not be much less expensive. We don't have to worry about the Montez sweat contract for 3 years though, or the Chase Young contract for 4. We need to resign Allen and rack up some playoff wins during this 3-4 years. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think we can re-sign all three....initially. There cap hits will stagger slightly at first. Might end up tagging one. We may not have them all in 2024 but there is a lot of football between now and then.

I just hope that whenever the day comes we are smart about it and think about trading the player we can't afford for a high draft pick before the contract expires or while he is on the tag. Just like the Chiefs did with Ford, the Seahawks with Clark or the 49ers with Buckner (even though they probably should have kept him over Armstead).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Myles Garrett just signed an extension for 25 million per year. I Could easily see Chase making 30 million a year if he's a DPOY type player. And Montez may not be much less expensive. We don't have to worry about the Montez sweat contract for 3 years though, or the Chase Young contract for 4. We need to resign Allen and rack up some playoff wins during this 3-4 years. 

I think that is right. The Sweat and Young contracts are down the line. I think at that stage we would look to reload with fresh blood on the interior line. Those contracts on the DL can be managed, short term anyway, for 2-3 years. 

1 minute ago, Stefanskins said:

isn't this our first year back to a 4-3?...I wonder how much that has helped our defense...

I can't speak on scheme but I imagine it helps. From a fans perspective, this is a combination of better defensive personnel but more importantly better coaching.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Allen should be a Pro Bowler. Gotta keep him.

Good grief Nate Burleson is cringe AF though.

Instrumental to our run defense. The only think I worry about with Allen is that he seems prone to getting dinged up, and it seems to affect his performance when he has these nagging injuries. 

It's amazing that we hit on all 4 of those 1sts, Sweat, Young, Payne, Allen, and also hit on Ioannidis and Settle. With the miss rate in the 1st round, it would have been easy to whiff on one of those choices. Even the Payne pick is looking better now. He is playing like a beast. Honestly, I don't regret us taking him over Derwin James. Now, if you asked me if I would want Tremaine Edmunds behind \Allen, Sweat, and Young....

• Like 2