Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Dline won a game for us nearly by itself. Not overrated anymore, eh?

That wasnt nearly...that was completely 

On 12/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Truth is, no team can "have it all"

Guarantee all 32 teams are saying, "We really need to fill this position", or "If only we had this player"

It's virtually impossible to have studs everywhere.

Even Super Bowl champions don't.

No matter how good we are, we're always going to wish we had a better player at a certain position.

And it certainly doesn't happen overnight

The best thing to do now, is be thankful how our DL has come together - and be patient.

Excellent stuff here man!

• Like 1

There's a LOT of talent sitting in that D-line. Yes, almost Half of those monsters (Sweat, Payne, Allen, Young, Settle, Ion, Kerrigan) are sitting on the bench any given play. Yet we have a gaping holes in multiple spots, but let's just imagine how good this team could be if we actually had a QB.  If we end up picking around spot 18 in the draft, would you trade any of this talent to move up (to say spot 10) to draft a QB such as Wilson?  Do you trade one of your assets on the bench for another weapon?  Trading Young is off the table, as is Sweat, but IMO if the right trade offer was presented, I'd listen.

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Do you trade one of your assets on the bench for another weapon?  Trading Young is off the table, as is Sweat, but IMO if the right trade offer was presented, I'd listen.

I don't even want to think about that right now. When draft time comes around and combine and stuff we shall see 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bowhunter said:

There's a LOT of talent sitting in that D-line. Yes, almost Half of those monsters (Sweat, Payne, Allen, Young, Settle, Ion, Kerrigan) are sitting on the bench any given play. Yet we have a gaping holes in multiple spots, but let's just imagine how good this team could be if we actually had a QB.  If we end up picking around spot 18 in the draft, would you trade any of this talent to move up (to say spot 10) to draft a QB such as Wilson?  Do you trade one of your assets on the bench for another weapon?  Trading Young is off the table, as is Sweat, but IMO if the right trade offer was presented, I'd listen.

If the team believes that WIlson is a bonafide stud, no questions asked, then we should toss some draft capital to move up and get him. If they have questions about him, I'd rather them just sit back and let the draft come to them. I'm crossing my fingers we get someone like Dak so we can draft a Darrisaw type OT to protect him. We'd be heavy favorites in the division, especially if we also got a FA WR to make the offense more potent. 

As far as trading one of our players, I don't take anything less than a 2nd rounder for any of them. Settle, Ioannidis, Allen, and Payne, all those guys are really good YOUNG players and trading one of them will weaken the defense. Why is our D so good in the 2nd half? Because we can rotate these fresh legs in there. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Thanks 1

That quality depth is a huge reason that our defense is so successful right now. Not sure how to figure out snaps per quarter, but we're able to give a nice rest in the 3rd and bring in fresh guys who are also pretty dang good and it's setting the tone for the second half.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I'm not a fan of trading away proven great to borderline great young talent for a draft pick unless I am absolutely sure we are drafting a "can't miss" QB prospect.  And this is what scouts and coaches get paid to figure out.  

ADDED:  I just realized I made back-to-back posts.  My sincerest apologies.

Edited by cakmoney61
Added a short paragraph.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That quality depth is a huge reason that our defense is so successful right now. Not sure how to figure out snaps per quarter, but we're able to give a nice rest in the 3rd and bring in fresh guys who are also pretty dang good and it's setting the tone for the second half.

Absolutely and without question, our depth is better than many teams best starter.  Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. You cannot have too much depth (unless holding onto that depth costs you at  other positions.)  I'm not even advocating that such a trade is in our best interest, but the topic is worthy of consideration. The bookends of Young and Sweat should be untouchable IMO, but at DT there's Payne, Allen, Ion and Settle which is 4 quality starters. It will be tough to pay them all true market value down the road. So if letting one of them go brings you a offense capable of scoring more than 10 points a game, it would be foolhardy not to consider it. 

Nice to see holcomb in the PFF season long top 10... it always feels like he’s playing great but I wasn’t sure if I had my homer glasses on. What a find... now we need his robin.

each week I keep saying “okay nice win, but this game is the real test,” but I mean it this time. If this D can shut down the Seahawks then it’s official... more official than it already is.

• Like 3

I know I say some entertaining shoop here a lot, but (and this ain't entertaining shoop) I still think our single-biggest need is MLB.  We've barely scratched the surface of what our DL can do because what they are doing is handcuffed (or leg-ironed) by not having a good MLB who can play the run and defend the short passing game over the middle.  We can find upgrades at OT and OG in FA or after rd 1 of the draft, and we don't even know how good S'iq Chuck can be (I do get points for being organic even if you don't like the nic).  We can similarly find a blocking TE to replace Sprinkle in FA and we have that WR who got hurt in camp (although maybe his injury will linger) and every year a big-name WR thought he was a WR1 but is a WR2 will get cut because he's not a WR1.  With the right MLB, we don't even need to spend much on the secondary, though FS could use an upgrade (though it's not crucial).