Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

On 1/18/2021 at 5:18 PM, Warhead36 said:

Allen is a good player and I want to keep him. He's not a dynamic game changer but he does all the dirty work and is the glue guy up front. He's also a team leader. And he honestly shouldn't be that expensive to retain since he doesn't have any Pro Bowls or All Pros to his name yet.

That didn’t stop Preston Smith from cashing in with the Packers.

14 hours ago, Die Hard said:

That didn’t stop Preston Smith from cashing in with the Packers.

How much more $ did G.B. offer in actual value by not being D.C.?  (A whole helluva lot; when was the last time someone wanted to come to D.C. and it wasn't because of the cash?)  At a certain point, a guy has to decide if an additional % increase in $ is worth playing for a ****e-y team when he could be on a team that is both competitive and has that "53 men together can't lose" esprit de corps (which is what WFT is becoming under Rivera).  A couple of million $ used to be a whole lot of $ and you could understand why a guy would leave a good team for a bad team.  Nowadays, factor in the taxes, and if a guy really wants to chase another couple of million when he's already being offered double-digits, and he's willing to go to a team that he wouldn't otherwise want to go to, vaya con Dios mi amigo y bona suerte.  I want that guy who looks at his trenchmates and thinks, after taxes that extra $2mil just ain't worth leaving my hometown and my guys.

I’m not really sure of your point. Sorry. 

I was just saying that Preston Smith didn’t earn any Pro Bowl or All Pro status at any point either. Nor was he as impactful statistically as Allen.

And yet he wasn’t inexpensive to sign. The Packers signed him to a 4-year, $64M contract.   $16M/year for his production with the WFT, gave everyone sticker shock.

So no, I don’t think Allen is going to be inexpensive at all. I think the players are all aware of the huge TV contract coming up, so if anyone is going to sign a long-term deal in this market, it’s going to take into account new money.

Player’s salaries are about to explode again.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Die Hard said:

And yet he wasn’t inexpensive to sign. The Packers signed him to a 4-year, $64M contract.   $16M/year for his production with the WFT, gave everyone sticker shock.

It was 4 years $52M.  $16M signing and $16M garanteed. Cap hit per yer $6M, $13.5M, $16M, $16.5M.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Allen has a 17% QB hurry rate, which is the best on our team and top 10 for DTs. He is absolutely a pass rusher and extremely disruptive. He may have only had 2 sacks, but the competition is fierce on our team. 

I’m looking forward to seeing Young, Allen, Io and Sweat on 3rd downs.  And to adding linebackers to help make sure they are long 3rd downs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I’m looking forward to seeing Young, Allen, Io and Sweat on 3rd downs.  And to adding linebackers to help make sure they are long 3rd downs.

Throw Payne in there as well and have a 5 DLine front, let sweat and Young display there supreme gifts and carry a TE on a seam route situationally, Landon Collins underneath as the money backer, Curl as the in between safety/slot corner/run support, and 4 dbs behind them in support (don’t care who these guys are for the next 3 years lol, but obviously Fuller is a part of it). 

Wonder what the 5 DLine front did statistically compared to their other fronts last season. It seemed switching to a 5 DL front was a go to in second half of games. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Iaon and Payne on no responsibility straight rush downs would be better. That's 4 blockers.

Allens strength is pulling those stats on the downs with responsibilities with contain and making lanes, yet he still get's home. He's pretty amazing and fun to watch.

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

Throw Payne in there as well and have a 5 DLine front, let sweat and Young display there supreme gifts and carry a TE on a seam route situationally, Landon Collins underneath as the money backer, Curl as the in between safety/slot corner/run support, and 4 dbs behind them in support (don’t care who these guys are for the next 3 years lol, but obviously Fuller is a part of it). 

Wonder what the 5 DLine front did statistically compared to their other fronts last season. It seemed switching to a 5 DL front was a go to in second half of games. 

We're 2 LBers and a FS away from a versatile and insanely talented defense, led by one of the best DCs in the last 30 years. We could seriously be very special, especially if our offense can start scoring and running the ball.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Iaon and Payne on no responsibility straight rush downs would be better. That's 4 blockers.

Allens strength is pulling those stats on the downs with responsibilities with contain and making lanes, yet he still get's home. He's pretty amazing and fun to watch.

I swear I have seen multiple times where Allen is engaged with a blocker, someone tries to run by and he just sticks and arm out and sucks them in

• Like 1

OK, now that we're solidly into the offseason, I went back and watched the first half of the Bucs game.

What the heck happened to our vaunted D-Line in that game?  Across the LOS, we had our 4 first rounders against their 5 O Linemen.  We could barely get a hand on Tom's jersey. 

Anyone know what was up with TB's O-Line?  Were they coached up - good scheme?  Or just that good mano a mano against our 'elite' First Rounders?

6 hours ago, petey hodge said:

OK, now that we're solidly into the offseason, I went back and watched the first half of the Bucs game.

What the heck happened to our vaunted D-Line in that game?  Across the LOS, we had our 4 first rounders against their 5 O Linemen.  We could barely get a hand on Tom's jersey. 

Anyone know what was up with TB's O-Line?  Were they coached up - good scheme?  Or just that good mano a mano against our 'elite' First Rounders?

they have a pretty good OL who were spending some time holding and as I understand it we switched a few things up to try to confuse things and well, it being totally new to us impacted us negatively more than it helped us against them

17 hours ago, petey hodge said:

From My laymen view, what Tom Brady does so well is operating the pocket in very close proximity to the interior Olinemen and as a result eliminating angles the Washington outside pass rushers could use to get to him. It was like eliminating 20 degrees of normal win pressure for the outside pass rushers.

I theorize this is why it’s so vital to get interior pressure versus Brady. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, wit33 said:

I theorize this is why it’s so vital to get interior pressure versus Brady. 

That's a clever take, and I think you're right.  That dovetails with an observation that some of Brady's best teams had really good guards and centers, as the Bucs do now.  And while many of his lines have had good tackle play, not all of them have, and Brady's style of play can make it easier for his tackles to pass protect.

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's a clever take, and I think you're right.  That dovetails with an observation that some of Brady's best teams had really good guards and centers, as the Bucs do now.  And while many of his lines have had good tackle play, not all of them have, and Brady's style of play can make it easier for his tackles to pass protect.

That's kind of been your take for a while now, right? IO are becoming as valuable, if not more valuable than tackles.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:24 PM, Koolblue13 said:

That's kind of been your take for a while now, right? IO are becoming as valuable, if not more valuable than tackles.

Yeah, I think they are at least as valuable.  They do a lot of the heavy lifting in the run game in most schemes, and the emergence of superior a and b gap rushers has made their pass pro more valuable and difficult.  The pass game has evolved to include RPO and moving pockets so much more that it reduces the number of traditional drop back pass pro reps LTs get stuck on an island for.  Shotgun also gives them a lot of breathing room too.  And you can scheme in help for your OTs with TEs and backs fairly easily.  OT has become easier to play than it used to be.  Now you can get away with these gigantic maulers at the position who aren't the best lateral athletes because it is so hard to get around them on a shotgun rep and they can usually tangle you up if you try to counter inside.  Cornelius Lucas case in point.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to come across a JP Finlay podcast from when Reuben foster got off the exempt list, and it got me wondering: what’s the update on him? He’s still a WFT player, right? Hasn’t even gotten in trouble in his time here, which is great. Is the team going to give him an opportunity this training camp/preseason?

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I happened to come across a JP Finlay podcast from when Reuben foster got off the exempt list, and it got me wondering: what’s the update on him? He’s still a WFT player, right? Hasn’t even gotten in trouble in his time here, which is great. Is the team going to give him an opportunity this training camp/preseason?

I last heard Finlay talk about him maybe a week ago.  There’s still question whether or not last season “tolled” for him -  Am I using that word correctly?  So they don’t even know if he’s a FA or under contract.

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

We never picked up his option. He's gone I believe. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Sad 1