Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think it’s about time we got a Jon Allen extension confirmed. Let’s gets some deals closed out and progress made.

That’s where I’m at. Let’s use this cap space to extend our guys at today’s market rate vs doing it later when the rate inevitably goes up.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sick. So many game changing plays here. I feel like Chase Young had as many game changing plays against San Francisco and Carolina as we saw Orakpo get in his whole career. I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but it doesn't feel like it. I can't wait to see year 2 Chase Young and year 3 Montez Sweat, playing behind an offense that can score some points. The best thing we could do for this defense might be turbo charging the offense. 

• Like 4

If I'm Montez Sweat I'm not interested in negotiating at present time. If he gets near his ceiling he can ask for money which together with Chase Young's second contract could put us in a spot where we'd have to spend 50+ million on two defensive ends. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

If I'm Montez Sweat I'm not interested in negotiating at present time. If he gets near his ceiling he can ask for money which together with Chase Young's second contract could put us in a spot where we'd have to spend 50+ million on two defensive ends. 

He isn't eligible for extension until after the 2021 season anyway

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Worth it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

Agreed. It's going to be really tough to sign all 4 first rounders to a second contract if they continue their trajectory. 

Not if they want to play in the Super Bowl.

Or we can consistently trade out of the 1st and 2nd rounds, and stock the team with a lot of very-good-but-not-great players and do our own damage in FA by breaking the bank for the handful of blockbuster FAs who will get the job done.

Or the NFL can fix the disaster that is the salary cap by, for starters, eliminating any cap on re-signing your own draft picks.

Who cares, the way the NFL is going.  Just pick an AFC team whose roster you like and a likewise NFC team.  Then just watch them.  Otherwise, you're rooting for an ownership.  If God tells Montez Sweat to go to Green Bay for an extra $10million/year, vaya con Dios.  The guys who want to be here -- and make zero mistake, no one who starts for the WFT is anywhere near having to get a second job like the days when tough men like Hanburger and Houston played -- will be getting paid and it's guys who want to win who win.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 6:01 PM, Warhead36 said:

The Bucs literally brought back an entire team that won a Super Bowl. Let em figure it out.

That lacks context. We’re not talking four defensive line first round studs all entering their prime looking for their first big payday in TB. They don’t have a DE that will most likely be the highest paid player at his position and another one that could be somewhere in the top 5. TB is also gearing up for a 2 year run at another Super Bowl which is a different scenario. We’re talking about roughly 70-80 million in cap space (could be more if Allen or Payne start racking up sacks) in one position room too. 

Edited by Berggy9598

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is art. Our DT's are great, but replaceable with a 1st round pick in any given draft. We are going to pay Montez and Chase and probably 1 DT. That's the core. 

Hopefully Settle comes into his own.  We need him to step up.  I agree, we must keep our bookend DE together.  Settle takes a step up and we keep either Payne or Allen and we still ahve Ioaniddis too. 

• 2 months later...

Chase Young

Jonathan Allen

Daron Payne

Montez Sweat

Matt Iioniddas

Tim Settle

Ryan Kerrigan (last year)

…just look at those names and the production from them.

A few short years earlier we were graced with the likes of Stacey McGee, Terrell McClain, and Ziggy Hood across our defensive front.

• Like 7

On 6/29/2021 at 4:10 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

On 4/12/2021 at 3:59 PM, Berggy9598 said:

That lacks context. We’re not talking four defensive line first round studs all entering their prime looking for their first big payday in TB. They don’t have a DE that will most likely be the highest paid player at his position and another one that could be somewhere in the top 5. TB is also gearing up for a 2 year run at another Super Bowl which is a different scenario. We’re talking about roughly 70-80 million in cap space (could be more if Allen or Payne start racking up sacks) in one position room too. 

If you have a cheap QB you can make it happen. Tom Brady will count for less than 5% of the Bucs cap next year. 

Let’s hope Fitz or Heineke hit big for Washington or an incoming QB rookie contract comes through.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

If you have a cheap QB you can make it happen. Tom Brady will count for less than 5% of the Bucs cap next year. 

Let’s hope Fitz or Heineke hit big for Washington or an incoming QB rookie contract comes through.  

Agree but not easy to do.  Tom Brady as we know is a unicorn.  For example Peyton during that same era wanted every dollar he could squeeze out from his team which is more of the norm as for veteran QBs.   Tampa also has some cheap young talent like Vea, D. White, Winfield, etc.  But agree with your overall point that Brady helps and that's so unique.  

My take on the cheap QBs.  I am not a big fan of game manager types as for winning a SB, the last dude like that who won was Trent Dilfer, back when the game was quite different.  I am also not a fan of the script of hey the dude might not be that great but he's serviceable and we got him at a reasonable price.  The reason being you aren't likely going to a SB with a dude like that.   I might get a $16 type meal for a nice bargain of lets say $12.  But its still a $16 meal and its nothing to write home about. 

If I am trying to go outside the box and win a SB with a cheapish QB, I think you either got to get lucky and strike it big in the draft.  That is something this team historically has been bad at accomplishing.  Or finding a streaky QB who can get hot at the right time ala Nick Foles or Eli.  Both Foles and Eli were on fire in the post season.     Neither was carried for the ride but they both were key drivers of the bus.   Both winning SB MVP awards. 

Personally I think either Fitz or Heinicke could fit this profile.   If we signed for example Andy Dalton, I'd say we got no shot with someone like him -- doesn't matter what the bargain price was.    It's not that Fitz is that much better than Dalton but IMO its more that Dalton is a steady mediocre player for the most part.  His highs doesn't seem to be as high as Fitz's highpoint games.  And I don't think he's clutch.   Dalton isn't the type of guy I can envision outdueling Brady in a playoff game but I could see Fitz or Heinicke getting hot at pulling it off.  

Bringing this back to DT.  It's interesting to hear in recent days from people who cover the team that the Jonathan Allen contract situation might not work out.  I figure that one was borderline slam dunk.  I didn't envision that the same debate we all have here sometimes about him might spill into the contract negotiations.  That is, Allen doesn't have the gaudy numbers of some of the top paid DTs do.  So the impasse could be Allen's agent valuing him as for example a Chris Jones caliber player even though his stats don't stack up well to his.  This part of the argument was speculation from reporters but overall they don't seem to think this is going to be slam dunk.  Niki from the WP today speculated with Finlay on 106.7 that they either get a contract done before training camp or no deal gets done and Allen then might hit FA.

Edited by Skinsinparadise