Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

8 hours ago, dyst said:

5 first round picks + a defensive coordinator that is supposed to be legitimate and yet they still get gashed. 

Yea I'm officially against investing so much draft capital in the front like this in the future. Still giving up 30 points per game is ridiculous with the talent and nearly half decade we've spent building up this line.. I mean how long are you supposed to wait until you see results?? I mean we're gonna have to start PAYING these guys soon and the question is gonna be are they worth it???

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

17 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Yea I'm officially against investing so much draft capital in the front like this in the future. Still giving up 30 points per game is ridiculous with the talent and nearly half decade we've spent building up this line.. I mean how long are you supposed to wait until you see results?? I mean we're gonna have to start PAYING these guys soon and the question is gonna be are they worth it???

Everything about this team is just either wrong, idiotic or just bad timing.

Unless best available player was defensive linemen each of those years, it’s not a good idea to focus on one part of the team so much. You ignore the rest and never catch up. By the time you fill the other voids, your defensive line will be old or need to get paid.

Like when we drafted 3 WRs in the same draft or the year we went after a bunch of corners. Just dumb.

Edited by dyst

8 hours ago, dyst said:

5 first round picks + a defensive coordinator that is supposed to be legitimate and yet they still get gashed. 

I wonder what our offense would look like if we had 5 first round picks on the OFFENSIVE LINE. sorry......I feel better now.

• Like 1

Just now, tmandoug1 said:

I wonder what our offense would look like if we had 5 first round picks on the OFFENSIVE LINE. sorry......I feel better now.

Better for sure, similarly to how our defensive line is better for the investment.

14 minutes ago, dyst said:

Better for sure, similarly to how our defensive line is better for the investment.

For me the standard for a defense was the '92 and '04 defenses.. Yes '91 was amazing but when you have an offense like we had in 91 that was spotting the D so many points in the game it does make things easier for the defense. But in '92 and '04 our offenses stunk and our defenses were asked to be on the field more and do more. That '04 team they NEVER gave up 400 yards of defense and over 300 yards 7 TIMES, and NO one scored 30 points on them. Could you name anyone on that defensive line besides Griffin?? I mean even when the offense stunk up the place they STILL rolled out on the field like gangbusters ready to annihilate opposing offenses every possession, they didn't get their heads down. This defense though, they just don't have that mentality. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

For me the standard for a defense was the '92 and '04 defenses.. Yes '91 was amazing but when you have an offense like we had in 91 that was spotting the D so many points in the game it does make things easier for the defense. But in '92 and '04 our offenses stunk and our defenses were asked to be on the field more and do more. That '04 team they NEVER gave up 400 yards of defense and over 300 yards 7 TIMES, and NO one scored 30 points on them. Could you name anyone on that defensive line besides Griffin?? I mean even when the offense stunk up the place they STILL rolled out on the field like gangbusters ready to annihilate opposing offenses every possession, they didn't get their heads down. This defense though, they just don't have that mentality. 

Check out the 1983 Redskins....that team still owns the NFL record for turnover differential (+43)....no other team has better than (+28). That's an amazing record that may never be sniffed. 

Defense from last year to present

2019      2020

Sacks per game               10th        7th

Yards per game                27th        15th

3rd Down Per%                32nd       12th

Points Per Game              27th        22nd

It's a process, but it is improving

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

They need to play Settle more.  Allen and Payne are going to wear down if they keep getting this many reps.

I still don't get why they don't have a 4th DT on the active roster to replace Ioannidis. What the heck are they going to do if 2 of these 3 guys were to go down? Have a guard play on the other side?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Well we still got gashed in the run game the last few games. Our LBs must be really bad...

Nah, the Browns game many of the yards came in the 4th quarter after getting worn out, due to the offense. Ravens, wipe out the Jackson run and they held the run game in check. The Rams game was the first game the defense didn’t really have any sort of answers, but it appeared Mccvay was a step or two ahead all game. 

Side note: I’m okay with Allen not getting the cool stats if that means a nice extension at a fair rate :) Is it bad I hope Matty Ice gets extended this off-season while injured at a good rate as well. Locking in these dudes before the defense takes over the NFL 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Nah, the Browns game many of the yards came in the 4th quarter after getting worn out, due to the offense. Ravens, wipe out the Jackson run and they held the run game in check. The Rams game was the first game the defense didn’t really have any sort of answers, but it appeared Mccvay was a step or two ahead all game. 

Side note: I’m okay with Allen not getting the cool stats if that means a nice extension at a fair rate :) Is it bad I hope Matty Ice gets extended this off-season while injured at a good rate as well. Locking in these dudes before the defense takes over the NFL 

Ion already signed an extension last year.

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Well we still got gashed in the run game the last few games. Our LBs must be really bad...

13 hours ago, wit33 said:

9 hours ago, bh32 said:

The LB's are so bad that they make the DL look bad..They never shoot gaps and play more of a read and react than a attacking style

The LBs are not a good unit.

Some things people said to me this offseason as I was preaching the LB need: “We have Del Rio and Rivera, they are going to make these guys better.”

”We have much bigger needs, like corner”

Among others. 

Hopefully they take LB seriously this offseason. It’s the next step to making this defense better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I don't know if Holcomb has even played yet and we were all hoping Foster would have recovered and been a factor. SDH had apparently improved quite a bit but we have yet to see it.

Most were pretty in tune that Foster wasn’t going to play, and if he did he wasn’t going to be the same Foster. 

Holcomb is okay, but he doesn’t play down hill. He’s reactionary. He doesn’t attack the LoS. 

I kept hearing people say SDH was better but I didn’t see it happening that quick.

LB has to be corrected. I don’t care who was right and who wasn’t. It needs to be fixed.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Most were pretty in tune that Foster wasn’t going to play, and if he did he wasn’t going to be the same Foster. 

Holcomb is okay, but he doesn’t play down hill. He’s reactionary. He doesn’t attack the LoS. 

I kept hearing people say SDH was better but I didn’t see it happening that quick.

LB has to be corrected. I don’t care who was right and who wasn’t. It needs to be fixed.

Wasn't disagreeing at all. You're correct. I think that may have been the mindset going in from the some of the coaches thinking the DLine would overshadow the average back 7