Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I guess the reboot includes the feeble marketing of our new name by putting it in the place where the players name is supposed to go.

Commanders back to pass, Commanders fumbles after attempting a left handed pass, commanders lose

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure the time frame for that low revenue ranking (could be over the last fiscal year or something) but if that includes the rebrand timeframe, holy crap that would be alarming on brand new levels.

We are not talking about profits, but revenue, and any rebrand should be a massive spike in revenue. Even a bad rebrand should constitute a spike.

I'd be interested to know the timeframe for this data pull b/c there is a massive difference in being low-tier in a WFT timeline and low-tier in a Commanders timeline. One is almost expected given a temp name, ramped down and stoppage of sales and poor attendance. The other is news so bad its like taking a nuclear bomb to the nads.

• Like 2

It still boggles my mind that it took so long to change the name after announcing it.  Talk about setting up unrealistic expectations by making fans wait 2 freaking years? And fans that were genuinely curious what the name would be, giving up waiting to the point they just didn't care anymore what the ****ing name was, they didn't care anymore and tuned it all out. Even us hardcore folks knew all odds pointed to us being disappointed.

Remember the famous quote winning off the field... wow that couldnt be farther from the truth. We have to have THE worst marketing/PR gig in the league. Maybe among ALL major sports teams. I am convinced we still have not hit rock bottom which may be Dan holding out in the face of lies sex corruption and failures.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

@FootballZombie Actually that's a good point that kind of defends the team a little bit. They probably haven't realized much of the revenue from the rebrand yet, so some of the fall in revenue can likely be attributed to that. Now, that's not really an excuse since they waited so long, chose the name, ultimately lost all the goodwill and caved into the sponsors to be forced to change the name, etc. 

But, not many people were buying the temporary gear and they've only had their new name for a couple months...so it's probably artificially low right now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But, not many people were buying the temporary gear and they've only had their new name for a couple months...so it's probably artificially low right now. 

Thats why its been talked by some that the team desperately needs to be "good" this year 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@FootballZombie Actually that's a good point that kind of defends the team a little bit. They probably haven't realized much of the revenue from the rebrand yet, so some of the fall in revenue can likely be attributed to that. Now, that's not really an excuse since they waited so long, chose the name, ultimately lost all the goodwill and caved into the sponsors to be forced to change the name, etc. 

I don't know how much crap they'll sell for the Commanders. The Redskins were a AAA name (okay poor choice of words) product that Snyder managed to ruin. WFT was at least paired with Ron coming in (you know, hope), but the Commanders? The name sucks, uniforms suck, rollout sucked, and there's NO connection with the Redskins.  There's not going to be an uptick once people "accept" the name (my words not yours), because even if we went back to the declining sales, we're still facing declining sales.

He's as ****ed as the owner as we are having him as the owner.

15 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Thats why its been talked by some that the team desperately needs to be "good" this year 

He's tried that for 23 years. It worked in 1999, 2005, (I don't put 2007 in here), 2012, 2015, and a "WTF JUST HAPPENED?!" 2020.

I'm not sure that 24 is going to be the year he gets what he wants.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't know how much crap they'll sell for the Commanders. The Redskins were a AAA name (okay poor choice of words) product that Snyder managed to ruin. WFT was at least paired with Ron coming in (you know, hope), but the Commanders? The name sucks, uniforms suck, rollout sucked, and there's NO connection with the Redskins.  There's not going to be an uptick once people "accept" the name (my words not yours), because even if we went back to the declining sales, we're still facing declining sales.

He's as ****ed as the owner as we are having him as the owner.

I didn't mean to sound like I was defending him or claiming the team was in a good spot. I just think merchandise sales were probably about as low as they were going to be over the past 12 months because it was the last several months of a temporary name. I'm sure even the first couple months of WFT saw some surge in sales. But, once October or so of 2021 rolled around, who was going to buy a hat or jersey knowing that it was done? 

So, the name might suck and the uniforms might suck (I agree with both points), but there are some fans who won't care and will get a Wentz jersey or a Dotson t-shirt. It happens every year. They will convince themselves that "the white unis actually don't look just like the Arizona uniforms!" and buy one anyway. 

It really doesn't matter and I'm not sure why I made the point. Whether they are 32 or 27, he took them from top 5 or 10 to bottom rung. 

Nothing will really improve with Dan. Dan himself is the #1 problem and not even winning will cure it.

A good chunk will not spend a single dime as long as Dan is the Owner. Will not even watch or go to games as long as the owner.

I don’t see Dan getting a bunch of new fans to replace the lost fans. He’s incapable of getting the right people; to become a consistent winner.

If Dan does build a stadium; it will be mostly empty.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I didn't mean to sound like I was defending him or claiming the team was in a good spot. I just think merchandise sales were probably about as low as they were going to be over the past 12 months because it was the last several months of a temporary name. I'm sure even the first couple months of WFT saw some surge in sales. But, once October or so of 2021 rolled around, who was going to buy a hat or jersey knowing that it was done? 

So, the name might suck and the uniforms might suck (I agree with both points), but there are some fans who won't care and will get a Wentz jersey or a Dotson t-shirt. It happens every year. They will convince themselves that "the white unis actually don't look just like the Arizona uniforms!" and buy one anyway. 

It really doesn't matter and I'm not sure why I made the point. Whether they are 32 or 27, he took them from top 5 or 10 to bottom rung. 

Sorry! I was actually in agreement with you and trying to further your point. My bad.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Some NFL owners support ‘tough suspension,’ wary of forcing out Snyder

ATLANTA — Several NFL team owners said they would support a significant suspension by the league of Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder if allegations of sexual harassment and financial impropriety against him and the team are substantiated.

But despite growing displeasure with a string of controversies that began nearly two years ago, the owners said no meaningful steps have been taken toward making a push to remove Snyder from ownership of his franchise.

Snyder has denied all allegations against him.

“There’s certainly concern,” said one owner who, like the others, spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic. “There’s anger. But there’s quite a difference between wishing he was gone and taking steps to force him out.”

That owner and others said they would support the league taking significant disciplinary action against Snyder if an investigation being conducted by attorney Mary Jo White corroborates the allegations.

...Asked whether the owners could reach the point of attempting to oust Snyder from ownership if White’s report substantiates the allegations against him, that owner said, “I don’t know.”

While not ruling out the possibility, multiple owners cited the legal complications of such an attempt, expressing the belief that Snyder would go to great lengths to fight any such effort.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said he was unaware of any effort by the owners aimed at removing Snyder.

...Goodell acknowledged that the owners have opinions about the matter, adding, “I’ve often said to everyone, including this group, ‘Let’s wait to get the facts.’ ”

White’s investigation of Snyder and the Commanders was launched in the wake of allegations made during a Feb. 3 congressional roundtable. Tiffani Johnston, a former cheerleader and marketing manager for the team, was among six former employees who appeared on Capitol Hill to speak about their experiences working for the team as the panel investigates its workplace culture and the NFL’s handling of allegations of pervasive sexual misconduct at the franchise. She told members of Congress that Snyder harassed her at a team dinner, putting his hand on her thigh and pressing her toward his limo.

Snyder called the accusations made directly against him “outright lies.”

White also is looking into allegations of financial improprieties that were detailed in a 20-page letter sent by Democratic leaders of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform to the Federal Trade Commission. The committee’s letter detailed allegations made by Jason Friedman, a former vice president of sales and customer service who worked for the team for 24 years. According to the letter, Friedman accused the team of withholding as much as $5 million in refundable deposits from season ticket holders and also hiding money that was supposed to be shared among NFL owners.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Just pledge full on into the Ravens. I agree with you that Lamar won’t take them to a SuperBowl.

If you are waiting for Dan to be forced out; you got a long wait. Even if it does happen; it will be 3-5 years down the road.

You can always come back after the team is sold. Though, I would wait a year; to see how the new owner is.

You already got that bad vibe from Dan in his first year and you should get a feel of the new owner after a year.

One more thing about Ravens; if they were bold, they would move on from Lamar.

I'm not sure what take years if they voted him out I mean what  Legal recourse what do you have? The league's bylaws are pretty clear.  If they do in fact voting out I'll be back on board that day, Even if a technically still on the team we would all know the deal then

On 5/23/2022 at 6:55 PM, TK said:

You're half right. Champ had baby momma(s) showing up at the Park with their hand out. Wifey said we're out of here or else.

It was Springs that was tagging CSN's reporter who was shipped out of market to Houston when it got back to Dan that she complained on how lousy the Press Box catering was. 

Interesting, wonder why Champ has such animosity towards the organization then. Always just assumed it was because he was traded while entering his prime for a RB. Seems like we did him a solid? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Nothing will really improve with Dan. Dan himself is the #1 problem and not even winning will cure it.

A good chunk will not spend a single dime as long as Dan is the Owner. Will not even watch or go to games as long as the owner.

I don’t see Dan getting a bunch of new fans to replace the lost fans. He’s incapable of getting the right people; to become a consistent winner.

If Dan does build a stadium; it will be mostly empty.

And it has been that way ever since he bought the team.  When we starting spending like crazy, my Uncle told me this guy is bad news, I hope I am wrong, sadly he wasn't and he noi longer follows this team.

19 minutes ago, max21 said:

Interesting, wonder why Champ has such animosity towards the organization then. Always just assumed it was because he was traded while entering his prime for a RB. Seems like we did him a solid? 

Freakin soap opera

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm not sure what take years if they voted him out I mean what  Legal recourse what do you have? The league's bylaws are pretty clear.  If they do in fact voting out I'll be back on board that day, Even if a technically still on the team we would all know the deal then

Well, it will probably take the NFL a couple of years to actually get 24 votes and Dan will tie things in litigation that could another 2-3 years.

19 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I know it sounds like a good idea to make a clean break from this franchise and pledge your fandom elsewhere.  Just know it's not possible.  You can pretend all you want by scouting a new team, getting familiar with their players, etc. but be rest assured you will never be able to manufacture the enthusiasm and fandom that you once had for this team.

You can only pick one football team in life, and unfortunately for all of us - Dan Snyder bought our team and ran it into the ground quickly.  So badly, that he was forced to change the name he said he'd never change - but to a generic name like the Commanders where he'll most likely put a crap stadium in a crap location, that will last long beyond our years on this earth.

I agree with you. I have been trying to switch to the Ravens for several years. I would watch but my heart just wasn't in to it.

But this all changed for me with the sexual investigation cover up, along with all the reports on Tanya. My anger is so high I just can't root for a team owned by people like this.  When I cheer they cheer and that takes the fun out of it for me.  When the season starts I'll be interested in my reaction.  A part of me wants them to go 0-17.  

I too believe you pick a team when you are young and this is your team, win or lose, for life. I also think it's BS that fans have 2 "my teams", which obviously gives you twice the opportunity to have one of your teams win.  I'll try to root for the Ravens but as you say I'll never have the same passion.  

• Like 3

I have a hard time turning my back and/or not paying attention to this team. Why? Because if we ever turn it around, I want to be able to say I stayed loyal and stuck through the dark times so I can really appreciate the bright times. It's also a lesson to my children, as goofy as that sounds. Loyalty is important, but it's also important to be able to recognize flaws and hope they are corrected. It's okay to move on, too, if the situations aren't resolved (and that's another lesson to my kids that I try to convey that relationships and football are different).

But yes, I find myself more interested in Buffalo, that being the local team, more and more every year. Not to switch allegiances. But to shift focus to something less depressing and more fun. But you'll never catch me in Buffalo gear or anything like that. I am a WFT fan. Always will be. I won't turn my back on the franchise. But Snyder... my back is completely towards him. He is not the kind of person I want leading this franchise, and nor do I think he is capable of turning this franchise into a yearly contender.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I have a hard time turning my back and/or not paying attention to this team. Why? Because if we ever turn it around, I want to be able to say I stayed loyal and stuck through the dark times so I can really appreciate the bright times. It's also a lesson to my children, as goofy as that sounds. Loyalty is important, but it's also important to be able to recognize flaws and hope they are corrected. It's okay to move on, too, if the situations aren't resolved (and that's another lesson to my kids that I try to convey that relationships and football are different).

But yes, I find myself more interested in Buffalo, that being the local team, more and more every year. Not to switch allegiances. But to shift focus to something less depressing and more fun. But you'll never catch me in Buffalo gear or anything like that. I am a WFT fan. Always will be. I won't turn my back on the franchise. But Snyder... my back is completely towards him. He is not the kind of person I want leading this franchise, and nor do I think he is capable of turning this franchise into a yearly contender.

This is exactly where I'm at but I'm local so its the Ravens or nothing. And I'm way to envious to be able to enjoy watching them and pretend I'm not depressed about what's happening here. That and Baltimore smells like a giants anus filled with old chipotle. 

So I do my best to pretend football doesn't exist when we are bad. You see how well that's going for me. 

No. Darkness will always be my friend. 

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some NFL owners support ‘tough suspension,’ wary of forcing out Snyder

ATLANTA — Several NFL team owners said they would support a significant suspension by the league of Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder if allegations of sexual harassment and financial impropriety against him and the team are substantiated.

But despite growing displeasure with a string of controversies that began nearly two years ago, the owners said no meaningful steps have been taken toward making a push to remove Snyder from ownership of his franchise.

Snyder has denied all allegations against him.

“There’s certainly concern,” said one owner who, like the others, spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic. “There’s anger. But there’s quite a difference between wishing he was gone and taking steps to force him out.”

That owner and others said they would support the league taking significant disciplinary action against Snyder if an investigation being conducted by attorney Mary Jo White corroborates the allegations.

...Asked whether the owners could reach the point of attempting to oust Snyder from ownership if White’s report substantiates the allegations against him, that owner said, “I don’t know.”

While not ruling out the possibility, multiple owners cited the legal complications of such an attempt, expressing the belief that Snyder would go to great lengths to fight any such effort.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said he was unaware of any effort by the owners aimed at removing Snyder.

...Goodell acknowledged that the owners have opinions about the matter, adding, “I’ve often said to everyone, including this group, ‘Let’s wait to get the facts.’ ”

White’s investigation of Snyder and the Commanders was launched in the wake of allegations made during a Feb. 3 congressional roundtable. Tiffani Johnston, a former cheerleader and marketing manager for the team, was among six former employees who appeared on Capitol Hill to speak about their experiences working for the team as the panel investigates its workplace culture and the NFL’s handling of allegations of pervasive sexual misconduct at the franchise. She told members of Congress that Snyder harassed her at a team dinner, putting his hand on her thigh and pressing her toward his limo.

Snyder called the accusations made directly against him “outright lies.”

White also is looking into allegations of financial improprieties that were detailed in a 20-page letter sent by Democratic leaders of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform to the Federal Trade Commission. The committee’s letter detailed allegations made by Jason Friedman, a former vice president of sales and customer service who worked for the team for 24 years. According to the letter, Friedman accused the team of withholding as much as $5 million in refundable deposits from season ticket holders and also hiding money that was supposed to be shared among NFL owners.

The Yankees dynasty of the late 90s was significantly due to the fact that a suspended Steinbrenner allowed the baseball people to do their work and they came up with Jeter, Pettitte, Williams, and Posada.

A long, long Snyder suspension would be quite welcoming.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I agree with you. I have been trying to switch to the Ravens for several years. I would watch but my heart just wasn't in to it.

But this all changed for me with the sexual investigation cover up, along with all the reports on Tanya. My anger is so high I just can't root for a team owned by people like this.  When I cheer they cheer and that takes the fun out of it for me.  When the season starts I'll be interested in my reaction.  A part of me wants them to go 0-17.  

I too believe you pick a team when you are young and this is your team, win or lose, for life. I also think it's BS that fans have 2 "my teams", which obviously gives you twice the opportunity to have one of your teams win.  I'll try to root for the Ravens but as you say I'll never have the same passion.  

I tried with AZ. Even got to know all the players, followed thier draft, watched games etc. But it was just not the same passion. And what pisses me off the most is that I am not sure I can ever get that same passion I had for this team. Dan took that away from me and I do not think i can ever get it back. That makes me hate him more than anything. 

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The Yankees dynasty of the late 90s was significantly due to the fact that a suspended Steinbrenner allowed the baseball people to do their work and they came up with Jeter, Pettitte, Williams, and Posada.

A long, long Snyder suspension would be quite welcoming.

Cowards! I get what you are saying and would not turn down a real suspension but do we really believe that would change the franchise? It will still be his organization. 

They need to cut out the rot and that rot is dan ****ing snyder. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I tried with AZ. Even got to know all the players, followed thier draft, watched games etc. But it was just not the same passion. And what pisses me off the most is that I am not sure I can ever get that same passion I had for this team. Dan took that away from me and I do not think i can ever get it back. That makes me hate him more than anything. 

Cowards! I get what you are saying and would not turn down a real suspension but do we really believe that would change the franchise? It will still be his organization. 

They need to cut out the rot and that rot is dan ****ing snyder. 

I'm only half following this thread in the conversation but the thing that gets me is that when I talk football, I'm talking from a certain perspective, a history. Sure Dan has ruined my recent memory but he didn't ruin the 80s. Even under his ownership there have been bright spots, the runs under GIbbs, the You Like That game, the RG3 year, the 7-9 division winners, the Heinicke stuff. Even if I were to walk in the next 5 year or so, I can't walk from those things. I remember in the 90s when I was gravitating towards the Lions because of Barry and my despising of Norv's ineptness, I'd talk to Skins fans and Lions fans and I liked their roster. I liked Charlie Batch, Herman Moore, Brett Perrimen, etc, Kevin Glover. It was great. But I was still checking in on my ex. I would look at Norv and watch the games and watch the scores to see if he was doing well. I would go to a barber shop or a basketball court and then when they started talking trash about my Skins, I'd get defensive and suddenly I'm defending Gus being better than Heath. I remember the argument. Dude was shooting free throws and three pointers saying how much Heath was better than Gus and how Gus shouldn't even be in the league. I think this was 97ish before we started on the 7-1 run. He was like how are you going to pick somebody top of the first round and not start him. I was trying to stay quiet because I despised Norv and really wanted to move on. But eventually I found myself just getting in his face talking about you don't know football because Heath is bad, just bad, just really bad. And then my love for Gus just started coming back. Even though I couldn't stand Norv, I really liked Gus and his play at QB. We could never get the players and we had done our team from the 80s and early 90s wrong and we had gone into enemy terrirory hiring Norv and Alvin Harper and James Wasington and all those bums, but I couldn't let this guy, a Dallas fan at that just go after my team like that. 

Shortly after I found sites like webskins and tsn and extremskins that served as a support group therapy for fans who were in need of help through this process. Funny thing is that we thought that Dan would bring clarity and order to the team because we were in such flux under a sick JKC and then the flux caused by his death and letting Trent Green go. Boy were we wrong. 

• Like 1

If I were to guess, I'd say that the owners would threaten Snyder's financial future (behind the scenes) if he refused to sell, rather than openly vote him out.

It wouldn't surprise me if something like that was in play with Jerry Richardson or Eddie DeBartolo. These are not necessarily nice people engaged in a nice business.

Snyder's wealth is largely tied to, and tied up with, the team, so it's not like he can tell the owners to take a hike if they pressure him thusly.

As for fanhood--I'd rather just drop the league entirely than flounce away to the Ravens or Bills etc. Dan Snyder and things like the Jon Gruden affair and the Browns' signing of DeShaun Watson have soured me somewhat on the entire enterprise. I still have my treasured memories of the old days, but this doesn't seem like that league anymore.

Edited by profusion