Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Sure, winning on its own might not cure anything. But winning PLUS the font office AND Snyder both showing everyone they can start acting like a respectable winning franchise for once (not saying it will happen, just saying for this scenario) will hopefully get people to cheer again. 

will any of that happen? I HOPE. I cant predict the future though, so i have no idea. 

39 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's probably true.  Would it bring some people back and gain some new fans? Sure.  But I can't see it ever touching what it once was.

That said, Del Rio and Ron, have no choice but to make the narrative about winning.

Winning would cure it. Real winning like a sustained 3-5 year timeframe of average over 12 wins a year

i just don’t have hope they current football people are competent for it 

Edited by Zim489

13 hours ago, MrJL said:

I see a new article claiming owners might want a tougher suspension, but are worried about forcing him out.  But how exactly do you enforce that?  I mean all he needs in this day and age is a smart phone

It's happened before in sports.  I think Eddie Debartalo was suspended, and for sure George Steinbrenner was.  Maybe Al Davis at some point?

The thing here that makes it absolutely ridiculous is if The Great Queen and Savior from On High Tonya is the replacement "CEO" while Dan is on suspension, unless they get a divorce, they at the very least live together, and you have to think they would discuss stuff.  

As long as they are married and Tonya is put in charge, any suspension for Dan is a complete farce.

You've got to suspend BOTH of them.  Basically the entire ownership group has to be suspended, and a league appointed interim CEO would have to be appointed.  Otherwise, a suspension is as useless as a watering hose on the titanic.  

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's happened before in sports.  I think Eddie Debartalo was suspended, and for sure George Steinbrenner was.  Maybe Al Davis at some point?

The thing here that makes it absolutely ridiculous is if The Great Queen and Savior from On High Tonya is the replacement "CEO" while Dan is on suspension, unless they get a divorce, they at the very least live together, and you have to think they would discuss stuff.  

As long as they are married and Tonya is put in charge, any suspension for Dan is a complete farce.

You've got to suspend BOTH of them.  Basically the entire ownership group has to be suspended, and a league appointed interim CEO would have to be appointed.  Otherwise, a suspension is as useless as a watering hose on the titanic.  

Wellington Mara was forced aside for like 2 years and was forced a team president to run everything 

7 hours ago, sebestian said:

You missed this one but I got you since you fixed the original post :)  ~ TK

I know.  I am losing my mind.  Just please sell Snyder so i can get my normal brain back.

4 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Wrong forum

I was referring to that individual being the new owner.  How is that the wrong forum.  I just want to learn for future reference.  Thank in advance.

37 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I think if we were still the Redskins (and we are), vast majority would come back.   I'm not as sure with the Commanders.

Honestly, I don't think that matters as much as some think it does.  

There will be some folks who will never come back because of the name.  Fine.  They are mostly older and were going to die anyway.  

They need to cultivate a new fan base.  As much crap as the name Commanders name gets, it's totally fine. (The rollout of the name was a complete disgrace. But that's a different story.) I said this before, just about all the names in the NFL are boring.  

5 are birds: Eagles, Falcons, Ravens, Seahawks, Cardinals

9 are big animals: Dolphins, Bears, Bengals, Panthers, Lions, Jaguars, Rams, Broncos, Colts

8 Location Specific: 49ers, Patriots, Commanders, Texans, Saints, Steelers, Packers, Cowboys

3 are pirates/conquerors/rapists/murderers: Buccaneers, Raiders, Vikings

6 are kindof random Chargers, Titans, Jets, Giants, Browns, Bills (named for a dude)

1 is still Native American themed: Chiefs

None of the names are really all that exciting.  If the team was named the Commanders from the start, nobody would have any problem with it.  Because for God's sake, people root for wimpy birds and dolphins.  Chargers is a stupid name.  Great powder blue unis.  Jets? I mean, that might have been cool in the 60's when jets were new.  That's like "the New York Airplanes."  I mean, if it was fighter jets, that's one thing, but they've always been commercial jets. 

The Ravens were completely ridiculed when they moved to Baltimore and changed their name to the Ravens.  Same with the Titans.  

They weren't ever going to please anybody with the name.  Everybody was going to hate it.  No matter what they chose, except maybe if they had gone with Redwolves, where some people would have liked it, and the rest of us would have thought it sounded liked a JV football team and it would have been another stupid big animal name.  But absent that, it was always going to be hated.

Commanders is fine.  

The name becomes synonymous with a city through time, winning, moments and emotions.  

If there are "get off my lawn" folks over the name change, I don't really care. 

They need a new stadium, preferably in a place where there is a lot of other stuff around it (if that's in the FedEx parking lot and they build a whole bunch of new stuff there, fine.  If it's somewhere else, fine) and they need to win.  

They need those 2 things.  The name is irrelevant. They will generate interest and fans with those 2 things. 

19 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Wellington Mara was forced aside for like 2 years and was forced a team president to run everything 

I don't remember this.  When?  Not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember it at all...

44 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Winning would cure it. Real winning like a sustained 3-5 year timeframe of average over 12 wins a year

i just don’t have hope they current football people are competent for it 

Even if Dan was to hire the 'competent football people' you speak of, they'd still be saddled with the same BS that the current regime you don't believe in is saddled with.  GM and head coach is already a hard enough job for any of the 32 teams in the NFL, but it's much, much more difficult to be successul here.  Let's just pretend for a moment, that Dan actually has sat on his hands about everything and been MIA, that Rivera has been able to do 100% of everything he wants to do, without so much as hearing Dan's opinion on anything....he's still dealing with being at the bottom of perhaps the biggest fall from grace of any fanbase in sports history which results in an empty stadium or worse one filled with opposing teams fans, the facilities in Ashburn pale in comparison to some high schools in Texas, a forced name change with a very ho-hum rebranding, ownership and prior management involved in congressional hearings and investigations, and the list goes on and on and on and on.  If you don't think that stuff has a major impact on anyone's ability to build a winner, much less a consistent winner, then I don't know what to tell you.  All I can say is that you'd be better off finding a new franchise to root for if your expectation is that Dan Snyder is going to hire a competent GM, stay out of his way, allow him to hire a next level head coach, and that all the drama associated with this franchise is going to disappear into thin air allowing it all to be successful.

The bottom line is that you absolutely have to grade anyone put in charge of this franchise on a curve, and if you can't do that and set these high expectations for what will be satisfying to you - your are willfully setting yourself up to be pissed off all the time.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Chargers is a stupid name. 

It was before it's time man. Who would have thought a lightning bolt was a charger back in the 60's? Now days everybody on the planet have Chargers, some are even Lightning Port or Thunderbolt Port Chargers lol. 

36 minutes ago, sebestian said:

I know.  I am losing my mind.  Just please sell Snyder so i can get my normal brain back.

I was referring to that individual being the new owner.  How is that the wrong forum.  I just want to learn for future reference.  Thank in advance.

I would suggest you to check TK's posts on this very thread a page back and edit some of your posts mate.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sebestian said:

lol

@Sebestien that aint a message about you.

I wrote a response to your post and immediately after sending and reading a post @TK made realized that my response NOT YOUR POST was a potential violation of the rules of this forum.

So I quickly edited my post (ie deleted it) but when you do that you still have to leave a message.

The message I left “wrong forum” was referring to my post not yours.

😆 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

It was before it's time man. Who would have thought a lightning bolt was a charger back in the 60's? Now days everybody on the planet have Chargers, some are even Lightning Port or Thunderbolt Port Chargers lol. 

So were the Jets.  Before their time because jets were new.  But it's still dumb. 

The Chargers is still a dumb name.  The Cardinals is a stupid small red bird.  Dolphins are wonderful to swim with. And sure, maybe you know they CAN be kindof fierce.  But they've never branded the dolphins are fierce.   Ravens?  Because of Edgar Allen Poe?  The Bills are named for a guy named Buffalo Bill.  That's really dumb, if you think about it.  Good alliteration.  That's about it.  They really should have just been "The Buffalos."  And been done with it.  

All the "big animal" and bird names are meh.  They're cool because of the history of the team.  

I will die on this hill.  

There is no doubt that some of the other names in the league are generic as well.

None of those teams have been forced into changing their name though.  Snyder had the opportunity and squandered it, imagine that.  The rollout and jerseys are actually worse than the actual name, but again - Danya.  Phew.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I get a weird feeling about JDR. I think he's on more solid ground than Ron. Why you ask, because I think he's a Snyder informant. He has the profile and he's on Twitter just enough. It also wouldn't surprise me if he's a Chris Russell type informant. 

What do you mean by "Snyder informant"? Likes he's tattling on the coaches to Snyder? Or that he's tattling on Snyder to the NFL? I don't see what JDR would have anything to do with Snyder, he's a third year coach that doesn't seem particularly close to Snyder. I don't think I've ever seen them in the same picture together.

Edited by NickyJ

59 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So were the Jets.  Before their time because jets were new.  But it's still dumb. 

Surely you know the Jets were originally the NY Titans and changed their name in the early 60's to Jets because they shared the same facility with the Mets.  This gave the NY professional teams of Jets, Mets and Nets.

:229:The Rook 

8 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Surely you know the Jets were originally the NY Titans and changed their name in the early 60's to Jets because they shared the same facility with the Mets.  This gave the NY professional teams of Jets, Mets and Nets.

I do know that...and don't call me Shirley.

8byho1gdo1a81.jpg

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

lol

@Sebestien that aint a message about you.

I wrote a response to your post and immediately after sending and reading a post @TK made realized that my response NOT YOUR POST was a potential violation of the rules of this forum.

So I quickly edited my post (ie deleted it) but when you do that you still have to leave a message.

The message I left “wrong forum” was referring to my post not yours.

😆 

Thanks for letting me know.  I just want to follow the rules.  I understand now.  Thanks again.

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, sebestian said:

I would take Trump being the owner if it meant Snyder was gone.  My standards are dwindling as my patience whines.  

6 hours ago, TK said:

6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.
Type in your word and let the filters do their job of substituting asterisks for letters. Then check your post to see if all profanity was filtered. Veiled or "subtle" attempts at using profanity are unacceptable. We allow the use of either all asterisks/symbols or none at all. For example "****" and "*&*%$" are acceptable, while “s**t” or “sh*t" are not.

Members quoting profanity filter violations (or other rule violations) without editing the violation out of the quote are simply creating another violation of this Rule and may be penalized accordingly.

Both of you - Please edit your posts within a timely manner. ...

2 hours ago, sebestian said:

Time stamps are a wonderful thing. :)

I said TIME stamps, not tramp stamps ya buncha goobs. :silly: That's also a discussion for the Tailgate. ;)  

Now, back to the matter at hand...

@sebestian 

Your future reference is stuck at the top of the Forum. It was also pointed out to you an hour after your violation. Along with a Mod directive, that you didn't follow after coming back four hours later. 

Since you're currently on the board & you'll get a notice (like the one you received when I quoted you that you ignored)  since I @'d you, I'll give you few minutes to correct your error. :) 

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

I did not know this.  

Jets is still a stupid name. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TK said:

Time stamps are a wonderful thing. :)

I said TIME stamps, not tramp stamps ya buncha goobs. :silly: That's also a discussion for the Tailgate. ;)  

Now, back to the matter at hand...

@sebestian 

Your future reference is stuck at the top of the Forum. It was also pointed out to you an hour after your violation. Along with a Mod directive, that you didn't follow after coming back four hours later. 

Since you're currently on the board & you'll get a notice (like the one you received when I quoted you that you ignored)  since I @'d you, I'll give you few minutes to correct your error. :) 

Sorry, TK.  I was running around today and did not intentionally ignore your request.  My bad.  I have deleted the post.  If their is anything else \I have to do please let me know.  Thank you in advance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Sorry, TK.  I was running around today and did not intentionally ignore your request.  My bad.  I have deleted the post.  If their is anything else \I have to do please let me know.  Thank you in advance.

Thank you. :)

Also, FYI

:D  

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is no doubt that some of the other names in the league are generic as well.

None of those teams have been forced into changing their name though.  Snyder had the opportunity and squandered it, imagine that.  The rollout and jerseys are actually worse than the actual name, but again - Danya.  Phew.

Eh, I still don’t see a name that would have been appealing to anybody.  Or most people.

And you want it generic because it needs to be timeless.  

If you pick a name that isn’t generic, as time goes by it can get “dated.” 

Kindof like our old name.

And 2 teams did rebrand somewhat recently: Oilers to Titans (Which was roundly criticized and they have a damn flaming thumbtack as a logo) and the Browns to Ravens, and when that happened, everybody thought that was stupid.  And they were right.  It’s stupid.  

Them Ray Lewis happens and it’s legendary.  

Both of those names are generic.

In a vacuum, is Commanders really worse than Titans and Ravens?  If you take the fact THIS organization did it out of the mix, you’d say all three were about the same level of “meh” generic.  

The rollout was abysmal. There’s no debate about that.

We’ll see about the unis when we see them on players. The branding seems “ok.”  But we’ll see. Again, minus crest-gate, everybody was going to hate it because it was different.  and because everybody assumed it was going to be terrible before they saw it. 

There have also been a few expansion teams: Panthers, Jaguars and Texans.  All blah.  2 big cats and one state name.  Big whatever. 

I think there is natural bias against absolutely anything this team does because, as your screen name says, we’re such battered fans.  

So we immediately come to the conclusion everything is terrible and worse than anywhere else.  

But in case of the name,  everybody was going to be mad no matter what because it wasn’t the old name.

(ps: I didn’t want Warriors either because there is already a Warriors team in the NBA. To me that also would have been a coo out.)

I don’t want this to come off as defending Dan.  My original point was I don’t think the name really is going to keep people away.  Losing will. Scandals will.  A terrible stadium experience is. 

The name might keep some away.  But if they win and have a good stadium experience, there will be new fans.