Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Maybe we should start some 4 billions gofundme stuff to outbid Dan and do it like them or like the Barca, Real Madrid are doing it.

Naw but for real - would be pretty sweet to have a pro organization that's at least semi-publically owned. I hate the franchise model (in no large part because an owner can up and tear the heart out of a city by moving or otherwise making the organization look foolish). Even with the deep pockets in and around around the Beltway, I doub it's even in the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Just read on instagram that Goddell is proposing a vote to remove Dan.

No. Just......................no.

Don't tease me like that. We all know it's not going to happen. Dan will become a Litch and live forever as the Undead owner of the football team that resides in Washington, forever.

That is our fate. We are doomed as fans.

Do. Not. Give. Me. Hope.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Everyone here loves Darrell Green, Art Monk, etc.   But I don't think any of those players would have received the response that ST did.  

See, I just don't get that.

No doubt ST was a very good to great player during his short time in the league. The way in which his life ended was undeniably tragic.  And it was admirable the way he seemed to be transitioning into a family man with his own child.

But while Sean was the team's best player at the time of his death, was he really that much of a community icon? Maybe he was, but I just don't remember it.

42 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

But while Sean was the team's best player at the time of his death, was he really that much of a community icon? Maybe he was, but I just don't remember it.

Sean was a player that transcended the community.  He was one of the few players we’ve drafted in the last few decades of that caliber.  A player that fans of other teams respected and loved to watch play.  

They don’t make safeties like him anymore and if they did, wouldn’t last long with the rules the way they are now.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

No doubt ST was a very good to great player during his short time in the league. The way in which his life ended was undeniably tragic.  And it was admirable the way he seemed to be transitioning into a family man with his own child.

I don't know what the definition of a "community icon" is.  

Washington Football on FanNation 

David Harrison  5 hrs ago

Coach Ron Rivera on Washington Discipline: 'Maybe I Need to Change My Approach'

While those outside the team point fingers, it's on those inside to fix the problem.

Maybe it's the Washington Football Team franchise stink lingering in the air, or the quarterback play of Taylor Heinicke. It could be the poor play of defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio's group, and maybe Chase Young is a bust. Jamin Davis might have been a wasted pick. 

Or perhaps Ron Rivera just isn't the head coach we all wanted to believe he was. 

Whatever reason you, or we, think the WFT is struggling in this 2-4 start to the 2021 NFL Season, the year will move on

Ask coach Rivera what the mistakes are attributed to, and he'll give you a simple answer. 

"I think it's a little bit a lack of discipline," Rivera told media on Monday. "Which I said (Sunday) falls on me. That's something that if I have to approach it differently than I will...and that's something that's important."

Discipline is absolutely one of the fundamental keys to succeeding in professional sports. 

It doesn't matter what you're doing in performance-based businesses, if you go about it with a lack of discipline, you're going to fail.

So how does it get fixed? As the man said himself, it starts with the head coach. 

"As far as coaching is concerned, there are certain ways to approach it," Rivera said. "And maybe I need to change my approach."

Now, I don't know about you, but those words don't sound like good news for the players. 

Of course, we don't know what this really means. On some teams, fumbles can get a running back benched for the next series or even the remainder of a game. 

Will Rivera go that route with missed tackles? Especially the really bad, lack of discipline, missed tackles?

Only time will tell, really. Words are empty unless results are seen on the field. Even if those results involve the benching of a notable player to get a message through to the rest. 

The question then is, do we then crucify the coaches for pulling said player, if they lose the game?

It's not an easy problem to fix, as easy as it is to point out. And part of the challenges involves an inability to really work on it between games. 

"You have to find other ways to be creative, to create opportunities, to practice tackling," Rivera said when asked about fixing the issue in practice when contact is so limited. "It's one of the hard things that you don't get the opportunity to really do ... because of the injuries we've sustained, we've had to slow practices down and we've actually had to cut some of the periods and create a bit more walkthrough.''

You've heard the saying, 'When it rains, it pours'? Well, it's monsoon season for coach Rivera right now. 

But you've likely also heard the saying, "Attitude reflects leadership...". And this also rings true. If the organization can't get right, then coach Rivera has to be the beacon of stability and focus on the task at hand. 

He's aware of it, and says he's doing things to fix it. All we can do is trust the words, and wait to witness the results.

Rivera will get his next chance in Green Bay on Sunday.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I agree with you. It's touchy with a lot of fans, but I've argued several times over the past 10-14 years that Sean Taylor is overrated due to the circumstances and tragic nature of his murder. That isn't to say that he wasn't talented. That isn't to say that he may not have become an all-time great. But, he was 3.5 years into his career and was just coming off a pretty average year in 2006. He was playing great in 2007 and had a pretty good 2005. But, he also was a headache at times during his rookie year. He was so young, so it's completely fair to assume that he was on the right path for good. 

But the fan assumption that he was destined to be one of the greatest safeties of all-time was hyperbole at best and, more likely, a pipe dream. He would have needed to sustain the level of play we were seeing in 2007 for 6-8 more years to be in that category. And to assume that was a given is crazy. But, we tend to do that, we tend to take the small sample size that we like and project that as what will happen rather than the larger sample size we don't like. 

I'm really not trying to be harsh on Sean Taylor here, but I personally just don't consider him even a top-10 Redskin of all-time. Granted, he joined the team as I was entering my "grumpy old man" years of my late-20s. I can totally see how a younger fan at the time would be so excited about him. He was a "cool" player to have on our team. Kind of like how when I was a kid Randall Cunningham wasn't great, but I wished the Skins had him because he was so much cooler to watch than Williams or Rypien. 

But, if this thrown together distraction did rub any of the other alumni the wrong way, I can completely understand why. If Snyder is deviating from tradition and retiring numbers now, Mitchell was a great choice, but Taylor shouldn't have been next in line. It was something he thought he could use for sympathy and good will. Despicable.

• Like 1

@TD_washingtonredskins

I fully disagree with you on Sean Taylor.

I agree with you that often times fans exaggerate how good a player is or could be from a very small sample size.

But Sean Taylor had ‘It’ in spades.  Ran like a gazelle, hit like a Mack truck.  Trained maniacally.  Loved football.  It was abundantly clear in 2007 that he was a man destined for greatness.  I understand it wasn’t even a full season.  But the eye test said this was a guy who has finally come into his own, matured and has his best football in front of him.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@TD_washingtonredskins

I fully disagree with you on Sean Taylor.

I agree with you that often times fans exaggerate how good a player is or could be from a very small sample size.

But Sean Taylor had ‘It’ in spades.  Ran like a gazelle, hit like a Mack truck.  Trained maniacally.  Loved football.  It was abundantly clear in 2007 that he was a man destined for greatness.  I understand it wasn’t even a full season.  But the eye test said this was a guy who has finally come into his own, matured and has his best football in front of him.

I don't disagree that the sample size we saw in 2007, if extended over another 6-8 years, would have been a great career. But, either due to injuries, inconsistency, regression, distractions, hunger wearing off, etc. dozens of similar players don't pan out. The NFL is littered with players who flashed and then we didn't really hear from them again. It happens more often than they sustain that success over the course of a career. 

So, I agree with the assessment of 2007 and understand why people choose to keep drawing those data points of his career in an upward trajectory. I just think that's far too big an assumption to make. 

Weird request alert...but I'm trying to determine if the NY Times article about the emails mentions Allen emailing topless photos of Washington cheerleaders. I've found several articles from other sites mentioning that the NYT article says this, but haven't found where the NYT article says this. I don't have a subscription so I'm a bit limited in trying to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or screen capture from the article or copy the text? I wanted to respond to someone on Twitter that was downplaying the entire email flap but realized my response might not be accurate. So wanted to check because I realized I had only heard others talk about it, but didn't read it myself.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Weird request alert...but I'm trying to determine if the NY Times article about the emails mentions Allen emailing topless photos of Washington cheerleaders. I've found several articles from other sites mentioning that the NYT article says this, but haven't found where the NYT article says this. I don't have a subscription so I'm a bit limited in trying to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction or screen capture from the article or copy the text? I wanted to respond to someone on Twitter that was downplaying the entire email flap but realized my response might not be accurate. So wanted to check because I realized I had only heard others talk about it, but didn't read it myself.

The best website I've come across in years: https://12ft.io/

Put in the url of a paywalled article, it will get you the full article. Hasn't failed me yet.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3