Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Suggestions for New Team Name, New Logos etc. Go Here- (by member request)

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Can potato jokes a bannable offense? 

Sorry, didn't mean to offend!

OK back to seriousness, how about the Washington Hogs? That would be the only non-native american name I can think of right off the top of my head right now that also gives homage to team history and glory days.

4 hours ago, spjunkies said:

II'm leaning strong towards Mammoths, make the fur Burgundy with gold tusks. Of course you need to make it look pissed off and intimidating. 

hith-woolly_mammoth-2.jpg

As an absurdist at heart what intrigues me about this offering is building a scale model animatronic Wooly Mammoth with a control roominside the mammoths head containing a pilot and engineer. 

Have it lurch around the field creating havoc and chaos like some gigantic furry Star Wars Imperial Walker (or At-At) on the loose. 

The toy sales alone would be a windfall!

5 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

As an absurdist at heart what intrigues me about this offering is building a scale model animatronic Wooly Mammoth with a control roominside the mammoths head containing a pilot and engineer. 

Have it meander around the field creating havoc like some gigantic furry Star Wars Imperial Walker or At-At on the loose.

See you get it!

We could do something fun with it, imagine the rumblings of the Mammoths footsteps throughout the stadium before the team takes the field. 

Instead we'll do some boring **** from 1923 like Generals or Warriors. 

If you wanted to honor Native Americans I’d probably go with something like Code Talkers as the Navajo Code Talkers played a significant role in the US war effort in WW II. 

if moving away from that I might go for the Washington Apollo or Washington Airmen. I’m okay with Red Tails too. 

if going ironic, I still like the Washington Revenuers. 

And if we want a military theme, I kind of like The DC Bugles just because bugle sounds like the name of Joe Bugel. 

2 hours ago, sportsnut said:

Excluding the Chiefs, these teams are named after people but not a race of people.

Chiefs is not a race. Their imagery is Native based, but Chief in and of itself is not a race. You can also have Chief of Staff, Police Chief, or a military chief.

As others have already stated the only thing that disturbs me about this change is Snyder’s apparent desire to somehow make the new name honor native American people. This is a slippery slope. We don’t want to have to readdress this again down the road.

Just let it go. This new name needs to be a clean break from the previous one. 

The fans will get over it and it’s admittedly a big if—-BUT  IF THEY WIN NO ONE WILL REALLY CARE WHAT THE NEW NAME IS.

Oh, I’m not saying that us old timers won’t always have a nostalgic place in our hearts for the old team name but what really matters is what they did on the field and most importantly— what they do going forward regardless of what we call them.

After all both the Colts and the Ravens won championships in Baltimore and the fans continued to support them despite the new name having no connection to the past team. Perhaps we will do the same.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

No thanks, that's bizarre. Loved watching him play, missed getting to see his career every season since. He was great. But this is weird.

Edit: @bakedtater1would love it though

Ohhh yeah, weird... almost as creepy as his name tattooed on my arm..

I personally believe it's going to be the Washington Red Tails... I've seen a few are say they don't like it but I think that's what it's going to be and I like it coach kind of dropped a Hint by saying want to honor the military and with the African-American Pilots calling themselves the Red Tails I think it would fit and I guess in the DC area there's a native red tail hawk?... something mentioned about that being the logo

24 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If you wanted to honor Native Americans I’d probably go with something like Code Talkers as the Navajo Code Talkers played a significant role in the US war effort in WW II. 

if moving away from that I might go for the Washington Apollo or Washington Airmen. I’m okay with Red Tails too. 

if going ironic, I still like the Washington Revenuers. 

And if we want a military theme, I kind of like The DC Bugles just because bugle sounds like the name of Joe Bugel. 

If there must be a new name, I'm down with the Redtails too. Not because I'm black or the Tuskegee Airmen though. It lets us keep the R and its just a minor tweak to the fight song...hell! It actually makes our fight song rhyme.

23 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

As others have already stated the only thing that disturbs me about this change is Snyder’s apparent desire to somehow make the new name honor native American people. This is a slippery slope. We don’t want to have to readdress this again down the road.

Just let it go. This new name needs to be a clean break from the previous one. 

I'm just going to laugh myself silly if he goes with something like Warriors with the spear logo. No one will think it's good enough, and in a matter of months, when names like Indians, Chiefs and Braves have been addressed, Snyder will be right back in the number one spot on the enemy list. 

It would be such a typical Snyder piece of idiocy. 

1. Some kind of Red Animal-Red Wolves, Red Dragons, Red Hawks, Red Hogs

2. Red Tails-in honor of the Tuskgee Airmen but still need a lot of ok clearances for that one.

3. Warriors-Provided it has no Native American iconography. Could certainly be a generic soldier mascot with direct tie in to US Military

4. Renegades or Regulators-of that ilk.

5.Any references to D.C.-Monuments, Presidents, Memorials, Generals

6. Any indirect references to groups of people-Specific Native American Tribes...um....

I personally don’t really like red tails.  I understand the history, but it just sounds cartoonish.

My fantasy team name has been the hogs for years, but it’s not a very ferocious nfl team name.

I vote for renegades with black as the primary color and burgundy and gold highlights.

22 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm just going to laugh myself silly if he goes with something like Warriors with the spear logo. No one will think it's good enough, and in a matter of months, when names like Indians, Chiefs and Braves have been addressed, Snyder will be right back in the number one spot on the enemy list. 

It would be such a typical Snyder piece of idiocy. 

You know Rufus T. Firefly (great name choice and avatar btw) there is a part of me that fears that no matter how obvious it is that Snyder is well positioned to turn this moment into a win win that can define a new era for our team his ego will end up turning this into a cluster****.

I fear that when it’s all said and done he will only go half way and he’ll end up creating more resentment and more problems down the line.

This is not the time for a timid equivocating leader. Snyder needs to let Rivera sit this one out. Snyder is the one who should stand up, take responsibility, be humble, take his inevitable lumps from the press and, of course, some fans but most of all— he needs to  act decisively to put this issue to rest once and for all. Otherwise we might truly be doomed until we get a new owner.

”Half measures avail us nothing.”

Redtails .... great 😐

I can hear it now from opposing fans...

“That tail is even redder After we beat that ass. “

“How is that red tail feeling after that spanking. “ 

No thank you to the red tail thing 

If it is decided that it is acceptable to keep the Native American imagery but just change the name, I'd like to see the name changed to the Washington Red Cloud or Red Clouds.

Red Cloud is a very famous NA leader who defeated the U.S. Army on the field of battle, but was also respected as a diplomat. He has a town in Nebraska named after him. He was also the most photographed NA of the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cloud

If you changed the name to Red Cloud(s) you would only have to make minor changes to the logo, uniforms and fight song. There must be a profile picture of him that exists, so you could create a lifelike logo that would be very similar to what the team already has.

For years, the franchise has claimed that the name is an honorific that represents strength, bravery, tradition, etc. They could put their money where their mouth is and put a statue of Red Cloud at the (new?) stadium, along with a plaza that honors other great NA figures. That, combined with the key move of expanding the organizations' NA philanthropic efforts would show everyone that Snyder isn't just talking the talk and be a huge win for him.

You could have really cool images with that name as well. Imagine being at the stadium and the Cowboys have a key 3rd-and-one and the video boards show some threatening red clouds moving in with lightning bolts and rumbling thunder. I can almost hear Thunderstruck now.

I understand some folks believe the name can't be any relation to NA imagery at all, as this is demeaning in any form. In the scenario I describe, I just don't see it as demeaning in any way, shape or form. But I realize that's my opinion.

I'd accept Warriors, but not enthusiasticly. Red Tails would be okay. I'd pass on the Monuments, Generals, Senators, etc.

Just my 2¢.

5 minutes ago, CHRIS VITO said:

Redtails .... great 😐

I can hear it now from opposing fans...

“That tail is even redder After we beat that ass. “

“How is that red tail feeling after that spanking. “ 

No thank you to the red tail thing 

This is one recurring comment that cracks me up.

Is there a current or potential team name that can't be made fun of on some level? If so, please post it. I'm dying to hear one. 

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

This is one recurring comment that cracks me up.

Is there a current or potential team name that can't be made fun of on some level? If so, please post it. I'm dying to hear one. 

Warriors

Call it generic if you want but I call it a safe bet.  I’m tired of the endless criticism.  I want something like Eagles, Bears, Lions, Vikings.  Nobody ever has a legitimate gripe against those names.    All I want to see is winning football in the DMV again.  Warriors can be great if the logo is done correctly.  

Archived