Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Am I the only one here that actually thinks this is the correct verdict (while also thinking there were a lot of things wrong that night)?

No I agree with you. I think Rittenhouse, a minor, should not have been there with a gun to begin with, and many things leading up to the clash shows poor judgment by many people. But the verdict matches the circumstances and actions of the actual event he was being tried for. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mojo said:

I equate those lauding Rittenhouse as a hero to the people saying things like  “I’m ashamed to be white”.  
Both fringe, both idiots.

Honestly I agree with the sentiment here. Though I think one group of people is evil and the other is trying really hard to be empathetic. So I feel wrong equalizing them like that. But I understand the sentiment. 

I dont want anyone being ashamed of their race at all. It makes me uncomfortable to hear white people say that cause it takes me back to lessons my mother taught me about being proud of who I am and ended up being the foundation of my confidence. Every person deserves that kind of respect for themselves regardless of race. The sins of people who you happen to share melanin with are not yours. But I really appreciate you wanting them to be better. Really really. 

I say that and in all honestly I tend to find myself ashamed of the things my people do on a regular basis. Like, I hope we dont riot. Please. Not worth it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mojo said:

I equate those lauding Rittenhouse as a hero to the people saying things like  “I’m ashamed to be white”.  
Both fringe, both idiots.

I actually agree with this sentiment. However, the disturbing part to me is that, anecdotally at least, the first "fringe" you mention is whole lot larger than the second.

27 minutes ago, mojo said:

Edited by Heisenberg

I had a conversation with my Mom about Rittenhouse. She's upset with the verdict, but the thing that occurred to me during the conversation is that there is no way she would have ever let me go. If I had said, "Wow! Things are really violent out there I wish I could do something." My mom would never have been like, "Okay, that sounds like a good idea. Let me put you in the middle of that." Wouldn't matter if I had a gun or not. She would have been like, "No. Let's find a way to support them from here, but we're not going to cross state lines to put your life at risk."

The idea that Rittenhouse wanted to go there as a 15 year old kid because he thought it was violent and out of control and his mother apparently decided that was a great idea is just one more failure in this whole situation.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Sorry to shift gears but - just heard on WTOp and the arbery case goes to closing arguments Monday. Defense rested yesterday. 

but also….

that the guy that shot him (or the first guy that shot him, I can’t remember if two people just had guns or if two people shot him) testified that he “was not threatened by him in any way” before he shot…

like woah you just sunk your whole claim of self defense. By yourself. Wow…

(I think they’re murders but still it’s incredible when someone outs themself on their own accord…)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The idea that Rittenhouse wanted to go there as a 15 year old kid because he thought it was violent and out of control and his mother apparently decided that was a great idea is just one more failure in this whole situation.

There's plenty out there on Rittenhouse from the time he was a very young kid that shows his parents bred him to be a gun nut since he was a small child. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Naw I get that. I wasn’t clear. I was saying I don’t see the point in rioting over this verdict. To me it was obvious the moment he turned himself in what was going to happen. 

No, my thoughts ran a lot darker than that.  Wondering if the next protest will find people hunting people because they know they can get away with it by claiming self-defense.  That's pretty much what I think this kid did.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There's plenty out there on Rittenhouse from the time he was a very young kid that shows his parents bred him to be a gun nut since he was a small child. 

Which is just one more piece of common sense logic that says-- They put him in a situation so he could be violent.... that he could live out his vigilante fantasies.

The vigilante fantasies are why those on the Right try to depict this killer as a hero. At best, it should have been depicted as a tragic accident as actual acts of self defense are.

• Like 1

Just now, KAOSkins said:

Wondering if the next protest will find people hunting people because they know they can get away with it by claiming self-defense.  That's pretty much what I think this kid did.

Anyone who thinks they can walk around hunting protestors and get away with it because of this case, is an idiot. For one - that’s not what went on here. I get you and others think that - but it’s just not. 

but two - every states laws are different when it comes to guns and self defense. 

in fact I consider the idea of crossing state lines with a gun one that causes much anxiety for me. Don’t get me wrong, there’s states I frequent so knowing and staying on top of the laws is easy. 

but every other state? You’re obligated to follow and understand their laws and there is no excuse about it. And they’re subject to change on a whim. So you have to check them every time. And while Virginia is easy because the Virginia state police are responsible for running a webpage that lays it out, I have no idea what other states do. 

it’s real ballsy to just up and run into another state with a gun without understanding the laws. 

Unless you’re one of the people with a permit that allows you to carry everywhere. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Sorry to shift gears but - just heard on WTOp and the arbery case goes to closing arguments Monday. Defense rested yesterday. 

but also….

that the guy that shot him (or the first guy that shot him, I can’t remember if two people just had guns or if two people shot him) testified that he “was not threatened by him in any way” before he shot…

(I think they’re murders but still it’s incredible when someone outs themself on their own accord…)

This is really the case that has to end up guilty on all counts.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Anyone who thinks they can walk around hunting protestors and get away with it because of this case, is an idiot. For one - that’s not what went on here. I get you and others think that - but it’s just not. 

Mind you, this doesn't counter your idiot argument, but there are a hell of lot of idiots with guns and vigilante fantasies out there.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

but also….

The very proud white man aka doofus country bumpkin would have had to admit the black man made him feel threatened.  His pride overcame his better judgement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I guess there’s not a law against transporting an armed minor across state lines to a violent laden riot but there should be.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

If anyone deserves to be thrown out of office it was him. 

I don’t understand how Rittenhouse got away with nothing though. The reckless homicide charge for sure.

He didn’t try to remove himself from the situation in anyway and if he didn’t go their armed none of this would of happened. Certainly seems to be a affirmation of vigilantism.

i think he got off because the prosecutors were a bunch of bumbling idiots.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

17 minutes ago, mojo said:

I guess there’s not a law against transporting an armed minor across state lines to a violent laden riot but there should be.

The way the defense told it, the gun was already in the state at a friends house, where he was staying at the time of the event.  Clearly difficult to prove.  So technically the gun didn’t cross state lines, and a minor is allowed to carry said gun, because it’s under X inches long in said state.  Something the prosecution apparently didn’t even know because they charged him with that.

Let’s face it, there were no signs this case was going any other way than it did.  It was held in the same place the events transpired, where emotion is high, and the judges can end up being like the one they got.  I’m no legal expert but it seems the prosecution could have fought to have the venue moved.  It seems there is a ton they could have done differently but didn’t.  

36 minutes ago, mojo said:

If there is he still wouldn't be guilty.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The way the defense told it, the gun was already in the state at a friends house, where he was staying at the time of the event.  Clearly difficult to prove.  So technically the gun didn’t cross state lines, and a minor is allowed to carry said gun, because it’s under X inches long in said state.  Something the prosecution apparently didn’t even know because they charged him with that.

Let’s face it, there were no signs this case was going any other way than it did.  It was held in the same place the events transpired, where emotion is high, and the judges can end up being like the one they got.  I’m no legal expert but it seems the prosecution could have fought to have the venue moved.  It seems there is a ton they could have done differently but didn’t.  

I think the fact the jury wasn't sequestered was a safety net in case he was found guilty. How could they let these people just go home every day?? That along with whomever it was that claimed an agent told him that the jurors were fearful of backlash. The whole damn trial was DoA right from the start.

Edited by PartyPosse

1 hour ago, mojo said:

Way back in the day (50 or so years ago), there were fewer bad parents than good.  That dynamic has shifted, dramatically. 

Parents also used to be charged with the crimes their children perpetrated...made to pay fines or for property damage, etc. 

I don't even recognize part of society anymore.   Most times I choose to avoid it altogether...which sucks because I've always been such a friendly, social person. 

• Thumb up 2