Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah I just don’t think you understand the idea of precedent and self defense.

which is fine it’s not like you’re here for discussion, you’re just blowing your opinion all over the place and then declaring it doesn’t matter what your grasp of the facts are cause you’re not the legal system and you just like got your own opinion, man. 

Yep. That's me! Later, my dude.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Kyle's actions are actually the product of this verdict. The criminal system is a joke so may as well take justice into your own hands. All this does is give everyone carte blanche to arm themselves to the teeth, shoot first and cry later.

Not everyone. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

How so? Do you honestly think it would be the same outcome if he wasn't white?

If he wasnt white, he wouldn't have made it out of that night alive to begin with.  After he shoots a bunch of people, kills one, is identified as a shooter, and strolls down the middle of the street, gun dangling, a non-white person isn't making it out of that alive.  The cops basically ignored Rittenhouse like he wasn't there.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If he wasnt white, he wouldn't have made it out of that night alive to begin with.  After he shoots a bunch of people, kills one, is identified as a shooter, and strolls down the middle of the street, gun dangling, a non-white person isn't making it out of that alive.  The cops basically ignored Rittenhouse like he wasn't there.

Even if he managed to make it out alive, do you think the entire court case would have gone in the same manner? The judge would have still been super lenient? He'd be acquitted on all charges? Me thinks, no.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Am I the only one here that actually thinks this is the correct verdict (while also thinking there were a lot of things wrong that night)?

I think he was defending himself when the other guy pointed a gun at him and the one guy swung a skateboard at him. So yes I think that’s the right verdict. I’m not at all happy about it and it’s unfortunate that the trial was a **** show from start to finish with the judge and the almost all white jury. 

I don’t like the fact that he is cleared of ALL crimes. I can’t look at his actions and the results of them and think “yep, innocent. Did nothing wrong. The law worked perfectly in this case” and it’s weird to me anyone can. 

I also don’t ignore that some people (and some posters here) that are frequently on the wrong side of just about everything are happy this ended the way it did or think it was right. I can understand if others do. I don’t though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

so have we shifted our mindset that, because he was white and it possibly would have turned out differently if he weren’t, that he should have been shot or guilty based on that alone? 

if it were a black defendant, what verdict would most have wanted to see or would think should happen?  

Edited by steve09ru

1 minute ago, steve09ru said:

so have we shifted our mindset that, because he was white and it possibly would have turned out differently if he weren’t, that he should have been shot or guilty based on that alone? 

if it were a black defendant, what verdict would most have wanted to see or would think should happen?  

Guilty. 

Was that the "gotcha" moment you were looking for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The precedent and law says, if I interpret it correctly, that as long as he felt scared at the very moment he pulled the trigger, his claims of self defense are valid and this verdict is accurate interpretation of the law.  He is in no way held accountable for the many other facts of the case that I find damning.  I think this kid is responsible for those deaths, and I hope they haunt him.  I doubt they will.  I think this aspect of our laws is tantamount to authorizing vigilantism.  I wish the laws were different.  I don't think this is a moral verdict, even if it is a legal one.  

My view is that if Rittenhouse was a person of color, he would have been shot dead right there, regardless if he thought he was defending himself or not. Man of color out on a riot night openly carrying an assault rifle at the ready. Shoot first, ask questions later is the standard applied to any person of color. 

I'm disgusted. It's now open season on pretty much any person of color, or Democrat. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

The precedent and law says, if I interpret it correctly, that as long as he felt scared at the very moment he pulled the trigger, his claims of self defense are valid and this verdict is accurate interpretation of the law.

Right. But that was the exact thing they Zimmerman case hinged on. Hence the whole precedent thing being a bit 🤔

and yeah. I basically have two completely different mindsets on this case. 

1 - if you want to factor in that he chose to put himself in a dangerous situation when he didn’t need to, then he’s guilty of murder. 2 murders. And 1 attempted murder. And carrying the gun unlawfully. And being out past curfew. He’s guilty across the board. And if the jury had decided that him putting himself mattered, and ruled that way, I would be ok with it. 

2 - if you want to declare it doesn’t matter that he went there and was past curfew, then it was all self defense and at best you’ve got him in the gun possession charge. Which I’m still not sure if that was dismissed because the judge is a dope or because there was legit justification via Wisconsin law. 

and I could go either way. I would support a jury of 12 citizens in their own state deciding that either way. 

although if you put me on a jury for a self defense case where the DA/ADA stands up there and with a straight face tells me I should convict because he could have kicked him in the testicles or kneed him in the face… well you’ve lost me for good cause all you really said was you have no concept of self defense and shouldn’t even be involved in this case, much less trusted to guide me on putting someone in prison. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

But what if I'm (rightfully) scared of a 17yo putz walking around with an assault rifle in the middle of the night? Do I get to shoot them? 

Depends.

Is he standing over you pointing it at you when you're on the ground, or cracking you over the head with a skateboard ?

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Am I the only one here that actually thinks this is the correct verdict (while also thinking there were a lot of things wrong that night)?

As long as "a lot of things went wrong that night" means that he had no business being transported there by his parents, with an AR-15 to "protect" or "provide medical assistance", as he was not employed or requested to provide either 'service'.  

The entire situation is a 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' scenario for everyone involved - from Rittenhouse to the folks he killed.  The problem is the only folks who won the stupid prizes are dead and Rittenhouse is a free man and a cult hero championed by gun nuts and right wingers everywhere.

It never happens this way, so it's not even worth wishing - but sure would be nice for folks to simply go out of their way to make Rittenhouse's life a living hell from here until the day he dies vs. burn the city down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

But what if I'm (rightfully) scared of a 17yo putz walking around with an assault rifle in the middle of the night? Do I get to shoot them? 

It's a setup for more people to get shot during future riots...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb down 1

56 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yet some here will still argue the outcome wouldn't be any different if he weren't white.

It would have definitely been different, African American shoots two African Americans. Gets covered for one day on Fox News…..hardly any other networks bat an eye.

Goes to trial, found guilty, 20+ years to life.

The lack of justice exist in the media coverage also…… Many victims of crimes in the African American community and other minorities represented communities don’t get heard from unless it generates attention based ad revenue for networks.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's a setup for more people to get short during future riots...

gonna be umpa lumpas everywhere then.

Edited by ClaytoAli