Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

The argument is pointless. You need a franchise QB. NEED one. If you can get a guy you think has a legit shot at developing into one, and can get one without giving up too much, you gotta take a shot. Yes we've done a good job building this defense but the window to contend doesn't truly open up until you get long term QB figured out. Until then we're just wasting all our young guys on rookie contracts.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The argument is pointless. You need a franchise QB. NEED one. If you can get a guy you think has a legit shot at developing into one, and can get one without giving up too much, you gotta take a shot. Yes we've done a good job building this defense but the window to contend doesn't truly open up until you get long term QB figured out. Until then we're just wasting all our young guys on rookie contracts.

But do you need that future franchise QB now and waste another year of potentially having a Defense that becomes elite and carries the team with Fitzpatrick this year? i know eventually you need a young QB prospect,but giving up precious draft picks for a guy that won't even see the field this year is a waste..The Defense is so close to being dominate and i think they need to finish it before anything else.

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It would be amazing if they could pull this off while not giving away the farm and keeping most picks

W/O giving away most picks.  Like others have said a 1/3/1, I'd be good with.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe on Newsome.  Only one I've heard mention Newsome is Sheehan but seemed like speculation versus something he heard.  they have definitely been poking around on Farley according to Peter King.

Like you, I actually agree with the strategy that they seem to have which is to teem up a killer secondary with a D line.  It's actually a very PFF friendly appoach who seems obsessed with the secondary as far as a unit. 

Over time, I've learned to trust Keim the most.   He seems to think there is an emphasis on the secondary but likely in day 2 and mentioned T. Campbell and Stokes.  I started watching Campbell but haven't gotten to Stokes yet.   I am running out of time. :ols:

I know they met with Newsome virtually, but other than team interviews I get my news from you, so... lol.  Does seem like secondary is a strong possibility - either in trade back scenario or the 2nd.  Been kind of off my radar early (aside from Moehring).

Kinda closing in on Moehrig myself. His stats are sick, the WRs in division getting better, the drop-off in his position group after him is much more than OT (darrisaw surgery, jenkins a true RT, AVT possibly better at Guard) and LB.  of we could trade back a few spots and still get him, great but want him at 19 if might lose him.  

i have spoken. 🤣🤪

3 hours ago, bh32 said:

The problem is you can't guarantee any of these QB's are franchise QB's..It's alot easier to make this Defense elite..So your willing to take a chance on a QB that won't even play this year and isn't even guaranteed to be even better than what they have..? You fix what is holding this Defense back and i bet this team has way more success.

It's a lot easier to make a defense elite? Maybe, but that doesn't make those kinds of teams matter. The teams that make the final four consistently always have elite QB's, people mention the exception, this Giants team, that Bucs team, this Ravens team, that Niners team, and what every single one of those defense first w/o an elite QB have in common is not sticking around long as contenders, they fade out as quickly in a long term sense as our once every five year playoff teams have since Gibbs I ended. The only exception to that trend is the Ravens, and for all that they built in terms of defense from 1999-2020, they made it to all of two Super Bowls, while Tom Brady was taking teams to 9, While Matt Freaking Ryan and the Falcons made it to two Championship Games and 1 super bowl themselves, and had a super bowl run, plus two other 13 win seasons in 6 years. How was their defense? You look over the years you see the same methodology work, and it's the only one that works consistently, and that methodology belongs to teams built around elite QB play, and solid surrounding talent. It doesn't always work (see Stafford's Lions), but it works infinitely better than any other approach, including the defense wins championships approach which isn't even true to begin with (balance with elite QB play wins championships). I saw you mentioned the Broncos in Manning's year, that is also more evidence for my side, once Manning was gone, what were the Broncos? They went from irrelevant, to challenger of the Patriots for a good 3 straight years for the AFC crown, then Manning leaves, and their back to a bottom 10-12 team in the league for the following half decade, w/o the QB, they sink back into a bottom less pit immediately. Did Manning suck that year? Yep. But you know what matters more, the second you took him away permanently it reinforced what happens to these kinds of teams w/o QB's, they no longer could consistently contend, at all. If you want a flash in the pan w/little likely chance at actually doing anything that matters, you could go for the great D, no QB approach, and maybe you get that one flashy year. I can tell you, as a fan that's suffered through 30 years of this ----, I don't want short cuts, build it right, or blow it up, the last thing I want is yet another 1 off season like 1999, 2005, 2007, 2012, and 2015, it's a road to nowhere. 

I will say this, you have an argument if you consider success making the playoffs, winning 9 to 10 games and getting pasted as per usual in the playoffs. That could happen. However relevance? Actually mattering? That aint happening w/o a QB. There's a reason the Ravens are the only team that have managed to do it over the past thirty years really, and it's a product of fundamentally sound architecture and talent at all levels (good ownership, great front offices, great coaches, great process w/FA, Drafting and trades, great players, great consistency-we have pretty much none of that, and never will w/Snyder atop the pyramid. Snyder makes figuring out QB infinitely more important because he guarantees that consistency won't be possible long term in any other way). 

This has been a weird offseason. Without all the pre draft events it's hard to gain Intel for media members and nobody really knows what teams gonna do with players that skipped a full year of football development. I think more then ever the draft boards of teams will be very different. That makes a very fun and unpredictable draft. 

Personally I think we skip oline in the first. There is good depth and I think there will be a little run on them before our pick. That will make a premier D player drop to us. I see us pick one of these: Parsons, Horn, Moehrig or Owusu. 

--------

About the QB discussion. Elite D with Fitzpatrick won't win us the Super Bowl. We might ride into the playoffs but look at Super Bowl winning QBs. You don't win with an average one. 

I think if we get in position to draft one. You take him. Because it's just a numbers game. For every amazing QB there are also amazing failures. If you keep hitting, you might find one. Next year's QB class is really really questionable. I can give you 6 potential guys but non has star power written over him. So skipping this year, bad class next year. 2023 our D will be different because of contracts. 

Aight here’s my prediction, if 49ers pick Lance, we stay put and don’t make a move. We then draft either Jones or a LB/OT with the pick.

if the 49ers take Jones, we will move up and give up a lot to get Lance trading with probably, Carolina. 

If the 49ers throw a curveball and take fields, I could see us staying put

2 hours ago, BC-Redskins said:

It’s draft day folks !!! 👍

I hope RR goes and gets our franchise QB... I think our best chance is fields !!!

would be interested to know what the scout dept are telling Ron about this years QB’s vs next years QB’s...

I love fields. I watched him on Netflix qb1 and fell in love with him there. With that being said, I think Haskins put a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to OSU qbs 

Archived