Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Justin Fields
Ohio State · QB

Pro comparison: Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys (5 NFL seasons, 3,526.8 passing yards per year, 21.2 passing TDs per year, 8 INTs per year, 97.3 passer rating)

Prescott's NFL career began inauspiciously, in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft, but it brightened quickly, beginning with a debut season in which he won Offensive Rookie of the Year. He's tracked steadily upward since, nearly throwing for 5,000 yards in 2019, and while he was sidelined by a devastating ankle injury early in 2020, he averaged a whopping 422.5 passing yards per game in the four contests he finished. When healthy, Prescott is a strong-armed quarterback who can move the pocket and scramble for yards when needed, a top-10 QB who plays like a top-five talent for stretches.

I'm not sure what people seem to be afraid of with Fields, but to me, the Ohio State product looks like he possesses a similarly safe floor and potentially high ceiling. In fact, based on Fields' superior 40 time (4.46 to Prescott's 4.79), I like Fields' potential to actually be a better player at the NFL level. Like Prescott, Fields can run, but running ability hasn't been the primary component of his game so far -- Fields averaged 433.5 rushing yards in his two seasons playing for Ohio State, while Prescott has averaged 262.8 in the NFL after putting up 2,521 rushing yards in four years at Mississippi State. They're both aerial artists who are athletic enough to thrive in today's game.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-pro-comparisons-for-top-quarterbacks

I am officially confused. (nothing new there) -rimshot-

Anyways, here’s what I think, I think.

Number one? Up until a few minutes ago when news broke on Garopolo to N.E. I had given up hope of us trading up for a qb this year.

Number two? Uh, soon but not right now— better get me a roll of Charmin just in case.

Number three? I will be doing cart wheels IF we manage to get either Fields or Lance without paying too hefty a price tomorrow.

Number four? Tomorrow can’t come fast enough!

Number five? I am giddy with anticipation and glee.

Number six? Pass me the Charmin.

4 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I am officially confused. (nothing new there) -rimshot-

Anyways, here’s what I think, I think.

Number one? Up until a few minutes ago when news broke on Garopolo to N.E. I had given up hope of us trading up for a qb this year.

Number two? Uh, soon but not right now better get me a roll of Charmin just in case.

Number three? I will be doing cart wheels IF we manage to get either Fields or Lance without paying too hefty a price tomorrow.

Number four? Tomorrow can’t come fast enough!

Number five? I am giddy with anticipation and glee.

Number six? Pass me the Charmin.

LOL.  🤣  Your right a lot of rumors flying around.  Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.  

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Justin Fields
Ohio State · QB

Pro comparison: Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys (5 NFL seasons, 3,526.8 passing yards per year, 21.2 passing TDs per year, 8 INTs per year, 97.3 passer rating)

Prescott's NFL career began inauspiciously, in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft, but it brightened quickly, beginning with a debut season in which he won Offensive Rookie of the Year. He's tracked steadily upward since, nearly throwing for 5,000 yards in 2019, and while he was sidelined by a devastating ankle injury early in 2020, he averaged a whopping 422.5 passing yards per game in the four contests he finished. When healthy, Prescott is a strong-armed quarterback who can move the pocket and scramble for yards when needed, a top-10 QB who plays like a top-five talent for stretches.

I'm not sure what people seem to be afraid of with Fields, but to me, the Ohio State product looks like he possesses a similarly safe floor and potentially high ceiling. In fact, based on Fields' superior 40 time (4.46 to Prescott's 4.79), I like Fields' potential to actually be a better player at the NFL level. Like Prescott, Fields can run, but running ability hasn't been the primary component of his game so far -- Fields averaged 433.5 rushing yards in his two seasons playing for Ohio State, while Prescott has averaged 262.8 in the NFL after putting up 2,521 rushing yards in four years at Mississippi State. They're both aerial artists who are athletic enough to thrive in today's game.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-pro-comparisons-for-top-quarterbacks

If I knew that Fields could play at Dak's level in the NFL and be as successful as Dak I would be all over trading up but.....

Here’s my hope if we don’t trade to 7. LAC trade to 7 for Sewell or Slater. Then you have 13-14 being NFC North who won’t trade with Chicago. So we gotta hope the NFC East likes players at their spots enough to not want to trade out. But there’s a more than 50/50 chance now IMO that 2 of the 5QBs get to 10/11/12 range. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another player I've heard they like in various podcasts is Vera-Tucker.  I'd be underwhelmed if that's who they took.  Very good guard.  But how many guards do we need?  I don't buy Vera-Tucker at tackle. 

I would have been fine with AVT before they traded for Flowers. Now not so much. I think they skip IOL altogether now. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Another player I've heard they like in various podcasts is Vera-Tucker.  I'd be underwhelmed if that's who they took.  Very good guard.  But how many guards do we need?  I don't buy Vera-Tucker at tackle. 

We are in 100% agreement on this one, SIP.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've jinxed it probably now by posting this tweet but its a fun thought....

Ah, I think it ends up happening.  I'm not down on it like you and other are but it sure seems like things are swinging that way. 

38 minutes ago, RWJ said:

As if you Field fans needed more encouraging:

It’s amazing that Detroit traded away their franchise QB and still only have 6 picks this draft.

38 minutes ago, RWJ said:

As if you Field fans needed more encouraging:

It’s amazing that Detroit traded away their franchise QB and still only have 6 picks this draft.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I seem to be the highest on Moehrig, so let me try and sell it.

I really like him too KB.  I've abandoned my no safety in the first round take and I'm fine with him at 19.  We just need to come away with a good player period, I can't worry about the position.  My only hang up is I think I like Wu a little more.  But I definitely prefer Moehrig to Jamin Davis at 19.  I liked Zaven better too, but I don't think he's in the cards for us.  The lack of man coverage in his game probably ruled him out for us.  At the end of the day, you have to pick players who fit and Moehrig is a great fit.

I'm with you on all of your selling points and I think he's one of the top 20 players in the class.  He's the Thorpe winner and he doesn't require projection to see his NFL fit--he'll be good as a rookie.  I view him as the healthy, safety version of Caleb Farley and I love his versatility.  He plays the ball like an Alpha and is out there constantly "searching for his shots" to use a basketball metaphor.  Recovery speed is fine and is helped by the fact he's got great instincts for smelling a rat and sensing when that receiver is actually breaking deep through his area.  I think he's a gifted tackler too who can undercut screens and still finish the play.  He's not a big time striker admittedly, he's just good.

I think he's one of the safest picks we could make.  Him and Owusu-Koromoah are the two guys who you just know won't bust here.  Darrisaw too probably, but I'm not really expecting him to make it to 19.

Take the RBs off the board because we're not going to pick them.  How do you rank: Moehrig, Davis, Collins, Owusu-Koromoah, Newsome, Farley, Jenkins?

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me neither.  But every pundit seems to think he's even better at tackle than he was at guard.  Why are we the only ones who saw bad tackle film and think he's a bad tackle option, and that his guard film was far better?  Definitely feels like an emperor's new clothes situation.  Or maybe there is some really good film out there of him dominating at tackle that none of us saw?  We're totally missing something and I am uncomfortable not knowing what it is.

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

What would we have to give up to move to #7, SIP?

Start with the Chiefs trade up from 27 to 10.

So 19, 82 and 2021 1st would be a bit *more* than Chiefs gave up for Mahomes. 

I don’t really think we’ll have a huge bidding war but we’ll see. I think 1/3/1 gets it done or maybe 1/2/1 and getting a 3 or 4 back this year. 

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Me neither.  But every pundit seems to think he's even better at tackle than he was at guard.  Why are we the only ones who saw bad tackle film and think he's a bad tackle option, and that his guard film was far better?  Definitely feels like an emperor's new clothes situation.  Or maybe there is some really good film out there of him dominating at tackle that none of us saw?  We're totally missing something and I am uncomfortable not knowing what it is.

Yeah agree but we aren't alone as for not liking him at tackle.  But I agree the common refrain is he can play both.  Seems like the argument for the idea that he can play tackle is that statistically he didn't give up much as far as sacks and as a guard he's good at pass protection so they extrapolate that it will come together for him over time.  For me i don't care about that, you could see him struggling to contain defenders at tackle regardless of whether he gave up sacks.  And the NFL obviously won't be easier on that front than the PAC 10. 

It would be stupid to trade up and give up a bunch of picks for a player that won't even be on the field this year..The Defense needs a LB and FS to make it elite..finish the Defense and worry about QB next year.

Archived