Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

12 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I think y"all need to look at AP film from college again.  I think Harris is good but ...

:229:The Rook

Thanks, that was impressive for reference.

If you want to go down memory lane another time, check out Clinton Portis's college highlights.  That was before he bulked up to handle a Joe Gibbs workload/offense/pass blocking.  The guy was beyond explosive.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

@The Rook yes obviously AP is generational. But in a lite-version Harris seems to be tall, lean with quick feet and nice cutting ability.

I can see that. 

AP had a punishing stiff arm, shove-you-out-of-my-GD-way pile driving attack of running that few RB's have shown at that level - Brown, Campbell.

Harris reminds me of someone, but I haven't put my finger on it yet.  But not AP.  

Again, I think Harris is really good.

11 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

It is sounding like it is JOK or Jamin Davis right now.

Assuming Keim is right: JOK is strictly a WLB and that means they have to feel comfortable with Holcomb at MLB. 

I can understand the appeal. That speed behind Young would certainly be something. Covering TEs is a big deal in the league. 

I'm all-in on the best LB prospect. Think they should get another next year too, if not this two this year. 

Something that would benefit us with JOK being able to flex out to TE's.  Is that we had Kam Curl do that on occasion.  Now we can have a LB and the SS who can swap between crashing the box post-snap to backpedaling over the TE.

If Landon Collins is a linebacker.  I think we see some big nickel packages that are just odd.

Opponents go in 12 personnel (1 RB and 2 TE's).  We respond with a 4-1 + Curl/JOK/Collins + 2 CB's + a FS.  JOK's got enough quick twitch burst he can be outside the box and get into it quickly if the run is off tackle to his side.  I'd be excited to watch that on the field.  Coverage assignments vary between zone, to Curl/JOK in man on TE's, to one of them in Man, and Collins/another bracketing.

I'm still not sold it'll all work out and actually be effective.  But it does make me extremely curious.  (Rather trade down though)

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I don't think it happens though. You can maybe only move back 7 or 8 spots to acquire one of these two I think. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be at 19 that someone would want to trade up for. 

We make the dumbest decisions when we trade back.

Remember in 2014 when we traded back with Dallas in the 2nd round and they took DeMarcus Lawrence at our pick and we took Trent Murphy? A far less superior player at nearly the same position, we should have just taken Lawrence lol. 

Yeah, it takes two, and the odds rn are against it.  I see it more as a slight trade down with a Colts for example.  However, I could also see a Tampa being super aggressive to get another piece for their imminent run. So I think if we did, it would be either very little 3 spots or significant 10+...You'd just have to open up the possibilities on players. Maybe add a Leatherwood or Cosmi or Collins or Moore.  Lots of uncertainty in this draft.  We'll probably see some complete head scratchers no one saw coming, so I'm expecting the unexpected.

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Yeah, it takes two, and the odds rn are against it.  I see it more as a slight trade down with a Colts for example.  However, I could also see a Tampa being super aggressive to get another piece for their imminent run. So I think if we did, it would be either very little 3 spots or significant 10+...You'd just have to open up the possibilities on players. Maybe add a Leatherwood or Cosmi or Collins or Moore.  Lots of uncertainty in this draft.  We'll probably see some complete head scratchers no one saw coming, so I'm expecting the unexpected.

See those guys I don't really view as blue chippers. To me, they'll fall into the solid category in the NFL, and we have a ton of those solid types of guys. We need star players, I dont really view Davis as a blue-chip player either, but Moehrig is literally the best at his position in the class and I don't think it's that close. Why pass on that guy for a solid player? You've gotta be careful with trade-backs, they are good for teams with a ton of holes but I don't think that's us anymore. Like I said, if Moehrig was there, absolutely. 

With the Flowers trade today I wonder if we are gonna go draft Etienne the Clemson RB at #19?  RR had McCaffery as a bell cow, do it all, back and i wonder if he feels he can use Gibson in other ways rather than as a workhorse back? Etienne, Gibson, Samuel, Terry Mac and Thomas is pretty good....lots of matchup problems if we do something like this. Etienne and Gibson would share the ball carrying and both catch a lot of balls too. SF has an offense like this the way they use Samuel and the other kid they drafted last year....WR's who carry the ball and are physical matchup problems for defenses. Think about it, having multiple swiss army knife type players will take pressure off of the QB to carry the load....

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

With the Flowers trade today I wonder if we are gonna go draft Etienne the Clemson RB at #19?  RR had McCaffery as a bell cow, do it all, back and i wonder if he feels he can use Gibson in other ways rather than as a workhorse back? Etienne, Gibson, Samuel, Terry Mac and Thomas is pretty good....lots of matchup problems if we do something like this. Etienne and Gibson would share the ball carrying and both catch a lot of balls too. SF has an offense like this the way they use Samuel and the other kid they drafted last year....WR's who carry the ball and are physical matchup problems for defenses. Think about it, having multiple swiss army knife type players will take pressure off of the QB to carry the load....

I think Harris is a better pairing with Gibson but at this point I think we’ve been linked to everyone in the draft so why not?  Lol

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I believe his plan is to take OT and LB  as most have said in the first 2 rounds.  

17 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I can see that. 

AP had a punishing stiff arm, shove-you-out-of-my-GD-way pile driving attack of running that few RB's have shown at that level - Brown, Campbell.

Harris reminds me of someone, but I haven't put my finger on it yet.  But not AP.  

Beast Mode....that's Harris for me.

23 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Its possible. Rivera had Jonathan Stewart/Deangelo Williams pairing in Carolina running roughshod over teams.  But is it the best usage of resources? Does a RB who will likely split carries help us as much as a potential long term starting LT or OLB?

If we go RB I'd rather take Harris since Etienne is kind of redundant with Gibson's skill set.

Just a reminder that Washington hasn't taken a running back in the first round since 1967 (Ray McDonald). That was mere months after Super Bowl I. It's been 53 years and no other first round RBs. In fact, only four second round picks in that time, which are: Derrius Guice (pick 59), Ladell Betts (pick 56), Reggie Brooks (Pick 45) and Richard Williams (Pick 56). And three of them barely scraped into Round 2. There's been no running backs drafted by Washington in the first 44 picks in the last 50 years! It's just amazing to me how little the team has invested at the position. I don't think any other franchise even comes close to this. If there's one thing to expect with Washington, it's that it'll never get a name running back in the draft.

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

See those guys I don't really view as blue chippers. To me, they'll fall into the solid category in the NFL, and we have a ton of those solid types of guys. We need star players, I dont really view Davis as a blue-chip player either, but Moehrig is literally the best at his position in the class and I don't think it's that close. Why pass on that guy for a solid player? You've gotta be careful with trade-backs, they are good for teams with a ton of holes but I don't think that's us anymore. Like I said, if Moehrig was there, absolutely. 

For sure, I don't disagree, we are right there on that cusp at 19. Most teams have around 22-17 players with a 1st round grade and some of them less.  

It all depends how our FO feels and where those grades fall for us.

Moehrig is fluid, rangy, really good at a position of dire need for a min.  I've mentioned him as a don't be shocked it's him at 19. 

But it all depends on what can be had later relative to the cost of a first and who else is available.

If I was Ron and these were my choices I would lean heavily on JDR, which I"m sure he is.  Outside of Tackle,  If Ron and JDR have a clear solid vision for any of these defensive guys (JOK, Parsons, Davis, Moehrig and even an Zaven (who has scared off everyone with his weight) I would be stoked. Corner provides another outlet if a Newsome is still there or any of the top 3.  But who knows? I know I don't. I wouldn't be shocked if Davonta Smith is sitting at 19 making this hemming and hawing all moot, lol.

Kellen Mond meets virtually all of Bill Parcell's criteria ; Parcells' checklist for what to look for in a college quarterback in order to be draft-worthy was :

A 3-year starter - CHECK

Graduating senior  - CHECK

A “winner” with at least 23 wins (out of at least 30 starts). -  CHECK (Won 30, Lost 12)

A 2:1 TD to INT ratio - CHECK ( 71 TD's, 27 INT's)

At least 60% completion AAALMOST CHECK - 59%...(but his Passer Rating was 132)

Keep in mind, everything above include all his starts, even as a Freshman.

Could we land him in the 2nd ?

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Thanks, that was impressive for reference.

If you want to go down memory lane another time, check out Clinton Portis's college highlights.  That was before he bulked up to handle a Joe Gibbs workload/offense/pass blocking.  The guy was beyond explosive.

Woo that was fun. Thanks for the recommendation. 

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

I can see that. 

This guy said Matt Forte. I think that’s a good comp. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/scouting-najee-harris-alabama-rb-reminiscent-of-matt-forte

@RWJGoogle machine says:

How to watch the 2021 NFL Draft

Where can you go to tune in? Below is another rundown of the schedule, plus TV and streaming options:

Thursday, April 29

Round: 1
Start time: 8 p.m. ET
TV: ABC, ESPN, NFL Network
Stream: fuboTV (try for free), NFL app, ESPN app

Friday, April 30

Rounds: 2-3
Start time: 7 p.m. ET

Saturday, May 1

Rounds: 4-7
Start time: 12 p.m. ET

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/when-is-the-2021-nfl-draft-date-time-streaming-tv-schedule-mock-drafts-live-coverage/

SF controls the draft.

Whatever they do shifts the whole thing.

If its Jones you got Fields and Lance still on the board. Cincy and Miami likely stand pat but who the hell knows. 

If WFT can trade to 7 we get our pick of the two and I like both of them. A lot. But Fields more. 

If Fields or Lance go 3 I think you can see Cincy or Miami move in a desperation trade for a team to get the other of the two. In this scenario I don’t see Jones falling below 15.

But this changes dynamics and selections everywhere. 

I think at minimum Miami and LAC are taking tackles.

Cincy could but I think they go Chase to do the whole Burrow to Chase thing. 

Dallas probably goes Parsons. 

Farley, Rousseau, Phillips are likely tumblers. 

I think Barmore goes earlier than people think. 

I could see someone taking JOK early. 

Buffalo will move up for Etienne or Harris if they have to. Probably ahead of Pittsburgh if only one is left. 

I’ll do a mock draft tomorrow AM. But current thoughts.

Keim with his last podcast before the draft

A.  Said he knows they definitely like Koramoah and see him as a fit for this defense.  He's definitely under strong consideration if he's there at 19. 

B.  Insinuated they liked Darrisaw because he mentioned that in context of why he took Koramoah in yesterdays televised mock draft

C. they would also possibily like to trade down

D.  If they trade down they like Jamin Davis or Trevon Moehrig in a trade down

E.  There are LBS and safeties they also like on day 2

F.  They would like a corner, and maybe in the 2nd round-3rd round. He mentioned the Georgia corners.  Campbell/Stokes

G.  They like a safety possibly in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Mentioned Andre Cisco.

H.  If they trade up for a QB, it would likely be Fields

I.  Hears NE and Chicago is more hot for Mills than the WFT.  So isn't convinced that its as hot a target for WFT

J.  He hears Trask if its after the first round.  

K. they aren't going to force it at QB, it has to flow with the board

L.  He said he's not heard this from a source but his own personal speculation is maybe Scherff is used as weapon in a trade on draft day.  Saying Scherff has turned down their contract offers.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

K.  He said he's not heard this from a source but his own personal speculation is maybe Scherff is used as weapon in a trade on draft day.  Saying Scherff has turned down their contract offers.

I was thinking about that this morning. In some respects, the sudden trade for Flowers almost feels like the simultaneous trade of Williams and pick of Charles. I wonder if the front office is really frustrated with Scherrf and his side's inability to work out a LTD two years in a row. Having to franchise a guard twice is kind of nuts.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

L.  He said he's not heard this from a source but his own personal speculation is maybe Scherff is used as weapon in a trade on draft day.  Saying Scherff has turned down their contract offers.

If that's the case I'm wondering if there is a little bad blood there?

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Kellen Mond meets virtually all of Bill Parcell's criteria ; Parcells' checklist for what to look for in a college quarterback in order to be draft-worthy was :

A 3-year starter - CHECK

Graduating senior  - CHECK

A “winner” with at least 23 wins (out of at least 30 starts). -  CHECK (Won 30, Lost 12)

A 2:1 TD to INT ratio - CHECK ( 71 TD's, 27 INT's)

At least 60% completion AAALMOST CHECK - 59%...(but his Passer Rating was 132)

Keep in mind, everything above include all his starts, even as a Freshman.

Could we land him in the 2nd ?

As I read this I thought for sure you were going to say will the Pats grab him at the end of the first or early second if they can't grab one of the top tier options.

I really do not like any QB in the second round for WFT. If they do take one they have miserably failed the BPA theme.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  Said he knows they definitely like Koramoah and see him as a fit for this defense

B.  Insinuated they liked Darrisaw because he mentioned that in context of why he took Koramoah in yesterdays televised mock draft

C. they would also possibility like to trade down

D.  If they trade down they like Jamin Daivs or Trevon Moehrig in a trade down

E.  They would like a corner, and maybe in the 2nd round-3rd round. He mentioned the Georgia corners.  Campbell/Stokes

F.  They like a safety possibly in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Mentioned Cisco.

G.  If they trade up for a QB, it would likely be Fields

H.  Hears NE and Chicago is more hot for Mills than the WFT.  So isn't convinced that its as hot a target for WFT

I.  He hears Trask if its after the first round.  

J. they aren't going to force it at QB, it has to flow with the board

K.  He said he's not heard this from a source but his own personal speculation is maybe Scherff is used as weapon in a trade on draft day.  Saying Scherff has turned down their contract offers.

Basically all stuff we’ve put together.

JOK is a great fit as a hybrid. I see it. I worry about some of his run fits and control on pressures but he is a playmaker out there and is solid in coverage. Like I’ve said... I’d be disappointed but I’d be fine with it because I know how good he is. If they have info where he can play inside and we see that develop I’ll be 100% in on him.

But I’m starting to really feel like I’m going to be disappointed if we don’t trade up for Fields or Lance but mostly Fields. I never really thought it was realistic. 

Obviously it all has to play out and may turn out to be impossible by the way the board falls.

I love a bunch of the safeties. Sterns (I watched the Fields/Lawrence Elite thing last night on NFL Network and I would have sworn I heard the announcer say “and Lawrence is picked off by Caden Sterns”), Moehrig, Cisco, Holland, even Ford.

Lots of CBs I like. If Horn is there at 19 he’s a tough pass. 

Smith and Harris are still on my radar. 

Tough to project how I’m gonna feel until it happens :ols:

Archived