Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think they're going LB in the first round.  And I think they're going to be willing to trade up (slightly) to do it. 

I think the QB stuff is all a smoke screen.  

Ron also came out recently and said that he was impressed by John Bostic and how he grew towards the end of the season.  

Rule #1 of listening to coaches near the draft: Take whatever they say, and believe the opposite.  I think they're trying to be coy about it, but I think they know their biggest weakness on the team is LB, they didn't sign a solution in FA, so the solution has to come in the draft.  

If I had to guess, it's JEREMIAH OWUSU-KORAMOAH, NOTRE DAME.  (Yes, I copied/pasted that because there's no way I can spell it.)  JOK has the physical skills, and there are some very serious character accusations on Parsons.  So, unless all of those are false, I'm guessing Ron and company would pass on him, or at least not be willing to trade up far enough to pick a guy with those kinds of character concerns.

So that's my 1st round shot: I think WFT trades up, probably with the Chargers at 13, to pick JOK. Lock in in, That's my final answer.  

Love Koramoah, I've posted a lot on him in recent weeks.  But if they trade up for him, I won't be happy unless its a really small trade.  There is a good chance he will be there at 19. 

Pick

Team Player Pos School Trade Details
1 JAX Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson  
2 NYJ Zach Wilson QB BYU  
3 SF Mac Jones QB Alabama  
4 ATL Trey Lance QB NDSU  
5 CIN Jamar Chase WR LSU  
6 MIA Penei Sewell OT Oregon  
7 DAL Kyle Pitts TE Florida DAL sends 1(10) and 3(75), 4(115) to DET for 1(7)
8 CAR Rashawn Slater OT Northwestern  
9 DEN Micah Parsons LB Penn State  
10 WFT Justin Fields QB Ohio State WFT sends 1(19), 3(82), 2022 3rd to DET for 1(10)
11 NYG Jaylen Waddle WR Alabama  
12 PHI Patrick Surtain CB Alabama  
13 LAC Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech  
14 MIA Devonta Smith WR Alabama MIA sends 1(18), 2(50) to MIN for 1(14), 3(90), 4(119)
15 NE Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina  
16 ARI Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech  
17 LV Christian Barmore DT Alabama  
18 MIN Alijah Vera-Tucker G USC  
19 DET Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma State  
20 CHI Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame  
21 IND Alex Leatherwood OT Alabama  
22 TEN Elijah Moore WR Ole Miss  
23 NYJ Jaelan Phillips DE Miami  
24 PIT Najee Harris RB Alabama  
25 NYJ Travis Etienne RB Clemson NYJ send 2(36), 3(86) to JAX for 1(25)
26 CLE J. Owunu-Koromah LB Notre Dame  
27 BAL Azeez Ojulari DE Georgia  
28 NO Zaven Collins LB Tulsa  
29 GB Rashod Bateman WR Minnesota  
30 BUF Greg Newsome II CB Northwestern  
31 BAL Kadarius Toney WR Florida  
32 NE Davis Mills QB Stanford NE sends 2(46) and a 2022 2nd round pick to TB for 1(32)

So with the coaches asking Landon Collins to do more a hybrid safety/linebacker role.  And Kamren Curl being a quality Big Nickel hybrid.  Where does Koramoah fit in?  Who gets what playing time?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oh interesting.  Commonality there is ability to do a variety of coverage tasks.  Screams trade down as most of those guys value is not at 19.  But if they can't get a trade back partner...?

With a clear desire for LB's that can handle more coverage assignments, letting Darby walk and bringing in William Jackson fits more versatility.  I'm betting the team likes Horn more than Surtain.  I'm struggling to find a spot for Landon Collins.  He doesn't fit this, unless he's dropping to Zone from a hybrid LB role.  He'd probably fulfill a MLB's zone responsibilities well...but he can't flex out to a TE in the slot and man up.

His contract can't be moved unless it's June 1, and that saves almost 0 dollars.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Pick

Team Player Pos School Trade Details
1 JAX Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson  
2 NYJ Zach Wilson QB BYU  
3 SF Mac Jones QB Alabama  
4 ATL Trey Lance QB NDSU  
5 CIN Jamar Chase WR LSU  
6 MIA Penei Sewell OT Oregon  
7 DAL Kyle Pitts TE Florida DAL sends 1(10) and 3(75), 4(115) to DET for 1(7)
8 CAR Rashawn Slater OT Northwestern  
9 DEN Micah Parsons LB Penn State  
10 WFT Justin Fields QB Ohio State WFT sends 1(19), 3(82), 2022 3rd to DET for 1(10)
11 NYG Jaylen Waddle WR Alabama  
12 PHI Patrick Surtain CB Alabama  
13 LAC Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech  
14 MIA Devonta Smith WR Alabama MIA sends 1(18), 2(50) to MIN for 1(14), 3(90), 4(119)
15 NE Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina  
16 ARI Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech  
17 LV Christian Barmore DT Alabama  
18 MIN Alijah Vera-Tucker G USC  
19 DET Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma State  
20 CHI Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame  
21 IND Alex Leatherwood OT Alabama  
22 TEN Elijah Moore WR Ole Miss  
23 NYJ Jaelan Phillips DE Miami  
24 PIT Najee Harris RB Alabama  
25 NYJ Travis Etienne RB Clemson NYJ send 2(36), 3(86) to JAX for 1(25)
26 CLE J. Owunu-Koromah LB Notre Dame  
27 BAL Azeez Ojulari DE Georgia  
28 NO Zaven Collins LB Tulsa  
29 GB Rashod Bateman WR Minnesota  
30 BUF Greg Newsome II CB Northwestern  
31 BAL Kadarius Toney WR Florida  
32 NE Davis Mills QB Stanford NE sends 2(46) and a 2022 2nd round pick to TB for 1(32)

6 QB's, 7 OL, and 7 WR's!  (if we count Pitts as a big slot).  That's 20 of 32 draft picks from just 3 position groups!

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So with the coaches asking Landon Collins to do more a hybrid safety/linebacker role.  And Kamren Curl being a quality Big Nickel hybrid.  Where does Koramoah fit in?  Who gets what playing time?

Oh interesting.  Commonality there is ability to do a variety of coverage tasks.  Screams trade down as most of those guys value is not at 19.  But if they can't get a trade back partner...?

With a clear desire for LB's that can handle more coverage assignments, letting Darby walk and bringing in William Jackson fits more versatility.  I'm betting the team likes Horn more than Surtain.  I'm struggling to find a spot for Landon Collins.  He doesn't fit this, unless he's dropping to Zone from a hybrid LB role.  He'd probably fulfill a MLB's zone responsibilities well...but he can't flex out to a TE in the slot and man up.

His contract can't be moved unless it's June 1, and that saves almost 0 dollars.

6 QB's, 7 OL, and 7 WR's!  (if we count Pitts as a big slot).  That's 20 of 32 draft picks from just 3 position groups!

Damn! I spent most of the day fine tuning this mock draft and ... you just debunked it. Ugh. Welp, maybe it happens? haha

Keim flat out addressed the point about Landon Collins and how he wondered if JOK is a fit with him and Curl on the same team.  He poked around and found out that yeah they do like Koramoah, he is a strong consideration at 19.  And he does fit even with Curl/Collins in the fold.

Collins at big nickle would be interesting.  But the dude is really known for being a run stopper and being "meh" to in coverage at best.  Koramoah is far from meh in coverage. 

23 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

don't know how Del Rio makes it fit.  But I trust Keim more than most and he said they really like JOK and see a fit.  So I gather he has a plan.  It doesn't matter if we here have a vision for it.  If he has a vision for it, that's enough for me.

23 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Judging by podcasts, I think they'd like to trade down.  But if stuck at 19, doesn't sound like they would see JOK as a reach.  Judging by mocks JOK is also no reach at that spot.  As for Moehrig, sounds like that's a want in a trade down.  I gather the same about Jamin Davis but I don't know.  Davis and Moehrig are on occasion in the top 19 in some mocks. 

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What I wouldn't give to somehow turn #19 into two 2nd's.  Or trading Scherff for a 2nd (and the ensuing extra 18 million in cap room).

If Terrace Marshall falls to 51, it's going to be hard to say no to that.

I'll pass on #19 for two 2nd's, but putting Scherff up for sale on draft night would be a good idea IMO. 

McShay with his final big board, here's some of it

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31338974/nfl-draft-2021-rankings-todd-mcshay-final-top-350-prospects-plus-grades-position-ranks

12. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame (Grade: 91)

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 221 | Highlights

Owusu-Koramoah is what the NFL is looking for in a defender because of his exceptional versatility. He's an undersized but instinctive and fast WLB who can play the overhang position. He shows very good recognition skills and always seems to be around the ball. He needs to get bigger and stronger, but Owusu-Koramoah is fluid, smooth and fast in coverage. He has also flashed the ability to pressure quarterbacks and get home with speed and suddenness.

30.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

13. Alijah Vera-Tucker, G, USC (Grade: 91)

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 308 | Highlights

Vera-Tucker gets into sound initial position and gets movement at the point of attack in the run game. He gets top-heavy and falls off some blocks late, but he takes sound angles climbing to the second level. He's smooth getting set and has above-average body control for his size in pass pro. He has a strong punch, tends to get his hands inside and anchors well. Vera-Tucker is a better fit at guard than tackle but could provide depth outside in the NFL.

2579.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

14. Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina (Grade: 91)

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 205 | Highlights

Horn has the size, speed, toughness and length to develop into a very good press corner. He makes it tough for receivers to get off the line and into routes. He's a little tight, and he gets grabby at times. He's more effective matching up with slot receivers than most corners with his size. Horn flashes solid instincts and tracks the ball well, and he's competitive in 50-50 situations. And he's a threat blitzing off the edge.

333.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

15. Mac Jones, QB, Alabama (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 217 | Highlights

His pocket presence and ability to maneuver within the pocket really stand out on tape. Jones has shown high-level ball placement on short to intermediate throws and has very good timing and anticipation. He processes things quickly and has outstanding football sense, and he consistently displays the ability to lead receivers to yards after the catch. Jones also understands trajectory and can layer the ball between defenders. But he has a tendency to underthrow the deep ball, and he is not much of a threat as a runner.

213.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

16. Micah Parsons, ILB, Penn State (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 246 | Highlights

Parsons is a very good tackler with excellent range. He's a disruptive interior run defender with the burst to shoot gaps and the ability to quickly slip blocks. There's room for improvement when it comes to getting off blocks, but he has good size and balance. He's a dynamic third-down player who covers ground in zone and has solid man cover traits. He flashes as a hands fighter and has the closing burst to get to the quarterback rushing off the edge and between the tackles.

2628.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 202 | Highlights

Moehrig is an explosive playmaker who shows good burst breaking on the ball and good timing breaking up passes. Moehrig has good recovery speed and flashes the ability to locate the ball and finish with an interception once he gets back in phase. He has good range in run support and is an above-average open-field tackler.

130.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 261 | Highlights

Paye has an extremely high ceiling. He has fast eyes and explosive closing speed in pursuit. He needs to make strides as a hands fighter, but Paye flashes the ability to slip blocks and make plays in the backfield. He has above-average range and presents good versatility; he kicks inside to rush the passer, and he's a 3-4 OLB candidate.

259.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 197 | Highlights

Farley possesses a rare blend of size, length, top-end speed and burst. His ball skills are elite, as he tracks the ball extremely well and has natural instincts when it comes to getting into phase and getting his head turned around at the right time. He reads receivers and is a playmaker. His recognition skills could improve with more experience, and he's a bit of a buffet tackler.

259.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

20. Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 322 | Highlights

Darrisaw is an excellent zone blocker when his technique is sound. He's smooth climbing and has the powerful punch to knock defenders off course when he gets into space, but he doesn't always finish like he's capable of finishing. He's smooth getting set and flashes good change of direction in pass pro. He has the length to ride speed rushers past the quarterback, and he bends well enough to hold his ground against power. But Darrisaw stops moving his feet and occasionally lunges at the top of his set.

2390.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 260 | Highlights

Phillips is powerful and does an excellent job of working through contact because of his long arms, heavy hands and body control. He also excelled when reduced to defensive tackle on obvious pass downs. As a run defender, he has the length and strength to set the edge, though he needs to play with better leverage.

228.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson (Grade: 90)

Height: 5-10 | Weight: 215 | Highlights

The combination of initial burst and straight-line acceleration is his strongest trait, as he shows an explosive second gear when he hits daylight on the second level. Etienne is a home-run hitter in space. He is a decisive runner, especially between the tackles, and has solid contact balance.

145.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

23. Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss (Grade: 90)

Height: 5-10 | Weight: 178 | Highlights

Moore is an undersized slot receiver who reads coverages well and excels at attacking the middle of the field against zone looks. He flashes as a route runner and has the ability to separate from man. He's a hands catcher who plucks the ball out of the air, and his burst and elusiveness make him a threat after the catch. But Moore is not as dangerous downfield.

77.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

24. Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 192 | Highlights

Newsome is a scheme-versatile corner with a rare blend of length, agility and top-end speed. He has all the tools to develop into an effective press corner in the NFL, including balance and fluidity. He does an above-average job of recovering when he gets caught out of position, but he gets too grabby and physical at times. He plays through the receiver's hands and rips the ball out.

25. Jamin Davis, ILB, Kentucky (Grade: 90)

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 234 | Highlights

Davis is a long-levered and somewhat lean off-the-ball linebacker with very good speed and overall movement skills. He's a downhill run defender with a very good closing burst, showing balance and short-area quickness. He can get pushed around on occasion when reached but uses his long arms and quick feet to keep off most blocks. And he is a very reliable tackler in space. Davis is still developing recognition skills in coverage.

197.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

26. Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State (Grade: 89)

Height: 6-7 | Weight: 320 | Highlights

Jenkins started mostly at right tackle but also started six times at left tackle and twice at right guard. He is a big, powerful tackle who has a wide frame to cover up defenders and consistently drives defenders off the line of scrimmage. He has solid range and shows good body control as a second-level blocker. Jenkins lacks ideal mirror-and-slide agility, but he is smooth getting set in pass pro and plays with excellent balance. He tends to hold his ground effectively against power rushers.

202.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

27. Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa (Grade: 89)

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 260 | Highlights

Collins is a dynamic and versatile linebacker with a nice blend of size and top-end speed. He's tall enough to see into the backfield and track the ball, and he's quick enough to shoot gaps. He has the strength to hold his ground at the point of attack, does a good job of getting off blocks and is a heavy hitter. Collins reads the quarterback and has excellent ball skills. And he has the burst and power to make an impact as a pass-rusher. He can play inside or outside linebacker regardless of the front.

333.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

28. Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (Grade: 89)

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 232 | Highlights

Harris has excellent size and decent top-end speed. He was a much more decisive runner as a senior, showing oily hips for a big back and playing light on his feet. He gets in and out of breaks quickly, has excellent ball security and is a slippery runner between the tackles, but he has acceleration limitations. As a pass-catcher, Harris has a big catch radius.

53 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Yep, unless blue chip CB slips or we trade up for QB.

There really isn't a blue chip corner this year.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So we're getting Flowers for 3 million this year?? Why wouldn't Miami just keep him to be honest?

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

So we're getting Flowers for 3 million this year?? Why wouldn't Miami just keep him to be honest?

they got two young guards.  I gather they wanted ther cap room and didn't want to pay a backup that much. 

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

It seems like every mid round gem we discuss in this thread has somehow risen to a 1st or 2nd round grade.

Yeah it reminds me of the draft special Jon Gruden did with Kiper years back where Gruden joked with Kiper that Kiper seems to have 50 players going in the 2nd round. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

they got two young guards.  I gather they wanted ther cap room and didn't want to pay a backup that much. 

That's such a risky proposition especially if they're in full on evaluation mode on Tua. Kindley or Deiter falter and they're screwed. I wonder if they plan on drafting AVT if he falls to their second 1st rounder.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think Horn is.  He's someone I don't want our division rivals to draft.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah I'm not getting it.  Also not getting why nobody else would do that trade, I mean...lots of OL needy teams out there.

I think I’d be slightly frustrated with JOK as the pick but I’d be open to his ability to grow as the Team gets to know him and find his true fit (safety or ILB or hybrid).

He has talent so at least I’d be happy with us getting a good player but... I think I’d be pretty disappointed in that pick. Then again... come draft night? Who knows.

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think Horn is.  He's someone I don't want our division rivals to draft.

Everything I've heard on Horn is he's way too physical to thrive. He's a late hit penalty waiting to happen every game. He's got tools, but everyone I've read or spoken to sees him as crashing and burning in the NFL. 

Archived