Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

17 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Got the house on lockdown. What is anyone/everyone doing about getting their mail? Wiping down the envelopes? Using gloves? 

I haven’t implemented this yet, but plan on doing so soon. 

We are going to the mailbox every other day.  The mail is then sitting untouched for 2 days.  We also wash our hands every time we come inside from outside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, gbear said:

We are going to the mailbox every other day.  The mail is then sitting untouched for 2 days.  We also wash our hands every time we come inside from outside. 

leaving it in the sun or under a uv lamp will kill it,.

i'd imagine steaming it would as well

Work started mandatory WFH last Thursday.  Which is great, except for a boss who hates WFH is having daily check in meetings.  "what you do today?" ...when it's asked it takes a lot of energy to not say "My job" and move on.  

Did the only activity Sunday that you can socially distance and still do - golf, but it appears that golf courses are closing most likely for perception.  outside of that, a walk or jog outside and the rest of the time inside.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Got the house on lockdown. What is anyone/everyone doing about getting their mail? Wiping down the envelopes? Using gloves? 

I haven’t implemented this yet, but plan on doing so soon. 

Groceries are obtained by online ordering/curbside pickup only. Cold items are brought indoors and wiped down with a clorox wipe before they are put away. Non refrigerated items are left in the car for 24 hours. 

We have the same system for mail and packages as you. They stay outside for 24 hours. We’ll go to the mailbox shortly before the new mail arrives so that will generally have been sitting there for nearly 24 hours. 

I’ve been irritated that I’ve also needed to step foot in a restaurant yesterday for a carry out order (thankfully the place was deserted) and also dropped my car off for an inspection this morning. Again no time spent in close proximity to other people and I hand sanitized aggressively as soon as I left. 

I also let my wife know that we can choose to either delay how long it takes for us to get it OR potentially avoid it altogether depending fully of how stringent we are willing to be with the steps we take to avoid other people. Meaning we will tell our parents they aren’t allowed for the next few months. We’ll miss birthdays. We’ll miss holidays. We’ll probably even miss funerals. She started crying. But I think she’s mentally ready for this... at least for now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It turns out people are not super receptive to the feedback of “this is why I asked you test things out last week before you had to work from home, so that when you did and had important work to do you knew it would work and all the little issues would be resolved beforehand”

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I haven’t left the house since Thursday. I have a pool and decent sized yard so it’s not a cramped situation but I have not left to go anywhere. I heated the pool and bought a bounce house on amazon for the kids anticipating this. So far it’s been decent. But I have been going through my bourbon supply much faster than I anticipated. 

I don’t think I’m leaving until the vaccine. I work from home so as long as my job doesn’t go under I think I can pull it off. We will see. It’s not a week yet and seems much longer...

how much are you drinking every day? I’m not judging but maybe reflect if you are having a few drinks daily

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

It turns out people are not super receptive to the feedback of “this is why I asked you test things out last week before you had to work from home, so that when you did and had important work to do you knew it would work and all the little issues would be resolved beforehand”

I agree, we had workshops and mandatory remote days to test for this, I got the last pair of headphones in the building (to replacing damaged ones I had at home) in person over a week ago, help desk words, not mine.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

On my way to work this morning I passed several grocery stores. The lots were full at 0630.

Hope these ****ers get done disrupting the supply/demand chain soon.

Yeah, went to the grocery store late last night when I figured it would be less crowded (and it was).  I was able to get most of the stuff I wanted with the exception of paper towels and grapefruit juice.  The paper aisle was emptied, as was the bread aisle (although notably I was able to get bread in the bakery section; I guess people prefer processed).  Most of the meat was gone, although I was able to get the last corned beef and some ground beef.  Almost no canned soup was left.  It is always interesting to see the flavors that people don't like and still remain.  All the frozen vegetables were gone.

• Like 1

I do a lot of computationally intensive modeling work and recently got an Alienware laptop for work that is decked out with an NVidia RTX GPU and an i9-9900 intel cpu. Loaded up some of my PC game backlog on it. 

Running AC Origins and The Division 2 maxed out on ultra settings... It was so beautiful I felt guilty about using it for gaming and just shut it down. Might be staying up late tonight however...

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, purbeast said:

I have an arcade game project I want to work on this week but I need to go to Home Depot to get a 4x8 of particle board to build a shelf in my cabinet.  I don't have any means to get it home though and don't want to borrow my brothers truck or moms van so not sure if I will do that.  I do have a few Switch games to finish so I will probably be doing a lot of gaming when at home.

Home depot will usually cut it down for you to a manageable size.  I can fit sheets of plywood or particleboard cut down to around 3'x6' in my midsized car if I fold all the seats down.  I do some woodworking for a hobby, and I have been able get by without a pickup so far.  

1 minute ago, Nerm said:

Home depot will usually cut it down for you to a manageable size.  I can fit sheets of plywood or particleboard cut down to around 3'x6' in my midsized car if I fold all the seats down.  I do some woodworking for a hobby, and I have been able get by without a pickup so far.  

I have an Infiniti G37S 2 door coupe, with a car seat in the back, so not much can fit in there lol.  But I also have some specific sizes I need cut and I don't know if they could cut all of the pieces for me.  If that was the case, I could get it in there.  But I would consider they are considered "precision cuts" since I need quite a few of them.

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I have an Infiniti G37S 2 door coupe, with a car seat in the back, so not much can fit in there lol.  But I also have some specific sizes I need cut and I don't know if they could cut all of the pieces for me.  If that was the case, I could get it in there.  But I would consider they are considered "precision cuts" since I need quite a few of them.

Officially, I think that they will make 2 cuts free of charge, then charge 25cents per cut after that.  But I have had up to 6 cuts on some panels, and have never been charged.  The cuts made at the store I go to have been pretty precise.  When I need to be exact, I have them cut it about 1/4 inch larger and cut it to size at home.  I don't think they have ever been as much as 1/8 th of an inch off what I asked for.

• Thanks 1

So, glad to see a quarantine thread here now.  Had a pretty significant disagreement with my wife this morning (i'm at work).  Over the past couple of weeks, I've gone to the grocery store maybe 3-4 times to stock up on some things for a "worst case scenario" type situation:

(1) Maybe about 10-15 regular size boxes of pasta

(2) About 5 cans of spaghetti sauce

(3) ~15 cans of soup

(4) 2 boxes of potato flakes (water only)

(5) 2 large bags of rice

(6) about 2 weeks ago i was able to get 4 boxes of the clorox wipes

(7) A half gallon of cooking oil

(8) Charcoal

(9) Standard cold and flu medication for children and adults

On Friday, I noticed that some of our standard food items were getting low (not the stuff I bought), so I asked her what we should do.  She said that she had made a peapod order through Giant, which was set to be delivered Thursday (3/19).  I told her that was probably not the best idea because there was no telling what might be missing from our order 6 days later.  But I left it at that. 

So i went to the store again last night, and picked up some more soup, the charcoal, cooking oil.  So she threw a fit this morning when she found the cooking oil.  I told her that we had two young children and she had done virtually nothing to prepare for a possible quarantine.  She responds that she has the peapod order set for Thursday. 

So bottom line here, are delivery services like Peapod still working, and is it wise to believe that things she ordered will come with the order?  Has anyone heard anything?

•  
  •  

4 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

So bottom line here, are delivery services like Peapod still working, and is it wise to believe that things she ordered will come with the order?  Has anyone heard anything?

The way i understand it, is all delivery/pickup options at all grocery/restaurants are still rolling - sometimes with delay, but rolling nonetheless.

On a separate note, I wish you the best on your marriage making it through this.  Sheesh.

I work in grocery and built the online webcart for our store.

People are getting what we got unless they very specifically detail substitute items.

...i also did a pretty half-assed job too. 1 person could do every order in the store before this. Now im seeing alllllllllllll the kinks in the system. FML

• Sad 1