Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

2 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Good choice.  Electronic drums will help you become more accurate, and you can jam with the headphones in.  I am going that route soon.  There are very quiet drum heads on my acoustic set, made of trampoline material. Cymbal mutes on my cymbals.  Not satisfying enough, and the bass drum still rumbles too much.  Electronic drums inbound.

Awesome. What kit are you looking at getting? I got a Roland TD17KV. I'm a guitarist, not a drummer, but I've played around on friends' sets before and from what I've read having the mesh snare and toms vs rubber make a big difference in coming close to the having the same feel as acoustics so I decided to spend a little extra for that. Anything you'd recommend as far as learning online? I want to make sure I get at least some good technique down before I start going off on my own.

I played the top of the line Roland kit at Sam Ashe...damn, it is AWESOME. It was like 7k and if I'm dropping that much on drums, it's on a acoustic set and I'm building myself a soundproof room. BTW, when I bought my drums it made me laugh when they referenced drums as acoustic vs electric. Back in the day when there were no electric kits like today, it was just drums. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I played the top of the line Roland kit at Sam Ashe...damn, it is AWESOME. It was like 7k and if I'm dropping that much on drums, it's on a acoustic set and I'm building myself a soundproof room. BTW, when I bought my drums it made me laugh when they referenced drums as acoustic vs electric. Back in the day when there were no electric kits like today, it was just drums. 

Yeah that was probably the TD50. That's their super top of the line professional set. I was kinda drooling over that one but as basically a beginner at seriously playing drums there's simply no reason for me to need anything like that at this point. Way too much money and I wouldn't even be able to fully utilize what it can do. I just wanted something that was high quality mid-level that I could grow on as I get better.

Though one thing I AM thinking about doing eventually is upgrading the cymbals. The TD50 has full dual-zone crash and ride cymbals where you can get a true bell tone from hitting it in a certain spot like real ones. The TD17 has single zone cymbals so you can't really do that. They're all fully modular which means you can mix and match if you want to upgrade or add stuff, which was a nice selling point to me as well. So I can upgrade or add new cymbals or toms if I want to in the future. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Awesome. What kit are you looking at getting? I got a Roland TD17KV. I'm a guitarist, not a drummer, but I've played around on friends' sets before and from what I've read having the mesh snare and toms vs rubber make a big difference in coming close to the having the same feel as acoustics so I decided to spend a little extra for that. Anything you'd recommend as far as learning online? I want to make sure I get at least some good technique down before I start going off on my own.

Anyone competent teaching how to hold/bounce the sticks/foot pedals should get you started.  I learned early on by playing funky/experimenting/having fun with 4/4 click tracks.  AKA a steady metronome beat.  Youtube "metronome beats per minute". Pick a pace a bit slower than you'd really like.

Dance.

Drumming is dancing.  Cept you're sitting down hitting ****.  Have fun and laugh at mistakes.  Keep testing things. Mistakes lead to discoveries.

Watching legendary drummers is also mind-expanding.  Don't have it discourage you.  You'll get it one day.  It'll just hit you.  You sit on the kit, and can do something that has been perplexing you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yep.  Watched all 4 Lethal Weapon movies this week.

I did this too.  Though this was the first time the phrase “I’m too old for this ****” really spoke to me.  

Lethal Weapon 2 is the best IMO

• Like 1

Watched Volcano. Made it to the point where the Stan guy is somehow walking through a MELTING SUBWAY TRAIN to rescue people that have somehow not died after being trapped inside with noxious gases. 

Then they're literally standing in front of a river of lava, waiting for him to superman toss the last passenger, before he falls in himself to die a cheesy B movie death.

You know... I really liked this movie as a kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Anyone competent teaching how to hold/bounce the sticks/foot pedals should get you started.  I learned early on by playing funky/experimenting/having fun with 4/4 click tracks.  AKA a steady metronome beat.  Youtube "metronome beats per minute". Pick a pace a bit slower than you'd really like.

Dance.

Drumming is dancing.  Cept you're sitting down hitting ****.  Have fun and laugh at mistakes.  Keep testing things. Mistakes lead to discoveries.

Watching legendary drummers is also mind-expanding.  Don't have it discourage you.  You'll get it one day.  It'll just hit you.  You sit on the kit, and can do something that has been perplexing you.

These electric drum kits have so much going on, it's too much for me but I do love messing around with different sounds. I have found it easier for my hands and mind to be independent of each other as I've gotten older. Like an old man understanding of what's going on. 

• Like 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2886214-tmz-cowboys-dak-prescott-hosts-party-with-ezekiel-elliott-despite-covid-19

TMZ: Cowboys' Dak Prescott Hosts Party with Ezekiel Elliott Despite COVID-19

Like much of the United States, the state of Texas is under a stay-at-home mandate in an effort to stop the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, per the New York Times.

Gov. Greg Abbott also issued an executive order on March 19 that all people in the state "shall avoid gatherings of groups of more than 10 people."

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott and running back Ezekiel Elliott are reportedly not practicing social-distancing measures, however, as TMZ Sports reported that the signal-caller hosted a birthday party at his house in Prosper, Texas, that included as many as 30 guests.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Dance.

Thanks for the tips.

My favorite drummer is Danny Carey from Tool, but I should probably learn to walk before I attempt Olympic sprinting. :ols:

I know he uses a bunch of odd time signatures, lots of polyrhythm, and syncopation. I'll probably just get frustrated if I try any of that before getting down fundamentals and basic 4/4 stuff. 

7 hours ago, Destino said:

I did this too.  Though this was the first time the phrase “I’m too old for this ****” really spoke to me.  

Lethal Weapon 2 is the best IMO

I like the 2nd one a lot, I also really like 4, which is blasphemous, I realize.  Pesci and Chris Rock had a good thing going.  The "They **** you with cell phones" bit still kills me every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Thanks for the tips.

My favorite drummer is Danny Carey from Tool, but I should probably learn to walk before I attempt Olympic sprinting. :ols:

I know he uses a bunch of odd time signatures, lots of polyrhythm, and syncopation. I'll probably just get frustrated if I try any of that before getting down fundamentals and basic 4/4 stuff. 

You picked the right guy to talk to about Danny. :ols: I love him too. 

I had a little kit in high school, in the basement. Boston's first album was a favorite to start to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like the 2nd one a lot, I also really like 4, which is blasphemous, I realize.  Pesci and Chris Rock had a good thing going.  The "They **** you with cell phones" bit still kills me every time.

4 was the West's introduction to Jet Li.  I'll allow it.  Plus, they're too old for this ****.  The world needs that line.

Edited by PokerPacker

Rambo Last Blood is on Amazon.  The plot didn’t matter to anyone making the movie, so it’s best that you ignore it too.  Here’s what you need to know, Rambo has grown darker in his old age. He actually reaches into people’s bodies and breaks the bits he finds inside with his hands.  I think he might have spent too much time underground.  

Perfect for Easter Quarantine.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

is that the one where grandma sacrifices herself by hopping out of the boat into lava to push the boat with her family in it forward until she dies?

It was a lake of acid that grandma went wading into.  Haha

i love bad big budget disaster movies.  

• Haha 1