Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it weird to go to the movies by yourself?

Springfield

Today, I was having a little water cooler talk with a coworker.  We were talking about how I haven’t seen Star Wars yet and I mentioned that I might just wait for it on video.  I’ve never not seen a Star Wars film in theaters.  My wife isn’t a Star Wars fan, and I’d rather not put her through what is possibly a below average movie.  I assume all of my friends have probably seen it already.

So he came up with a completely foreign idea to me:  Go watch Star Wars by yourself.

Now, at 37 years of age, I’ve never even entertained the thought of watching a movie in a theater alone.  I’ve always viewed the movie going experience as one to be shared by friends and others in the cinema.  Half of the joy is whispering to your pal about a trailer, or a interesting moment.  The more I think about it though, the more it becomes intriguing to me.  Maybe I will go watch a movie by myself, during the day, when it’s not crowded, cause I don’t wanna be a weirdo.

No.  I'm not a movie goer, and this annoys my wife.  Partly because of that, one of her favorite things is when there is a holiday where she has off, daughter's daycare is open (and I almost always work on fake holidays).  Every time, she goes to the movies (by herself) and then gets her nails done.  Usually I end up having a pretty good night too.  

Given the OP, I'll note that she always goes to the movie theater at Springfield Mall, which has, like, recliner couches instead of seats.  

Thought it was weird then Moviepass came along and to get the most out of it had to go solo. I prefer going to movies alone now. Usually just catch an early showing and go about my day. Tickets are cheaper and less people to deal with. My movie theater watching has plummeted though so I only go to big movies that I don't want spoiled.

It’s weird the first time you do it but you get over it quickly. My wife will never join me for sci-if or horror movies so if it’s something that has to be watched on a big screen, I’ll do it myself. The last two I went alone were Interstellar and Gravity.

Also went to a stand up skit at Chicago Second City once alone, when I was in town for work. Now that was unbelievably awkward and something I would not recommend... They sat all the loners on one side of the room like the awkward high school lunch table for nerds. Anything in the comedy realm is a shared experience imo. 

just the opposite---highly recommended from both a movie fan perspective and a personal development one (ideally you're also going with others at times too :806:)

my movie going has really dropped off this last couple years as i tend to go to the theatre now almost exclusively for the more high quality audio/visual spectacular or with kids to disney/pixar type stuff

but all my life until now i went to a lot of movies and did it both ways plenty of times, inc. on holidays like xmas or t-day with loved ones or by myself (movies on holidays also highly recommended for mental health depending on your family :D)

Not weird at all, it might even be my preferred method of seeing movies.  Certain "event movies" like Star Wars, I usually go with friends out of tradition, but most of the time I go to the theater myself, it is kind of nice to be alone and get totally immersed (as much as you can) into the film.

Count me as somebody else that will go alone, especially to something like this.  Most other people I know go with family.  My wife doesn't like Star Wars, my kids want to go with friends, and if I do take them they like to ask me questions about the characters and what is going on because they've seen the movies, but don't really remember the whole story.

I’ve never done it and seems weird to me.  When the wife was still living in Florida, there were movies I wanted to see but I wouldn’t go see alone.  Now we are together and we at least talk about going.  We end up getting too busy or go out drinking instead.  But yea, don’t think I could go alone.

I used to think it was weird until I started the habit of going to the movies on saturday mornings. It's not easy to get friends/family to go to a morning movie.

Now it's my "go to" move. No crowds, no compromise on when/where. Nobody asking questions, no babies crying or children shouting. Just me and my movie. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Not at all. I used to travel every week Monday - Thursday for work so I would go to movies by myself when I was out of town to see movies my wife had no interest in seeing.  

I'm going to the Tuesday $7 senior matinee in RVA next week to see "1917" by myself. Sneaking in a bag of popcorn & bottled water, too. 

We used to sit around at work and  read from "The Book of Questions".  One of them was, "Would you rather go to a movie alone or eat at a restuarant alone?".  For me, it was an easy answer-eat at a restuarant.  Now that I'm older, I'm thinking my answer may be going to the movies alone for all of the reasons stated above.

35 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Given the OP, I'll note that she always goes to the movie theater at Springfield Mall, which has, like, recliner couches instead of seats.  

He also probably lives close to Alamo Drafthouse in Woodbridge, which is dope AF. Full food and drinks menu and they bring everything to your seat. 

Good if you want to sneak one in to avoid crowds imo. I like going with someone during blockbuster/horror season, or to see comedies. Usually I'll go see suspense thriller type stuff, or historical dramas and pure science fiction by myself, unless whoever I'm with on a date really likes that stuff.

It's more common now for me now that I'm 31 and just dating, not in a relationship, and still in "Job Purgatory," while most of my longtime friends are either married,  married with kids, have demanding careers, or all 3.

Gets harder these days when schedules don't mesh all the time.

51 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Springfield Mall is actually pretty nice.  They have nice seats, plenty of room, plus a bar and you can bring your alcohol into the theater with you.

My go-to’s are either that or Fairfax Corner.

But my movie going frequency is fairly low these days anyhow.  I built a movie theater in my basement, complete with a 120” screen, 4K projector and 5.1 surround sound (soon to be Atmos).  It’s a pretty nice experience.

46 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I like that theater though I did have one bizarre experience because of those couches.  I took my daughter to see Moana there, middle of the day, and had to chase off two teenagers that lifted the divider and turned their couches into a bed.  They then proceeded to do what teenagers do.  Personally I’m all for live and let live, but i draw the line at trying to finger bang your girlfriend while sitting next to my five year old.  

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

I like that theater though I did have one bizarre experience because of those couches.  I took my daughter to see Moana there, middle of the day, and had to chase off two teenagers that lifted the divider and turned their couches into a bed.  They then proceeded to do what teenagers do.  Personally I’m all for live and let live, but i draw the line at trying to finger bang your girlfriend while sitting next to my five year old.  

There is a "How Far I'll Go" joke in there somewhere, but I'm not gonna do it. :)

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

Reason # 4,576 why I dont think I'll ever have kids. I'd be the crazy , shotty wielding home alone trashcan guy father down the street, who's kids dont get laid until they're 35.

I think it's weird to think it's weird to go to a place where talking is frowned upon and your attention should be on something other than the people around you.  lol

It's still my preferred method. But I dont do it much once I got married.  

But weekday matinees by yourself = awesome.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Reason # 4,576 why I dont think I'll ever have kids. I'd be the crazy , shotty wielding home alone trashcan guy father down the street, who's kids dont get laid until they're 35.

These days there's no need to do all that.  Just get your kids on the internet early and often and do nothing to socialize them (a thing parents have to do now, apparently).  They'll become so socially awkward that the not getting laid part will take care of itself.  Welcome to the future! 

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

There is a "How Far I'll Go" joke in there somewhere, but I'm not gonna do it. :)

Just be sure to offer up a "what can I say except you're welcome" afterwards.

It’s not that weird, I’ve done it a few times mainly when I’m out of town working. I haven’t been to the theatre much lately, last few times I was so pissed because people near me wouldn’t stop talking or eating really loud. But a weekday afternoon movie by yourself isn’t weird at all unless you’re really insecure or something idk. Who gives a care 

Used to prefer it because I was stupid busy and sometimes just wanted to be left alone. 

Having said that, certain movies you aren't really watching by yourself.  When I went to go see Batman vs Superman, there was such a collective sense of disappointment, it was like being at a Redskins game.  When I went to get see Last Jedi, I throw my hands in the air when Leia's ship blew up and she used the force in space like dragonball z to fly around and save herself, others did, too.

The last time I did that was Alien: Covenant.  It was last move of the night, and I **** you not, there wasn't a single soul in that theater for that movie except for me. Think when the movie started, even the person responsible for managing the projector left to go home.  Haven't been to a movie by myself sense.

Archived