Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Anybody else thinking that they have already had this virus?

The very end of February and the first full week of March I felt crappy. I had some congestion, felt a little feverish here and there but no temp, fatigue. I went to bed at about 2 hours early most of the days that week. 

Thought it was from being outside, golfing. I was even joking to others like, “it’s not the Corona, I swear.” At that time, there were just a couple “cases” and we didn’t know what we do now... it’s kind of freaky how hundreds of thousands of people had been exposed for possibly weeks and didn’t know it. And many probably got sick without making the connection. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The very end of February and the first full week of March I felt crappy. I had some congestion, felt a little feverish here and there but no temp, fatigue. I went to bed at about 2 hours early most of the days that week. 

Thought it was from being outside, golfing. I was even joking to others like, “it’s not the Corona, I swear.” At that time, there were just a couple “cases” and we didn’t know what we do now... it’s kind of freaky how hundreds of thousands of people had been exposed for possibly weeks and didn’t know it. And many probably got sick without making the connection. 

Pretty sure my sister had it around Christmas time, she had this horrible sickness that wouldn't go away for around 3-4 weeks, went to the doctor and they couldn't figure it out. Her children also go sick around the same period. At the time I thought it was the flu, but looking back I'm pretty confident in saying it was corona.

7 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Glad you're ok. 

If this is accurate, then who knows who you got it from. Could be someone who never felt bad and spread it all over. 

37 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Pretty sure my sister had it around Christmas time, she had this horrible sickness that wouldn't go away for around 3-4 weeks, went to the doctor and they couldn't figure it out. Her children also go sick around the same period. At the time I thought it was the flu, but looking back I'm pretty confident in saying it was corona.

This is unlikely.  There was a bad virus that went around this year, but it almost certainly wasn't this for the simple reason is what we are seeing now.  When this comes around, hospitals are overwhelmed and large numbers of people get very sick (and die). 

(I had went around in March.  It was all over the place I work and in my home.  Nobody I know ended up in the hospital over it.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

This is unlikely.  There was a bad virus that went around this year, but it almost certainly wasn't this for the simple reason is what we are seeing now.  When this comes around, hospitals are overwhelmed and large numbers of people get very sick (and die). 

(I had went around in March.  It was all over the place I work and in my home.  Nobody I know ended up in the hospital over it.)

You're probably correct I just found it strange that it lingered for so long. 

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I might have had it earlier but I'll never know because there wasn't much testing available so I just self quarantined myself. This was in early March. There wasn't really a fever, just feeling tired and having headaches, and a cough. But I could feel something was a bit off.  Eventually I did get better.

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

We really need the antibody test to come out asap.  I can think of 1 or 2 times I might have had this prior to coming back from St. Thomas mid-March.  Once was in January when I had a mild fever but recovered, and I specifically remember my wife and I were going to go out to eat dinner but I didn't want to because my taste was completely gone.  I've experienced that plenty when I have had a cold and my nose is stuffed to all hell with sinus problems, but I didn't have any of that this time and I remember thinking how odd that was.  I have asthma/allergies and constantly have sinus problems so I know what backed up sinuses feels like and it was not that at all.

The second time was when my wife was sick mid/late February for like 4-5 days, then my son got it.  Fever, lethargic, etc.  Then early March a week before our trip I had a fever off and on that just was lingering and just overall felt crappy.  

My sister in December was sick with a cough and I specifically remember her saying that she was having chest pains.  She's never had stuff like that.  They wrote it off as bronchitis though.

Having this antibody test would be a very good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doctors say India must prepare for an 'onslaught' as one of Asia's biggest slums reports first coronavirus death

New Delhi (CNN)One of Asia's biggest slums has confirmed its first coronavirus death as top Indian doctors warn that the country must prepare to face an "onslaught" of cases that could cripple the health system to levels far beyond what Europe and the United States are experiencing.

A 56-year-old man died due to Covid-19-related illness in Dharavi slum, in the Indian financial capital of Mumbai on Wednesday.

The patient, who had no travel history, died hours just after testing positive for coronavirus while being transferred to a local hospital, Kiran Dighavkar, an official with Mumbai's Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) told CNN.

Several of the man's family members have been tested and placed under home quarantine, and the block of 300 homes and 90 shops that make up his densely packed neighborhood have been sealed off to prevent further infections.

On Thursday, a 52-year-old sweeper who works for the BMC in Dharavi also tested positive for coronavirus.

Home to around 1 million people, Dharavi slum has a population density almost 30 times greater than New York -- about 280,000 people per square kilometer.

Doctors say the situation would be unmanageable if a sustained coronavirus outbreak spread rapidly through one of India's many slums, where there is little sanitation or running water and thousands of people live cheek by jowl -- making social distancing physically and economically impossible.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, China said:

Doctors say India must prepare for an 'onslaught' as one of Asia's biggest slums reports first coronavirus death

New Delhi (CNN)One of Asia's biggest slums has confirmed its first coronavirus death as top Indian doctors warn that the country must prepare to face an "onslaught" of cases that could cripple the health system to levels far beyond what Europe and the United States are experiencing.

For reference, this is the Dharavi slum:

dharavi.jpg?from=mdr

Good god, I can't even imagine something like COVID-19 getting loose in that sort of place. It's going to be a nightmare. 

• Sad 2

If they were only hurting themselves that would be one thing, but they represent a danger in spreading it to the rest of us.

'Satan's trying to keep us apart!' Dozens of defiant Christian pastors will hold Palm Sunday services throughout the US despite orders to self-isolate amid the coronavirus crisis

Dozens of defiant Christian pastors across the country are preparing to open their church doors to their congregations for Palm Sunday, despite strict lockdown orders to prevent the spread of COVID-19. 

'We're defying the rules because the commandment of God is to spread the Gospel,' Louisiana pastor Tony Spell told Reuters Saturday.  

More than 8,000 Americans have died from the highly contagious coronavirus in recent weeks, prompting officials and medical experts to plead with the public to practice social distancing. 

But Spell, whose Life Tabernacle megachurch in Baton Rouge boasts 1,000 members, plans on holding three services on Palm Sunday.

It's unclear how many of them will crowd inside the building to hear their pastor preach. 

'The church is the last force resisting the Antichrist, let us assemble regardless of what anyone says,' Spell told Reuters.

'Satan's trying to keep us apart, he's trying to keep us from worshiping together. But we're not going to let him win,' Kelly Burton, pastor at Lone Star Baptist Church in Lone Star, Texas, wrote in a post on Facebook.

Lone Star has been holding services in the parking lot - what it calls 'Church on the Lot' - and will do so on Palm Sunday. 

Meanwhile, in California's Sacramento County, officials stated Friday that they have identified one evangelical church that has a cluster of 71 positive cases. They offered few details but said that while the church itself is closed, church members continue to gather in fellow parishioners' homes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

For reference, this is the Dharavi slum:

Good god, I can't even imagine something like COVID-19 getting loose in that sort of place. It's going to be a nightmare. 

I've been wondering when we were going to hear countries going through this with neighborhoods like that. They aren't alone for sure. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I've been wondering when we were going to hear countries going through this with neighborhoods like that. They aren't alone for sure. 

Brazilian rapper warns of coronavirus danger in Brazil's slums

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazilian rapper MV Bill added his voice to a chorus of criticism of President Jair Bolsonaro for downplaying the gravity of the new coronavirus epidemic in a video clip that urges people to protect themselves.

His rap “Quarantine” recorded in the isolation of his home and posted on social media warns that contagion could be explosive in Brazil’s crowded “favelas” or slums, such as Rio’s City of God where he was born, some with no running water.

Seeing that many Brazilians including their president were not taking the virus seriously motivated his song, he told Reuters by email on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, visionary said:
The greatest error that geopolitical analysts can make may be believing that the crisis will be over in three to four months, as the world’s leaders have been implying.”

I don't understand that thought process either. We aren't doing **** until we have a vaccine without having millions die. 

28 minutes ago, China said:

It's gonna be brutal in some countries. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Sad 1

Re: Antibody test

Yes, we need this!  I have no idea how everyone can think we can get back to "normal" without widespread testing.  I would like us to "renormalize"... unfortunate that we don't even have mass availability of masks. 

Re: "Did I have this in January or February?"

I have seen this idea pushed, but don't buy it.  Agree that Coronavirus seems both more infectious and severe and if it was around then we would see what we are seeing now. 

Re:  Church Services

Our church is having an online service followed by sometype of social distance communion gathering.  It is offensive that churches are "non essential"  but liquor stores are "essentual" (on an emotional level)-- most of our churches we have attended transitioned to online only a couple weeks ago.  Pastor did admit that if we were in NYC he may think differently... then again it only takes one contamination to spread and a virus doesn't stop because "good intentions". Wife and I talked about going, but as much as we would like to gather as a church community, its another vector for risk we have to weigh.  We have quite an elderly congregation too.  

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

don't understand that thought process either. We aren't doing **** until we have a vaccine without having millions die. 

Maybe but I wouldn’t take this as a given. We are beginning to learn that a lot of cases are going unreported because of mild to no symptoms and that the infection fatality rate is as low as .5%: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00885-w?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=organic&utm_campaign=NGMT_USG_JC01_GL_Nature

That means we can save a lot of lives if we have ways of treating the disease. So the biggest challenge in the short term is that we really don’t have good forms of treating the disease. But this month we will see a lot of data from clinical trials rolling in on possible therapeutics. Within a few months, we will probably have medical data on best practices from many regions of the world.

If we can get to the point the contact tracing is happening in most parts of the country and therapeutics are available to treat the worst cases, there is good reason to think that society will start opening well before a vaccine is ready. I hate to sound like Trump but at some point, playing defensive will start to have far more deadly consequences than transitioning to whatever the new “normal” is going to be. But we need better technology to get to this point and I’m semi-optimistic that we will have it.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

5 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I had a very bad illness back in Feb. Be hard pressed to find a sicker period in my life. And it happened pretty fast, from me being "Not right" one day (sense of smell and taste was iffy, and my nose would stop and unstop constantly) to completely bedridden a couple days later. Violent (and I mean violent) coughs, fever, phlem that looked like something out of Aliens, nose was running like a faucet, aching all over like I had been hit with a blunt object, so much fluid in my lumgs that it was hard to breathe at times... Basically everything except the urge to throw up.

It was diagnosed as pneumonia, but there was some uncertainty on how to treat it/identify it for whatever reason. I was not given an antibiotic, and was told to take over the counter stuff for a couple weeks. Took stuff like coricidine and cough drops, nasal decongestants,  cold compresses,  and ended up exhibiting symptoms for up to 2 weeks after the worst of it had gone. 

My brother was also sick around the same time as me, but not for as long. I live in Northern Montgomery County, but primarily shop in Germantown (where I used to live), Gaithersburg, and Rockville, and one of my doctors that I had just seen, recently came back from vacation in Thailand. 

So theres that. 

• Like 2