Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

37 minutes ago, just654 said:

I found a couple of them.

No, you didn't. Or, perhaps more accurately, you kind of did, and that's the reason they're toothless.

There aren't "a couple", there are at least six I'm aware of. There is no collective bargaining without a collective.

NEA and AFT have branches here, for example, but while they might be unions in other states they have basically no power here other than to take their dues and lobby elected officials. Most people just join one for the insurance.

They're probably already aware, but they can't do anything.

Going to the press and trying to get public attention and shame is probably a better bet, but if it's a more rural Republican part of VA where this isn't being taken seriously, that might not work either.

Fortunately Fairfax is handling it about as well as possible, in my view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I really think urging people to get the flu shot when discussing Corona Virus is 100 percent reasonable.  You can’t get a corona shot, but you can get a flu shot. Control what you can control... The criticism is a little ridiculous. 

You can't possibly think that the guy simply woke up on Feb 1st and was like "Wow, I really need to warn people about getting flu shots".

I think there's a 95% chance that he sent that either on direction from the WH or just on his own to toe the line that the other Trump morons were putting out there to say that COVID-19 was less dangerous than the seasonal flu. 

That tweet was directly downplaying COVID-19 and pushing that "flu is worse" narrative at the exact same time that Trump and his minions were pushing it. That's not a coincidence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You can't possibly think that the guy simply woke up on Feb 1st and was like "Wow, I really need to warn people about getting flu shots".

No, but it’s possible he was using people’s worry about the corona virus to get people to get a flu vaccine.

• Haha 1

"Cover in Jesus's blood."  Really?  Well, let those religious fanatics suffer the consequences.  Christian, Muslim,Jew,Hindu, etc..    You won't be spared from the virus.  You know you can pray from home.  If you are really religious; you probably have your holy book in your house.  Read from it.  Do you prayers.  I'm not that religious, but my religion requires prayers 5 times a day.  While they prefer you go to the mosque and pray and there's a Friday Jumuah prayer.   You can do the prayers from home.  I'm sure God understands if you can’t  go to church,temple,mosque, etc... during these times.

I think those who decide their religious beliefs override any stay at home order and the GOP states have let them do that; then they should be held liable if they get infected and infect other people.  Especially, if the other people end up dying.   Frankly, I'd put an electronic tag on those people.  Oooh, the mark of the beast?  So, what.  People, need to know where these people are to avoid them. 

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Larry said:

Some possibly cheerful trivia.  

Just heard a promo for an NPR show about sports and life.  

"You might not guess it from his size, but Dr Fauci was the captain of his high school basketball team, because of his leadership role."  

Trump is really going to hate it, when Dr, Fauci is being cited as a real leader during this crisis and not him.  Fauci, will probably get fired at some point; when his popularity is too much for Trump to mentally handle.

• Sad 3

36 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

When the cult starts hearing the ambulance sirens in their neighborhood.

Wait...so....is death now a hoax? I'm confused.

7 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Frankly, I'd put an electronic tag on those people.  Oooh, the mark of the beast?  So, what.  People, need to know where these people are to avoid them. 

They've had the mark of the beast on them for years now.

34402b7a-995a-44b4-96d4-9ddcab575cb6-Mak

42 minutes ago, PCS said:

Oh joy. More Trump boot lickers with props. As soon as someone starts busting that sort of stuff out in interviews I cringe, because I'm always reminded of this:

170713091701-kellyanne-conway-flash-cards-fox-news-int-.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Trump is really going to hate it, when Dr, Fauci is being cited as a real leader during this crisis and not him.  Fauci, will probably get fired at some point; when his popularity is too much for Trump to mentally handle.

Remember decades ago, seeing a brief thing in the WaPo society column (I think it was on the front page of the local news section).  It mentioned that there had been a 10 year reunion for people who used to work in the Jimmy Carter White House.  And they wore name tags that read "Hi!  I used to be . . . "

• Haha 1

In a November 2005 speech at the National Institutes of Health, President George W. Bush laid out proposals in granular detail — describing with stunning prescience how a pandemic in the United States would unfold

Too bad this wasn't sustained.  Didn't it even really go into effect, in the bush administration?  You figure, after having to deal with SarS/H1N1 and Ebola, Obama would've looked up that old proposal and insist  on enacting it?  Did he?

If there was anything going into the Trump administration; we know he dismantled it. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

That tweet was directly downplaying COVID-19 and pushing that "flu is worse" narrative at the exact same time that Trump and his minions were pushing it. That's not a coincidence. 

I think there is too strong a tendency to attribute these types of things to deliberate attempts to misinform people for political gain.  Left wing outlets like Vox, the Washington Post, and Buzzfeed were also running articles at that time saying that people should worry more about the flu than the Corona virus.  Do we automatically attribute that to stupidity or evil intentions?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mooka said:

Here's the full speech:       https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4865445/user-clip-national-strategy-pandemic-preparedness

(Dr fauci Shoutout @ 04:00 )

(Bush also coughs at the end :ols:

Listening to W here.... wow, what an example of how low we've gone in this country by electing Trump. 

i could never see Trump give that kind of speech or do what Bush did. 

I’d hardly call those left wing outlets these days.  Maybe left leaning or left centered.

Let’s not forget by the way that the surgeon general was Pence’s health guy in Indiana.

Edited by visionary
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I think there is too strong a tendency to attribute these types of things to deliberate attempts to misinform people for political gain.  Left wing outlets like Vox, the Washington Post, and Buzzfeed were also running articles at that time saying that people should worry more about the flu than the Corona virus.  Do we automatically attribute that to stupidity or evil intentions?

Links?

• Like 3