Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

6 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Glad you're ok. 

If this is accurate, then who knows who you got it from. Could be someone who never felt bad and spread it all over. 

Half having no symptoms suggests the death rate is much lower, which is good.  Probably also means bthat covid 19 is much more contagious, which is not good.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

We need a Covid test that can be performed at home, accurately, cheaply if we are gonna beat this thing.

You'd better not have that. You'd have people going to the streets saying they passed the test while never doing it. Not a good thing at all.

22 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I spent the night getting into a twitter debate about COVID with Marquis Flowers lol...holy hell.

Then I assume you juked him, stiffed armed him and break the tackle right?

Edited by Wildbunny
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

You'd better not have that. You'd have people going to the streets saying they passed the test while never doing it. Not a good thing at all.

Well then a fast and accurate test that can be done on a massive level.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If there's a written-word version of that, then yes lol...I'm pretty sure all of his tweets in response to me included at least of these ------>  😂

Worst part was Guice was agreeing with this fool at the time I chimed in (that's the reason it showed up on my feed). Thankfully he didn't join in, though.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Someone posted this on that thread...it's apparently not a video of what's happening now (although I have no idea if it IS still happening):

The professor was wrong though, my bad I thought it was recent.

Unfortunately It seems that it is still hapening : https://time.com/5815036/pakistan-mosques-death-toll-coronavirus/

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/international/covid-19-when-a-maulana-instigated-mobs-against-police-in-pakistan/videoshow/74973177.cms

Meanwhile the Gulf countries have taken drastic measures., people are required to avoid gatherings at the mosque, especially during the Friday big prayer.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I would add that some people will not perform the test properly, testing themselves too soon for example. Our governments and manufacturers must be careful dispatching the proper informations.

ID NOW™ COVID-19 Molecular. In minutes. On the front line

Here is another one https://ngbiotech.com/

How will the test be available ?
Right now, we have to deal with the emergency. The priority is to put this type of test in the hands of the medical care staff in hospitals. We can also imagine its deployment, in a second step, in the laboratories. How about a consumer test in the future? But this is not the primary objective. It would be difficult to follow in terms of production. Link

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Re:  Church Services

Our church is having an online service followed by sometype of social distance communion gathering.  It is offensive that churches are "non essential"  but liquor stores are "essentual" (on an emotional level)-- most of our churches we have attended transitioned to online only a couple weeks ago.  Pastor did admit that if we were in NYC he may think differently... then again it only takes one contamination to spread and a virus doesn't stop because "good intentions". Wife and I talked about going, but as much as we would like to gather as a church community, its another vector for risk we have to weigh.  We have quite an elderly congregation too.  

It's not offensive at all.  It's ****ing smart. 

Do you not see the difference between a tiny liquor store providing consumables than a church that holds hundreds of people boxed in at the same time?  I even went to a liquor store yesterday and they now are making you wait in line outside with designated lines marked 6 feet apart, and only letting about 6 people into the store at a time.

Churches can also do virtual ceremonies VERY easily.  My mom told me that her church was having "drive up" services where the pastor was outside with a microphone and cars could drive up and listen from their car. 

Gym's are way more essential on a mental health level than churches are (or at least the same level) and it's very obvious why they are not open right now.  It's pretty ****ing obvious why they aren't open too - because of all the close proximity to people, and it's even less people are in gyms than at church ceremonies.

One could argue that movie theaters are on the same level as churches for mental/emotional health issues, even more, considering I'm pretty sure more people go to watch movies than go to church. But again it's pretty obvious why they are closed.

I grew up going to Catholic schools all through high school but damn, the religious nut jobs in this country are some of the most detrimental people to this country.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm watching Live PD SE from last night and there is a very good piece on it right now where the surgeon general is straight up speaking and telling us stuff.

Highlights.

1. The report of the virus being airborne is pretty much bogus.  According to him and he flat out says he's getting his information from Dr. Fauci, it's spreading from droplets so staying 6 feet away from people is the best defense still.

2. As for the mask stuff, he said that initially CDC and everyone recommended NOT wearing them, but now that they have learned just how many people were spreading the virus pre-symptoms, that it's now recommended so that people who are asymptomatic won't spread the virus.  He mentions again that the main point of masks is not necessarily for your protection, but to help the wearer not spread anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, visionary said:
State exempting churches ...... 

The problem with this is these people will not just infect themselves. They will go to the grocery store, gas station, and where ever else and infect innocent people that are only out because they have to or becasue they work there and have to be there. And yes, they could get infected by someone else. But this garbage is taking a very unnecessary risk.

If this only impacted them, then fine do what you want, it's your life to waste. But this impacts others in a way that could literally kill them. Total ignorance. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some possibly cheerful trivia.  

Just heard a promo for an NPR show about sports and life.  

"You might not guess it from his size, but Dr Fauci was the captain of his high school basketball team, because of his leadership role."  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It's not offensive at all.  It's ****ing smart. 

Do you not see the difference between a tiny liquor store providing consumables than a church that holds hundreds of people boxed in at the same time?  I even went to a liquor store yesterday and they now are making you wait in line outside with designated lines marked 6 feet apart, and only letting about 6 people into the store at a time.

Churches can also do virtual ceremonies VERY easily.  My mom told me that her church was having "drive up" services where the pastor was outside with a microphone and cars could drive up and listen from their car. 

Gym's are way more essential on a mental health level than churches are (or at least the same level) and it's very obvious why they are not open right now.  It's pretty ****ing obvious why they aren't open too - because of all the close proximity to people, and it's even less people are in gyms than at church ceremonies.

One could argue that movie theaters are on the same level as churches for mental/emotional health issues, even more, considering I'm pretty sure more people go to watch movies than go to church. But again it's pretty obvious why they are closed.

I grew up going to Catholic schools all through high school but damn, the religious nut jobs in this country are some of the most detrimental people to this country.

I agree with your overall point about churches being non-essential - with one adjustment. I do not agree liquor stores are essential. Both are choices, not necessitates. And both can be put off until this thing is under control - assuming that can actually happen considering he lack of taking it serious much of the country seems to be taking it. 

• Like 1

My mom is a public school teacher in Virginia. Classes have been canceled for the remainder of the year. The governor has issued a shelter in place order. The superintendent for her school district? Mandating that teachers come to school starting next week if they want to get paid. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

My mom is a public school teacher in Virginia. Classes have been canceled for the remainder of the year. The governor has issued a shelter in place order. The superintendent for her school district? Mandating that teachers come to school starting next week if they want to get paid. 

It should be that if any teacher gets sick the superintendent is charged with assault and if they die, they are charged with murder. Unlikely to happen. But if it did, it may stop this kind of non-sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

My mom is a public school teacher in Virginia. Classes have been canceled for the remainder of the year. The governor has issued a shelter in place order. The superintendent for her school district? Mandating that teachers come to school starting next week if they want to get 

Can superintendents be fired or do they have to be voted out?  This guys deserves both.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Report this to their union. My wife’s union in MD played a big part in the home hours that MD teachers now have to do. Originally teachers were told to teacher a normal school day from home. Now it is just 9-1 starting after Easter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is an inteview of Prof. Raoult, it tells about his personality.

Didier Raoult, the professor at war against academically correct

04/05/2020 à 08:00
"The doctor can and must think like a doctor, and not like a methodologist" , he defends himself in a forum in Le Monde . How could he conduct double-blind studies (neither the doctor nor the patient knows who is receiving the treatment), leaving it to chance to decide who will be treated and who will receive a placebo, when the coronavirus does every day that passes more demonstration of its lethality? For this doctor with the soul of a researcher, this equation is impossible to solve, except to betray his Hippocratic oath

"As doctors, it is our duty to give patients the best treatment available at time T. The rest is literature."

I was wondering why he didn't perform double blind tests, here is his answer :

"The fact that people believe that the method they report is a method suited to this situation testifies to the fact that they have absolutely no knowledge of the history of medicine and the sciences," he said. 'based on his historical knowledge.

I am an epistemologist, that is to say a scientist of science. In the history of infectious diseases, this method has hardly ever been used to demonstrate the effectiveness of a drug. " Scientific studies, which use control groups of several hundred people, are only a "trend" for him. "The big studies were made necessary by the pharmaceutical industry, and everyone ended up mistaking this method for science." Link    4/1/2020 at 2:55 PM

How come nobody (to my knowledge) is conducting a randomized test with placebo using his method and dosage ? People need to know if HCQ really helps.

Edited by FrFan

"I don't have to know whether it works or not, before giving it to my patients, because of my sacred duty to do what's best for them, even thugh I don;t have a clue whether it actually is best or not.  Nor can I be bothered with petty things like structuring my use of my patients as guinea pigs in such a way that their use as guinea pigs will at least yield valid data that reputable doctors can then use, to treat others."

"And because people are dying every day"  (Oh, and even I claim that it doesn't work on the severe cases, only the mild ones.)  

• Thanks 1

A review of federal purchasing contracts by The Associated Press shows federal agencies waited until mid-March to begin placing bulk orders of N95 respirator masks, mechanical ventilators and other equipment needed by front-line health care workers.

Vote these bums out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Prevention is the key, action instead of reaction. They were ready for it, we were not.

This large battery of tests has allowed the German health authorities to "carefully examine the beginnings of the epidemic", in order to limit its spread, according to Lothar H. Wieler.

Swiss pharma provides free chloroquine

The giant Novartis and the company Mepha Switzerland are donating tens of thousands of doses of the antimalarial to Swiss authorities and hospitals across the country.

Edited by FrFan

(Germany's death rate)

. . . And you would expect that higher testing would result in a lower statistical death rate.  

Suppose you double the number of people you test.  If you were testing people at random (you weren't), then doubling the number of tests will result in double the number if "infected".  But it won't result in double the number of dead.  

(It would increase the official death count.  By changing people from "dead from unknown causes" to "dead from Covid".  But it seems to me that it won't double the official death count.)  

If you double the number of "infected" (the number of known infected), but don't double the number of "killed by the virus", then your death rate goes down.  

• Like 1