Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We are never very good on 4th down. I actually wondered about Snacks Harrison on a cheap deal for depth on running downs

When I paid attention, seems like where they were gashed was on the edges and especially by RBs who were good at change of direction.   But agree Harrison is a beast against the run.  If I recall based on PFF grades the weak line up the middle was Jonathan Allen against the run.  At least according to PFF, Allen was just a jag last year as a player, just a guy. 

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Additions/players brought back:

G Brandon Scherff (franchise tag)

CB Kendall Fuller (signed for four years, $40 million)

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis (signed for one year, $3.45 million)

LB Thomas Davis (signed)

S Sean Davis (signed for one year, $5 million)

RB J.D. McKissic (signed for two years)

G Wes Schweitzer (signed for three years, $13.5 million)

Losses:

QB Case Keenum

G Ereck Flowers

CB Josh Norman (cut)

The Ron Rivera era is off to a good start, as Washington made some really good moves this past week. They brought back Kendall Fuller, who spent the first three seasons of his career in the slot before being used in a hybrid safety role with the Chiefs in 2019. Fuller was the league’s highest-graded slot corner in 2017.

The price is high for Brandon Scherff, but it’s not a bad move, given that he is one of the league’s best offensive guards. He’s battled a couple of injuries over the last two years, but he's remained a top-tier player — he has never ranked lower than 21st among guards in overall grade, and he has been the sixth-best run-blocker since entering the league.

Don’t sleep on the signing of Kevin Pierre-Louis, either. He’s been mostly a special-teamer in his six-year career but saw some time at linebacker for the Bears in 2019 and flashed some serious potential. He recorded a 90.5 overall grade across his 213 snaps, shining in coverage by allowing only 82 yards and 14 catches on 21 targets with three combined pass breakups and interceptions.

FREE AGENCY GRADE: ABOVE AVERAGE

Don’t sleep on the signing of Kevin Pierre-Louis, either. He’s been mostly a special-teamer in his six-year career but saw some time at linebacker for the Bears in 2019 and flashed some serious potential. He recorded a 90.5 overall grade across his 213 snaps, shining in coverage by allowing only 82 yards and 14 catches on 21 targets with three combined pass breakups and interceptions.

This is the kind of stuff that excites me about Kyle Smith.  I think he's a REALLY good talent evaluator, and is able to see some things better than other scouts and personnel guys.  He's had some good drafts, and if he can bring that over to the pro side, and find gems like this (if he turns out to be a gem), we could be set up pretty good over time. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Grant Paulsen just said he poked around with his sources at Redskins Park, was told they are basically done in FA with the exception of something minor here and there and or if certain players lower their current price tags. 

IF Rivera is basically "done" with Free Agency, that tells me that his plan

is to trade our #2 draft pick for a package of three 1st and 2nd round picks 
that can fill some of the holes with players who can possibly start. What other
option is left?  Too bad the TE crop in the draft is weak.

People who think the remaining FAs are all average or mediocre players need
to look at the backups we have penciled as starters already.  What the FAs are..
is overpriced which I think Rivera interprets as greedy and unworthy.  Seems like 
kind of hard ass to me...I haven't drank the Rivera Kool-Aid just yet.

If we're not going to be a contending team in 20/21, why would we need the best 
pass rush in the NFL when our young QB has no starting TE to throw to and no
starting LT to protect his butt and help open holes for what looks to be a good
RB group.  We already have two excellent Edge rushers and a couple of other 
promising ones.  Do we have a hole for Chase Young to fill...no...even if he is 
the next Lawrence Taylor.

As far as the backup QB, I believe that the last and cheapest FA veteran 
remaining is who Rivera will sign.  But it might not be someone to push or challenge
Haskins, or to start if he craps out or gets hurt the way Keenum could have.  That 
was the orig. plan, right?  But if he's done w free agency, and skipped over the ones 
that already signed, then that plan was bogus.  Same with the veteran WR plan.
We offered Cooper a gazillion $ but there isn't one other really good WR in FA we could start?

42 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

This really speaks to me that they're trading that #2 draft pick to move down for more picks. I mean, think about it. We don't even have a left tackle right now unless Trent isn't traded and he decides to play this year. Dunbar wants out, so if he's traded, we have a hole at CB ( which I think we have anyway). We need talent and we simply don't have enough high draft picks to get it. 

Everyone is ignoring the switch to the Tampa 2 scheme, which de-emphasizes CB play. Breeland actually fits the scheme week, as do Fuller and Moreland. 

Moreau and Dunbar I’m not sure. 

I remember Zimmer saying to his CB “this ain’t a cover 2 scheme, if I wanted that I could go find a CB on the street right now to play it.”

The biggest issue is the scheme stresses the FS/MLB the most. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

We should sign Suh and Clowney just for the hell of it.

nah just sign Cam and Clowney, then trade back from #2 for the hell of it.

on a slightly more serious note, trying to think who we had been linked with that is still unsigned.

TE Delanie Walker

FS Damarious Randall 

6 minutes ago, nickel7168 said:

While i agree that he likely is looking at a major haul of early picks for no. 2 as a legitimate option, i imagine him and Del Rio would be more than happy getting Young.  

The other option that is left is that he's not looking to build the entire team in a single season.  Him and his front office have key targets they want, as well as prices they are willing to pay.  If they miss out on their guy, they are not going to panic and sign someone just to try and make up for a missed opportunity.  I imagine he still has his eyes on some guys, waiting to see if that contract value drops a little bit over time.  He is looking to free agency to basically get enough players to field a team.  Once that team is 'whole,' he can then look to finding playmakers and difference makers... 

13 minutes ago, nickel7168 said:

People who think the remaining FAs are all average or mediocre players need
to look at the backups we have penciled as starters already.  What the FAs are..
is overpriced which I think Rivera interprets as greedy and unworthy.  Seems like 
kind of hard ass to me...I haven't drank the Rivera Kool-Aid just yet.

What position(s) do you think the team needs to fill? I would agree the team has issues, but it's not like free agency is some gold mine of talent. So while you'd like to improve at say WR, paying Robby Anderson $12 million dollars isn't really the answer either. But the team never say it was done, it was said it doesn't like the prices of the players out there. But then again, no one seems to like the prices if these players are still unsigned. Moreover, I'd be very hesitant on relying on a rookie to step right in and start. Sure, some do. But some do not, as even first rounders bust. So getting draft picks probably isn't the answer either. Particularly at certain positions, like TE, where rookies notoriously struggle.

Just now, bowhunter said:

Is raiding someones practice squad possible during the off season? Kyle Lauletta ended up on the Eagle PS after the Giants released him. I think he'd be a good addition to our one person stable of QBs

Pretty sure there is no practice squad, they get signed to the roster during the offseason when the new league year starts, not 100%.

FA isn’t done by no means and players will continue to be cut before and after the draft. I think our defense has improved but the question is how much and which players take a step forward. It’s good not to see any aging players signed ala Darius Slay. I want hungry younger players who want to prove something. A lot of one year deals so if they do well we will need to pony up next year. 

Still holding out hope for Perriman or Funchess. 

Archived