Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Price is all relative. Whats good for you may not be good for someone else. Would I have liked it to be lower? absolutely. But as others have mentioned already, he knows the system, is young, has proven to be a competent backup, is cheap and provides some real competition for DH. Lot's to like here. We'll probably trade down that second 4th and recoup it, plus whatever we get from Trent and Dunny adds on to our draft haul. Its a savvy move, imo.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I agree that I was hoping (and even assumed) we had given up a 6th or 7th or maybe a low rounder in the 2021 draft...was not happy it was a 5th.

But also thought about it as if we had just drafted Kyle Allen with our 5th rounder lol...There would still be those who felt he could have still been available in the 6th or 7th round (reasonable take) or even as a UDFA, so we paid too much to draft him. Fair enough. But no other QB in the 6th or 7th round will come with 2 years of built-in NFL experience and familiarity with the offensive scheme, so I would also get drafting him higher than expected. Plus if he's a UDFA there's no guarantee he agrees to sign here. I mean, I don't like the 5th but it's not pissing me off, either lol...(not saying it's pissing you off, by the way).

Well, would you rather spend a 6th on a Kyle Allen that’s never played in the NFL so you don’t know what he’s capable of or would you use a 5th on one who’s at least shown he won’t be a complete failure If called upon?

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Bringing Kyle Allen is exactly the kind of move Haskins would be on board with I would think. Someone he can lean on re the system but who is not challenging his role or need for the majority of snaps.

And you are right about Cam - but that was my point as well. If you decide you need someone to come in and start at QB you sign a starter, not a backup.

Kyle Allen is not some aging Vet though like Colt McCoy.... Kyle Allen, I assume, is still out there to prove he can be a capable starter in this league. Ask him the same question and I doubt he'd tell you he's just coming here to help Haskins learn the playbook...

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is a fleecing that really feels like it happened because an inexperienced OC had to get his guy.

Big difference between a 32 year old OT who wants $20M a year and has been injured often and a 26 year old backup QB on $600K a year. I do tend to agree with you on the price being high, but I struggle with equating giving up a 5th round pick and being fleeced.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some people here were jazzed when we drafted Tim Settle in the 5th, or Holcomb in the 5th or Kelvin Harmon in the 6th, etc.  The odds that a player of that caliber lands with the 2nd pick in the 5th is very good IMO.   

I can name a lot of players we drafted as well that late they didn’t pan out. Chances are guys that late don’t. 

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Kyle Allen is not some aging Vet though like Colt McCoy.... Kyle Allen, I assume, is still out there to prove he can be a capable starter in this league. Ask him the same question and I doubt he'd tell you he's just coming here to help Haskins learn the playbook...

I'm sure he wouldn't think of himself in that way. But that is the reality of the role he will start with here. What he and Haskins make their relative opportunities will decide what happens from there.

So, our players, coaches, and Front Office consist of a combination of 3-13 Redskins, and 5-11  Panthers.

That equates to about an aggregate record of 4-12 in 2020.

Yes, we will add more players through the draft and FA. But who's picking those NEW players ? Ex-Panthers' people.

Yes, Panthers were 15-1, at one point. But that was a long time ago. Not really relevant. What have they done lately ?

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Bringing Kyle Allen is exactly the kind of move Haskins would be on board with I would think. Someone he can lean on re the system but who is not challenging his role or need for the majority of snaps.

And you are right about Cam - but that was my point as well. If you decide you need someone to come in and start at QB you sign a starter, not a backup.

While I kind of agree with you at the same time we shouldn't be basing our personnel decisions on the possible hurt feelings of our 2nd year QB who has proven nothing  

Just now, Number 44 said:

It seems that everyone agrees that starting quarterback is the most important position in the NFL, yet some here seem to think that backup quarterback just doesn't matter.  

No one said it doesn't matter, but it's not a high priority when you have a ton of holes and are the second worst team in the NFL. It is also questionable how many resources you'd want to spend on the position given the fact you can sign back-ups for no draft picks like Blake Bortles. Yeah, Bortles isn't great either. But if the choice is Bortles and a fifth or Kyle Allen, which one do you choose?

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So, our players, coaches, and Front Office consist of a combination of 3-13 Redskins, and 5-11  Panthers.

That equates to about an aggregate record of 4-12 in 2020.

I know I don’t have to tell you this cuz you seem smart...but that’s not how any of this works.

1 minute ago, Number 44 said:

It seems that everyone agrees that starting quarterback is the most important position in the NFL, yet some here seem to think that backup quarterback just doesn't matter.  

The whispered truth is they don't to an extent. The reality is very few teams can survive their starting QB going down.

There are not 32 quality starting QBs to go around so what do you think that means for the backups? 

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That equates to about an aggregate record of 5-11 in 2020.

Yes, we will add more players through the draft and FA. But who's picking those NEW players ? Ex-Panthers' people.

Yes, Panthers were 15-1, at one point. But that was a long time ago. Not really relevant. What have they done lately ?

Does this mean that the Skins with Bruce Allen, Doug Williams, Jay Gruden, and Greg Manusky/Joe Barry (take your pick) were better than what we have now?

17 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

Lemme ask you, if they used the 5th rounder on a QB with no NFL experience, would you be okay with it?

Nope.  It wouldn't make much sense IMO to double down on a rookie QB to be the backup for Haskins.   So I doubt that was their Plan B.   In the 5th round I really doubt BPA would be a rookie QB so yeah I'd probably pan it if they took lets say Nate Stanley over someone like Duvernay or Hopkins, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

While I kind of agree with you at the same time we shouldn't be basing our personnel decisions on the possible hurt feelings of our 2nd year QB who has proven nothing  

No. But maybe you do base it on supporting the development of the QB you drafted in the first round last year and who the current staff have apparently decided is the guy they want to work with.

Barnwell has spoken.

I don't like giving up draft picks for players of that caliber when another way to grab one is to sign him from a lower league. Rhule is quite familiar with Walker, who started every one of his 28 wins while the two were at Temple. The XFL didn't name an MVP for their abbreviated season, but Walker would have been the popular pick after throwing 15 touchdowns against just four picks. The Panthers will likely carry both Grier and Walker on their roster in 2020, but the order in which they sit behind Teddy Bridgewater will likely depend on a preseason competition.

I kind of agree with him.  Allen is ok, he has some upside but there are other ways to find a guy like that without giving up the pick.

I suppose you have to weigh the whole "he knows the system" thing...which, to me, is overblown and overhyped.  Allen can be a good backup but..ugh, still don't like giving up the 5th.  And then if there's someone there in the 5th round that you want on draft day, you gotta swing a trade.  

Archived