Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Barnwell has spoken.

I kind of agree with him.  Allen is ok, he has some upside but there are other ways to find a guy like that without giving up the pick.

I suppose you have to weigh the whole "he knows the system" thing...which, to me, is overblown and overhyped.  Allen can be a good backup but..ugh, still don't like giving up the 5th.  And then if there's someone there in the 5th round that you want on draft day, you gotta swing a trade.  

Trade Trent Williams for a 3rd and another mid-round pick next year. You got your backup QB who knows the system, a malcontent off the team, and an extra 3rd this year...and all it cost you was swallowing a little pride and a 5th rounder. And....if you wanna jump up into the 2nd round you can use a 3rd and a 4th to try and swing the deal and still have a 3rd and 4th round pick leftover to use yourself.

giphy.gif

...of course, they could have still done that AND kept their 5th round pick...

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That means unless you have a great team you are screwed if your starter goes down anyway so Bortles or this guy won't make a difference.  So they should have saved the pick.

Well you do need someone to hold a clip board and take a snap without anyone falling around laughing (can I remind you of Mark Sanchez?). And someone who knows the system is better there than someone who doesn't.

Carolina did us a favour by tendering Allen as an ERFA to take him off the market, then ship the ideal backup QB to us on a 600k contract whilst we eat Alex Smith contract, and we don’t think that’s worth a 5th.

Marginal, I agree, but it seems like an amicable trade for us. That tends to come at a slightly higher price than ideal.

34 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

So the Panthers got a higher price for Allen than they will for their starting QB who's a former league MVP? Crazy world. 

It is strange! But than you factor in Cam is still not healthy (possibly?) and is due like $20M this year. 

5 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

What is everyone’s thoughts on the Bucs signing Brady.

Dude...we're in the middle of a meltdown here over a backup QB and a 5th round pick that was destined to be a HOF'er. We don't have time to talk about the Bucs!!! Sheesh.

And Brady playing for the Bucs is too bizarre to contemplate!!!

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Counter point, this is one of the deeper drafts historically so at WR, the odds that you can get a good Wr in that round is pretty good.   So I am not looking at this in theory but  specific to this draft.   

Counter point: even a pretty good WR in the 5th round has a hit probability of something like 20% to stick around for 3 years. 

Nobody knows what the draft will hold.  History is littered with examples of drafts that were highly rated, and they just completely fell flat.  Other times, you randomly get a position which was considered a weakness going in, and you get some late round gems out of nowhere.

We needed a QB who could start immediately if Haskins isn't ready, and one who can probably help him understand the offense.  We weren't going to go in for one of the top QBs, and the second/third tier QBs all just stunk.  

Personally, I like the move of adding depth to the most important position on the field rather than taking a flier on a guy who probably can't beat out Harmon to play offense in year 1, and ends up as a ST guy for a year or two.  

They can pick up an extra pick somewhere along the way in the draft.  Trade back a few spots in the 3rd or 4th and they might pick up a 5th.  They also could end up with 2 additional picks if they manage to move Trent and/or Dunny.

40 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

We had one healthy QB on the roster lol...I'd say backup QB was a gigantic hole.

Well..considering the back-up QB might not take a single snap, it's not that big of a hole. But no one's advocating not signing a back-up QB. Simply pointing out there are far cheaper ways to do so. With players just as good as (and better than) Allen. 

On 1/9/2020 at 10:19 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Our new OC was very instrumental in getting Kyle Allen to the Panthers.

Whilst Allen is an exclusive rights FA and quite easy from them to hold onto, he may well be let go under their new regime or we could get him in here via trade for a late round pick at most I'd say.

Could be a cost effective back up to Haskins, with familiarity in the system and with the staff, if that is the desired option.

Turner is a very big fan of Kyle Allen’s. 

Haskins isn’t out of the woods yet.

18 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Montae Nicholson cut

I've found my first crack in my trust for RR unless someone can explain this to me. RR just said in an interview that "my staff doesn't know these guys yet" when asked about why Dunbar hasn't been offered an extension. RR said he wants to see these guys at minicamp before deciding.

So, how can he cut 5 db's including last years starting safety unless he knows what he has in these guys? He can't have it both ways. i think he knows exactly what he has in Dunbar and the rest of the team. If you don't know guys then how can you justify bringing in free agents? 

I'm not complaining but I'm not buying all of what RR is selling across the board.

What if they had taken a developmental QB in the 5th round and then he flamed out in a couple of years? No one would question that.  I don't think this is a bad compensation for Allen given he has been in the system for 2 years and can be a spot starter if needed.  Also if he beats out Haskins we will know that he isn't meant to be a starter in this league. 

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Counter point: even a pretty good WR in the 5th round has a hit probability of something like 20% to stick around for 3 years. 

Many who follow the draft closely (including old timers who has been involved in decades of drafts like Gil Brandt) believe you can find a 2nd-3rd round type WR in the 4th-5th round in this draft.  No one was saying the same last year or the year's before draft was historic as to the WR position.  If you don't believe that and prefer to have theoretical conversations about what a 5th rounder have meant historically -- cool.  I just want to double down why that argument has no meaning to me.  Every draft to me isn't the same.

I am the same dude who was begging them to take McLaurin in the 3rd before we took him and Harmon before we took him.  I've gotten some wrong, too.  But I do believe this draft is much more special than last years draft at WR and its not even close.  I don't care about what happen in 2017 or whatever as part of that discussion, its irrelevant to me.  

Heck I can even just throw that argument out the window and say would you trade Holcomb straight up for Allen or Settle?  The 5th round isn't that much of a flier when you got a dude who is really good at drafting, and we got Kyle Smith who has killed it with his last two 5th rounders.

If they gave up a 7th for him, I'd be fine.  But a high 5th to me is overpayment.  And we are already missing some picks.  If there is a draft to double down on in the mid rounds versus cutting picks IMO its this draft.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I've found my first crack in my trust for RR unless someone can explain this to me. RR just said in an interview that "my staff doesn't know these guys yet" when asked about why Dunbar hasn't been offered an extension. RR said he wants to see these guys at minicamp before deciding.

So, how can he cut 5 db's including last years starting safety unless he knows what he has in these guys? He can't have it both ways. i think he knows exactly what he has in Dunbar and the rest of the team. If you don't know guys then how can you justify bringing in free agents? 

I'm not complaining but I'm not buying all of what RR is selling across the board.

only just announced the Davis signing today. Likely just cleared his physical in the current circumstances. Montae is expendable at that point.

Archived