Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So now we have both the Coach who got fired from Carolina, and the QB who was a primary reason for him getting fired.

It is very likely that offseason workouts as well as training camp is effected by this virus.  The best thing we can do is bring in people who can walk into practice and understand the system.  I imagine that the NFL is going to allow teams to distribute playbooks, hold web meetings, and do things to get the players involved, but they can't practice.  It's very possible that Haskins doesn't take a single actual rep in this offense until the first week of the preseason, depending on the training camp format.  Having someone like Kyle Allen is actually very valuable this year, as were in a very unique situation. 

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Why do you not want this to be true?  He sucks, but we do need a healthy backup for Haskins...which Alex Smith probably isn't.  If it's for a 7th rounder...then who cares?

We should set the bar for a #2 QB. to be more than just a "healthy QB"

In the NFL there is a high chance that a #2 QB will see significant playing time, and in the NFL, it takes more than health to win football games.

And it's not a 7th rounder

9 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

FA isn’t done by no means and players will continue to be cut before and after the draft. I think our defense has improved but the question is how much and which players take a step forward. It’s good not to see any aging players signed ala Darius Slay. I want hungry younger players who want to prove something. A lot of one year deals so if they do well we will need to pony up next year.

But our offense has NOT improved...that idea was to surround Haskins with more protection and playmakers.

Just now, Redskinzfan30 said:

A 5th round pick? Color me not enthused. All I’ve seen from Ron so far is that he wants his Carolina guys here in DC. It’s the new Tampa connection 

Because he wants to bring in a few players on one year deals that know his system and can help implement it with the players already here?

Just now, Redskinzfan30 said:

A 5th round pick? Color me not enthused. All I’ve seen from Ron so far is that he wants his Carolina guys here in DC. It’s the new Tampa connection 

I seriously dont think were looking at things the right way. 

We are almost GUARANTEED to not have any OTAs this year

We LIKELY dont have any Mini Camps

We LIKELY dont have a full training camp

ITS POSSIBLE that we don't even have a full slate of preseason games.  

This is a multi year rebuild, so adding people that River and Turner can apply to the meeting rooms that don't need that learning curve, helps bring the rest of the team along.  The Carolina connection has been a very inexpensive one.  If we were bringing in Cam, overpaying for Funchess, paid too much for Olsen, then yes, i would agree... but these are cheap and easy moves to bring in a bunch of people who don't have to start from scratch. 

34 minutes ago, nickel7168 said:

IF Rivera is basically "done" with Free Agency, that tells me that his plan

is to trade our #2 draft pick for a package of three 1st and 2nd round picks 
that can fill some of the holes with players who can possibly start. What other
option is left?  Too bad the TE crop in the draft is weak.

People who think the remaining FAs are all average or mediocre players need
to look at the backups we have penciled as starters already.  What the FAs are..
is overpriced which I think Rivera interprets as greedy and unworthy.  Seems like 
kind of hard ass to me...I haven't drank the Rivera Kool-Aid just yet.

If we're not going to be a contending team in 20/21, why would we need the best 
pass rush in the NFL when our young QB has no starting TE to throw to and no
starting LT to protect his butt and help open holes for what looks to be a good
RB group.  We already have two excellent Edge rushers and a couple of other 
promising ones.  Do we have a hole for Chase Young to fill...no...even if he is 
the next Lawrence Taylor.

As far as the backup QB, I believe that the last and cheapest FA veteran 
remaining is who Rivera will sign.  But it might not be someone to push or challenge
Haskins, or to start if he craps out or gets hurt the way Keenum could have.  That 
was the orig. plan, right?  But if he's done w free agency, and skipped over the ones 
that already signed, then that plan was bogus.  Same with the veteran WR plan.
We offered Cooper a gazillion $ but there isn't one other really good WR in FA we could start?

It kinda tells me his expectations for this year are in check and he doesnt wanna throw good money at the players that are left.  Especially when next year's free agency class is much stronger and deeper than this one.  They will have preserved some space for 2021, rather than tie it up with guys they arent in love with in 2020.

If they come out of the draft with Young, a starting TE, and a left tackle prospect, that's probably as good as they can do.

Man ES just LOVES to Hate. How can anyone be mad at this move. 5th rounder for a QB that isnt a threat to Haskins and can actually help teach him the system. He is a really good and cheap back up QB. In fact one of our main problems has been injuries and depth and I have seen up fixing depth and leadership. You can not expect the team to be fixed in one offseason. Skins will have money next offseason since they didnt over spend on players. I'm happy with our moves. I did wish to get Hooper but that's okay. 

I've been all aboard riding with Haskins as the starter and bringing in a backup that can handle starting 2-3 games if needed and have a reasonable expectation to produce...prefer that FAR more than bringing in Cam, Rivers, Winston, or drafting Tua, as "competition". So Allen fits that bill rather well in my eyes. Do not like that it's a 5th, though...was hoping for a 6th or 7th or even a 5th next year. He's young enough to still improve and showed promise as at least being serviceable, and he's familiar with Rivera and Turner which should speed up the learning curve (and could help speed up Haskins' learning curve as well).

Archived