Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Yeah, I think the price is a little high, but I also remember when Cam first went down this kid actually produced pretty well. So well, the talk on the national level was whether Allen was going to supplant Cam and would Cam never get his job back. So, my guess is that Kyle Allen is a solid back up in the McCoy/Keenum mold except that he has experience, including starter's experience, in Turner's offense.

Moderately over spent, but if we took a fifth round flier on a qb to back up Haskins no one would bat an eye.

6 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

So, Carolina is forced to get rid of QB's and the league knows it. (They had 5 on the roster) Yet they still manage a 5th rounder from us? Hope its just a swap on draft positioning.... otherwise, not much has changed with this organization

I dont hate this move. Solid IMO though I tend to agree a 5th was a bit steep - we get a guy who knows the system, has 13 starts (with 6 wins) and has played solid football. Hes coming here to backup Haskins and push him but also gives us someone who can help Haskins and the rest of the O with the playbook. We were probably going to have to draft a QB anyway as a developmental player and its odds on Kyle Allen is better than whatever we could have drafted.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Which is why giving up a 5th rounder in a CB/WR deep draft is a tougher pill to swallow. Of course, that's just in my opinion. 

we already have a ton of young mid to late round CB/WR talent

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Which is why giving up a 5th rounder in a CB/WR deep draft is a tougher pill to swallow. Of course, that's just in my opinion. 

Yeah that's my take, too, this is looking like a stacked draft. a 5th rounder could mean someone like Bryan Edwards or Bryce Hopkins.   So while I don't hate the move, I don't like it either.  And I've been defending their FA season -- and I still will but overall "meh" to me on that move specifically.  

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I sure hope so.

Earlier, I was very much in favor of trading the #2 pick.

NOW ? I see it as mandatory.

Nah.  Because you don't have a 5th round pick you're going to panic and pass up on a generational pass rushing prospect?  

Please.  We're not trading out of #2.  We're going to pick Chase Young.  And Kyle Allen will probably be the opening day starter.  

8 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Ron is a ****ing tool. Literally the same GM as Shanahan, Scot, and Bruce.

Nah. Shanahan and Bruce would have given up a 2nd. They gave up a second for McNabb and then they gave up a second for Smith. Shannahan and Bruce would have traded a second for Cam Newton.

1 minute ago, carex said:

we already have a ton of young mid to late round CB/WR talent

Let me follow up for you. I only listed two positions, but tight ends, linebackers, tackle, etc., will all have some depth there most likely. Maybe even running back. It's a loaded depth draft.

I swear you follow me around. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't love it because I want more picks not less.   Having said that, I presume Turner knows Kyle Allen well so I am guessing he pushed this.  Will see.

I don't like the move either.  A lower draft pick got Baltimore Calais Campbell...

Allen isn't the right kind of QB depth either IMO.  He's almost as inexperienced as Haskins.  If Haskins goes down, Allen isn't going to save our season.  I was looking for a vet caretaker who could basically Alex Smith the offense if he got into the game.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nah.  Because you don't have a 5th round pick you're going to panic and pass up on a generational pass rushing prospect?  

No, no no.

It's not merely the 5th rounder all by itself.

It's the accumulated compounding of things.

For one thing, we don't have a 2nd rounder either...in a TOP HEAVY draft, for a team that has multiple holes to fill.

That is huge.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Nah. Shanahan and Bruce would have given up a 2nd. They gave up a second for McNabb and then they gave up a second for Smith. Shannahan and Bruce would have traded a second for Cam Newton.

This move is the equivalent of that. Allen is a practice squad level QB.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Let me follow up for you. I only listed two positions, but tight ends, linebackers, tackle, etc., will all have some depth there most likely. Maybe even running back. It's a loaded depth draft.

Restraining orders aren't always effective.

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Counter point: we need a backup QB, and a 5th round pick is typically a special team player at best their rookie year and MIGHT develop into a rotational starter.  Most likely out of the league and won't get a second contract within 3 years.

Counter point, this is one of the deeper drafts historically so at WR, the odds that you can get a good Wr in that round is pretty good.   So I am not looking at this in theory but  specific to this draft.   

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I sure hope so.

Not convinced giving up a 5th round pick makes trading down from #2 overall mandatory. Think of it this way: had they spent their 5th round pick on a promising QB to be Haskins' eventual backup, we'd be in the same spot we are now. if we did that, I don't think anyone would be saying "Well if they were gonna draft a QB in the 5th they should have traded down."

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I sure hope so.

You think trading a 5th round pick for a young backup QB (when you probably had to use a late pick on a developmental QB anyway) changes draft strategy? I disagree.

I don't think anything that has happened in free agency changes our draft board or strategy - we could still trade back if someone throws us a whole bunch of picks/players but I still think thats very unlikely and not been made more likely.

Just now, JoggingGod said:

This move is the equivalent of that. Allen is a practice squad level QB.

I don't entirely disagree. In fact, I mostly agree.  I'd have preferred a conditional 6th, but I can see some benefits to the player himself.

1) He is the only player to know the system and since we didn't bring in many players that may have value especially this year when we will likely not have May Mini Camps and much of the offseason might get cancelled.

2) He started out hot and won six games. There was even talk he'd permanently supplant Cam he was doing so well before the Panthers fell apart.

3) We need a back up and getting another McCoy/Keenum is probably what the doctor ordered if the team thinks Haskins can emerge.

Just now, MartinC said:

You think trading a 5th round pick for a young backup QB (when you probably had to use a late pick on a developmental QB anyway) changes draft strategy? I disagree.

I don't think anything that has happened in free agency changes or draft board or strategy - we could still trade back if someone throws us a whole bunch of picks/players but I still think thats very unlikely and not been made more likely.

Like I said earlier, it's not a singular incident by itself, it's the accumulating culmination of incidents.

Keep in mind, for one thing, we do not have a 2nd rounder.

There will be 1st round quality players available in the 2nd round that we desperately need, with all of our holes

After the 2nd round, the talent dropoff is considerable.

If we somehow obtain a 2nd rounder this year, I may change my tune.

The Redskins wanted to add a quarterback who could start if needed, but who also knew how to handle a backup role. They weren't going to add someone just because they knew Scott Turner's offense. But in landing Kyle Allen, they get someone who has started 13 games in his first two seasons in Turner's offense. Allen can compete with Dwayne Haskins for the job, but also provide a knowledgeable voice in the meeting rooms -- and, perhaps, help him in the absence of offseason workouts.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer11m ago

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I dont hate this move. Solid IMO though I tend to agree a 5th was a bit steep - we get a guy who knows the system, has 13 starts (with 6 wins) and has played solid football. Hes coming here to backup Haskins and push him but also gives us someone who can help Haskins and the rest of the O with the playbook. We were probably going to have to draft a QB anyway as a developmental player and its odds on Kyle Allen is better than whatever we could have drafted. 

I wouldn't have wanted to draft a QB in this class.  I strongly felt that we needed a vet, and we have the cap space to get someone better than Kyle Allen without giving up a draft pick in the process.

This was not a good trade.  Giving up picks for back ups is rarely a good idea, but it feels particularly bad when we have so much cap space available.  It was an imprudent move, surprising given the relative value they'd been getting from their FA money.  But I'm guessing it was done to throw a bone to Scott Turner in case he had trouble teaching Haskins the system.

25 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Man ES just LOVES to Hate. How can anyone be mad at this move. 5th rounder for a QB that isnt a threat to Haskins and can actually help teach him the system. He is a really good and cheap back up QB. In fact one of our main problems has been injuries and depth and I have seen up fixing depth and leadership. You can not expect the team to be fixed in one offseason. Skins will have money next offseason since they didnt over spend on players. I'm happy with our moves. I did wish to get Hooper but that's okay. 

Great points.

I don't know why some folks don't get it. This is a good addition. It is a guy who has shown he can play. He knows the system. Plus the team needs depth.

And he is better than anyone they could've drafted this year unless they draft the top 4 QBs.

I am glad we have departed from the, "we are a few pieces away" mantra in signing free agents.

We need a total 180-degree turn in philosophy and approach. Sign players who might not be known but are known when you watch game tape. 

Overpaying for free agents just to get butts on the seat is only good for opening day. 

YOU NEED DEPTH. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

there's only so many very active pages

Archived