Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Was a line guy for a long time and lemme tell ya... trying to get a read on line play from the broadcast view is maddening.

I find it difficult too.  Sometimes I have to rewind a snap 8 or 9 times just because an OL will get mixed up in the noise at the line of scrimmage and my eye can't follow him well.  The key is to slow the video down to half speed.  But the downside with that is it becomes harder to get a feel for the speed of the game since your eye gets used to seeing things at a certain pace.

But as challenging as the broadcast view is for the line of scrimmage part of the game, it's the worst for trying to watch secondary players.  Half the time they disappear and you can't see anything.

If Dunbar was so confident he’s that good and not injury prone then he should bet on himself for the year and get that monster contract he apparently think he’s entitled to. 

The fact he wants it ASAP makes me feel as if he’s not as confident in either of those as he claims to be.

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If Dunbar was so confident he’s that good and not injury prone then he should bet on himself for the year and get that monster contract he apparently think he’s entitled to. 

The fact he wants it ASAP makes me feel as if he’s not as confident in either of those as he claims to be.

He overcame the nerve issue and has played lights out for 2 years.  He has outplayed every contract while watching Norman play horribly and get paid, Collins cash in, and other inferior players cash in.  He's just ready to get paid.  

Not very patient and I don't blame him.....his agent just hasn't put him in a good position.  I wish we could get him back; not too many 6'2 corners with ball skills and speed readily available.  Maybe he's not a scheme fit.  Who knows?   History of playing special teams, seemed to be a good locker room guy as well.  All I know is that Fuller has some big shoes to fill.

4 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

He overcame the nerve issue and has played lights out for 2 years.  He has outplayed every contract while watching Norman play horribly and get paid, Collins cash in, and other inferior players cash in.  He's just ready to get paid.  

Not very patient and I don't blame him.....his agent just hasn't put him in a good position.  I wish we could get him back; not too many 6'2 corners with ball skills and speed readily available.  Maybe he's not a scheme fit.  Who knows?   History of playing special teams, seemed to be a good locker room guy as well.  All I know is that Fuller has some big shoes to fill.

He’s played 18 out of 36 games the last 2 years, and according to him and his disdain for the team doctors, he shouldn’t have even played that many.

Few teams are going to spend top dollar on him until he can prove durable. Sounds like he doesn’t think that’s realistic hence why he wants to get paid now. Rather not risk it and take tier 2 money because if he has another injury plagued season he’ll never get more than one year deals. No team right now can trust that he can fill whatever role he’s signed to fill.

One full year of good football is more valuable than half a year of great football.

22 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Has he asked for a “monster” or “top dollar” deal?

I can understand if he feels like he has outperformed his contract and/or doesn’t want to go into a contract year with no guaranteed money.  

Good point. Who knows what he’s asking for. 

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I find it difficult too.  Sometimes I have to rewind a snap 8 or 9 times just because an OL will get mixed up in the noise at the line of scrimmage and my eye can't follow him well.  The key is to slow the video down to half speed.  But the downside with that is it becomes harder to get a feel for the speed of the game since your eye gets used to seeing things at a certain pace.

But as challenging as the broadcast view is for the line of scrimmage part of the game, it's the worst for trying to watch secondary players.  Half the time they disappear and you can't see anything.

Even with coaches film the secondary is the hardest to gauge. My method, which is flawed inherently because we can’t be sure if scheme (but we can make educated guesses) is to watch the play in coaches film if available, take an educated guess on coverage (most of the time I can pretty much get this, but there are some that are puzzling) and then...

My favorite part if there’s a big gain...

Watch the broadcast feed and see who is giving who dirty looks to affirm fault :ols:

If their dirty looks don’t match my assumptions I usually just move on and ignore the play because it would take a lot longer to figure it out :ols:

XFL guys I’m looking at:

Darnell Parham (TE, former Skin, not the answer necessarily but he has some experience now)

Nelson Spruce, Cam Phillips (WR)

PJ Walker, Jordan Ta’amu (QB)

There’s a few others, but those are the ones I would put the most interest in.

31 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

So today is the day teams can sign XFL guys.  I think there are a couple who fill some roles for the Skins.

Be pretty wild if the Skins signed them both as P.J. Walker was his QB and is highly mentioned as a QB that should attract interest.  :) We know that RR wants a vet QB but Walker would be an interesting vet to sit behind Haskins.  At least bring him into camp and see what he's got.  

13 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

Martinez was not the answer, he makes a lot of tackles but they're 5+ yards down the field. He reminds me of a slightly faster Will Compton. Just not good enough for the $$ he would command. Bostic was better than Foster, but I agree, he was not  the answer either. Serviceable yes, but answer? No.

IMO Martinez > Bostic, however he is not the best answer. This was more my feeling based on frustration over so many roster needs and no good remedies being available via FA. I need to invoke more patience like the Redskins are doing. There will be more available as we approach the draft and following. Same goes for the handing of TW and Dun, more patience! I just need to keep repeating that.

Wish they showed a little more patience with Bruce Allen and traded him for a bag of peanuts to the Cowboys 

35 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Be pretty wild if the Skins signed them both as P.J. Walker was his QB and is highly mentioned as a QB that should attract interest.  :) We know that RR wants a vet QB but Walker would be an interesting vet to sit behind Haskins.  At least bring him into camp and see what he's got.  

Unfortunately, Skins aren't on the list.

Building depth: Washington has been among the NFL teams hardest hit by injuries over the past three seasons, so its depth has repeatedly been tested. The Redskins added depth without creating contract risks, allowing for future flexibility. The most expensive outside free agent -- Fuller -- can play any cornerback spot and some safety.

Too often in the past, even when the Redskins tried to be more prudent, they'd spend big money on players who did not in turn give them big-money performance. For example, Josh Norman's play, while solid at times, did not reach the level of him being the NFL's highest-paid cornerback. It's one reason Washington stayed away from big-name free agents this offseason. Too often in their eyes, the players' value didn't match the contract. Of the 11 transactions this offseason, it's possible only four or five end up starting.

Eyeing the draft: In 2017, without adequate offensive line depth, the Redskins turned to rookie free agents who weren't ready. It wasn't ideal. That's why they sought help in free agency this year, signing two offensive linemen who provide depth (Cornelius Lucas and Wes Schweitzer).

If they hadn't done so, the Redskins would have felt compelled to draft one -- perhaps in the middle rounds. Their focus now can be selecting a player they want, not one viewed as a need. There isn't a position Washington would not address in the draft, even if it signed someone at the spot last week. The Redskins prefer to build through the draft and complement the roster via free agency.

Veteran voice: Linebacker Thomas Davis, 37, was once a standout under Rivera in Carolina. With Washington, he's almost at the end of a solid career. The Redskins have a young team and could have as many as seven defensive starters 26-years-old or younger. They need Davis to provide leadership and serve as a messenger for Rivera's system. But they will also need him to make plays.

Remaining moves

Left tackle Trent Williams and cornerback Quinton Dunbar both want out; both are under contract for 2020. The Minnesota Vikings, Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Los Angeles Chargers all make sense for Williams, and there's a chance others are involved. The Redskins would like a second-round pick -- or a starter -- but also know they might have to be flexible. The first step remains Williams agreeing to financial terms with a team.

Dunbar's situation will be trickier; he also wants a new contract, but is not a seven-time Pro Bowler like Williams. Dunbar has played well when healthy -- he has length and speed -- but has missed a combined 14 games the past two seasons because of injuries. The Redskins have been willing to field calls about him since free agency began.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39752/redskins-moves-reveal-confidence-in-dwayne-haskins-desire-for-depth

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The passing game is the big reason I like going to games.  The runs tend to be players smashing together and you really can't see if it's a 2 yard gain or 4.   But you can see the pass patterns develop and the secondary play, of course you can see the timing patterns and how the QB throws before the receiver turns which is something TV does not capture.

Every now and then I see a game where they pan the camera back at the snap. I love that. They can't pan all the way to the deep safety but you can often see the short patterns from both ends and it's much better.  

It’s amazing more people don’t realize that. Rivera has no ties to Dunbar or Williams. He sees their film and likes them or doesn’t. But when they demand more money and they have been injured often, to a guy coming in and evaluating, you don’t jump on that necessarily unless you know the player from previous networks.

You can’t necessarily blame the guys wanting more money, but you also don’t have to give it to them. If you’re trying to set a culture you can move on. Or... you let them seek trades and let them see their actual market value. Then you sit and talk again.

I still think they’re playing this whole thing smart after Bruce flubbed the 71 situation.

The Redskins, who have more than $30 million remaining on the cap, sill need to add a veteran backup QB, and veteran starters at TE, WR,  OL, and now, CB.  You won’t find any veteran starters in the draft.
They want -- and need -- to surround Haskins with more talent.

As far as Cam Phillips goes his production could easily be indicative of the dearth of secondary talent in the XFL, specifically corner backs with man coverage skills. 

There aren't many correlates for successful 6'0'', 199 lb, wide receivers that run 4.79 in the NFL.

Still, given his production, he's worth a camp invite, at the right price.

The Dunbar situation is interesting mainly because it creates an immediate hole at CB. BUT, going into the season with Dunbar on a final year contract created a long-term hole at the position, especially with Moreau also on the final year of his rookie deal.

Trading Dunbar for a pick now let's you address the position in the draft and add talent. But I don't think we're going to get many bites on Dunbar, especially since most teams will likely want him to pass a physical.

14 minutes ago, nickel7168 said:

The Redskins, who have more than $30 million remaining on the cap, sill need to add a veteran backup QB, and veteran starters at TE, WR,  OL, and now, CB.  You won’t find any veteran starters in the draft.
They want -- and need -- to surround Haskins with more talent.

How does that rank around the league? I know we were in the top half when we started but haven't been spending much. Trying to see if we'll be bigger players as less teams have cap space. 

1 minute ago, TerrificTim said:

How does that rank around the league? I know we were in the top half when we started but haven't been spending much. Trying to see if we'll be bigger players as less teams have cap space. 

great ques.  Not sure if that info is avail. anywhere.  Further complication is that all contracts/signings are subject to physicals which cannot be undertaken...someone, or more, may not fly.

"bigger players as less teams have cap space"  may be exactly what Skins are waiting for, and for asking prices come down.

9 hours ago, nonniey said:

No but he probably is considered to be very good and starter material so a 2d is probably the right value.  Frankly I thing he'd a steal for only a 2d round pick given his age (only if he signs and extension first though). Which is why I kind of hope we extend him.

2nd is the right value to Redskins fans. To the rest of the league he’s an injury prone, 28 year old corner who is basically known for having 4-5 good games per year, the past 2 years. You’ll be lucky to get a 4th.

Archived