Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

About a specific player? Nothing.

It says at age 30, it wasn't even worth trying to restructure. Even with all the injuries they endured in the safety and linebacker positions he wasn't worth keeping around. His own injuries certainly didn't help.

Point being he's a bad guy to take a high-priced gamble on right now.

9 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We're signing good depth guys. We'll need them when 80% of our starters get injured this year. The draft is where we'll be adding the starters, most of our roster is already set aside from Chase Young and maybe another starter or two from this draft. You can't have pro bowlers at every position, we may have to settle with a Nicholson type of player at a position or two, what we want is players behind them that won't hurt the team when/if they see the field. 

But who is a pro-bowler. If most guys are set, can we expect different results with same players? And can we expect rookies to step right in as starters? 

I'm all for building through the draft. But cap space is an asset you can you. Not spending it, is a waste of it. And ofcourse it takes two to tango. Not everybody wants to join us but I don't get a lot of signs that we try (outside Cooper). 

4 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

But who is a pro-bowler. If most guys are set, can we expect different results with same players? And can we expect rookies to step right in as starters? 

I'm all for building through the draft. But cap space is an asset you can you. Not spending it, is a waste of it. And ofcourse it takes two to tango. Not everybody wants to join us but I don't get a lot of signs that we try (outside Cooper). 

I'm not really on the side of spending for the sake of spending, but since we have guys on our roster we should be extending (Scherff, Dunbar maybe, Allen maybe), these are things we should have prioritized before free agency begun and the market reset itself. 

Just now, pcbothwel said:

For sure...thats exactly what I was saying     🙄

I mean they both played on teams with yellow uniforms so that probably didn't help.

Sean Davis seems a lot like Montae Nicholson or Troy Apke. He's got the raw size and tools, but not so much actual football skills. Small bonus that he played college at Maryland. Silver lining is that Davis seemed to get somewhat better after he switched full time to free safety and then missed last year almost entirely (so maybe he would have got even better). And Davis already looks better than Nicholson or Apke. So it's an improvement. I'm guess the "up to $5 million" is in reality a lot less.

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Sean Davis seems a lot like Montae Nicholson or Troy Apke. He's got the raw size and tools, but not so much actual football skills. Small bonus that he played college at Maryland. Silver lining is that Davis seemed to get somewhat better after he switched full time to free safety and then missed last year almost entirely (so maybe he would have got even better). And Davis already looks better than Nicholson or Apke. So it's an improvement. I'm guess the "up to $5 million" is in reality a lot less.

It’s almost like we don’t understand what the word “safety” means.

So, recent tenuous links to 

TE Walker and Eifert

FS Randall

CB Trufant

Been chasing a vet WR. Who could be next? Maybe Anderson or a cheap deal on Funchess now. Wonder if RB being considered.

I still like DBs Worley and Phillips. Plus OL Daryl Williams.

Then we have Trent. Who and what could he bring. 

The elephant in the room is still Cam.

18 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Our team is very young, there's going to be growing pains because of it. If we draft Chase Young, Quinton Dunbar at 27 will be the oldest player on our starting defense and he came into the NFL in 2015.

Our offense is trending in the same direction with the triplets at WR, Guice, and Haskins. Realistically we don't know who is going to break out and become a pro bowl type player, but we do have a ton of young talent to work with. I also think we're being cautious of our cap number because Jonathan Allen, and possibly Quinton Dunbar if he wants to stay here are due for raises. The team seems to be going in a direction where talented youth is being vaulted into the starting positions while we have veteran depth as the backbone of our team. 

To your question I think we should expect high draft picks to start, but trending on the last 3 drafts it seems we are getting 2 to 3 starters per draft. I think that should be the expectation now with this front office. 

What if there is possibility that a trade has been made between the Dolphins and Redskins, which gives the Skins 2 1st and a 2nd round pick, which means we get 3 starters in the draft, so we can go easy with big money free agent signings. 

Just a thought 

HTTR 

38 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Davis has never done anything approaching the season Fuller had here before we dealt him to KC. That was Fuller's peak so far in the NFL and Davis hasn't been effective like that.

I'm not really concerned with how he was used or misused in KC, because we know what he did here only two short years ago and he's healthy and in his prime still at 25. A pretty safe investment.  

I actually think Sean is a pretty good investment as well.

Especially at the reported price.

Ridiculous athlete.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I actually think Sean is a pretty good investment as well.

Especially at the reported price.

Ridiculous athlete.

I think he's worth a shot, and the more incentives his contract has (and the lower the cap hit) the less it would concern me anyways.

I was just pointing out that we've already seen Fuller be an elite DB, and he's only 25. So I disagree that it could be argued that Davis has been better, even if Fuller was less good being moved around the defense in KC. 

1 hour ago, skeenzfan said:

I guess I am not as hopeful as you are. Most talented players are able to stand out and/or produce at a certain level regardless of the shortcomings of the scheme they play in. Big example would be Ioannidis. He played in the same defense yet consistently produced when on the field.  Nicholson has had 2 off-seasons to cement the starting spot and hasn't done so. Every year we are signing or drafting someone to replace or compete with him.  It seems to be Sean Davis this year. 

I guess my hope is more about Montae becoming a sound player. Being where he's suppose to be. Interceptions and all that other stuff will come. I'd like him to get to a mindset of doing his job vice trying to make a play. I want to see him taking good solid angles on Saquon, maintaining good leverage on downfield blockers and making fundamental tackles. Hell, rip him a new one if he pulls the same bull**** he pulled against the egles last year. For him, that comes with maturity and probably accountability on the part of the coaching staff and a few core players Ron has chosen to lead this team. I think Montae can develop into a solid FS. He is talented from a size/speed perspective. If he starts doing his job, he can be a really good asset. If not, he can still excel on special teams. But you don't ship him out. BTW, understanding route concepts and WR tendencies is totally different than knowing which gap to take. I like Ioannidis, but the comparison is not reasonable.

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The elephant in the room is still Cam.

Yes, yes he is.  I’m all for this move.  Much better security blanket to have then taking a QB @ 2.  Not completely sold on Haskins (just like many others on ES).  Haskins is potentially under contract for 4 more seasons, and I’d take Cam in a heartbeat to step in and start.  Has one year left on his contract, and maybe we negotiate a 3 year deal that allows us to get out after 2 with minimal detriment, especially if we don’t have to part with any picks above a 3rd rounder.  

Hell, give em Trent for all I care, I just wanna be done with that situation by now.  

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

It says at age 30, it wasn't even worth trying to restructure. Even with all the injuries they endured in the safety and linebacker positions he wasn't worth keeping around. His own injuries certainly didn't help.

Point being he's a bad guy to take a high-priced gamble on right now.

My comment was in reference to you commenting on overall defensive stats and asking what that told us about a specific player within that defense.

My answer remains zero.

Archived