Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

For years we complained about the high priced shiny toys. And than was justifiable because they mostly sucked. However this FA so far absolutely sucks. Fuller was a good signing. THOSE are the type I'm looking for, not fringe practice squad guys.

Let's face it, we've got holes at S, CB, LB, TE, LT. we have needs at WR, C, OG.

to justify dumpster diving at this point is ridiculous. Even the most rose colored homers can't expect all those needs and positions to be filled in the draft.. that is just ridiculous to expect rookies to step in at all those positions and play at a starter level.

I'll reserve judgement, but have to admit I don't see the plan and am not thrilled with it this far.

I see this approach slightly different. We wont be able to fill every hole with a pro bowl talent with free agency and the draft. If you look at the process this new regime took then the plan to me is clear.

1) evaluate current roster and make decisions on which players are the foundation. This has projection baked into the evaluation because we have young players who look to improve and we have schemes changes on both sides of the ball. For players we as fans may view as below average could perform better with this new regime.

2) Fill out depth, add competition and leadership to the roster via free agency. This isn't sexy but instead of being cash strapped in the 3rd and 4th year of this regime use this year to see which of those roster projections pan out and which dont.

3) Utilize the draft with the BPA approach given there aren't any major glaring holes. This will help us acquire high end talent and not reach for need.(Payne vs Derwin James debate)

4) We really dont know how things will mesh yet. After this year with a better understanding of the players in this scheme we can use free agency to target 1 or 2 high end players.

I think we COULD surprise this year but if we dont we still will have cap flexibility moving forward in years 2-4 of this regime. Which will allow us to resign our own as they enter their prime and continue to build via free agency and the draft. 

3 minutes ago, grego said:

What's wrong with Ebron? (serious question Cu I don't know) - Stud two years ago, fell off last year but without Luck and a now replaced Brissett, so... 

Some have said he's soft, not a willing blocker, hands have become inconsistent.   Some have said the Colts believe that he overplayed his injury last year to sit out games to get to FA.  Their GM clearly isn't a fan of the dude considering how dismissive he seemed in a press conference about bringing him back.

17 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

For years we complained about the high priced shiny toys. And than was justifiable because they mostly sucked. However this FA so far absolutely sucks. Fuller was a good signing. THOSE are the type I'm looking for, not fringe practice squad guys.

Let's face it, we've got holes at S, CB, LB, TE, LT. we have needs at WR, C, OG.

to justify dumpster diving at this point is ridiculous. Even the most rose colored homers can't expect all those needs and positions to be filled in the draft.. that is just ridiculous to expect rookies to step in at all those positions and play at a starter level.

I'll reserve judgement, but have to admit I don't see the plan and am not thrilled with it this far.

we do not have needs at C, we have signed LBs and S's and CBs

5 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

I see this approach slightly different. We wont be able to fill every hole with a pro bowl talent with free agency and the draft. If you look at the process this new regime took then the plan to me is clear.

1) evaluate current roster and make decisions on which players are the foundation. This has projection baked into the evaluation because we have young players who look to improve and we have schemes changes on both sides of the ball. For players we as fans may view as below average could perform better with this new regime.

2) Fill out depth, add competition and leadership to the roster via free agency. This isn't sexy but instead of being cash strapped in the 3rd and 4th year of this regime use this year to see which of those roster projections pan out and which dont.

3) Utilize the draft with the BPA approach given there aren't any major glaring holes. This will help us acquire high end talent and not reach for need.(Payne vs Derwin James debate)

4) We really dont know how things will mesh yet. After this year with a better understanding of the players in this scheme we can use free agency to target 1 or 2 high end players.

I think we COULD surprise this year but if we dont we still will have cap flexibility moving forward in years 2-4 of this regime. Which will allow us to resign our own as they enter their prime and continue to build via free agency and the draft. 

Great post!!! I posted the same thing two days ago, albeit not as detailed... Totally nailed it.

We now have Guice, Love, Peterson, Mckissic, and Thompson. That’s a crowded backfield. I’m sure we will draft a RB in like the 5th round also because it never fails they make a selection that makes zero sense. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably, having traced that specific tweet now.  But the dude is also telling people what Rivera thinks of Haskins versus Cam, etc.  So he is now out of the blue playing the I got sources game.  I doubt he does.  But will see.  

Wonder if this signals a trade coming with Darius Slay?  That's a lot of $$

3 minutes ago, max21 said:

We now have Guice, Love, Peterson, Mckissic, and Thompson. That’s a crowded backfield. I’m sure we will draft a RB in like the 5th round also because it never fails they make a selection that makes zero sense. 

Thompson is an FA

2 minutes ago, max21 said:

Thompson's a UFA currently unless I'm mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt it but I admit if Cam is released it will fill some time as for gossip

I believe your tweet of JD earlier sums it up. With Alex Smith still under contract as an expensive backup how could we fit in Cam Newton? Even with Haskins on a rookie deal your two remaining QBs would be paid starter money. 

While put me in the camp of in Ron-Kyle I trust so am not criticizing anything, IMO let it play out.  And I put a lot of stock in them swinging for the fences for Cooper.  They didn't get him but it shows they'd swing hard for the players they love.

Having said that, I am with Keim on the exchange below.  I've seen especially on twitter how some are celebrating that we aren't shooting hard for big time FAs for a change. But like Keim said its been a long time when they've played FA like that.

And then I see some who recognize this so are criticizing Rivera for modeling the Bruce way.  But I don't see it that way.  If they landed Cooper, we'd be signing a different tune.  Cooper and Fuller would be big signings.  Just because we don't land big fish doesn't mean they aren't trying.  Also I am not big in overpaying for players who aren't great.  I will pay though for great players in FA.   I don't mind signing good players in FA but I don't want to overpay for them. 

IMO overpay for great not good.  And make sure their character checks out.  To me the Randle El, Archuleta type signings were paying slightly above average players (at least with their former teams) like they were great -- I hate signings like that. 

the tweet that Keim responded to was about big FA signings. 

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Wonder if this signals a trade coming with Darius Slay?  That's a lot of $$

Disregard my comments, HigSkin.  I'm tired.  It very well may.  I was thinking Skins.  Sorry.  :)

6 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

I believe your tweet of JD earlier sums it up. With Alex Smith still under contract as an expensive backup how could we fit in Cam Newton? Even with Haskins on a rookie deal your two remaining QBs would be paid starter money. 

People keep saying this,who cares, Smith isnt a backup his career is over and will be off the books next year. We have the cap space and it isnt like we are paying 2 QBs 18 mil to compete against each other.

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I figured the McKissic signing will finally assuage the naysayers claiming where are the big signings?  😏

On 8/31/2019 at 4:46 PM, volsmet said:

Explosive youngster (not kid for @Malapropismic Depository)

NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
J.D. MCKISSICRB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
11800.jpg

Seahawks waived J.D. McKissic.

The absence of McKissic is good news for both Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny's chances at receiving larger roles in the Seahawks' passing game. Overall, McKissic caught 36 passes for 282 yards and a pair of touchdowns and posted a 50-197-1 rushing line in 19 regular season games with the Seahawks over the past three seasons.

RELATED: 
Aug 31, 2019, 4:33 PM ET
  •  

Love it

Archived