Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Looks like we use FA to just fill roster. Get some completion in and put all our cards on improving through the draft. That is a big gamble when you miss a second rounder. To be honest. Today I don't see a way better team then the one we started 2019 with. Sure bit more vet depth. But that's not going to make huge jump in wins. 

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just so confused as to why we'd sign Davis for 1-year up to $5mm over Boston for 3 years, $6mm, but maybe Boston was asking for much more to leave Carolina.

Yeah you just never really know. The team could have plans to add a long-term solution in the draft and look at Davis as depth/competition.

Or they wanted Boston, but he loves Charlotte and didn't want to uproot and had a good deal on the table. Comfort is an important thing for people, so even if he loved Ron, he might prefer not to uproot his life. I think there's more to it than money, or coaching, etc.

33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Pittsburgh fans hated Sean Davis. 

Disappointing that he's the guy we tab at FS with this whole market in front of us, barely touched. 

1 year deal carries little risk, but means the cap hit is the full amount, right? Sucks to lose that chunk on a legitimately bad player. 

It said "one-year deal worth up to $5 million"...curious to see how much of the $5M is incentive-based.

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

Looks like we use FA to just fill roster. Get some completion in and put all our cards on improving through the draft. That is a big gamble when you miss a second rounder. To be honest. Today I don't see a way better team then the one we started 2019 with. Sure bit more vet depth. But that's not going to make huge jump in wins. 

Head scratcher for sure and maybe we don't know what "good culture" looks like but also what if this coaching staff sees a more talented prior roster that was not coached properly?

23 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Seem like a player with a lot of potential but needs to be coached up.  :)

He sounds like Apke

10 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Would anyone sign Clowney to 2 years 12-15 AAV and let him play OLB behind Chase Young and Montez Sweat? 

He won’t sign for that cheap and...

heeeeelllllllll no

17 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Boston signed for 3yrs/18 million.

Yeah, I was saying $6mm per year.

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah you just never really know. The team could have plans to add a long-term solution in the draft and look at Davis as depth/competition.

Or they wanted Boston, but he loves Charlotte and didn't want to uproot and had a good deal on the table. Comfort is an important thing for people, so even if he loved Ron, he might prefer not to uproot his life. I think there's more to it than money, or coaching, etc.

Right, I agree with this.  Seems odd to want to re-sign on a team that everyone knows is tanking though.  I think it's more likely we didn't offer him the same deal.

17 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Or Boston wanted multiple years and we offered only one year

Definitely possible.

The draft is where the team is going to build a winner. The only FA they felt would speed up the rebuild was Cooper and since he’s gone, they’re bringing in low level guys that hopefully want to compete and build a culture. This is good. They aren’t a threat in 2020. Keep building and splurge next offseason and hopefully we’ll have a team that is capable of competing 

19 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Kyle Smith gave an interview and said the #1 priority of FA was filling out the roster and eliminating needs so you can go pure BPA in the draft.

25 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

I tend to lean towards the all things considered approach. When I say that, I think of Sean Taylor and how early on he had some tough off the field issue. And that was with Joe Gibbs as coach. It took a little bit, but you saw who Sean became. But please for the love of God, do not misinterpret what I just said to mean that Montae is as talented as Sean or would even be a ST type. Knock it ****ing off before you start. But the all things considered approach does reign true from that standpoint. It also applies to how awful this defensive staff was. Montae wasn't the only guy out there busting coverage and mis-communicating. Rio even spoke about how bad the defense was run last year. I don't think we've seen Montae's full ability nor most of the existing players for that matter. Its the reason we're all excited about Del Rio. I don't think Montae's ceiling has been hit. But we'll see.

I guess I am not as hopeful as you are. Most talented players are able to stand out and/or produce at a certain level regardless of the shortcomings of the scheme they play in. Big example would be Ioannidis. He played in the same defense yet consistently produced when on the field.  Nicholson has had 2 off-seasons to cement the starting spot and hasn't done so. Every year we are signing or drafting someone to replace or compete with him.  It seems to be Sean Davis this year. 

38 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Feels like the Redskins are really embracing the "Plan B" philosophy.

Build through the draft and get blue collar, glue guys in free agency to fill in until you find someone great who can take over. I really don't mind this approach at all.

(Accidentally typed fee agency and it occurs to me it is a more apt description)

Interested in the thinking behind the short 1 year deals. Get the sense he's aiming for a bunch of plug and play/depth, and he views this as a long term process and doesn't want to get saddled with a pile of multi-year deals (other than Amari-Thank God that failed). 

24 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Would anyone sign Clowney to 2 years 12-15 AAV and let him play OLB behind Chase Young and Montez Sweat? 

NO He's an DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4 rush OLB I would not play him out in space to much as would be needed in you're suggestion and if we did sign him that would mean NO CHASE YOUNG LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! A we know ppl don't want that.

13 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This.

I LOVE this gamble. Loves football, speaks 3 languages, and is a SPECIMEN... Seems like a strong upside play...

BTW... In 2016, here is a comparison between him and Jalen Ramsey's SPARQ ratings (Ramsey was ranked 2nd, and Davis 4th):

Ramsey

Ht: 6'1

Wt: 209

SPARQ: 142.8

40: 4.41

3Cone: 6.94

Bench: 14

Vert: 41.5

Broad: 11.25

Davis

Ht: 6'1

Wt: 201