Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

8 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

This.

The Bears got a Tanny/Bridgewater caliber QB for less salary and FAR less guaranteed money. For a team trying to compete, giving up a 4th is worth the flexibility. 

Do you think the Vikings would pay a 4th to have Cousins at 10-20% less salary per year and his last year non-guaranteed? I do.

And the Jags werent going to release him. They would have found some team to take him as a 1-2 year bridge.

BTW, Im not saying this is a good trade. I just dont see reason for people to get all up in arms about it. 

Foles is not a starter in this league. Tanny/Bridge are borderline fringe starters. It’s a bad trade. Wasn’t but a month ago, Jax was thinking of having to lose a pick just to get out of his contract. Chicago would have been so much better off trading for Cam and giving up on Trubiski. Nagy going down with the ship. 

I like the idea of bringing in Walker to start here, with the plan being draft an upside guy like Albert O in the 3rd. 

Hey. You never know.... Montae might be the answer if Rivera can ring him in from a discipline standpoint. Apparently Del Rio's defense takes away all the thinking so players can play. Maybe Montae without all the thinking plays better and is able to use his speed and athleticism to his advantage. He's in a good situation with this coaching staff IMO.

2 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

This.

The Bears got a Tanny/Bridgewater caliber QB for less salary and FAR less guaranteed money. For a team trying to compete, giving up a 4th is worth the flexibility. 

Do you think the Vikings would pay a 4th to have Cousins at 10-20% less salary per year and his last year non-guaranteed? I do.

And the Jags werent going to release him. They would have found some team to take him as a 1-2 year bridge.

BTW, Im not saying this is a good trade. I just dont see reason for people to get all up in arms about it. 

Ehhh I get the point you are trying to make. I don't think there would be teams lined up to pony up a 4th for Foles.  Cousins example isn't even on the same level because you are talking about a potential franchise QB hitting free agency for the first time vs Foles who has been a retread in this league. Now I hear that he might re-structure his contract so it might make more sense. In any even he is not much of an upgrade over Trubisky. Why have two mediocre QB's?   

Add to that signing Graham for 2yr/16 and Quinn to a big contract, Bears are having a terrible Free agency. Pace should probably get fired after this season for all these decisions if not for drafting Trubisky over Watson alone. 

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Foles is not a starter in this league.

I mean, in the right situation he can win a SB for you.  He went toe-to-to with Brady in that SB.  One of the most remarkable things I've ever seen.

The problem is if you don't set things up properly for him scheme/play calling/talent wise, he's no good.  

But he CAN do it.  We know this because he HAS done it.  And he wasn't just along for the ride in the SB run.  He was a big part of it.  

1 minute ago, joeken24 said:

Hey. You never know.... Montae might be the answer if Rivera can ring him in from a discipline standpoint. Apparently Del Rio's defense takes away all the thinking so players can play. Maybe Montae without all the thinking plays better and is able to use his speed and athleticism to his advantage. He's in a good situation with this coaching staff IMO.

There's no question Del Rio is going to be a better coordinator than Manusky.  But at the very least, they need to bring in outside competition for FS, because Apke, Monte, and Deshazor Everett are all unknowns.  MAYBE one of them can turn into something special.  But you need to bring in somebody else from outside to push them.

1 minute ago, joeken24 said:

I think we have seen what Montae brings to the table. We tend to over value the talent level of our players.  Lack of production on the filed accompanied by off-field issues, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being released this summer. 

For those fretting about our modest free agency moves so far, here's the rose-colored perspective:

We're not a very attractive FA destination this year (particularly on offense), whether Haskins-related or otherwise, so aren't very likely to get people we want, or at a good price. So it makes sense to focus on good FA deals this year, not overpay, and save cap space for next year when a) we're more likely to be an appealing destination (given regression to the mean we are very likely to have a better record, and either Haskins will be more promising or, if we're terrible again and he tanks, we'll be in position to draft a top qb), and b) Rivera will have a better sense of the roster so he can make more informed decisions about what we need.

(Of course, we need at least JAG for TE and FS and maybe LT, even for this year. But no cause for panic, or even concern.)

5 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Foles is not a starter in this league. Tanny/Bridge are borderline fringe starters. It’s a bad trade. Wasn’t but a month ago, Jax was thinking of having to lose a pick just to get out of his contract. Chicago would have been so much better off trading for Cam and giving up on Trubiski. Nagy going down with the ship. 

I like the idea of bringing in Walker to start here, with the plan being draft an upside guy like Albert O in the 3rd. 

Nah bro. Nagy is a Andy Reid guy. He'll have Foles ballin out up there. Some coaches don't know how to coach to players strength. We've recently had one of those. Never heard of a guy that wins championships be considered a non starter.

tenor.gif.6c31e3746d9c4e7f84cf810a06e1a0e7.gif

Foles is a serviceable backup. That’s a valuable commodity on a team with Potential, and an injury prone qb. Kelly Holcomb comes to mind when I think of Foles. But Chicago has all but given up on Trubiski, they have no 1st, and Red Rocket, Winston, and Cam are all available. They made a mistake. 

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There's no question Del Rio is going to be a better coordinator than Manusky.  But at the very least, they need to bring in outside competition for FS, because Apke, Monte, and Deshazor Everett are all unknowns.  MAYBE one of them can turn into something special.  But you need to bring in somebody else from outside to push them.

I think you have that guy in Fuller. He played FS in KC.

3 minutes ago, Romberjo said:

For those fretting about our modest free agency moves so far, here's the rose-colored perspective:

The less quality players we sign, the more likely we are to draft Penei Sewell or Ja'marr Chase next year, so I'm not complaining 😏.

Not that I'm rooting for us to tank, and I'd prefer that we support Haskins to the fullest extent possible by surrounding him with high-quality weapons.  Just saying the worst-case scenario isn't all that bad.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The less quality players we sign, the more likely we are to draft Penei Sewell or Ja'marr Chase next year, so I'm not complaining 😏.

Not that I'm rooting for us to tank, and I'd prefer that we support Haskins to the fullest extent possible by surrounding him with high-quality weapons.  Just saying the worst-case scenario isn't all that bad.

Hate to tell you... If we have a bad season similar to this one, we're likely taking a QB in the first round. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Foles = Superbowl MVP

Winston = Turnover machine

I'd put Winston and Trubiski on the same level of mediocrity... Foles may not be more than above-average starter, but he's at least proven he can win.

Winston is in a completely different tier than Trubiski. He just has fatal flaws in addition to everything else. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hate to tell you... If we have a bad season similar to this one, we're likely taking a QB in the first round. 

Depends if the HC and FO are able to grasp nuance and context.  If we go into the season with the patch-work OL and limited weapons we have now, and Haskins performs well despite it, but it doesn't lead to a lot of wins, I'd hope the coaches would be intelligent enough to stick with a QB who looked good with a bad team around him.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And on top of it, that's not worst case scenario at all. Worst case scenario is a 6-10 type season where we get very little clarity on Haskins as he looks below average but flashes consistently, and we end up in a spot where we can't draft a great QB prospect anyways.

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Winston is in a completely different tier than Trubiski. He just has fatal flaws in addition to everything else. 

They're mediocre... Winston has quite a bit of offensive talent and couldn't do anything with it. I live down here and forced to watch Bucs and Dolphins games. He won't lead you to the promise land.

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Depends if the coaches are able to grasp nuance and context.  If we go into the season with the patch-work OL and limited weapons we have now, and Haskins performs well despite it, but it doesn't lead to a lot of wins, I'd hope the coaches would be intelligent enough to stick with a QB who looked good with a bad team around him.

If Haskins performs well, this team is going to win games. It's rare you see a quarterback put together a good season and see the team draft low enough to get a top tier QB. I mean, I suppose it could happen, but it's not real likely unless the defense is a total trainwreck and you're losing games 49-35 every week. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

And on top of it, that's not worst case scenario at all. Worst case scenario is a 6-10 type season where we get very little clarity on Haskins as he looks below average but flashes consistently, and we end up in a spot where we can't draft a great QB prospect anyways.

Most likely we will be looking for a new QB next year. Even with improved play, Haskins won't become an upper echelon QB in this league. 

Just now, KDawg said:

If Haskins performs well, this team is going to win games. It's rare you see a quarterback put together a good season and see the team draft low enough to get a top tier QB. I mean, I suppose it could happen, but it's not real likely unless the defense is a total trainwreck and you're losing games 49-35 every week. 

Wins are not a QB stat.  Even Drew Brees has had 6 seasons below .500.

It's definitely possible Haskins looks good and we draft in the top 10.  Hell, weren't you just saying that Kyler looked "light years better" than Haskins last year?  His team is drafting 8th.

Archived