Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

8 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

Manning/Leaf

And Beathard traded up to get Lead which makes it exponentially worse. 

9 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

One damn win we just had to have. Burrow is in the Super Bowl, Chase Dung is in the toilet bowl. Keep in mind Burrow tore up his knee. 

Has there been as big a drop off between 1 and 2? 

I don’t know why, maybe it’s because I like to get kicked in the nuts, but I think Chase is going to rebound and be a beast assuming he recovers fully from the injury.  

I think he had a huge step-back season that just totally got away from him.  It happens sometimes when you’re 23.

But being out and watching other guys have success and also being absolutely pummeled publicly, I think his ego has to ve bruised.  And that could be the best thing for him.

I think it’s too early to write the book on Chase (or just about any player) after one really good season and one really disappointing one.  

All that said, I really wish whatshisname caught the 2 point conversion against Miami and we drafted Burrow.

• Like 1

CY is entering Mario Williams territory fast, yet his situation is different from his. Williams never lived up to hype of Casserly's pick and passing on Reggie Bush, but Bush didn't have the amazing career everyone thought he'd have and Williams had a solid career, albeit not amazing by any means, where he's not brought up in conversations much..

Everyone is on Chase to be at OTA's, I don't care about him being there, I care about his health. Its a knee injury, he relies on that more than a QB would, there's little doubt he'll be back on the field in '22 but how long will it take him to return to form if at all or if he's ever gonna develop into what we expected.. It might just be a season where he has to learn to trust and strengthen that knee at the cost of production, which will infuriate most fans. I don't know if fans want an Olivier Vernon, who on film did EVERYTHING and more as a DE, but wasn't the eye catching game changing type talent who rewrote the position, who only hit double digit sacks once and who cost a hell of a lot of money that didn't translate to wins..

• Thumb down 1

28 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

CY is entering Mario Williams territory fast, yet his situation is different from his. Williams never lived up to hype of Casserly's pick and passing on Reggie Bush, but Bush didn't have the amazing career everyone thought he'd have and Williams had a solid career, albeit not amazing by any means, where he's not brought up in conversations much..

Everyone is on Chase to be at OTA's, I don't care about him being there, I care about his health. Its a knee injury, he relies on that more than a QB would, there's little doubt he'll be back on the field in '22 but how long will it take him to return to form if at all or if he's ever gonna develop into what we expected.. It might just be a season where he has to learn to trust and strengthen that knee at the cost of production, which will infuriate most fans. I don't know if fans want an Olivier Vernon, who on film did EVERYTHING and more as a DE, but wasn't the eye catching game changing type talent who rewrote the position, who only hit double digit sacks once and who cost a hell of a lot of money that didn't translate to wins..

Good news is he set the bar low after last season.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm not terribly invested in figuring out why Chase Young flopped this season, but I'm not worried about it very much. Sophomore slumps happen. When it's for other teams, we don't often examine everything those players did to "cause" the slump. What he does this coming season will say a lot about what his future holds.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm not terribly invested in figuring out why Chase Young flopped this season, but I'm not worried about it very much.

I'm not either except to the extent that everyone except Jonathon Allen (and maybe Cole Holecomb) flopped. That makes me think it's not about Chase, but something more systematic. If everyone falls apart, it's not a symptom of one guy being a bum.

• Like 1

I mean I don't think Young was bad per se, he just didn't take that next step up in his game. He was more or less the same player as last year, with fewer sacks due to the fact that he couldn't feast on as many backup QBs and/or OL like he(and the entire D)did the year before. To his credit he was still tremendous in the run game. 

He needs to work on his technique and find out how to leverage his combo of strength and speed. It seems like his pass rushes are either all speed rush or all bull rush and he just gets stonewalled. And no he's not "double teamed every play."

Jonathan Allen had been a solid interior lineman his first few seasons but in 2021 he took a huge leap forward and became a dominant force in the middle.  A lot of people viewed him (and Payne) as under-achievers and disappointments going into this season.  When you have the talent a lot can change fast for different reasons.  It's foolish to give up on Chase this early.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

He should in theory bounce back fine. He has the natural ability at his disposal. All it requires is hard work and application. That’s be what makes or breaks him.

And that's the worrying part. He's not Jonathan Allen.

Everyone has said the said thing this year (even former Washington greats) that he bought into his own hype and didn't master his position or come in with the right mindset. 

He has that love of the spotlight like RG3 and the parallel worries me. Defining year for him. Tell us who you are Chase. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I am sure CY has the competitive spirit to return by Week 1, but we don't need another "All In for Week 1" scenario where it's obvious the player shouldn't have returned that soon.

RG3 was hurt in January and trying to return by July. Chase was hurt closer to the middle of the season

“It’s true. We were part of a focus group, and he did not like it at first,” defensive tackle Jonathan Allen said last week after Washington revealed its new identity as the Commanders.

But in a recent phone conversation with The Washington Post, Young said he’s starting to warm up to the name, especially after seeing the complete package with the new logo, uniforms and helmets.

“I feel like it’s growing on me with everything going on with the jerseys,” he said. “The uniforms are like that. The black one, I think that’s my favorite. The white one, I love that one, too. And the one [wide receiver Terry McLaurin] was in, the burgundy one, I like that for a home game, a jersey that everyone’s going to see all the time.

“I’m a Commander, so I’m going to be ready to go command stuff.”

Young joined McLaurin and Allen in January to promote the team’s Feb. 2 announcement date. Still recovering from the ACL injury he suffered in November, Young was pictured with a large brace around his leg while wearing a “2.2.22” T-shirt at FedEx Field.

Young wasn’t part of the team’s reveal last week — Allen was the only current player present, and he was joined by more than a dozen alumni — because he has been rehabbing and training in Colorado Springs. He’s working at Dunamis Health and Performance, whose clients have included Los Angeles Rams linebacker Von Miller and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. as well as Los Angeles Chargers cornerback Chris Harris Jr., among others.

Although Colorado’s unpredictable weather has required an adjustment for Young, the 22-year-old expressed optimism about the coming season — and his return.

“It might be snowy one day and hot the next day,” Young said. “But I got my own trainer out here. We’re working, doing two-a-days. I’m getting a lot of better. I’m really excited.”

Next weekend, Young will head to Los Angeles, where he’ll meet Capt. Darryl Griffing, an active-duty medical operations officer with the Georgia Army National Guard who has been deployed to Afghanistan and Germany. Young is one of several NFL players who provided service members trips to Super Bowl LVI through USAA and the National Guard Association of the United States.

Young’s work with the military is personal: His grandfather, Carl H. Robinson, served in the Air Force from 1956 to 1965 and died at 74. Young was 13 at the time, but he has since honored Robinson with a tattoo on his right arm.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Lets be serious there was little chance any name they picked wouldn't get roasted by the sports world.  It was destined to be a joke no matter what.  The fact is there are plenty of current NFL team names that if they were picked as new names in 2022 they would get the same reaction.  In a decade no one is going to care about the name, if the team becomes a contender sooner then that, it will take even less time for people to stop caring about the name.  JUST WIN.

• Like 2

"I'm in the mindset of Rocky Balboa when he went to the mountains, chopping trees and things like that," Young said, referencing the movie "Rocky IV." "I'm starting out blue-collar, that grit, just getting that mindset so when the season comes around I'm ready to rock."

Young did not have the sort of season he or others expected. After a strong finish to his rookie year -- he recorded four of his 7.5 sacks, forced two fumbles, recovered three and scored a touchdown over his last six games of the 2020 season -- he struggled to make big plays in 2021. Facing more double teams and chip blocks from opposing tight ends, he finished with 1.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in nine games before his season-ending injury.

"Everybody has hiccups in the road," he said. "It's not about how you start, it's how you finish. I plan to ... keep working hard and just working to the person I want to be, the Hall of Famer I want to be one day."

For now, though, Young's at the Super Bowl as part of USAA's Salute to Service platform. Through USAA, Young awarded a trip to Los Angeles plus two Super Bowl tickets to Capt. Darryl Griffing, a member of the Georgia Army National Guard. Young will meet with Griffing on Saturday in Los Angeles.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/42268/commanders-chase-young-knows-firsthand-that-joe-burrow-is-that-dude

Young needs to work hard, yes.  I have zero doubt he will do this.  I believe he is sincere.   But equal to that, he needs to work smart.

He needs to attack his obvious deficiencies, recruit those that can help him with that (Mann has already extended a huge olive branch.  Our own coaches need to step up big-time with our DEs.)  Chase also needs to come back humble.

If he does those things, he's got a great chance to shut people up, and I believe he'll be very successful.  Maybe even prove worthy of the #2 pick.

If he doesn't...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"I'm in the mindset of Rocky Balboa when he went to the mountains, chopping trees and things like that," Young said, referencing the movie "Rocky IV." "I'm starting out blue-collar, that grit, just getting that mindset so when the season comes around I'm ready to rock."

Young did not have the sort of season he or others expected. After a strong finish to his rookie year -- he recorded four of his 7.5 sacks, forced two fumbles, recovered three and scored a touchdown over his last six games of the 2020 season -- he struggled to make big plays in 2021. Facing more double teams and chip blocks from opposing tight ends, he finished with 1.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in nine games before his season-ending injury.

"Everybody has hiccups in the road," he said. "It's not about how you start, it's how you finish. I plan to ... keep working hard and just working to the person I want to be, the Hall of Famer I want to be one day."

For now, though, Young's at the Super Bowl as part of USAA's Salute to Service platform. Through USAA, Young awarded a trip to Los Angeles plus two Super Bowl tickets to Capt. Darryl Griffing, a member of the Georgia Army National Guard. Young will meet with Griffing on Saturday in Los Angeles.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/42268/commanders-chase-young-knows-firsthand-that-joe-burrow-is-that-dude

I just...ugh.  UGH.

I don't mean to sound cynical (yes, I do) but where have I heard talk like this before? 

LaVar Arrington?  Seems like something he'd say.  RG3?  Seems like something he'd say, too.

Know who didn't say a ****ing word while he was here?  Sean Taylor.

And I get it, he was being interviewed and someone asked him how his rehab was going, etc.  So it's a fine answer, I suppose.  I mean, great, that's the mentality to have.  Yes, Rocky IV. Old school grit.  Gotta love it.

But it strikes me that there's never been a camera that Chase Young doesn't like.  And that's fine if that's his thing, if he's worried about making his dollars and his brand and whatever, I get that, that's fine.  

It's funny to me, though.  In Rocky IV, Rocky wasn't in front of cameras saying how great he was gonna be.  He got the **** AWAY from those cameras and went into the remotest part of Russia and was so focused that he came out to be the beast that Chase Young thinks of himself as.

That's the mentality and I don't think Chase Young understands that.  

• Thumb up 2