Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

23 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Explosion may be less so following that knee injury... at least his confidence of his knee.

sad.

Bosa has a torn acl too and looks just as good as he did in his rookie year. We need young to get back to the drawing board and it sucks cause he already needed to learn to get more technical. Hope that as he reoovers from the knee he studies the great pass rushers and learns some moves as well as getting back to what made him the 2nd overall pick

• Like 3

Watching Herbert last night...this is assuredly going to go down as an awful draft pick for Washington.  

I don't have faith that he'll be dominant anymore. Look at the scrubs play with our DTs and have success. Plenty of high producing DEs in the league this year, just not on this team. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Watching Herbert last night...this is assuredly going to go down as an awful draft pick for Washington.  

I don't have faith that he'll be dominant anymore. Look at the scrubs play with our DTs and have success. Plenty of high producing DEs in the league this year, just not on this team. 

I think Young suffered from a sophomore slump. It happens often even with players with a good attitude. His early successes got to his head and he thought he was there and so spent a little bit too much time thinking about Hollywood and I and not enough time thinking about team. Because of that, he didn't grow and teams were able to counter what he did well last year. If I remember last year, Young was doubled a lot, too and struggled in the first half of the year. In fact, that's when the bust talk started happening. Then, just like the team, he came on strong in the second half.

In hindsight, you probably do draft Herbert instead, but not because Young will be a bust, but because a Pro Bowl QB is worth more than a Pro Bowl DE, but most people had Tua as the second QB that year... and I'm not sure if we would trade Young for Tua.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think Young suffered from a sophomore slump. It happens often even with players with a good attitude. His early successes got to his head and he thought he was there and so spent a little bit too much time thinking about Hollywood and I and not enough time thinking about team. Because of that, he didn't grow and teams were able to counter what he did well last year. If I remember last year, Young was doubled a lot, too and struggled in the first half of the year. In fact, that's when the bust talk started happening. Then, just like the team, he came on strong in the second half.

In hindsight, you probably do draft Herbert instead, but not because Young will be a bust, but because a Pro Bowl QB is worth more than a Pro Bowl DE, but most people had Tua as the second QB that year... and I'm not sure if we would trade Young for Tua.

It seems like Tua might be getting the hang of things....wierd things happen when you give young guys more than 10 games to get in a groove. League wants instant gratification. That's why we have the apprentice/journeyman approach. Gotta give em time IMHO....same goes for Young, he went from playing with boys to playing with men.....and that has proven to be tougher than he thought. Right now he is a Bosworth bust IMO. But let's give him time.

4 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Again, no one had Herbert as a consideration at #2.  There were some dratfniks that liked him a lot, but he was never discussed anywhere as an option for us.  People thought that if we were going to take a QB, it'd have been Tua.

Hindsight makes things obvious, but no one should be pretending that the WFT was trying to figure out who to take a #2, Chase or Herbert.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Yeah I think in hindsight most of us would take Herbert. But as @Spaceman Spiffsaid, he was hardly even considered at #2. I remember very clearly the debate on here and it was always CY or Tua. Herbert was mentioned in passing occasionally, but it wasn't really much of a consideration for the most part. Herbert was a good player but was never considered in the Luck or Lawrence echelon of prospects. If that were the case he would have been taken #1 overall.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I think in hindsight most of us would take Herbert. But as @Spaceman Spiffsaid, he was hardly even considered at #2. I remember very clearly the debate on here and it was always CY or Tua. Herbert was mentioned in passing occasionally, but it wasn't really much of a consideration for the most part. Herbert was a good player but was never considered in the Luck or Lawrence echelon of prospects. If that were the case he would have been taken #1 overall.

In retrospect… and even a little bit at the time (but to be fair… I wouldn’t actually have considered it at the time)…

I would have traded back and taken Simmons or Kenneth Murray if Tu’a and Herbert were off the board to wherever we dropped back to.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure all the revisionists hate thirsting on Chase were huge fans of his going into this season, which is pretty annoying. 

Between the hatred here and the love affair in the TH thread, it’s getting harder and harder to want to continue posting on this board.

• Like 1

Doc was on Sheehan last week and he was telling a story about him, Ken Harvey, and Tony McGee sitting around watching film on Chase so that Doc could pick McGee and Harvey's brain on what they were seeing and why he was so ineffective.

The responses from those guys were shocking. 

Forget about being generational, he's gonna have to listen to those who know and see if he can become a good player first, baby steps.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure all the revisionists hate thirsting on Chase were huge fans of his going into this season, which is pretty annoying. 

At the time I was probably one of the people putting caution on him most. People threw around the generational talent label which I disagreed with and I got a ton of grief on it.

That said: I still liked him, if we stayed at 2 I still would have drafted him there, and I still think he can be a very good player. I had a long post about his hands needing work and needing to develop extra moves. That is still true. But he is the prototype for a DE. 

No regrets. But I would have welcomed a trade back, too.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I still believe in Young's talent and wouldn't give up on him yet but I think its more likely he ends up just being a solid/good player instead of a generational type talent. The generational guys are pretty much great right away like the Bosas.

But he WAS great right away last year.  People forget that he won defensive rookie of the year.  And it wasn't just a hand-out, it was earned.

He had a disappointing start to his second year, and I think Ron hit the nail on the head, he kept on talking about "maturity."  

Something that happens to people who are GREAT at what they do, basically for their entire lives, is they get a bit of an ego about it.  And what happened this year is Chase thought he could just cruise through and continue to be great.  However, the league adjusted, which would force him to adjust.  And because he was somewhat big-headed about it, he thought he could just "out athletic" the guy in front of him.  

Well, that won't work.

I think he's going to have to eat some humble pie here over the course of the next 12 months.  I hope he's able to take it, and use it as motivation to come back stronger.  We'll see.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Between the hatred here and the love affair in the TH thread, it’s getting harder and harder to want to continue posting on this board.

That's not fair really.....Chase was expected to be generational, not hatred maybe severe disappointment. Heinicke was a nothing burger.....math class dude. It's the underdog story that has Heinicke getting the love affair. I'm also a huge fan of Patterson another underdog. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

At the time I was probably one of the people putting caution on him most. People threw around the generational talent label which I disagreed with and I got a ton of grief on it.

That said: I still liked him, if we stayed at 2 I still would have drafted him there, and I still think he can be a very good player. I had a long post about his hands needing work and needing to develop extra moves. That is still true. But he is the prototype for a DE. 

No regrets. But I would have welcomed a trade back, too.

You certainly were. I think we were both really high on a trade back for Simmons.

46 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

That's not fair really.....Chase was expected to be generational, not hatred maybe severe disappointment. Heinicke was a nothing burger.....math class dude. It's the underdog story that has Heinicke getting the love affair. I'm also a huge fan of Patterson another underdog. 

This board has always loved the back ups and hated on the starters.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I still believe in Young's talent and wouldn't give up on him yet but I think its more likely he ends up just being a solid/good player instead of a generational type talent. The generational guys are pretty much great right away like the Bosas.

Then you've given up on him.

Well over 70% of the board this time last year was convinced we had to lose as many games as possible to get this guy, even to Dallas, and people's fan cards were being called for saying otherwise.

For him to not be that HOF wrecking crew his cult was convinced he was going to be, this is a failure of the highest order. This is a Dunkirk level retreat, solid/good player as a career trajectory should have people that support tanking to save our franchise soul searching at night.

Edited by Renegade7

2 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

That's irregardless. My point is the kneejerk reactions on this thread sometimes make having rational conversations impossible. Chase struggles and good luck talking to some on this thread about how it's presumptuous to give up. Taylor has a couple of good games and good luck trying to have a civil discussion about why remaining cautious about expectations doesn't mean you hate the guy and every ounce of success he has. It's as bad as it's ever been IMO. 

Edited by PartyPosse

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Again, no one had Herbert as a consideration at #2.  There were some dratfniks that liked him a lot, but he was never discussed anywhere as an option for us.  People thought that if we were going to take a QB, it'd have been Tua.

Hindsight makes things obvious, but no one should be pretending that the WFT was trying to figure out who to take a #2, Chase or Herbert.  

I get it...few of us were banging the table for QB. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Well over 70% of the board this time last year was convinced we had to lose as many games as possible to get this guy, even to Dallas, and people's fan cards were being called for saying otherwise.

Part of that was rooting to burn it all down.  The team started 0-5, fired Jay, Callahan was running the clock out on the season.  Most of the board realized how important it was for the bottom to fall all the way out as a means to see Bruce Allen fired and leave no room for a guy like Callahan to spark intrigue for Dan.  Getting a really high draft pick to acquire Chase Young was absolutely part of that pie.  At the time, Haskins being a complete dumpster fire wasn't yet obvious to a lot of folks.  

So it was a mix of a whole lot of things all at once that played into that losing out mentality.  

Not that your point has no merit, it's absolutely looking like Chase is not going to be a generational player.  That's even before the injury.  Post-injury, even less likely.  I still think drafting high has more value than winning a few morale boosting games at the end of a season.  You just have to make the right decision with the asset.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why?

He was DROY and has pretty incredible physical attributes. He’ll be returning to a defense seeing fewer lapses in the secondary and among our LBers. He made a mistake and didn’t focus in the off-season, and should have an opportunity to make up for this. No one, outside of this forum, questions his work ethic. 

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

That's irregardless. My point is the kneejerk reactions on this thread sometimes make having rational conversations impossible. Chase struggles and good luck talking to some on this thread about how it's presumptuous to give up. Taylor has a couple of good games and good luck trying to have a civil discussion about why remaining cautious about expectations doesn't mean you hate the guy and every ounce of success he has. It's as bad as it's ever been IMO. 

No offense... but I think we do this every year........