Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Of the DL Payne and Allen are the two that are necessary to keep around. Allen is on the books. Payne needs to be. Young and Sweat are more talented than Toohill and Smith-Williams, but those guys are almost the same production wise and are playing the run and contain better than our top flight players. That is a major consideration to trade one of them. If we keep one they'll cost a pretty penny but that's better than having both. If you're going to have a DE free lance a little to make a play you can't have two doing it. 

I was on board with Chase as much as anyone but I think he started reading the press clippings and it got to him to the point that he felt he had to make the big play or he was not living up to expectations. He was declared a team captain and leader too early (I expressed my views on this way back). Im hoping this injury allows him to refocus and get back to the basics. No one would ever question his physical skill set or heart. Thinking he needs to set his sights on getting healthy, focus on the the fundamentals and with his talent the explosive plays will follow. Chase has plenty of time and ability to still be elite. Focus!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the move is to trade sweat and break those two up. A year of rehab, fighting to get back on the field, while everyone falls in line with Allen should do wonders for Chase.

It's not going to be popular with Chase. 

The fact that Rivera said in a presser that Chase would have to find someone else to work out with now that Sweat is injured is a bit concerning. Of course, that was for a very limited time.

It feels like those two have been on their own island and it hasn't produced results. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chris 44 said:

What do you think Sweats trade value would be?

High second, late first maybe, but I think with another draft pick involved, it's a good chess piece to move around the draft.

Hes productive, he's a very good all around DE, he's healthy (other than this freak jaw injury), he's young and still on a rookie contract. He's got value and he's proven. 

His best days are ahead of him and we're not paying all four 1rst rounders. 

1 minute ago, Silvernon said:

It's not going to be popular with Chase. 

The fact that Rivera said in a presser that Chase would have to find someone else to work out with now that Sweat is injured is a bit concerning. Of course, that was for a very limited time.

It feels like those two have been on their own island and it hasn't produced results. 

Sweat is definitely Chases sound board and Chase has the higher ceiling, so its definitely Sweat who should be moved. 

It's a great opportunity to have Chase step back, lose the captain patch (cough *Curl*cough) see everyone win and be productive without him and let him work his way back into the locker room down the road. I think this injury takes the weighted crown off him, especially with us winning games now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

High second, late first maybe, but I think with another draft pick involved, it's a good chess piece to move around the draft.

Hes productive, he's a very good all around DE, he's healthy (other than this freak jaw injury), he's young and still on a rookie contract. He's got value and he's proven. 

His best days are ahead of him and we're not paying all four 1rst rounders. 

I think the....... "and we're not paying all four 1rst rounders" Is key.  I really like Sweat but I think Allen and Payne are much more valuable.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 2

I don't want to trade Sweat yet. We can exercise his 5th year option meaning we still have him for two more years after this year for pretty cheap. His value isn't as high as it can be. We won't get a 1st like the 49ers got for Buckner, he isn't at that level.

Maybe NEXT year we trade him but I don't want to trade him while his value is probably as low as it'll ever be.

Agree on Payne though he's a must keep. Him and Allen are the heart of this D.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I think the....... "and we're not paying all four 1rst rounders" Is key.  I really like Sweat but I think Allen and Payne are much more valuable.

Yeah our core on defense is Allen, Payne, Holcomb and Curl with Davis and Juste hopefully. 

We've got some horses on the line to step in right now, but you've gotta figure this year we'll lose Collins, McCain, Bostic and Settle and unless some otherworldly stud like Simmons or Maye break free, that's all going to be addressed in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't want to trade Sweat yet. We can exercise his 5th year option meaning we still have him for two more years after this year for pretty cheap. His value isn't as high as it can be. We won't get a 1st like the 49ers got for Buckner, he isn't at that level.

Maybe NEXT year we trade him but I don't want to trade him while his value is probably as low as it'll ever be.

Agree on Payne though he's a must keep. Him and Allen are the heart of this D.

I dont "want" to trade Sweat, but its a position we can lose a guy from and I think when it's all weighted, his value to the team and his value to a trade, tips towards the trade. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I dont "want" to trade Sweat, but its a position we can lose a guy from and I think when it's all weighted, his value to the team and his value to a trade, tips towards the trade. 

I get that, I just don't think we'll get good value for him. I don't see the point in trading him for a 2nd rounder. If we get a top 20 pick I'd strongly consider it but I just don't see anyone offering that.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'm not sure I'd put Holcomb as a core guy just yet. He's a decent starter but replaceable. Curl for sure though, 2nd or 3rd best starter on this D.

Im thinking Jamin Davis has the lightbulb moment after the remaining games and off season. If he does develop that really helps in next years approach to to free agency and the draft.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I'm not sure I'd put Holcomb as a core guy just yet. He's a decent starter but replaceable. Curl for sure though, 2nd or 3rd best starter on this D.

Hes looking like a legit starter in his 3rd year and the green dot backer and a good locker room guy. Not bad for a 5th rounder with limited Mobility. 

I think we're undervalueing him after he almost single handedly kept CMC in check this week. He had a really impressive game.

Hes never going to be an all pro, but he's the type of player that completes a defense. The glue guy. 

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I get that, I just don't think we'll get good value for him. I don't see the point in trading him for a 2nd rounder. If we get a top 20 pick I'd strongly consider it but I just don't see anyone offering that.

I also am putting a lot of weight into the Chase/Sweat boys club they've created that sits outside of the locker room. They're clearly not on the same page as Ron, JDR and Allen and its a problem.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah but a good organization doesn’t lose him for nothing in return. There’s potential for a compensatory pick but a 2nd is better than him walking away in free agency if you know you’re not going to sign him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes looking like a legit starter in his 3rd year and the green dot backer and a good locker room guy. Not bad for a 5th rounder with limited Mobility. 

I think we're undervalueing him after he almost single handedly kept CMC in check this week. He had a really impressive game.

Hes never going to be an all pro, but he's the type of player that completes a defense. The glue guy. 

I also am putting a lot of weight into the Chase/Sweat boys club they've created that sits outside of the locker room. They're clearly not on the same page as Ron, JDR and Allen and its a problem.

I think Curl did a better job locking down McCaffrey than Holcomb. But to your point: these last few games is the best stretch of football Holcomb has played for us in his career. That is absolutely a very positive step. 

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's a great opportunity to have Chase step back, lose the captain patch (cough *Curl*cough) see everyone win and be productive without him and let him work his way back into the locker room down the road. I think this injury takes the weighted crown off him, especially with us winning games now.

Only if what you say happens. Curl gets the 2nd captaincy on D right now and then they become shutdown over a long winning streak. Success is the key ingredient. 

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah our core on defense is Allen, Payne, Holcomb and Curl with Davis and Juste hopefully. 

I don't see it with Juste. Think injuries will be a big concern moving forward. 

Really think they need a top corner in the draft, but with an expected trade for a QB...tough luck. 

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Absolutely a core guy. 

Holcomb flashed right away, in my eyes, and has held together this unit for the most part over the years and always getting better. If he gets a legitimate Batman, to his Robin, watch out. 

Holcomb, Payne and Curl are the same level to me. Sub-elite at their position, but are at least they're in the fringe of the conversation they're so good. 

Allen is moving to elite territory, and the hope is that Davis will be joining him. He is a huge wildcard, but no better spot for him to grow.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

At first I agreed with this, but the contract has to factor into it. If you trade Sweat for a 2nd rounder and use the money to sign an All-Pro corner, I'm all for it. 

Either way, it's not a pure Sweat = x because the contract factors into it for both teams. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Anyone thinking we should let sweat go or to even trade him look at the de over in greenbay and what he's doing

Now look at the replacements in Washington and see that the defense is performing better because they’re playing as a unit. I don’t care if a player leaves here and is successful. Them not working here doesn’t mean they can’t work elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Curl did a better job locking down McCaffrey than Holcomb. But to your point: these last few games is the best stretch of football Holcomb has played for us in his career. That is absolutely a very positive step. 

To be fair, Curl was locking everyone down  :ols:

I mean, how many backers can spy CMC and be successful. I'd have to watch the game again, but Holcomb seemed to be on him a lot. I think that was almost his only responsibility in the second half. That's impressive. Someone on here said they were at the game and was watching that and Holcomb could only stick with him for a few seconds, but that was enough, since Allen was hitting Cam on almost every drop back and when he was able to get the ball to CMC, Holcomb was there and Curl flew right in to help.

It was a great day from Cole.

• Like 7

It's not losing Sweat.  It's replacing him with hopefully equivalent value in the form of draft capital via trade.

Preston Smith left in FA and we got nothing in return.  There's a difference.

If Sweat is holding Chase Young back by accident, then getting equitable trade value in return could be a net plus in the long run.

• Like 1

The Bills have 4 1rst rounders on their defensive line and their strength is their LBers. 

If we can turn Sweat into a LBer or FS on a rookie contract, instead of a pita we get nothing for, awesome. 

I'm fine keeping Sweat and hope he blows it up next year, but I'd also have him on the block.

I’m glad we’re playing better. But it takes half the season every year for us to get going. 

Hoping Toney can come back this week and get some reps. I’d like to see what he can do. 

Jamin Davis still oozes potential to me. Guy just moves differently out there. His play diagnosis seems to be improving, but once that part becomes second nature look out. He’s still raw but a solid, aggressive tackler. I think he’ll get it.

• Like 1