Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Part of that was rooting to burn it all down.  The team started 0-5, fired Jay, Callahan was running the clock out on the season.  Most of the board realized how important it was for the bottom to fall all the way out as a means to see Bruce Allen fired and leave no room for a guy like Callahan to spark intrigue for Dan.  Getting a really high draft pick to acquire Chase Young was absolutely part of that pie.  At the time, Haskins being a complete dumpster fire wasn't yet obvious to a lot of folks.  

So it was a mix of a whole lot of things all at once that played into that losing out mentality.  

I did see the occasional "this may finally get rid of Bruce" or the rare "is Snyder really crazy enough to keep Callahan?".  But pretty much every response I got to saying I don't want to lose games was Chase Chase Chase Chase Chase Chase.  I never believed that a random win would save Bruce or Callahan job, but folks were convinced it would cost us Chase.  Remember the Chase Young bowl against the giants last year?

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not that your point has no merit, it's absolutely looking like Chase is not going to be a generational player.  That's even before the injury.  Post-injury, even less likely.  I still think drafting high has more value than winning a few morale boosting games at the end of a season.  You just have to make the right decision with the asset.

I vehemently disagree because the huge risk of striking out on a draft pick, if any other reason, it makes all that losing worth nothing.

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I vehemently disagree because the huge risk of striking out on a draft pick, if any other reason, it makes all that losing worth nothing.

Conversely, what’s the risk in losing a competitive game, 31-30 with no playoff implications?

I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to get your doors blown off regularly as it can kill morale and have lingering effects.  

But if I have no shot at making the playoffs, I’ll take competitive games that end up close losses over victories every Sunday.

Just because we’ve whiffed at the top of the draft doesn’t mean we always will.  Also, the higher your draft pick, the more valuable it is in trade.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Conversely, what’s the risk in losing a competitive game, 31-30 with no playoff implications?

I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to get your doors blown off regularly as it can kill morale and have lingering effects.  

But if I have no shot at making the playoffs, I’ll take competitive games that end up close losses over victories every Sunday.

You say that, but in the heat of the moment, no you don't.  I see folks switch up in the game day thread all the time when it looks like we might pull it off.  Play to win the game, bro.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just because we’ve whiffed at the top of the draft doesn’t mean we always will.  Also, the higher your draft pick, the more valuable it is in trade.  

You need folks to do business with you, and we rarely trade down when we have a top 5 pick. If you picking that high, its usually because you need a QB, you cant trade down.

And drafting the right guy is hard, ask any team that is still trying. This whole losing to win thing is just something us fans talk about, no successful NFL franchise actually does that.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Season to season carry over momentum is basically non existent. Its a myth.

Building winning programs and enforcing accountability is not.  It takes time, you don't just turn it on when you find a QB.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

While I usually disagree with rooting to lose, it's different when you're say 2-6 with more than half a season to go and being 3-12 with one game left.

• Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I agree, I guess I find the extremes particular disturbing. One is a generational can't miss talent and the other is an undrafted journeyman. 

There's the rub....one is or was suppose to be a generational talent and the other was supposed to be nothing....I mean nothing, all of a sudden the dude is serious about getting **** done and the generational talent guy kind of follows agent and makes money, look at me in Miami. TH is being the guy that is trying to get out of his sister's house. Like I said earlier...underdog stories are my favorite.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Nick Bosa tore his ACL in 2020 and has 10 sacks in 2021 in just 10 games.  So yeah I'd say thats a fair measuring stick considering the expectations for Young.  

No. That’s not a measuring stick. Every body is different and full recovery isn’t a set standard. Also, Bosa tore his in week 2 of that season. More than 2 months earlier than Chase. 

I get the criticism of his performance, but if we reach the point where people question him because he didn’t recover as fast as others from an ACL year…

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

No. That’s not a measuring stick. Every body is different and full recovery isn’t a set standard. Also, Bosa tore his in week 2 of that season. More than 2 months earlier than Chase. 

I get the criticism of his performance, but if we reach the point where people question him because he didn’t recover as fast as others from an ACL year…

Bosa is averaging about a sack a game right now coming off an ACL.  First he gets compared to Reggie White, then he gets compared to the Bosa Brothers, now who are we comparing him to? Where will the goal post be in 2022?

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Bosa is averaging about a sack a game right now coming off an ACL.  First he gets compared to Reggie White, then he gets compared to the Bosa Brothers, now who are we comparing him to? Where will the goal post be in 2022?

You can make comparisons about performance to anyone you want but you simply cannot create expectations by comparing recovery times from serious injuries. Come on, you know that. I really shouldn’t have to say this.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You can make comparisons about performance to anyone you want but you simply cannot create expectations by comparing recovery times from serious injuries. Come on, you know that. I really shouldn’t have to say this.

This isnt about recovery time, this is about production coming of a similar injury.  Nick is probably running away with comeback player of the year.  Are you suggesting its not fair to hope for or expect that from Young after winning rookie of the year just last year?

7 hours ago, Silvernon said:

I get it...few of us were banging the table for QB. 

I read about 20 pages of that earlier and not one person wanted Herbert. SIP make a prediction that the chargers might possibly draft him, but it was only them wildly over valuing him. 

Almost everyone wanted Chase. A few of us would have been good trading back to draft Simmons, nobody was banging the table for Tua. Nobody. A few people would have been cool with it, but not at 2.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I read about 20 pages of that earlier and not one person wanted Herbert. SIP make a prediction that the chargers might possibly draft him, but it was only them wildly over valuing him. 

Almost everyone wanted Chase. A few of us would have been good trading back to draft Simmons, nobody was banging the table for Tua. Nobody. A few people would have been cool with it, but not at 2.

Yep, people forget things, the Internet doesnt.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This isnt about recovery time, this is about production coming of a similar injury.  Nick is probably running away with comeback player of the year.  Are you suggesting its not fair to hope for or expect that from Young after winning rookie of the year just last year?

Yes. I am. Everyone has a different recovery time. All Day came back and won the rushing title, some take a couple of years to get their body up to snuff. It’s impossible to know now how Chase’s recovery will go but expecting it to go as anyone else’s and then being disappointed if it doesn’t is baffling to me.

Jesus, I don’t think anyone here loves a Washington player as much as some of you love Nick and Joey Bosa.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Yes. I am. Everyone has a different recovery time. All Day came back and won the rushing title, some take a couple of years to get their body up to snuff. It’s impossible to know now how Chase’s recovery will go but expecting it to go as anyone else’s and then being disappointed if it doesn’t is baffling to me.

Jesus, I don’t think anyone here loves a Washington player as much as some of you love Nick and Joey Bosa.

I dont love the Bosa brothers, im tired of Young being compared to different players then supporters backtracking and changing who he should be compared to. Is Clowney next?

18 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Volsmet and I both made at least a passing argument for Tua. In the end, I wanted Chase. 

What do you guys think about his expected performance into the future vs likely ceiling after his most recent injury.

What I expect is a rich man’s Clowney. 10-13 sacks a year and great run defense. I think his ceiling is still multiple 15 sack seasons, but I’m not sure how likely that is. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Volsmet and I both made at least a passing argument for Tua. In the end, I wanted Chase. 

What do you guys think about his expected performance into the future vs likely ceiling after his most recent injury.

What I expect is a rich man’s Clowney. 10-13 sacks a year and great run defense. I think his ceiling is still multiple 15 sack seasons, but I’m not sure how likely that is. 

I'd agree with that. I still think he could be special. 

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd agree with that. I still think he could be special. 

What bothers me is RR's quote saying the D is playing better because players aren't hunting for "Splash" plays. They are playing within the scheme. I think THAT was a not so veiled threat to Sweat and Young that they are NOT bigger than the team and it will NOT be allowed in 2022. Clearly, something is going on for RR to go public like that.

If either doesn't listen..trade him. If "this" D works the rest of the year..you might want to do that anyway and get draft capital (if you can).

I'd hate to have another Skins bust to Pro Bowl but sometimes people don't get a clue until their ego is deflated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

What bothers me is RR's quote saying the D is playing better because players aren't hunting for "Splash" plays. They are playing within the scheme. I think THAT was a not so veiled threat to Sweat and Young that they are NOT bigger than the team and it will NOT be allowed in 2022. Clearly, something is going on for RR to go public like that.

If either doesn't listen..trade him. If "this" D works the rest of the year..you might want to do that anyway and get draft capital (if you can).

I'd hate to have another Skins bust to Pro Bowl but sometimes people don't get a clue until their ego is deflated.

Of the DL Payne and Allen are the two that are necessary to keep around. Allen is on the books. Payne needs to be. Young and Sweat are more talented than Toohill and Smith-Williams, but those guys are almost the same production wise and are playing the run and contain better than our top flight players. That is a major consideration to trade one of them. If we keep one they'll cost a pretty penny but that's better than having both. If you're going to have a DE free lance a little to make a play you can't have two doing it. 

• Like 2