Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I still think this thread is 10 second Timmy

What the Skins need is for Tua to bounce back strong and make the selection at 2 OA a lot more interesting.

Here is the thing about Chase. I think we now have a solid 2 decade record to support we will not unleash him on QBs. Yes all teams employ bend don't break soft D at one point or another, but I am convinced we do it the most.  This soft approach has survived regime change one after another. It's not quite as bad when at its peak we gave up 9 yards on first down, and allowed 99 yard drives over and over.

Now I will concede our 4-3 may let the DL tee off on QBs and run blitz on the way to QBs, but we have heard every DC that comes here preach attacking the QB yet we somehow never do.  Not even when we desperately need a stop or have months of historically bad play (3rd down conversions etc).  I think we can go back to Mike Nolan on broken promises, if not farther back.  From Lavar to Preston Smith, to our latest - how we used Sweat. I refuse to drool over prospects we expect to bend the QB in half.

If we don't unleash Chase Young I am not sure he will live up to expectations of a December welcome thread.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:20 PM, Anselmheifer said:

This. Also, I don't expect our defense to be crazy awesome next year. I think a 2nd year Chase Young and a 3rd year Sweat, with some more additions at LB and in the secondary will do it. 

I'm expecting us to be top half of the league (13th-16th overall) in every  category.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

If we don't unleash Chase Young I am not sure he will live up to expectations of a December welcome thread.

Well yea if we draft him and dont use him to rush the QB it will absolutely be a waste. But there is nothing structural about the Redskins that says we will always promise but not deliver in this. I know we always do lol. But there is nothing about us that makes that so. I personally just have to hope these guys live up to it this time. And with a defensive minded head coach, this is probably our best chance at that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I still think this thread is 10 second Timmy

What the Skins need is for Tua to bounce back strong and make the selection at 2 OA a lot more interesting.

Here is the thing about Chase. I think we now have a solid 2 decade record to support we will not unleash him on QBs. Yes all teams employ bend don't break soft D at one point or another, but I am convinced we do it the most.  This soft approach has survived regime change one after another. It's not quite as bad when at its peak we gave up 9 yards on first down, and allowed 99 yard drives over and over.

Now I will concede our 4-3 may let the DL tee off on QBs and run blitz on the way to QBs, but we have heard every DC that comes here preach attacking the QB yet we somehow never do.  Not even when we desperately need a stop or have months of historically bad play (3rd down conversions etc).  I think we can go back to Mike Nolan on broken promises, if not farther back.  From Lavar to Preston Smith, to our latest - how we used Sweat. I refuse to drool over prospects we expect to bend the QB in half.

The only thing I can respond with is- Jack-freekin-Del Rio. I am gonna be shocked if he morphs into yet another timid bendover but don't break DC

This guy is gonna be poundin the table for CY

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

The only thing I can respond with is- Jack-freekin-Del Rio. I am gonna be shocked if he morphs into yet another timid bendover but don't break DC

This guy is gonna be poundin the table for CY

JDR has a history of drafting elite pass rushers at #2. Julius Peppers for the Panthers and Von Miller for the Broncos. The Matrix likes to keep the simulation consistent. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Chase Young and Montez Sweat with the Bama Boys and Ion rushing the passer and stuffing the run. This defensive line is going to be a force beginning next season. God please help Reuben Foster stay healthy and out of trouble and this defense is downright scary. I think I could be a corner and get 6 picks with that pass rush. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Chase Young and Montez Sweat with the Bama Boys and Ion rushing the passer and stuffing the run. This defensive line is going to be a force beginning next season. God please help Reuben Foster stay healthy and out of trouble and this defense is downright scary. I think I could be a corner and get 6 picks with that pass rush. 

You and Josh Norman. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Part of me wonders about this too. I cringe when i listen to JDR because I want to get excited and I think back to being excited about Joe Barry being a "teacher", or Manusky focusing on "communication" and a bunch of other things. Heck even Haslett's problem being tackling and thinking that if we could just tackle we'd have a top 10 defense. 

What I see as a big problem with this defense is that we like to get these "athletes" who have this Greek God stature with all kinds of measurements and kinda use words like "interchangeable". We do it with our safeties, we seem to do it with our edge rushers, and maybe other positions. Heck it was a big part of our OL - needing guys who could play multiple positions instead of being dominant at just one, its one of the reasons why we kept Grant so long. 

That sounds good. It makes the job easier for the scouts. But the problem I see with that is that we assume that a MLB with 4.5 speed will be able to cover most TEs, but those are two separate things. Same with Sweat and his speed meaning he can drop in coverage. I remember seeing Smith downfield against a RB in coverage in 2018, and he made the play which was good but we were all wondering why was he in that position. 

I like what JDR is saying but the proof is in the pudding. And Its more about using guys to their talents than just saying "as long as we've got a 4.5 guy here we should be fine". 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Well yea if we draft him and dont use him to rush the QB it will absolutely be a waste. But there is nothing structural about the Redskins that says we will always promise but not deliver in this. I know we always do lol. But there is nothing about us that makes that so. I personally just have to hope these guys live up to it this time. And with a defensive minded head coach, this is probably our best chance at that. 

Can you imagine giving Manusky Chase Young? He'd probably have him press covering WRs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What will happen to this thread on draft day, so as not to have people duped ?

I assume the mods have already activated the auto-close feature and set it for activation immediately after the second pick in the draft is announced regardless of outcome.

That’s standard operating procedure for threads like this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

After seeing the 49ers game today, how can anyone say they don’t want the Skins to draft Chase Young? 

Thank you. This was my exact thoughts watching that game and the impact Bosa had and the rest of the defensive line and really defensive as a unit. That's what we need.

Edited by SkinsFootball
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2020 at 1:09 PM, mistertim said:

There are certainly teams out there that need a QB, but that doesn't change the devastating nature of Tua's injury and the fact that nobody will know whether he'll ever be the same football player. Sure he's on the mend, and he's apparently going to make a full recovery. But there's a difference between "recovering" mechanically from an injury and playing football, especially with an injury like that. It would be a huge risk for any team to pony up multiple first round picks to move up for a guy who may never be the same player he was before his injury. Add to that the fact that Tua already had an injury history before this and...I dunno, that's just insanely risky. 

Someone will take a chance on Tua in the 1st I'm guessing (assuming his recovery goes ok) but I find it very unlikely that anyone will move up for him. IMO someone will take a chance on him if he falls into their laps...perhaps Miami or LA up high or the Raiders or Tampa a bit lower. But for all we know he could fall out of the first round entirely. Teams are pretty fickle about guys with injuries sometimes. Especially late season injuries. 

I think we really should just stick with the KISS method. Don't get cute. Don't try to play games trading around up and down with multiple teams. Just do what SF did: take the best player in the draft at #2 overall and be happy about it.

I’m pretty much in agreement here, but I can’t help but think about the fact that, virtually every single draft, there are QBs who are highly regarded, yet come out with enough issues that it’s almost a consensus that they won’t go 1st or 2nd or top 5 or top 10. 

And then, somehow, as the months go by and teams start meeting with these guys, falling in love with their potential, and the analysts/journalists start hearing things, what do you know? Suddenly, they’re consistently mocked to go in the top 2 or top 5 or top 10 at worst. Then one of those teams that fell in love and just HAS to have their guy trades up to get him. I feel like it pans out that way pretty much every time. 

I’ve always found that to be fascinating. It might not even be Tua. What if it’s Herbert, Love, or Fromm?

As crazy as it seems now, I wouldn’t be surprised. It almost feels inevitable. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Lavar Arrington was a great  good pick for the franchise in the 2000 draft at #2 overall and so will Chase Young. Don't **** this up Snyder

Interesting choice of examples you used there.

Why would you use him as an example for doing the right thing, it seems to me he'd be a much better example for people on the other side of this argument. 

Sure he was talented and had a few flashes but he certainly didn't work out the way we'd hoped and wasn't a great investment.

Was that sarcasm?

Or just that he was extremely talented and the unforeseen circumstances of his career shouldn't be considered as a deterrent?

Edited by redskinss