Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

27 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Im sure u are ok with 3-13 and 2-14 respectively....

I wouldn't be, and that's why I mentioned Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Moore. Neither of them ever QBed 3-13 or 2-14 seasons, and that's while on trashy teams. More importantly, they'd be cheap bandages to last 1 season, not super expensive bandages to last 3 lol

But even if they were, it wouldn't be a huge loss. In that case, we'd get a higher round draft pick to pick a QB higher in the draft. I'm not seeing a problem here.

26 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I wouldn't be, and that's why I mentioned Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Moore. Neither of them ever QBed 3-13 or 2-14 seasons, and that's while on trashy teams. More importantly, they'd be cheap bandages to last 1 season, not super expensive bandages to last 3 lol

But even if they were, it wouldn't be a huge loss. In that case, we'd get a higher round draft pick to pick a QB higher in the draft. I'm not seeing a problem here.

image.jpeg.1fbb8ebba71fbae9660298bc8dcb5d91.jpeg

I mean if he was still here and everything still happened as is did it would just be 2017 all over again for the past season and a half. With him barely righting the ship to a .500 mark at best.. We still aren't a playoff team with him here and we would have been just prolonging that inevitable. I mean that's what I want to think, but attitudes could have been different and maybe we'd have certain players here still if he was still here.. But just from the injury standpoint, I don't see Cousins making that kind of difference that overcomes that..

2 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I mean if he was still here and everything still happened as is did it would just be 2017 all over again for the past season and a half. With him barely righting the ship to a .500 mark at best.. We still aren't a playoff team with him here and we would have been just prolonging that inevitable. I mean that's what I want to think, but attitudes could have been different and maybe we'd have certain players here still if he was still here.. But just from the injury standpoint, I don't see Cousins making that kind of difference that overcomes that..

Gruden would still be here and we'd continue to see the pansy play and pampering that got us NADA. Gruden's input MADE the Cousins debacle. Should have traded him after the 1st tag.

So getting rid of Cousins and Gruden is a 2fer

9 hours ago, Alexa said:

Well yes he is worth it cause there were multiple teams  willing to pay him. The Jets were actually going to pay him more than the Vikes. It really doesn't matter what we think, the facts are Cousins got what someone was willing to pay. If company x was willing to pay you more for your services would you stay at your current company? No. Your co - workers may think you're not worth what company x is willing to pay you but so what. You're worth what someone is willing to pay. 

The Redskins blew this and now they're stuck with trying to find a QB when they already had one. The Redskins are the worst team in the league when it comes to picking and managing the QB position. Just my opinion but I feel the reason Dan and Bruce didn't like Cousins is cause he turned out to better than their pick. That embarrassed them and it's no surprise that they low balled him and in the end let him walk out the door. 

Had Griffin been able to put up the numbers Cousins was putting up he'd still be here and would have a long term deal. 

Gotta disagree. They had a QB before in Cousins and he found ways to lose the games he needed to win. All he did was mask our problem and demand to be paid for not producing wins when we needed them. Same thing happened in Minny last year, couldnt beat the Bears at home in week 17 and cost them the playoffs. KC is a fraud QB....I'll take my chances with a rookie who may be the franchise over KC.

11 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I'm not sure anybody is arguing that he's worth what he got.  However is he worth what it would have taken to keep him back before we started tagging him.  I think you'll get more argument there.

Read the article in ESPN the magazine on why the Skins and KC were in their stalemate. It speaks to Kirk's lack of confidence in making certain throws and how he's always struggled to believe in himself starting in high school. Cousins is a legit NFL QB but he has not shown that he can propel a team to big wins in big games for the most part. I am not sorry he's gone cause our problems run much deeper than him...

Let's see what he does with the Vikings in year 2 cause he came up very small in year one and their sportswriters wrote articles stating how he was fools gold after their bad loss at home to Chicago in Week 17 last year with the playoffs on the line. KC generated a grand total of 133 yards on 33 attempts that day....Again, at home with a win or go home scenario. He came up just as small with the Skins in big, end of the year games. I'm glad he is where he is.

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Read the article in ESPN the magazine on why the Skins and KC were in their stalemate. It speaks to Kirk's lack of confidence in making certain throws and how he's always struggled to believe in himself starting in high school. Cousins is a legit NFL QB but he has not shown that he can propel a team to big wins in big games for the most part. I am not sorry he's gone cause our problems run much deeper than him...

Let's see what he does with the Vikings in year 2 cause he came up very small in year one and their sportswriters wrote articles stating how he was fools gold after their bad loss at home to Chicago in Week 17 last year with the playoffs on the line. KC generated a grand total of 133 yards on 33 attempts that day....Again, at home with a win or go home scenario. He came up just as small with the Skins in big, end of the year games. I'm glad he is where he is.

Suuuuuurrrreeeeee.

Right now we are going to be 1-15, and the best QB we had in the past 20 years(with admitted issues) you and so many others were so gleeful to see his struggles, has the 3rd best QB rating in the NFL.  69% Completion percentage, 8.6 YPA, 18 TDs, 3 INTs.  Boy, I dont remember the last time I saw a Redskins QB with 18 TDs and 3 INTs...  

But lets all pretend that we dont want that here, because we have higher standards.

21 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Same here. Kirk came up small too many times in the games we needed to win. He is not worth what he got.

A lot players that get big contracts (especially QBs) are not worth what they get.  Kirk is a very good QB.  If the morons in charge of this team had signed him when they had the best window of opportunity the current situation with the team would be different.  IMO, it would be better.

7 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Suuuuuurrrreeeeee.

Right now we are going to be 1-15, and the best QB we had in the past 20 years(with admitted issues) you and so many others were so gleeful to see his struggles, has the 3rd best QB rating in the NFL.  69% Completion percentage, 8.6 YPA, 18 TDs, 3 INTs.  Boy, I dont remember the last time I saw a Redskins QB with 18 TDs and 3 INTs...  

But lets all pretend that we dont want that here, because we have higher standards.

Yup, way too many people in denial here l, think bruce is some genius to let him walk and alex smith is a better qb...

Buffooning the Kirk Cousins situation at every step was the best thing that Bruce and Dan could have done for all of those in denial Redskins fans who sport blackout curtains to defend from reality.

Only topped by thoroughly Beavis and Buttheading the Trent Williams hostage situation.

Now when they proclaim that "We are CLOSE!" even the most hard headed defenders have no choice but to emit a chuckle.

We'll be the closest 1-15 or 2-14 team in NFL history. :rofl89:

💩💩💩

I mean... we aren't the Vikings, folks. Very, very far from it. Kirk, to us, wasn't worth that price.

Where we messed up with Kirk was not getting him signed early and then tagging him twice. I'd be fine with him as our quarterback at a fraction of the cost. Maybe the team even has some more firepower for him and this is a fringe playoff team.

His price is too high for this franchise. Good for him and the Vikings though. And, to be honest, Kirk seems to be actively getting better. I don't think we'd have seen that kind of improvement out of him with our FO/coaching set up.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean... we aren't the Vikings, folks. Very, very far from it. Kirk, to us, wasn't worth that price.

I agree with this.  Kirk certainly isn't the type of QB that could propel this team the way it's managed.  Although, I don't believe there is any QB in the league that could propel this team to a championship the way it's currently managed.  If anything, retaining Kirk and paying him a hefty salary would only further make him the scapegoat of the franchise when we inevitably fall short.

But isn't that the sad part in all this?

If we keep everything as it is in the FO, hire a new coach, and let's just pretend Haskins ends up as good as Cousins...

We're going to be right back in the same spot with making a decision to offer a healthy chunk of our cap to a QB, to lead a team that is hamstrung by it's horrendous resource management.  That's why these conversations always tie back to the powers that be for me.  Franchise QB's that can elevate a team from the madness don't grow on trees, hell - they barely exist to begin with.  

So in essence, with things the way they are, no player is worth a top of the market contract on this team, because it's all rendered worthless when led by idiots.

8 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Suuuuuurrrreeeeee.

Never said I don't want that here, I just answered the question for the post. There's no right or wrong answer to the question. Is Kirk better than what we have right now, sure, much better. But how far did he take us when he was here? How many missed opportunities did he have? I have read articles by Minnesota sports writers who talked about what a bad signing KC was after he came up small in week 17 last year. He also has more talent around him in Minnesota than he would have here....KC is a legit pro QB but he has yet to show he can lead a team to the playoffs and actually win a playoff game, no matter what his regular season stats are.

3 hours ago, Probos said:

A lot players that get big contracts (especially QBs) are not worth what they get.  Kirk is a very good QB.  If the morons in charge of this team had signed him when they had the best window of opportunity the current situation with the team would be different.  IMO, it would be better.

This I do agree with. 

For those who haven't read this article it is a good read:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21121399/next-uneasy-marriage-kirk-cousins-redskins-nfl

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Never said I don't want that here, I just answered the question for the post. There's no right or wrong answer to the question. Is Kirk better than what we have right now, sure, much better. But how far did he take us when he was here? How many missed opportunities did he have? I have read articles by Minnesota sports writers who talked about what a bad signing KC was after he came up small in week 17 last year. He also has more talent around him in Minnesota than he would have here....KC is a legit pro QB but he has yet to show he can lead a team to the playoffs and actually win a playoff game, no matter what his regular season stats are.

Well, you can be glad he is where he is because some guys in Minnesota wrote bad articles about him.  But Im not glad to have a worse player instead of him.  

Ive no doubt KC has yet to show he can lead a team to playoff wins, because he spent his entire career at a playoff devoid franchise full of the level of talent we have(or dont).

21 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

...KC is a legit pro QB but he has yet to show he can lead a team to the playoffs and actually win a playoff game, no matter what his regular season stats are.

Not that I want KC here to further mask the buffoonery, but we haven't had a QB like that since Mark Rypien on a totally stacked team so he likely doesn't qualify either considering what he turned into after that season.

Joe Theismann in 1983 for 1 single season was that QB.

Like many of you, I'm annoyed/pissed that they didn't lock him up earlier.   I wouldn't have wanted him at the price that Minnesota signed him for.

If anyone wants to be 100% honest in assessing Cousins, you need to take into account the defensive coordinators employed under Gruden during the time that Cousins was here.  You can't tell the whole story about Cousins and his W/L record and the teams he played on without looking at that.

A lot of people want to think that a QB can mask a teams deficiencies and put that team over the top.  Maybe there are a couple that can, but Cousins was never that guy.  He wasn't advertised as such and so to lay those expectations on him was unfair.  He wasn't Peyton Manning but then again not many are.  All this hero ball talk about "not winning the big game" and "comebacks in the 4th quarter" gets tiresome after awhile.  Football fans have the biggest boner for stuff like that for some reason, I don't particularly understand it.  

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Not that I want KC here to further mask the buffoonery, but we haven't had a QB like that since Mark Rypien on a totally stacked team so he likely doesn't qualify either considering what he turned into after that season.

I've been a Skins fan since 1972 and they have not had a QB who had a nice 10 year run in my lifetime. We've never had a franchise QB to count on like many other franchises have and that's intriguing to me. We're probably incredibly lucky to have seen 1 SB win let alone 3. That being said, there have been teams that we've seen who have gone years with the guy they hoped would be the answer and it never happened. I believe that's what we had in KC had he stayed here. 

Theismann was a great leader, especially during that strike/SB season....I remember Rypien being told by Gibbs to step up or he was gone, he sure stepped up. He's a good comparison to KC in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I think you are selling Theismann short.  He had a good 7 year run.  Played great in 1979 and should have made the playoffs -defense let that team down.  

Archived