Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

2 hours ago, profusion said:

In the alternate dimension where you guys are envisioning Cousins as a Redskin in 2019, does he have the same putrid supporting cast that the 2019 Redskins do in our dimension? Because nobody short of a Brady/Rodgers/Brees type is getting anywhere with this bunch.

I think the current Redskins offensive personnel is better than the group Kirk finished 7-9 with during 2017.   As you may remember played behind a patchwork OL  a poor corps of running backs and receivers.  Remember how the Skins let Jackson & Garcon in favor of Doctson and Pryor, who sucked.  Somehow Kirk managed to chuck and duck his way to 4K yards.  I think Cousins could produce a 9-7 division championship with the 2019 OL healthier and the RB and Receiving corps better than 2017.  So to answer your question, I think with Cousins playing QB the Redskins would've had a chance to win the NFC Least with a 9-7 record.

Just checked out the Vikings highlights.  Yeah sure Cousins threw for over 300 yards and 3 TD's, and sure his team is 8-3, and sure he is one of the top QB's in the league right now  but aren't the Skins glad they let him go as clearly expert minds can see he isn't all that good. The future looks bright here in DC with Haskins at the helm!  😜

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4C_i13mxg&feature=onebox

21 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I still don't regret losing Cousins. At the same time, I do regret keeping Allen.

This.

Cousins would absolutely not be putting those numbers up here. The franchise is run extremely poorly. I think this team would be better with Cousins. I'm not sure we can even debate against that idea. But he wouldn't be doing what he is in Minnesota.

Kirk didn't have a Guice or Peterson.  He had mostly "meh" running games unless am forgetting a year but I am too lazy to look it up.  😀  The defenses he had were mostly atrocious so he'd adjust to this one fine.  When his weapons were healthy, they had the 3rd ranked offense in 2016 in yards.  This current team is ranked 31st.  We are paying more money than Minny is right now at QB.   We stink.  Minny is good.  Personally, I don't think there is a real debate about whether we are better or worse with Kirk gone.   The one wild card is if Haskins is the goods and like I said if he ends up a franchise QB, all is OK.  Will see. 

I do agree Kirk is better off in Minny because they have a competent FO who knows how to build a team, though.    If people want to argue why go 9-7 with Kirk when we can go 1-15 with our current QBs and get Chase Young -- i get that, too.  I am a big Young guy and agree Kirk would have thwarted that for sure. 😀

14 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

What did Cousins do here when we arguably had a cohesive (enough) offensive line and wide receivers?

You left out without a running game and terrible defense.  But with all of that, what did he do?  Kept us competitive.  The passing game was the sole reason we were competent on offense for the 3 years that he was the starter.  Ignoring that is ignoring reality.

21 picks, 3 Ints.  Those are crazy stats.   If people want to wait until his success carries into later in the season, I get that angle.  But otherwise?  He beat Dallas on prime time on the road, just mounted one of the biggest comebacks of all time yesterday, he beat us head to head -- its not been a good year thus far for the never Kirkers.

Call me crazy but I'd take a QB who is in the league MVP conversation even if I had some lingering doubts about clutch play.  For me its like living in the desert for decades with just water to drink, we get some high quality imported German beer yet we complain because its not high end champagne so lets go back to drinking water because at least we won't complain about being disappointed that some others have better quality drink.  

DC has come to loathe the QB here regardless of who it is. Not saying they haven't had good reasons, but no QB will ever get love in Washington unless they put up Brees/Brady numbers and won Brady numbers of Super Bowls. For every one game he loses by choking in the closing moments he'll need multiple 4th qtr comebacks to erase that.

In the end I'm happy for Kirk. He landed with a team that's surrounded him with talent. 

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Cousins would absolutely not be putting those numbers up here. The franchise is run extremely poorly. I think this team would be better with Cousins. I'm not sure we can even debate against that idea. But he wouldn't be doing what he is in Minnesota.

I've watched every Vikings game this year and last year.  Kirk there is the same as Kirk here.  He has made incremental improvements, but nothing he's done has made me say, "Wow, the old Kirk could never have done that!". 

The difference is the supporting cast. No QB can go it alone.  You need a defense and an O-line, and at least one weapon to throw to.

Kirk is absolutely a blue chip franchise QB, and would perform at a high level for any team, including those teams who already have better QBs (Saints, Seahawks).

5 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

The NeverKirkers just have to be patient and hope the Vikings are flat two weeks from now in Seattle, maybe some bigger and sharper pins for their Kirk Voodoo dolls would help.  

Yeah I know when he loses its the end of the world to some.   It's some catastrophic event.   😀  It's more fun to lose like we are now apparently because who needs a little roller coaster in a season -- a straight line even if its losing I gather is not as painful.   😀

I get if people want to wait until the season unfolds.  But at this present time, Kirk is better than good, he's playing great -- those are MVP numbers and Thielen has been a nonfactor for most of the season, their O line isn't hot and their defense is overrated.  Though they do have my 2016 draft man crush Dalvin Cook balling though. 

I've always liked Kirk more than most here.  I do understand the hesitation by some to call Kirk a great QB as opposed to a good one -- I've wrestled with that one myself and waffle on it at times.  But if he keeps going like this, he's putting together a great season.  Does he keep going?  I don't know.  But if he does, that season is better than just good, its special    I can't think of a Redskins season from a QB like that in my lifetime, I guess RG3 came close in his one magic season but even that one was just 20 TDs, Kirk already beat that with 6 games to go.   Brad Johnson's magic year here was with a 24-13 TD-INT ratio.

Like I've been saying they better have gotten Haskins right.  Otherwise this ride we seem to be on QB seems eerily similar to the depressing ride we've been on for most of the post Rypien era.  the irony for that 30-30 ESPN special that we will watch some day about the Dan era will likely include a fun chapter on QBs which I bet will include the fun fact that the dudes who showed some competency were let go, Trent Green (though I guess we can't put that on Dan), Brad Johnson, and now Kirk.  

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

This.

Kirk was putting up > 4000yds > 27 TDs > 7.5 YPA around here like clockwork.

Absolutely he'd still be putting up big numbers here.

Winning games with this franchise though? No.

Was listening to Czabe on the way home and he said something about the folks in Ashburn taking down Kirk pictures after the Alex trade, Bruce and the gang all laughing having a good time.  That was a new one, to me atleast.  Anyone recall where that came from?  I remember Cooley saying Bruce told him to get the You Like That ugly sweater out of the studio at Redskins Park.  

For all of you ignoring the fact that the Vikings only beat the Broncos, I watched our game with two Broncos fans. They said their defence was worse than ours, which was hard to imagine given how badly ours was playing against NY, and they were astonished at how the Vikings hadn't scored. Now I have seen the TDs I can see their point, their Prevent Defence made our secondary look semi-decent.

I'm not going to overlook the amazing stats Cousins is putting up but you Cousins Lover-boys need to accept he usually does that and usually doesn't beat decent teams. Same as yesterday.

He's still an obnoxious, self-centred prick and even if he wins MVP that isn't going to change.

41 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

He's still an obnoxious, self-centred prick and even if he wins MVP that isn't going to change.

Hi Mr.Allen nice of you to join the party, also this last bit couldnt further from the truth...i think you have him mixed up with one robert griffin the 3rd

Also kurt has more wins then we will have the next two years starting your new crush...and lastly no this defense is not better than the broncos defense the broncos defense is ranked 4th allowing 310 yards a game...

2 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Trust a Cousins fan to bring up RG3, you guys are pathetic.

Sorry i like the best qb we had in 25 years sorry he made us competitive with historically bad defenses that never could get off the field sorry you are living in snyder and allens utopia...theres not a team in 15+ years to let a qb of Cousins caliber just walk for free besides us, if you think you cant build a team around a qb like kirk cousins then you need to go follow another sport football is not for you. 

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Sorry i like the best qb we had in 25 years sorry he made us competitive with historically bad defenses that never could get off the field sorry you are living in snyder and allens utopia...theres not a team in 15+ years to let a qb of Cousins caliber just walk for free besides us, if you think you cant build a team around a qb like kirk cousins then you need to go follow another sport football is not for you. 

Well said!  Kirk elevated the Skins by 5 wins a year while he was starting here and now Snyder's team has regressed. 

Denver defense are worse than ours?  That really got my attention because reputation wise Denver's defense has been good for awhile, they have some talent on that side of the ball.  Offense is a different story.   But it did make me look.  Nope Denver's defense is really really good in particular their pass defense.

I don't think anyone here is a Kirk "lover" as the accusation is.   We love the Redskins.   I think the wild emotion if anything is on the good riddance Kirk (not with everyone but some) side.   If we lose a player, we hope the next guy is as good or better.  Simple as that.   It's not personal.  

I don't get emotional about ANY player on the context of them leaving. I've been ok with any player leaving if it helps the team.  If Kirk leaves and the team is better for it, terrific.   Peterson is one of my top 3 favorite players yet (I got a huge signed picture of him in my office) I pushed them to trade him before the trade deadline because I thought it will help the team.  I've been right and wrong about obtaining some players and letting some go.  Let's take Paul Richardson, I wanted him.  I was wrong.  But I admit I was wrong.  It's not a big deal, we aren't GMs and aren't paid to get personnel decisions right.  It's OK to be wrong -- as Parcells liked to say the best personnel guys get 50% of their decisions wrong.  We are just laymen. 

As for Kirk, the Redskins FO looks royally wrong.    And it gives me zero satisfaction.  Yeah I'd love it if Keenum killed it or whatever.  And am even willing to go on the ride with the neverkirkers that hey maybe he will fade at the end of the season so lets see before putting in the final verdict.  But at this moment in time when we are spending over 30 million at QB and spending more on offense than any team in the NFL yet have the 31st ranked offense and the 31st ranked team and the Vikings have one of the best offenses and at this given time one of the better rated QBs and better teams in the NFL -- call me crazy but I doubt the Vikings are saying gosh we'd trade places with the Redskins in 2 seconds, we wish we were them in particular at QB.  😀

Now maybe that will change.  And hopefully like I said Haskins emerges and then all is fine.  But at this moment in time, it doesn't look too hot at least not yet. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 7.24.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 8.05.20 AM.png

If not for many of these guys posting relentlessly that Cousins is a dbag, stat-padding choker that's not worth a ham sandwich for years, I'm not even sure this would still be a topic of conversation.  

Honestly, the only thing enjoyable about Cousins having any success is knowing how angry it makes some of these guys here.  The ironic part of it all is for being such great Redskins fans, they sure did hate on Cousins while he was a Redskin.  

Archived