Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

16 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Suuuuuurrrreeeeee.

Right now we are going to be 1-15, and the best QB we had in the past 20 years(with admitted issues) you and so many others were so gleeful to see his struggles, has the 3rd best QB rating in the NFL.  69% Completion percentage, 8.6 YPA, 18 TDs, 3 INTs.  Boy, I dont remember the last time I saw a Redskins QB with 18 TDs and 3 INTs...  

But lets all pretend that we dont want that here, because we have higher standards.

Kirk consistently put up nice stats here too. The problem he's always had is that he tends to come up short in big games. I'm curious how that will play out this year down the stretch in Minny as well.

Either way, with Kirk here we'd probably win a few more games but it wouldn't make any difference in the end, besides putting us just outside of being able to draft elite talent. 

8 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Same defensive problems KC had with Berry in 2015-2016.

My brain isn’t working after a long week so forgive me for not following your point.  Are you equating Theismann to KC?  My problem with KC was not with his numbers- it’s with the fact he shrunk in the biggest moments.  Theismann mostly rose to the occasion .

i admit I’m probably jaded by the fact that Theismann represents the best memories I have of this team during my youth.  

Also- while not upset KC left, the FO bungled the ENTIRE situation leading up

to his departure.  But, you know, Redskins..

5 hours ago, Csup said:

My brain isn’t working after a long week so forgive me for not following your point.  Are you equating Theismann to KC?  My problem with KC was not with his numbers- it’s with the fact he shrunk in the biggest moments.  Theismann mostly rose to the occasion .

i admit I’m probably jaded by the fact that Theismann represents the best memories I have of this team during my youth.  

Also- while not upset KC left, the FO bungled the ENTIRE situation leading up

to his departure.  But, you know, Redskins..

Yah “big games” good thing we wont have to worry about those for a long time...

Kirk Cousins was able to elevate a 3 & 4 win team up to the .500 level during his 3 years starting.  Clueless fans here criticized him for not be able to turn a 4-12 team to a 12-4 team.  Maybe there is an NFL quarterback that could have that kind of impact but I doubt it.  In his absence, the Skins have reverted to form.  Instead of coming to terms with their talented franchise QB and building around him they lost him and have imploded.

I think the successful teams in the League have better-supporting casts then Kirk had in DC or in Minnesota last year with its depleted OL and running backs.  This year the OL line is improved and Cook is healthy so Kirk enjoys the support of a balanced team for the first time in his career.  I think Minnesota's flaccid pass defense will be their undoing in the playoffs but they are close to a complete team.  If Zimmer could improve the pass defense by a change in the scheme or more aggressive blitzing they would have a real chance at it all. 

On 11/3/2019 at 5:28 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

Nobody is saying that. But the QB play this year has sucked, there should be little doubt had Kirk been here we would not be 1-7.

I am still amazed at the hate Kirk gets.  It's more than RGIII and that dumbass did many more thing to make us hate him. Kirk never demanded plays be removed, Kirk was never accused of failing to dedicate himself, Kirk wasn't seen blaming other players for his failures. .  No all Kirk did was determine he did not want to play for this crap of an organization.  Is throwing critical interceptions and trying to maximize his earnings all it takes to put him above Griffin on the list of hate?  Not in my book. 

I would like to think, as flawed people, we are all above hating people as a general rule, especially in the context of sports.  I do hate teams however.  The Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers quickly come to mind.  In spite of that, I clearly see your point and totally agree.  I would take Cousins over Bob every time. 

17 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk Cousins was able to elevate a 3 & 4 win team up to the .500 level during his 3 years starting.  Clueless fans here criticized him for not be able to turn a 4-12 team to a 12-4 team.  Maybe there is an NFL quarterback that could have that kind of impact but I doubt it. 

I think the successful teams in the League have better-supporting casts then Kirk had in DC

I'm not saying Kirk had an all-pro team whilst he was here, as he clearly didn't, but he was hardly throwing to Jags. He had Pierre Garcon and DJax in their prime to throw to. That's a pretty good 1-2 punch at WR with Jordan Reed about 50% of the time as the kicker. Trying to brush off and make out we were a total talent dumpster fire and poor kirk had no help is silly.

As far as I recall, nobody criticised him for not turning a 4-12 team into a 12-4 team. Firstly, we had enough talent to be better than 4-12 with even semi-competent QB play, that group is 6-10 at worst. I give Kirk credit for around 2 wins per season. The reason people criticised him had nothing to do with not singlehandedly adding 8 wins or whatever, the reasons people criticised him have already been outlined by others - he's a choker. Romo 2.0. He goes missing in the big games. Every damn time. In addition, he's great against weak teams but he comes up short in a big way against teams that are .500 or better - he's 6-28 - that is not a coincidence

Nicky J, please don't compare Fat Albert to Cousins. Fat Albert was a lazy sack of sheet w/ questionable character before he got here. They were stupid in paying him that money because he had all kind of red flags and the risk was high that they wouldn't get any kind of return on their investment.

Cousins was inside their building for years. They saw he was a hard worker, he hired his own QB coach when he got benched. He had had some huge games under Jay. I'd much rather invest in him than Haynesworth, or an older checkdown Alex, or 14 million a year in Collins.   And although Cousins is not and never will be an elite QB, he is still better than average. He is still better than anyone they've bought in here since his departure.

23 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Kirk Cousins was able to elevate a 3 & 4 win team up to the .500 level during his 3 years starting.  Clueless fans here criticized him for not be able to turn a 4-12 team to a 12-4 team.  Maybe there is an NFL quarterback that could have that kind of impact but I doubt it.  In his absence, the Skins have reverted to form.  Instead of coming to terms with their talented franchise QB and building around him they lost him and have imploded.

I think the successful teams in the League have better-supporting casts then Kirk had in DC or in Minnesota last year with its depleted OL and running backs.  This year the OL line is improved and Cook is healthy so Kirk enjoys the support of a balanced team for the first time in his career.  I think Minnesota's flaccid pass defense will be their undoing in the playoffs but they are close to a complete team.  If Zimmer could improve the pass defense by a change in the scheme or more aggressive blitzing they would have a real chance at it all. 

People forget this so easily, as did Dan and Bruce.

When we won 7 or 8 games, we had a horrid running game, a horrid defense, and the only thing that saved us many games was the passing game.

3 hours ago, Alexa said:

Nicky J, please don't compare Fat Albert to Cousins. Fat Albert was a lazy sack of sheet w/ questionable character before he got here. They were stupid in paying him that money because he had all kind of red flags and the risk was high that they wouldn't get any kind of return on their investment.

Too bad, I'm going to compare the situations anyway:

On 11/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, NickyJ said:

Multiple teams were willing to spend $100 million for Albert Haynesworth. I don't hear many people saying it was a good deal at the time lol. Someone's worth isn't what the market is willing to pay, it's what YOU are willing to pay. 

If I want a box of donuts and someone tells me I'll have to spend $30 on that box because that's what the market is going for, I'm not gonna just shell out $30 because other people are stupid enough to do it lol

Just because someone else is willing to give a player the keys to the Brinks truck doesn't mean every other team should be willing to pay the same price. If Kirk had gone to the Jets, he wouldn't have the great receivers he has in Minny. We'd be mocking the Jets for it, just as our team would still suck since our only receiver on the team is McLauren.

Kirk went off for 29/35, 3 TDs, no Ints and a passing rating of 133.2 to lead the Viking to a come from behind victory.  Just another day at the office for Cousins.  If you don't regret the Redskins losing Cousins than you deserve what you are getting from the Redskins.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/14880/kirk-cousins

Sure, if you mean competent QB play.  But no, in that I think if Cousins stuck around we'd be destined to keep the Gruden and Allen albatrosses around our necks.  One day, I hope that tasting some real bitter medicine will help us get someone better than Cousins, Gruden, and Allen.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Sure, if you mean competent QB play.  But no, in that I think if Cousins stuck around we'd be destined to keep the Gruden and Allen albatrosses around our necks.  One day, I hope that tasting some real bitter medicine will help us get someone better than Cousins, Gruden, and Allen.

So you want the asteroid to hit because you hope that the microbes that survive will evolve into a Super Bowl winner, sure that will work.

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

So you want the asteroid to hit because you hope that the microbes that survive will evolve into a Super Bowl winner, sure that will work.

What did Cousins do here when we arguably had a cohesive (enough) offensive line and wide receivers?  I have no faith in the previous coach and Cousins and he formed a symbiotic pair.  And Allen would stay regardless if he kept a competent QB.  Getting Allen and Gruden fired is not an asteroid hitting, finding a QB is difficult but not impossible.  Cardinals have a better QB now than they drafted the year before. 

10 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Dan Snyder and Bruce have never found one but you think they will soon?

According to this thread the team did in Cousins...

but did you read what I said? As long as Cousins was here, there'd be enough flashes to retain that parasite Allen.  If we go 3-13, 1-15 or something like that there's a chance Bruce goes.  Did you see the stadium today?  sparsely attended.  So Bruce wouldn't necessarily be part of that decision.

Cousins prepping to lead the Vikings on a Super-bowl run and the E.S. Brain surgeons trying to convince everyone we are better off without him.... PURE ****ING COMEDY 😆

You know, there was a time in the 80's when Madden & Summeral use to cover our games and I remember how they would always credit our fanbase as having not only the most passionate fans but the smartest ones as well.... Now ? 🤣

Archived