Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Getting into the playoffs shouldn’t be the definition of success for Kirk and the Vikings. They were doing that before he was there. He was brought in to win a Super Bowl. If they don’t do that with him at the helm, regardless of who is at fault then it’s a failure for the team and him.

So why was Alex Smith and then Haskins brought in here for?

To go 1-15?

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

That's exactly right... KC is adding little to nothing to that team and actually took them MUCH further backwards last year.

Really that hard to understand??

And can’t you understand that your rigging the game?  You’ve literally defined it in such a way that no matter the result, you won’t give any credit to KC.  

1 hour ago, TommyWilson said:

And in the first month of the season MIN fans were begging us to take him back.  He always posts great numbers and chokes when it matters most.  That's literally his defining characteristic 

Well i mean vikings fans are cry babies in general if they thought they were a great team after their 13-3 season why did they get schlacked 34-0 or whatever it was in an nfc championship game..a team on the verge of being great wouldnt do that. Also thats fine thats his defining characteristic eventually hes bound to get lucky and all the planets will be aligned but you have to play at his level in order for that to happen, currently this team doesnt have a single defining characteristic and we are the only team in 20 years to let a qb of Kirk Cousins caliber walk this december he will be playing meaningful football which he has done his entire career and we will be waiting to win in the offseason just like we have for most of the past 20 years me personally id rather have the former rather than the latter but it seems based on the reactions to this thread it seems we like to be the celler dwellers of our division and like to check out of nfl football by mid november...

1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

And can’t you understand that your rigging the game?  You’ve literally defined it in such a way that no matter the result, you won’t give any credit to KC.  

No, I gave him all the credit for what he led Minny to last year

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Lol cmon man....look at his stats this past month....face reality we are on pace to get another qb withh cousins caliber in 2034

That's one of the points and one reason I'm glad we didn't give up so much cap space for him. He is streaky and tends to play well against poor teams but tends to wilt against good teams or in big games. He did it here plenty and he's done it in Minny...and Minny has a MUCH better supporting cast than we do. He has Diggs and Thielen to throw to and one of the best RBs in the league in Cook to lean on. He's been on a streak the last few games but he was literally playing against a bunch of bottom 10 passing defenses in NYG, Philly, and Detroit (who gives up the most pass yards per game in the entire league). Against better defenses he's looked pedestrian at best. 

Good QB. Puts up some nice stats. Can help an already good team win but won't carry a team or elevate it. Streaky and not clutch in big time situations. Historically plays terribly against teams with winning records. I wouldn't mind having him but he ain't worth 84 million bucks. I'll be shocked if he ever wins a SB. Even a playoff win would surprise me a bit.

Honestly, why is their a thread on our former QB.  He's gone, get over it.

Wish him well.  I'm glad he had finally woke up this season; realizing he was heading toward being dumped.

All I care about is whether Haskins plays enough this season to show whether or not, we build around him or draft another QB next year.

Actually, even if Haskins does show us enough; I'd still look at QB in the 4th or 5th round.

4 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Well i mean vikings fans are cry babies in general if they thought they were a great team after their 13-3 season why did they get schlacked 34-0 or whatever it was in an nfc championship game..a team on the verge of being great wouldnt do that. Also thats fine thats his defining characteristic eventually hes bound to get lucky and all the planets will be aligned but you have to play at his level in order for that to happen, currently this team doesnt have a single defining characteristic and we are the only team in 20 years to let a qb of Kirk Cousins caliber walk this december he will be playing meaningful football which he has done his entire career and we will be waiting to win in the offseason just like we have for most of the past 20 years me personally id rather have the former rather than the latter but it seems based on the reactions to this thread it seems we like to be the celler dwellers of our division and like to check out of nfl football by mid november...

It's not like anyone who is a Skins fan actually likes losing, so let's put a cork in that.  That's a huge logical misstep.  We wouldn't be here if we didn't care about this team.  All the posers are long gone.

Second, Kirk is literally, literally historically bad against good teams and in primetime games.  If we had kept him, he would be very nice window dressing, but that's where it would end.  Very expensive window dressing to eke out a few more wins against bad opponents and make everyone feel a little better without actually changing a damn thing about the destiny of this organization.  Notice I didn't say team, because five years down the road we will have an almost completely different team, but the organization will be largely the same, so the results won't change.  

I like kirk.  Don't get me wrong.  He's a great guy and an above average QB, but his weaknesses directly conflict with what we need in a QB, and even if we have the best QB in the world, I doubt he could overcome our top-down organizational dysfunction.  That's actually why I'm glad we let kirk walk, so he has at least some chance to gain confidence, shore up his weakness against good teams, and maybe win something on a team that has competent ownership.  Sadly even Minnesota fits that description better than we do.  They made the NFC Championship with frigging Case Keenum.

6 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Well i mean vikings fans are cry babies in general if they thought they were a great team after their 13-3 season why did they get schlacked 34-0 or whatever it was in an nfc championship game..a team on the verge of being great wouldnt do that.

Well, they were up 7-0 and marching and then Case threw a godawful pass that was returned for a TD and that really changed the entire game. I believe Case had a couple more turnovers as well.

They were on the verge of greatness but needed someone better than Case. Kirk made sense.

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Well, they were up 7-0 and marching and then Case threw a godawful pass that was returned for a TD and that really changed the entire game. I believe Case had a couple more turnovers as well.

They were on the verge of greatness but needed someone better than Case. Kirk made sense.

Yeah but the same team was 8-8 before that season, they were good dont get

me wrong but still trying to find themselves offensively...honestly all i need to see is bruce allens record with Kirk cousins and then his record without him to understand how flawed we are on a macro level

it is interesting how many people keep mentioning his asking price and forget or fail to recognize that his price went up BECAUSE of how Bruce Allen handled the situation.  Bruce tagged him TWICE.  Unprecedentedly.   Bruce basically said he was worth 24M + a year with the tags.  It would have been negligible for Cousins' agent NOT to play that card since Bruce was the one that dealt it and turned it face up on the table for Kirk's camp. THAT is what brought up his price.  Kirk was very happy with a modest deal before the tags, and from reports, even after the first tag.  As usual, Bruce Allen screwed the pooch, and was too arrogant and stupid to own up/realize his failure and trade Cousins when he had the chance to at least get something for him.  Instead, he traded away a pick and our best, young, cheap (on a rookie contract) DB for a QB that is older and proven much less over a much longer career than Cousins, and then gave him Cousins' type money anyway.  Pure insanity.

53 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

it is interesting how many people keep mentioning his asking price and forget or fail to recognize that his price went up BECAUSE of how Bruce Allen handled the situation.  Bruce tagged him TWICE.  Unprecedentedly.   Bruce basically said he was worth 24M + a year with the tags.  It would have been negligible for Cousins' agent NOT to play that card since Bruce was the one that dealt it and turned it face up on the table for Kirk's camp. THAT is what brought up his price.  Kirk was very happy with a modest deal before the tags, and from reports, even after the first tag.  As usual, Bruce Allen screwed the pooch, and was too arrogant and stupid to own up/realize his failure and trade Cousins when he had the chance to at least get something for him.  Instead, he traded away a pick and our best, young, cheap (on a rookie contract) DB for a QB that is older and proven much less over a much longer career than Cousins, and then gave him Cousins' type money anyway.  Pure insanity.

You hit every Nail on the Head! 
you need to walk in front doors at Skins HQ and ask for a Vice President Application. 

1 hour ago, Allgoodthingscometoaend said:

You hit every Nail on the Head! 
you need to walk in front doors at Skins HQ and ask for a Vice President Application. 

Haha.  I don't think they would even accept my application because I drink real beer and am not a yes-man!

6 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Yeah but the same team was 8-8 before that season, they were good dont get

me wrong but still trying to find themselves offensively...honestly all i need to see is bruce allens record with Kirk cousins and then his record without him to understand how flawed we are on a macro level

And they were 11-5 and division winners before then. 2016 was a weird year offensively because it was the end of the AP era and they had zero run game. Calvin made a massive difference.

6 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

In a recent interview (discussed a few times here) Cousins shared wanting a guaranteed deal after the 2015 season, so saying Kirk wanted a “modest deal”wouldn’t be applicable, right?

Not coming at you with any animosity, just wondering if you knew this interview took place and the facts that came out. 

3 hours ago, illone said:

I think cousins is a guy you can build around as long as you have a competent front office, which of course we dont so he was doomed here either way.

I regret Dan buying the team more than I regret losing any player.

I regret Dan buying this team more than anything in any sport or franchise I care about. 

I regret that our FO lacks foresight, and that our ‘GM’ lacks talent, let’s his ego get in the way, lowballs people consistently and likes to take his battles to the media.  I regret letting our best qb in ages walk.  I regret that he often had a deficient team around him.  

I don’t regret not paying him 28/per.  

I think even if we matched the other teams (Vikings, Jets) on Cousins contract, he would still leave here for those other teams. And I don't blame him one bit. It would be different if we had a competent GM to eventually put the pieces together to give him some sort of a chance, but we're stuck with Bozo. So it's not really a matter of regret because we had no choice. It's more of a disappointment in what we're stuck with. 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:46 AM, CjSuAvE22 said:

This team is better than the 2017 team kirk had with ap and mclaurin..and we were only two games out of playoff contention then. Think about the Saints game we had a two touchdown lead with what 3 mins left? And we lose that?? The defense today would not do that...we are 1-7 because we cant score it would be different without cousins. 

Wait...what? 

So all we are missing this year is Kirk and because we have MaLaurin and AP and 26th ranked D, we would have gone to the SB this year? :rofl89::rofl89::rofl89:

21 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

So why was Alex Smith and then Haskins brought in here for?

To go 1-15?

Alex Smith was brought in to be a slight improvement over Cousins best and Haskins was broiught in for the future.

6 hours ago, Allgoodthingscometoaend said:

Kirk will end his 12-15 year career with a Super Bowl Win while the Skins continue to pile of years of not even getting to the playoffs. 
In my opinion we blew the best chance of building a Winner in DC. 

Kirk isn't winning a Super Bowl

Archived