Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next GM?

skins2victory

4 minutes ago, PI87 said:

Not saying Sweat was amazing this year, but he did have 7 sacks which is 5th among all rookies, and of the 4 in front of hin only Maxx Crosby was picked after him. Also had more tackles than the 4 with more sacks and accounted for 2 forced fumbles.

in a 4-3 scheme he should be even better. I wouldn't judge this pick yet (even though I'd love to have our 2nd round pick back)

It’s easy to see why my post would read as sarcasm, but I love Montez Sweat. I was disappointed by his performance this year, but I’m bullish on the big guy. Kyle Smith, according to humans who would know, had him in his top 5 of last years draft.

47 minutes ago, volsmet said:

It’s easy to see why my post would read as sarcasm, but I love Montez Sweat. I was disappointed by his performance this year, but I’m bullish on the big guy. Kyle Smith, according to humans who would know, had him in his top 5 of last years draft.

Yep, totally seemed sarcastic lol nevermind my post !

" The Vikings’ handling of the contract situations of GM Rick Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer will be interesting in the coming months. There’d been rumors floating around that the Redskins were preparing for a run at Spielman, maybe after the draft. (Spielman and Rivera were actually together with the Bears in the 1990s.) And Zimmer’s status had come into question in recent weeks, with some speculation that Stefanski could take over if contracts went sideways or the team got blown out in the wild card round. That didn’t happen, of course, so it’s status quo for now. " Link

Every time I here Riddick speak about controversial situations with football teams, he always mentions the word agenda. He seems to loath people with agendas. I personally hate agendas too. We obviously suffered many years with one ass (or maybe even more guys in the Ashburn) with an agenda. So in that regard, if Riddick's action are in tune with what he says about agendas, I'd welcome him here. Now I'll stop saying that word.

But based on the current structure, the team my not need a GM per se. Rob Rogers seems to have 25 years experience working contract negotiations among a myriad of other things I find pretty intriguing (such as being in charge of analytics).  For all intents and purposes, he's pretty much doing GM stuff, just with a different title. Looks like we want Kyle to expand his role of picking all the players (college and FAs) with the coach heavily involved (which I like as well). So with Rogers working his lane, a GM seems to be just another layer, which I am not in favor of. Rogers is Harvard Grad for whatever that's worth. 

Just to parrot how good it is that Bruce Allen is gone, 49ers are gonna play for the super bowl w/ a coach we couldnt use, rams played with a coach we couldnt use and the Chiefs will play leveraging resources they fleeced us for a mediocre QB who will never play again.  bruce is the worst

9 hours ago, ggarriso said:

Just to parrot how good it is that Bruce Allen is gone, 49ers are gonna play for the super bowl w/ a coach we couldnt use, rams played with a coach we couldnt use and the Chiefs will play leveraging resources they fleeced us for a mediocre QB who will never play again.  bruce is the worst

307d157fe2c4250ad7650ecbb53e2808.png

^^ My thoughts exactly

As hard as it is, (and yes it's hard for me too), we have to accept that that was then, this is now. Things have radically changed, it's stunning how much how fast, and IMO the only thing that keeps nagging my well earned Skins paranoia is will TheDan let things run without his needing to have them be BFFs? We have not had a complete consistent solid structure to the franchise in decades, it has always been warring factions and competing egos. This genuinely does feel different.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:51 PM, SkinsFTW said:

latest?cb=20120308131634

How long did that one last?

We will see.

Dan was only a few years out of college when he ****ed this one up. This was Dan's pre-Joe Gibbs mentorship/friendship stage. I choose to think (or at least hope) that Dan and Joe's relationship has grown Dan. Hopefully Dan now understands that Joe's success comes from surrounding himself with competent people with solid integrity and character. Looking back at the leaks, media **** storms, goofy ass videos of coaches getting their nipples pinch (WTF!) and all the dumb quotes from the dumb and dumber GMs and coaches alike, its been a helluva **** show over the past 20 years. But now that I think about it, the new era starts and Dan leads it off by saying happy thanksgiving. Holy ****!

Breaking News-  Former Skins General Manager, Scott M. has been a front office consultant to the Eagles since 2017.   Well well looks like Scott got the last laugh on Allen.

Allen is gone and Scott M. is working for one of our division rivals.  Wonder what the Danny thinks about this breaking media report?  Probably does not care at this point.

Is this in the same way that Scot used to consult with a bunch of teams about prospects, with his scouting side business? Or is this a closer relationship where the Eagles directly hired him, exclusively? Interesting nonetheless. Funny it hasn't really been out there till now, I wonder why. Whatever lawsuit he didn't win against us? I wonder if that was a black eye from the perspective of the NFL, making him kind of a hot name for the wrong reasons, so the Eagles swooped in. 

Who knows. 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Is this in the same way that Scot used to consult with a bunch of teams about prospects, with his scouting side business? Or is this a closer relationship where the Eagles directly hired him, exclusively? Interesting nonetheless. Funny it hasn't really been out there till now, I wonder why. Whatever lawsuit he didn't win against us? I wonder if that was a black eye from the perspective of the NFL, making him kind of a hot name for the wrong reasons, so the Eagles swooped in. 

Who knows. 

I think it's the former. It was widely reported that McCloughan "joined" the Cleveland Browns as a consultant for the 2018 NFL Draft. Not sure how he does that if he's an Eagles employee. Sounds like he's just providing any team with scouting info that wants it (and will pay)

On 1/22/2020 at 9:44 PM, Jericho said:

I think it's the former. It was widely reported that McCloughan "joined" the Cleveland Browns as a consultant for the 2018 NFL Draft. Not sure how he does that if he's an Eagles employee. Sounds like he's just providing any team with scouting info that wants it (and will pay)

That exactly what he's doing. McCloughan has always provided consultation. He runs a scouting service. He also has a podcast for what its worth. I haven't listened to it. Just saw it actually.

https://www.spreaker.com/show/instinctive-scouting-podcast

On 1/20/2020 at 5:34 AM, ggarriso said:

" Kittle and Sherman are two of the reasons why the 49ers are back in the Super Bowl, and as long as they’re on the team they’ll influence teammates to behave the same way, inspiring more leaders and creating a culture of self-starters who allow Shanahan and the coaching staff to focus on things other than getting the players in the right frame of mind to do their jobs." link

Eat this Bruce and your damned culture

Elliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith have been freed from their Cleveland contracts...Wolf especially would be a good get as a senior personnel guy. Not sure if he knows Kyle or would want to work under/with someone less experienced though. 

People have said we don't need a GM right now, because we're all set for the draft anyway, due to the work our scouting dept has already completed.

But what about Free Agency ?

We not only don't have a GM for that, but we don't have Eric Schaefer either.

So is this Rodgers guy supposed to handle the FA aspect mostly, at least the financial side ?

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

People have said we don't need a GM right now, because we're all set for the draft anyway, due to the work our scouting dept has already completed.

So is this Rodgers guy supposed to handle the FA aspect mostly, at least the financial side ?

It seems to me that Kyle Smith and Alex Santos will evaluate the talent, Ron gives the go-ahead, and then Rodgers does the financials/negotiating.

37 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The draft is considered the end of the cycle. It is quite normal for teams to not bring in a new GM until after the draft. At this time they already know who they want if they become available. And yes Rodgers is the contract guy as far as I can tell. 

If they come out of the draft and decide they do not need a GM, I will be disappointing. But for now, as I said this is actually quite normal. 

On 1/25/2020 at 7:34 AM, KDawg said:

You know why he said Happy Thanksgiving, right?

It's not because he got his holidays confused...

Because we're all supposed to be thankful that he finally, after a decade, fired his fellow buffoon and hired his 8th or 9th coach?

He should have said Happy Groundhog Day instead. Might have gotten a better reaction too.

7 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Because we're all supposed to be thankful that he finally, after a decade, fired his fellow buffoon and hired his 8th or 9th coach?

He should have said Happy Groundhog Day instead. Might have gotten a better reaction too.

No. But I like it. So take your laughy reaction face and like it.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think people basically answered this, but to be clear, Rob Rogers directly replaces Schaffer. Whatever Schaffer did, Rogers now does.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera in an interview today said Kyle Smith's last few drafts (which he was impressed with) is part of why he wanted to keep-elevate him.  That seemed obvious but he flat out said it today. 

SIP, your talking about not having interest in E. Wolf and keeping Smith as our GM in waiting?

Archived