Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next GM?

skins2victory

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Stop, no.

Speilman retained so that narrative can die as well. 

I hope it's not Morroco Brown. 

What's wrong with Brown? He's not my favorite but I do see positive things he's done in Indianapolis. I don't know how his player grades have done vs others but from the outside it looks good. 

8 hours ago, Burgold said:

During the glory years, Gibbs was the coach with all the power and Casserly was the GM who worked to try to fulfill the coach's vision. I suspect that's the model that Rivera is thinking about.

Bethard was the GM with the power who hired Gibbs.  Casserly was his underling who took over when Bethard left.  

The dirty little secret js Casserly wasn’t that good and completely bolloxed up the expansion Texans. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The dirty little secret js Casserly wasn’t that good and completely bolloxed up the expansion Texans. 

The 90s Redskins after Gibbs proves that it wasn't even close to being a secret.

Lots of fans were excited to see him fired and didn't know why Snyder would keep Norv.

14 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Has it been reported why Schaffer might not be retained?

12 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Not yet about Schaffer but I would guess that he is too closely associated with Allen's tenure and they just want to bring in someone new.

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Bethard was the GM with the power who hired Gibbs.  Casserly was his underling who took over when Bethard left.  

This is true although Behard left in large part because the power shifted away from him and to Joe.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001094168/article/vikings-intend-to-retain-mike-zimmer-rick-spielman

The Minnesota Vikings threw support behind their head coach and general manager.

"We value Mike and Rick's leadership and we have every intent of Mike continuing as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings and Rick leading our football operations, next year and beyond," Vikings owner Mark Wilf said in a statement obtained by NFL Network.

Both Zimmer and Spielman are under contract in Minnesota through the 2020 season.

Spielman has been with the Vikings organization since 2006 and held the title of general manager since 2012.

(Minnesota splurged for starting quarterback Kirk Cousins in the 2018 offseason. The Vikings missed the postseason in 2018 but returned this year)

Minnesota's showing in the Superdome will make or break its season, but according to Vikings ownership, it won't have an effect on the job status of Zimmer or Spielman.

I recall not loving Morroco Brown's FA moves at the time when he was here and not understanding the hype I guess I'll dive back into him.  I recall Laconfora worshipped him for whatever reason.  I like the Colts drafts for the most part which he's recently been a part of and I like that he's worked with Ballard.

https://www.dailypress.com/dailypress/dp-spt-teel-column-morocco-brown-cleveland-20140525-column.html

A Hampton native and Kecoughtan High graduate, Brown served as Washington's director of pro personnel for six years. He worked the seven previous seasons as the Chicago Bears' assistant director of pro personnel.

"I was in a situation where my contract was up with Washington," Brown said during a phone interview from Cleveland's draft room, "and after the draft (last week), everyone was a free agent. (The Redskins) couldn't block me. We'd had some contract discussions dating back to January but just couldn't get anything done. (The Browns) offered what the Redskins didn't."

I think one of the last major things I attributed to M Brown was the franchise tagging of Orakpo when he clearly didn't deserve it. I felt it hamstrung the team and sent the wrong message as to who was deserving of money. And the team ended up just letting him walk without even trying to trade him. 

And the team has needed an elite speed edge rusher since his before his time, all those years back, what was that 2015? 

@Gibbs Hog Heaven had a great Orakpo thread which spelled out how inflated fan's view were of the pass rusher. That was even prior to the tagging, IIRC.

Well, we know the answer in the upcoming draft. 

7 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Redskins One of only Two Teams to Jump !

I saw so many empty seats during the second half of the season, I couldn't believe we actually increased our attendance with 3 wins ! :unsure:

Washington is a tourist destination and it's a cheap ticket for opposing fans with a high probability they'd win.

When I went to tampa last year there was unquestionably more skins fans than bucs fans for the same reason.

Brown is obviously an intelligent person. When I listen to his interviews I can clearly understand his mission statement and methodology. To get employed elsewhere indicates someone who is well organized. 

Buy ultimately, as with ever single talent evaluator, it comes down to which guy/s you choose. You are who you pick. And your legacy, or portfolio, is how those guys play, perform, meet and exceed expectation, or fall short. 

So, you can be smart and well spoken but still get it wrong at a worse percentage than your competition with who to draft, or who to re-sign, or which FA to spend on.  

Happens. Not that everything is wrong, just not a firebrand. 

Former-Eagles' President Joe Banner's take:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/joe-banner-eagles-seahawks-wild-card-playoff-nfc-east-carson-wentz-trust-young-receivers-jimmy-haslam-browns-ron-rivera-redskins-20200104.html

Domo: Big changes in Washington. In a very long overdue move, Dan Snyder finally canned his front-office chief, Bruce Allen. And he hired Ron Rivera to be the team’s head coach. Given Snyder’s meddling ways and difficulty keeping holidays straight, is Ron making a big mistake taking that job?

Banner: Ron definitely is walking into a difficult situation. I worked with Ron for years and have high regard for him. Ron, in my view, when he first went to Carolina, put together an exceptional coaching staff to support him. As time went on and some of those coaches left, I’m not sure the replacements were quite as strong. 

So it’s crucial that he go back to the drawing board and create a staff in Washington that was as strong as the one he put together in Carolina. But the huge question there is who’s going to be the GM and is Dan Snyder going to let that GM and Ron make the decisions. History says be skeptical. 

It sounds like Ron is going to have some input into who the GM is going to be. I can’t exaggerate how crucial that is. They’ve got to find the right person to do that, or Ron will end up being frustrated and Dan will end up not being happy that he made the hire.

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Redskins One of only Two Teams to Jump !

I saw so many empty seats during the second half of the season, I couldn't believe we actually increased our attendance with 3 wins ! :unsure:

FWIW - had a lot to do with promoting ticket sales to away fans after the Lafimina crew were fired.

Smith may be an elite GM, but the players he has picked have underperformed. Let’s see how these players do under Ron. If they take the next step this year then we know it was a coaching issues and not an evaluation issue. 

Have they said it has there been any indication that the Redskins will hire front office people soon or that they will wait until after the draft?

Has there been any rumblings of front office people from other teams being brought in to interview? All I've heard are coaches and the trainer from the Panthers.

My guess is this is a process that will take a long time to assemble the front office structure.

I saw Paton somewhere else too as a person they are considering, forget where maybe a WP article.

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 2.40.52 PM.png

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Have they said it has there been any indication that the Redskins will hire front office people soon or that they will wait until after the draft?

Has there been any rumblings of front office people from other teams being brought in to interview? All I've heard are coaches and the trainer from the Panthers.

My guess is this is a process that will take a long time to assemble the front office structure.

Have heard mixed things as to beat guys.  Some say might go down quickly others saying maybe after the draft, so am guessing no one has a beat on it so to speak.  Russell on the radio today said contrary to the reports that it might take some time, he's heard it could happen fast. 

Archived