Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the next GM?

skins2victory

Understandably, the focus here is on GMs w football experience but w the departure of BA, DS also has a void to fill w regards to the stadium issue.

This is a transcript from a recent John Fredericks show with Sen Chap Peterson, D-Fairfax:

“Well you know, John, I usually don’t talk about my personal future on media shows…y’all got more important stuff to talk about. I’ll just say that I’ve been a Redskins supporter all my life  and I’m obviously a season ticket holder and I’ve sort of worked with the team on various things, informal things. You know, I was friends with Bruce and obviously he got fired and that was tough. But you know the bottom line is I’m here in whatever capacity the team needs me. I hope I could be helpful and if that’s a professional position, then that’s something I might consider, but that’s all I can say right now…

“If I was to ever be in a position like that, the first thing I would do is at every home game I’d be in the parking lot, shaking hands with fans, going to tailgates, meeting people, meeting the customers. You know, for me, I wouldn’t worry about the on-field product per se. I think you hire the top football guys to do that. Your job is to be out meeting your customers and doing that 24/7. If you got to stand at the gate a Redskins park and shake people’s hands on the way into practice or stand at the gate of FedEx Field and shake people’s hands on the way into the game, you want people to talk to you, you want to be talking to the fans 100%.

You know, teams go up and down on the field. What’s concerning to me about the Redskins is their fan base has eroded substantially, substantially in the last 10, 15 years, and we all see that. And part of that’s the team’s been unsuccessful on the field. But part of it is, for some whatever reason, they lost their identity – and that’s something they need to recapture. You’re a  hundred percent correct.

Let me tell you something, there’s been more enthusiasm in the DC area in the past 72 hours than I’ve seen in the last, you know, almost since Obama was elected. I’m not exaggerating; people love the Redskins. People like me who grew up here, there’s nothing like it. It goes to the core of our DNA in this area. You know people like Sonny Jurgensen, you know you name the names… these are legends, these are names that they walk into any restaurant in the DC area, they’re not paying for their dinner…We need to get that back. We need to get Redskins fans back in the stadium. We need to get them you know back in the seats. We need to take back our house.

And again, if I could play a role in that, great. You know, right now I’m focused on the Senate, my Senate tenure, and I’m excited for that…but I will tell you as I believe the Redskins have a positive role in this community it brings people together across racial, ethnic, political lines, and that’s an important institution and it shouldn’t go away.”

Senator Peterson was also one of the founders of the Redskins Caucus in the General Assembly.

just throwing it out there that there may be more to the Redskin’s GM position than just football.......at least from a DS perspective

Before they hired Ron Rivera as their new head coach this past week, the Washington Redskins came close to hiring former Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith as their president to run the team, league sources told ESPN.

Smith and Redskins owner Daniel Snyder had multiple meetings in the Bahamas, formulating a vision for the struggling franchise, according to sources.

Sources familiar with the situation expected a deal to get done and Smith to be in charge of the Redskins.

But Snyder ultimately opted to run his franchise through his head coach instead of a president, bestowing the power to Rivera, who was officially hired Wednesday.

The meetings in the Bahamas also proved that Smith is ready to return to the NFL at a time when some wondered when or whether he would, with good reason. Smith has spent the past year out of football, tending to his three children after his wife, Tiffany, died of cancer Jan. 31.

Smith got far along in his talks with Washington, and one source predicted it won't be long before he returns to a prominent position in the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

I am not that familiar with Louis Riddick - even though he was with the Redskins for a time.  Why is his name so hot for our GM position?  I didn't think he had really done anything other than be on TV.

His name isn't hot in NFL circles. It's ever-present in media circles for the obvious reason. 

19 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

I am not that familiar with Louis Riddick - even though he was with the Redskins for a time.  Why is his name so hot for our GM position?  I didn't think he had really done anything other than be on TV.

Really good guy but probably the weakest compared to other GM's being talked about.  If they don't want a super strong personality with a big ego in the FO, he's probably the guy.  He seems like a really good get along, go along guy.  It kind of reminds me of the Shanahan/Lynch relationship.

Much will be determined in the next four months. Smith gets to run another draft, Santos gets to run another free agency. Rivera has made clear he wants a "collaborative" approach and has met with all of the current front office members. 

It's also entirely possible Rivera hires somebody from out of the organization that meshes with his vision to run the team going forward. 

One league source said to keep an eye on Bills assistant general manager Joe Schoen. Rivera has close ties to Buffalo GM Brandon Beane, and Schoen has been his top lieutenant since 2017. Schoen has scouting experience and ties to Carolina as well. He worked in Miami before he made the move to Buffalo. 

CBS reported that the Redskins could pursue a reunion with Morocco Brown. He has experience in the Redskins front office, has a strong performance record now in Indianapolis, and has ties to Rivera from the Bears. Brown could be a slam dunk, particularly considering he has strong relationships with Snyder and Joe Gibbs, something that is very much an asset.  

There has also been plenty of speculation around Vikings executive vice president and general manager Rick Spielman being a possible Rivera front office target. The two have a long-standing relationship and Spielman's time with the Vikings has been largely successful. That speculation took a hit this week as Vikings ownership came out and said that both Spielman and head coach Mike Zimmer will continue in their roles in Minnesota for the future. 

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I would be amazed if this dragged on until May. A compromise will be reached so that he gets his target earlier. That would be my guess.

It really wouldn't be a surprise. Most of the names floated will not be let go by their current team until their draft work is done. Nobody is letting their #2 talent evaluator out the door this time of year, it's rare

54 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It really wouldn't be a surprise. Most of the names floated will not be let go by their current team until their draft work is done. Nobody is letting their #2 talent evaluator out the door this time of year, it's rare

Dont disagree with that notion, but it is a strange situation whereby I would feel confident in saying IF Rivera knows who he wants, and that individual is out of contract in May, and all parties concerned know what move is happening in May, then remaining focused elsewhere for another 4 months seems a somewhat protracted way about things.

That said, most people on ES could run the first 2 days of our draft this year so there is no need to rush it :rofl89:

Archived