Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Remember it was Rivera that benched Newton, obviously much more established than Haskins, just for not wearing a tie.

Not saying it's just a temporary benching for Haskins, or that it was for something trivial.

But clearly Rivera stands by his demands, in what he expects of all his players ; no exceptions.

Also, with him going through cancer and cancer treatment, I imagine he probably has a lower tolerance for "uncooperativeness"

Here in CO listening to Altitude sports radio, mostly Denver sports talk... one report said Haskins wasn't at practice? Did he hit the pouty button and bail?? 

I just want a qb, not even wins at this point but hope. Who is out there?? Brett Rypien? Raw but at least he can huck it down field!!! Tyrod after his lung heals? Id even be ok to see what the practice squad qb CUs Steven Montez can do (yaaa not much).... but seriously, Kyle Allen? Kill me now. 1% better than his year last year compared to Haskins this year... and what 50/50 td int ratio?! Sooooooon ova

Crap. If Haskins is done in DC (maybe he grows, maybe RGKiiis knee and ability to process a coverage heals) whats next? We hope the NY teams pass on TLaw? 

This sucks yo

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jeff George had an ok career. He probably had the best arm since Dan Marino. He had some good years in Atlanta and Indy. Never lived up close to his potential but he wasn’t an abject failure. If he had a better attitude he had hall of fame talent but wasn’t a complete waste. He must have played 10 or 12 years. He was supposed to be our super bowl QB under Dan’s free agent spree team in 2000.

We must he thinking of two vastly different Jeff George’s. Dude had one good Season and that was for a 4-12 Oakland team. He had a terrible career.

8 hours ago, megared said:

If Alex Smith is on your team AND Alex Smith is ALWAYS the first/last to arrive/leave...how could Haskins then be first/last to arrive/leave? 

Beyond that, how many of those times was it where Alex's car was in the parking lot, but he was doing individual rehab, training, etc?  I don't think it's a fair comparison to make, especially when you can't/won't articulate how he is preparing below what other 1st rounders ARE doing.  NOT what YOU would like to see/hear them to do.

Missing practices, falling asleep in meetings, hungover at walkthroughs...those are valid.  Not working as hard as a dude that had to work just to save his leg, then his career lacks perspective.  Especially when you're placing that on the shoulders of a 23 year old. 

My question is did you really expect him to navigate a new coach, new offense, and blossom in 4 games?  Like what jump were you expecting to see by now?  Do you think him sleeping in the facility 24/7 would've changed any of that?  (I don't) 

It’s not about actually being Smith. It’s about following his example.

He didn’t want to listen to AP or Thomas Davis. He doesn’t care about things vets do or say. 

In four games you want your QB to listen to the coaches instead of pretending he knows more than them. 

Haskins carries himself like he’s been there done that but then has no idea what to do in the moments that matter. He may have fared better if he prepared more like Smith and less like Haskins. 

Not more than Smith. 

More like Smith.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some parts from a Standig article he just put up

I actually don’t think Rivera has been hamstrung with the Haskins selection.

Rivera has basically had a free turn at the table to see if Haskins has the tools. He’s quickly decided there are issues to be addressed, whatever they become labelled as, and he’s dropped him. You can all but say that is Haskins shelved for 2020. Time for him to behave like a pro and learn the game. Or he’s done.

Rivera has no previous with Haskins. He either lucked into a young starting QB, which appears unlikely right now, or he’ll go find his own guy.

Kyle Allen is no Tom Brady, but trading a 5th for him was more than Haskins depth/insurance at the time. He was clearly the perceived placeholder for this offense this year and it’s only take Rivera 4 game to implement that. And he likely thinks it’s only cost one game as he’d envisage sitting at 2-2 right now. That’s my guess anyway.

9 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I'm still wrapping my head around this.. basically we are chasing a weak division title and first round exit, this season, for the sake of building a long term winning team.

Same old Washington.

I think that is where people are going wrong. I see the change as Kyle Allen being more beneficial to building a long winning team. Isn’t Rivera basically saying Haskins is too far down the learning curve to really help right now?

And that doesn’t mean Allen is the future at all. It just means he’s better for the wider development of the team right now.

7 hours ago, megared said:

My question is did you really expect him to navigate a new coach, new offense, and blossom in 4 games?  Like what jump were you expecting to see by now?  Do you think him sleeping in the facility 24/7 would've changed any of that?  (I don't) 

I agree, Haskins living at the facility 24-7 wouldn't have fixed his flaws as a QB.   Daniel Jones as an example according to a NY reporter is a maniac as for work habits, shows up to the facilities at times before 5 am, etc.    He's still struggiling so it doesn't guarantee anything.  But....

But in all my time following football, i don't think I recall a narrative that intense about a rookie QB as intense as Haskins for not putting in the time.  If all these stories are true, it doesn't come off like the dude has the consistent drive needed to excel.  Guys like Brady and Manning were known as workaholics from the jump versus were known for not putting in the time and then they all of a sudden awoke.   The only dude that i recall in recent years who was described as someone who didn't put in the time was Josh Rosen.  But some contradicted that, so who knows.

As for Haskins part of my optimism before the season was that he seemed to turn the corner on this front.  And we saw videos of him working his body, etc, which was cool to see.  But one beat guy (forgetting whom) said Haskins wasn't the first to leave, last to go in camp. and no he didn't say it in a way where Haskins was the 2nd to last to leave and second to first to arrive because Alex just barely beat him on both fronts.  then we got that WP story.  So I am gathering he might not have been going the extra mile as to preperation.  I agree with your point that it might not have been the be all and end all. But it might be part of the soup.  His offensive coach said if I recall in his first press conference this:  juxtapose those comments with Rivera's comments yesterday about knowing the system, etc.

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/five-takeaways-redskins-offensive-coordinator-scott-turner-conference-call

3. Turner wants Dwayne Haskins to be the "most committed guy in the building."

As the quarterbacks coach for the Carolina Panthers last season, Turner evaluated Haskins throughout the draft process and had him rated "pretty high" coming out of Ohio State.

All of the physical tools were there, Turner said; it was more a matter of experience. After all, Haskins joined the Redskins with just one year as a college starter.

For Turner, those assessments still hold true following Haskins' first NFL season. He thought Haskins improved throughout the year, but the 15th overall pick still only started seven games after playing sparingly the first half of the season.

With more experience, Turner believes Haskins could be a "really good player." Whether that happens or not will come down to his commitment level.

Regardless of physical attributes, Turner said the starting quarterback needs to be the "most committed guy in the building." That's who Cam Newton was in Carolina when he won Rookie of the Year in 2011. It's who Teddy Bridgewater was with the Minnesota Vikings when he set several franchise records as a rookie in 2014 and made the Pro Bowl a year later.

Turner and his coaching staff will challenge Haskins to assume a similar role in Washington.

"If you're the last guy in, the first guy to leave, you don't have a mastery of the offense as a quarterback. If you try to tell somebody else what to do or try to step into a leadership-type role, it is not going to work and no one is going to listen to you," Turner said. "The quarterback has to spend his time so he knows the offense better than anybody. He has to know it like a coach and he has to be able to present that on the field and present that confidence when he is running the show. That takes work to get to that and guys see it. Guys see when it is there and guys see when it is not."

from Standig

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 7.21.18 AM.png

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

I'm still wrapping my head around this.. basically we are chasing a weak division title and first round exit, this season, for the sake of building a long term winning team.

Same old Washington.

How are the two mutually exclusive? Could it maybe might possibly maybe be that they’ve already determined Haskins doesn’t have it and won’t get it? Doesn’t mean Allen does, either. Could just mean the QB doesn’t exist on the roster yet.

10 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

How are the two mutually exclusive? Could it maybe might possibly maybe be that they’ve already determined Haskins doesn’t have it and won’t get it? Doesn’t mean Allen does, either. Could just mean the QB doesn’t exist on the roster yet.

Agree.  To me that seems plainly obvious.  Rivera isn't a dope.  Zampese who many lauded here when we brought him on isn't a dope.  If they thought the dude was brimming with talent and on the verge of being a franchise QB but gosh screw that, screw 2021 and beyond, lets win a few games now with that dude Kyle Allen, and let some other team harvest the fruits of Haskins impending stellar career.   Then they'd be Zorn level dopes.  But this is the coach of the year for 2 seasons -- Rivera is a smart guy.  Zampese has been around many QBs.  He's a smart guy.  Clearly, they are willing to bet that Haskins isn't going to be a franchise QB.  And clearly, they don't think its that hard of a decision.  Will see if they are right.  

The same old Washington part of this is they struck out at QB again and Dan had his hand in that.    Same old Washington would be riding Haskins  for years, sticking to a stay patience narrative, because the owners loves him.  What young Qbs have we dumped because we didn't think they had what it takes that killed it elsewhere?    Be one thing if Campbell, Ramsey, Beck, RG3 -- you name it just went on to greener pastures elsewhere but that hasn't happened. 

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

Same old Washington.

😁 God forbid if we try to win, every game this year (except maybe the Ravens game) we were in it.  This team is better than what people think, getting better QB play can put us over the hump of at least being respectable. 

It was pretty concerning for me the comment he made after I think our second loss. 

"I can't sit here and act like I have arrived or made it. I mean, I made it but there is a long way to go." 

100% possible I'm reading too much into it, but I was concerned he thought making it to the NFL meant he "made" it. That seems like a bad mentality to have. He said he can't act like he had made it but then had to correct himself and insist that he had made it and would keep working. 

Just listened to Shawn Springs.  I like Springs but don't love all of his takes here.  His take is this likely means Haskins is done here but he doesn't know for sure.  He's probably right about that.  But he excused the agent's tweet, more or less saying if its true he has the right to say it and he doubts that bothered Rivera.    He did his usual its the supporting cast drill -- when Sheehan mentioned Alex starting he goes he'd be afraid for him with that O line.

Look I get the supporting cast isn't hot.   But I don't think its healthy for Dwayne and the people around him to strongly have a scapegoat in their head for his performances.  Just go out there and play the best you can. 

Shawn agreed with Shanny's take (Shanny said this pre benching) that if Dwayne got benched its likely to be more abouit what has happened during practice during the weeks versus the games.

Springs prefers Rivera was honest if its him not thinking Haskins is the guy, he should just say I don't think he's good.   Personally, I think that would be dumb if the idea is to try to get some trade value, you don't devalue your assets.

And I know for some here they are bothered by Rivera's I want to win now line.  And I agree its a soft excuse for benching him and unlikely the main plot.  But I think some people would be much harsher on Rivera if he leveled Haskins.  If you guys recall Jay did that to RG3 in 2014, and nope he wasn't celebrated for his honesty at the time. 

21 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

QBs develop at different pace. 

I was watching the greatest coach in the history of the NFL trout out an 11 year vet who was still making basic mistakes and having awareness and mental breakdowns. 

I watched Terry Bradshaw grow up and become a Hall of Famer. 

With our team, it is the mixed messaging is what I have problem with. 

If they are holding players accountable then it they should hold everyone accountable. 

I expect to see more changes.

What's with the talk about in-season evaluation of players? Was that just lip service? 

I guess the in-game preseason is over?

This isn't 1970, good QBs play early today and we can see early if they can play or not.  Ron said every job is competed, which every coach says.  Dwayne really didn't earn that last start with his earlier performances.  He was given an in-season evaluation for 4 games..  He said he left Dwayne in to test him on that 4th and goal.  He responded by checking down 2 seconds into the play when he was told the throw must go into or near the end zone.

He was given every opportunity to hold this job, he literally failed the test.  For him to say he played well given what he had to work with probably moved him from backup to the press box.

I don't understand why the media didn't report on Haskins "abnormally low" watching of film and game prep last year when it was happening?  Especially when the coaches are publicly lying about how he's doing all of the right things.  The dude thought he "arrived" the second he got drafted...and even then thought that he was slighted because Jones was drafted before him.  I didn't think it was possible, but he might just have a bigger ego (and lack of self awareness) than RG3 did.  

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't understand why the media didn't report on Haskins "abnormally low" watching of film and game prep last year when it was happening?  Especially when the coaches are publicly lying about how he's doing all of the right things.  The dude thought he "arrived" the second he got drafted...and even then thought that he was slighted because Jones was drafted before him.  I didn't think it was possible, but he might just have a bigger ego (and lack of self awareness) than RG3 did.  

We heard that when Gruden was here.  Urban Myer told Ron Dwayne needed to be pushed. You can't have that with your QB    He totally has a lot of RGIII in him, I can't believe how many fans can't see that and continue to give excuses for his play and attitude.

So we have the previous coach and now this coach coming to the same conclusions.  We have numerous reports that the people whose specialty is ranking players weren't on board with the pick.  Get it straight guys, virtually the only person who thought taking Haskins at 15 was the right move was one Daniel Snyder.

Let that marinade for a while before you post about how great Dwayne Haskins could be.

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

there was a ton of narrative last year about Dwayne supposedly not working that hard and it was a red flag.  Rivera, Turner and even Doug referenced it without calling Dwanye out in January.  There was also the story that Peterson pushed him to study more, etc.  All of that stuff was discussed on this very thread.

And by most accounts, Dwayne took it to heart in the off season and worked really hard.     As for the WP story, from yesterday that's resurfacing that maybe Haskins during the season hasn't kept that up.  

8 hours ago, megared said:

If Alex Smith is on your team AND Alex Smith is ALWAYS the first/last to arrive/leave...how could Haskins then be first/last to arrive/leave? 

Beyond that, how many of those times was it where Alex's car was in the parking lot, but he was doing individual rehab, training, etc?  I don't think it's a fair comparison to make, especially when you can't/won't articulate how he is preparing below what other 1st rounders ARE doing.  NOT what YOU would like to see/hear them to do.

Missing practices, falling asleep in meetings, hungover at walkthroughs...those are valid.  Not working as hard as a dude that had to work just to save his leg, then his career lacks perspective.  Especially when you're placing that on the shoulders of a 23 year old. 

You’re doing it again, just saying too much to excuse the simple fact that a teammate brought up his work habits and he did nothing to change it. It’s that simple. It doesn’t mean sleeping at the facility. He’s not a rookie anymore, this is year two with a new coaching staff, he should be trying to set a tone and impress people. It’s not hard to see why this is a problem, yet you are doing incredible mental gymnastics to explain it away. 

13 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

All these speculations and drama.  

All we heard was how hard Haskins was working.  Now he doesn't watch films?  

I don't believe any of that.

Working out.  I don't recall hearing much about him being a film nerd or the first and last guy in the building.  Even then, the offseason is always filled with fluff as it's practically the only time to write that stuff with this team.

I'd add that listening to Springs, reading Donaldson's tweet, etc -- gives the vibe that the thought is that this might be a short test for Kyle Allen because the idea is to turn this over to Alex Smith.  Will see. 

I wasn't in love with Alex the player, loved the person, when he was here.  I thought he was just OK at best.  But I do agree with the narrative that he's a real leader and he won't lose the game for you.  If the defense plays well, run game works, etc -- Alex isn't going to blow it, he will keep the train running.  I do think he's the best Qb of the three we got.   I just don't know how I feel about watching him back there, pins and needles that he doesn't get hurt.  He is also definitely not the future considering his age. 

Archived